PDA

View Full Version : Attn Lefty Golfers

hockeybronx
02-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm buying new irons this year.

Does anybody know anything about the Titleist PM (Phil Mickelson) Irons. They look pretty sweet they come with cavity back 3,4,5 irons, mid back 5,6 irons, and blade 8,9,PW.

Tell me what you think or have heard because I think I'll buy them. They are expensive (about $1200.00) but I think it's worth it:thumbsup:

Shaolin
02-10-2004, 03:21 PM
if you have old irons that are nice, i'll buy them off of ya.. I'll ask my buddy and see what he knows about the PMs.

hockeybronx
02-10-2004, 06:17 PM
My old irons are Arnold Palmer "Arnies Own". It's an intermediate set. 3 iron to SW.

I'm not sure if I'll sell them or not, I might want to frame them as I fell in love with them over the last four seasons.

I'll let you know, I bought the whole set including the woods for $600.00, but if I decide to sell them we'll work out a good deal.

DUBBED
02-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Two pro's I know use them, apparently they are the best set of irons they've played. I'll warn you now though even those professionals had a hard time with them at first, even though they are a progressive set they arn't as forgiving as a conventional cavity back as they are forged. It would be a perfect way to improve your game though.

JordanLotoski
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
no clue man..lemme know how u like them if you get them..iam a lefty also..i use taylor made:D

hockeybronx
02-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
Two pro's I know use them, apparently they are the best set of irons they've played. I'll warn you now though even those professionals had a hard time with them at first, even though they are a progressive set they arn't as forgiving as a conventional cavity back as they are forged. It would be a perfect way to improve your game though.

Yeah I know that the forged blades are harder to hit but the rewards are worth it. It'll definetely take time to get use to it. I don't consider myself to be a beginner any more, my handicap is 8 so I hope my game will improve even more this year:thumbsup:

blacky
02-10-2004, 10:44 PM
if i were you i would not get them.....im a 5 handicap and i have tried sets of irons where some are cavity backed and some are forged and the two feel completeyly different ....so if ur a good golfer(u say ur an 8 handicap) then you realize how important feel is in a golf club....the feel is completely different with a set like this but to each his own.....just my 2 cents

blacky
02-10-2004, 10:44 PM
if i were you i would not get them.....im a 5 handicap and i have tried sets of irons where some are cavity backed and some are forged and the two feel completeyly different ....so if ur a good golfer(u say ur an 8 handicap) then you realize how important feel is in a golf club....the feel is completely different with a set like this but to each his own.....just my 2 cents

A_3
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
IF you can hit them the rewards are great... IF. You will be able to work the ball more with your club etc... They can also mess up your game pretty bad if you can't. But if you feel you have the confidence to hit a forged club consistently, give'r.

hockeybronx
02-11-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by blacky

Originally posted by A_3
IF you can hit them the rewards are great... IF. You will be able to work the ball more with your club etc... They can also mess up your game pretty bad if you can't. But if you feel you have the confidence to hit a forged club consistently, give'r.

Definetely some good points, that's why I'll be sure to go to Golf Town and try them out. Money is not an issue with irons, I want to make sure I love what I get.

Say what is everybody's recommendations for Drivers. Again I don't really have a price limit.

DUBBED
02-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Say what is everybody's recommendations for Drivers. Again I don't really have a price limit.

Titleist 983E or K
Taylormade R510 Tour Preferred
Mizuno Pro 300s
Cleveland 400cc Launcher

Pacman
02-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Damn, I'm still using a set of 20 year old irons and a 10 year old driver.

Perhaps I should also make a trip to Golf Town

hockeybronx
02-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED

Titleist 983E or K
Taylormade R510 Tour Preferred
Mizuno Pro 300s
Cleveland 400cc Launcher

Yeah I was also thinking about the Launcher but I was thinking the 460 CC. What made you suggest the 400 CC?

What do you think about the new Callaway Hawkeyes?

ryder_23
02-11-2004, 02:21 PM
You sound like a fairly good golfer, especially with clubs your looking at....like a_3 said, forged clubs arnt for the beginners, but if your good at golfing, they can be your best friend....

as for drivers go Titleist 983E or K like dubbed said are great...at demo days at the course i work at, i've tested hundreds of clubs/drivers, and feel titleist driver for me, is by far the best...i can hit it consistantly far (for me) and straight...I tested the callaway hawkeyes, they hit decent, but just didnt feel right for me, but hey, thats just me...go test em all out...just goto a golf dome with demos and try em all out...

A_3
02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
All of those are excellent drivers, but the consenus out there is that the Titleist 983E and K have a slight edge over the others. But it's personal feel so go to golf town, hit them all and buy the one you hit best. Good luck:thumbsup:

hockeybronx
02-11-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
You sound like a fairly good golfer, especially with clubs your looking at....like a_3 said, forged clubs arnt for the beginners, but if your good at golfing, they can be your best friend...

I would consider myself to be pretty decent. Golf is my priority in the summers so I can usually get in about 60-65 rounds at my course, Shaw-Nee Slopes. This being said I don't have a problem putting money into it.

I figure it's better to put money into golf than try and make my 2.0L Jetta fast (turbo, etc.)

That's what attracted me to that Phil Mickelson set, because even the best golfers have trouble with forged long irons. I read some reviews on the internet and I think I will go for them.

As for drivers, it's going to come down to what I like to look at and what feels good. Right now I have a Great Big Bertha and it's been good but it's about 6 years old now.

I'm not really a fan of the Titleist, although they are kick ass drivers I don't really like the sound as much (my friend has a 975J). I'm deciding between the Launcher 460, Great Big Bertha II, and Taylor Made R510 TP drivers.

Still lots of time before Golf Season though:thumbsdow

DUBBED
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Yeah I was also thinking about the Launcher but I was thinking the 460 CC. What made you suggest the 400 CC?

What do you think about the new Callaway Hawkeyes?

Callaway's are shit, they used to make the best drivers in the world but have since gone a long way downhill. Personally I think the 460cc Cleveland is too big, it looks fucking goofy as hell at address and is so hard to swing on plane consistently, since the club is so big it feels likes its wobbling all over the place. I dunno personal preference I guess, I'm just too old skool. :thumbsup:

Pacman
02-11-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm diggin' my Ping Zing 2 driver!!!

DUBBED
02-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
I'm diggin' my Ping Zing 2 driver!!!

hahah thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooo old school.

Pacman
02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I just upgraded to that driver from the wooden Ping Eye 2 I was using.

A2VR6
02-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Well i dont know about you, but i like the Taylor Made 320 Ti Driver alot. I was thinking about buying a R540 but i saw the 320 for about $250 so i jumped at that.

JordanLotoski
02-11-2004, 11:58 PM
i use callaway great big bertha woods driver, 4,7

hockeybronx
02-12-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
i use callaway great big bertha woods driver, 4,7

and?