PDA

View Full Version : Review: Fort Calgary (Wedding venue)

Isaiah
09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
My wife and I were just married this past weekend and chose Fort Calgary as our venue. She had wanted a 'backyard BBQ' theme so we had originally booked at a ranch about an hour out of the city but we had an issue with that venue and had to find an alternate only four weeks before the wedding.

When we went to Fort Calgary, they were incredibly helpful. In spite of having already booked the only room that could accommodate all of our guests to be used for another event, they spoke to the event organizers, told them our dilemma, and they were gracious enough to use another room in order to free up the space for us.

Everything right from the initial meeting was incredibly easy and stress free. Our main contact there was helpful and informative and had great communication with us. We were leaving on a family vacation to Shuswap the day after our initial consultation but we were told not to worry as they would take care of everything.

The day of the wedding, everything worked out perfectly and exactly as planned. They allowed us to have our ceremony outside on the grounds and provided free admittance to the exhibits for all of our guests between the ceremony and reception while the wedding party left for pictures. The ruins and Deane house both provided spectacular photo locations and were both located within a 2 minute drive.

The hall we used (Officer's Mess) has a really neat look and provided a unique formal yet rustic setting. They have a screen which drops electronically (wall switch) and the room is wired with speakers, a mic, and podium for presentations and speeches. But the highlight was definitely the food.

The buffet was--not only by our opinion but also the general consensus of our guests--the best wedding buffet they have ever had. Every dish was perfect, the presentation was stellar, and everything was incredibly fresh and delicious right down to dessert. They have several options for buffets all listed on their website and each option includes choice of two hot entrees, one of which is carved at the buffet by a chef.

Honestly I can't think of any reason to give them less than 10/10. For the service and quality of every aspect of our reception, we would have paid 4-5 times more at any other venue.

As a side note, they are a non-profit organization.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow, that was a short engagement! Are you Mormon?

Isaiah
09-27-2012, 03:04 PM
5 year relationship so it didn't make sense to have a prolonged engagement. No, we're not Mormon.

bspot
09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Sweet, I am glad to hear it as we are having our reception in the Officer's Mess next June.

Kritafo
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
congrats! Thanks I was wondering how the food was at this venue.

Kloubek
09-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Firstly, congratulations!

Knowing they are non-profit would certainly be a draw for some I figure.

Any chance you'll be sharing a couple of pictures to accompany this review so people know what kinds of sceneries and environments are available?

EM1FTW
09-27-2012, 10:21 PM
My cousin got married there a few years back and had nothing but good things to say about their experience as well! +1 for the food being top notch

Isaiah
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Firstly, congratulations!

Knowing they are non-profit would certainly be a draw for some I figure.

Any chance you'll be sharing a couple of pictures to accompany this review so people know what kinds of sceneries and environments are available?
I'll post some shots once we get them back from the photographer.

npham
09-29-2012, 12:34 AM
What did they serve?