PDA

View Full Version : How far can my wood stick out of the car? lol

Seth1968
09-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I need to return and replace three 2x8 16 footers to Home Depot asap this morning. I can get them in my car with 8 ft sticking out the back (and a red flag of course). Anyone know the traffic law on this?

I couldn't find anything online, and in my experience with calling the cops on similar issues, I had to leave a message and someone called me back either a few hours later, or the next day.

Seth1968
09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
I need to get going on this, so I called the Lethbridge police and actually got an answer without having to leave a message.

Turns out, anything hanging out beyond 6ft from the back is fine, as long as it's secured and has red flag. I asked if the flag had to be any particualr shade of red, and if I could I use one of my old pink shirts.

"Just red is fine", he replied :)

JRSC00LUDE
09-26-2012, 08:45 AM
The officer that pulled me over said it was indecent exposure for it to stick it out at all.....no matter what is hanging off the end of it.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Turns out, anything hanging out beyond 6ft from the back is fine, as long as it's secured and has red flag.

Nice to see they know their own regulations, lol. A little late, but here you go.

VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATION
Part 1
Division 2

Overhanging load

16(1) During nighttime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lamp on the back of the load.

(2) During daytime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flag that is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

Seth1968
09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Tik-Tok.

He did sound kind of unsure, but I figured he'd be pretty close.

Orange eh? Now I'm having a tough time deciding between pink and fuschia:)