PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to start running 5K a day

dj_patm
09-26-2012, 11:32 PM
A few days ago, I had a wake up call.

Scroll down if you wanna skip the backstory.

So I used to be a great runner back in high school. I would always get 100% on the beep test with room to spare, I would be in the leading pack when we went on jogs and I just liked to run. I was always one of "the fast kids".

Since then, I haven't been doing much however. I've been playing on and off in a rec ball hockey league since graduating high school ('07) but that usually only amounts to around 16-25 games a year, and while these games drain your stamina and are an amazing workout (Think about it. You're playing on a normal sized rink, but there is no gliding and no effortless strides like on skates. You run EVERYWHERE), I definitely don't play enough to stay in shape just from them. Outside of ball hockey there are sporadic stretches where I go lift weights at the gym three times a week which usually last around 4 months before I think of some excuse to quit and the occasional sport (skiing, soccer, tennis etc...) but nothing really consistent outside of the hockey.

So fast forward to monday where I had my first ball hockey game since last april and I was DONE after my first shift and it just got worse and worse until I ended up puking at half time. I know I partied pretty hard this summer and especially lately but wow. I've never felt so out of shape in my life... So I decided it's time to do something about it.

START HERE TO SKIP BACK STORY

I've decided I will try to run 5 K at least 4 times a week, outdoors while I can and then in the gym during winter. I don’t really care to race or anything like that; I’m just doing it for me. I don’t really know what kind of time I’m shooting for; I mean I want to be above average for a 23 year old. I should be in my prime, not the sad sack of shit I am now.

Today I set out to run my first 5 K (the main road in my community does an exactly 2.5 km loop so its perfect) and I completely overestimated my endurance and ran at waaaaay to high of a pace. I ran 1.55 miles (or 2.5 km) in 12:40 and I was done. I mean I could barely finish the one loop. I haven’t researched much but from the sound of it my near 8 minute mile pace would put me at a very decent time for the 5K so maybe I’ll consider that my eventual goal. To run a 5K at something close to an 8 minute per mile pace, although from where I’m standing now, that seems like quite a reach.

So any tips? Comments? I don’t really want to change my life or anything like that to make this happen. I just want to start being more active overall and this seems like a good stepping stone.

max_boost
09-27-2012, 12:12 AM
You are crazy! With that said let me know how it goes cause I eff n hate running. I was gonna take up something called 'chi running'. It's offered by my swim coach Grant Molyneux. Utilizes special technique so you won't develop runner's knee? I just want to be able to participate in a triathlon someday.

True/Cool story.

zipdoa
09-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Step out of your comfort zone, change your lifestyle habits, change your diet, change your attitude - change it all for good. Will power is a muscle, learn to work it.

Good for you for making the effort, now just follow through.

Maybe begin with LIIT, and once your cardiovascular output improves, start doing HIIT/custom intervals to suit your desired goals.

Here's a decent guide to improving your cardio and prepping for 5k/10k/half and full marathons:

http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/what-is-interval-training.html

l/l/rX
09-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Today I set out to run my first 5 K (the main road in my community does an exactly 2.5 km loop so its perfect) and I completely overestimated my endurance and ran at waaaaay to high of a pace. I ran 1.55 miles (or 2.5 km) in 12:40 and I was done. I mean I could barely finish the one loop. I haven’t researched much but from the sound of it my near 8 minute mile pace would put me at a very decent time for the 5K so maybe I’ll consider that my eventual goal. To run a 5K at something close to an 8 minute per mile pace, although from where I’m standing now, that seems like quite a reach.

I run anywhere from 3-5 times a week depending on the weather outside. I hate running on treadmills for some reason. I do on average 6.2min/km, averaging 1hr 3min/ 10km. I was thinking about doing the corporate challenge 10km run until I started talking to some of those guys and they were aiming for a 42min race time. Just to kind of give you a ball park of what some other people can do.

I actually just started to run a lot this year, I find it super relaxing after work, go out, get a tan, listen to music, clears my head. You definitely need a good pair of runners if you're going to be doing long distance running, helps A LOT!

Talk about puking, I did a 7km run a day after I got back from a 15 day euro binge trip, yakked my guts out around km 5.2 along memorial. :rofl:

phreezee
09-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Get good shoes to prevent injuries. I'd go 2 km increments starting at 3/5/7km. Get a gps running watch, and set a target pace and go for it while monitoring your heart rate so you know when to slow down and not go over the cliff. I'm a slow cripple myself but can manage anywhere from 4:30-6min/km depending on the day and distance. Good luck!:thumbsup:

kertejud2
09-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

I run anywhere from 3-5 times a week depending on the weather outside. I hate running on treadmills for some reason.

I can't imagine how anybody could like it. The only time I use them is as a cool down; walk for 10-20 minutes while watching whatever sport is on the TV.

dj_patm
09-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Incase anyone is wondering, 8 min/mile = 5 min/km

Originally posted by zipdoa
Here's a decent guide to improving your cardio and prepping for 5k/10k/half and full marathons:

http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/what-is-interval-training.html

Awesome link. Thank you. Insane that people can run a 6:15 min/mile pace for 5K. Absolutely nuts.

I don't know if I want to go for an all out lifestyle change. At least not this young... I'm still having fun. I just want to be able to call myself "in good shape".

Originally posted by phreezee
Get good shoes to prevent injuries. I'd go 2 km increments starting at 3/5/7km. Get a gps running watch, and set a target pace and go for it while monitoring your heart rate so you know when to slow down and not go over the cliff. I'm a slow cripple myself but can manage anywhere from 4:30-6min/km depending on the day and distance. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Yeah I definitely need to get shoes and I want to get one of those watches. Last time I ran holding my IPod Nano :bigpimp:

bigbadboss101
09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Add some sprints and high intensity, short spurt exercises too.

dj_patm
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
My sprinting is still fast but I wouldn't mind being able to do it for longer.

That is one thing that has stayed with me from high school, I can out sprint the vast majority of people. I really want to time my 100m but don't know where/how

nzwasp
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
as an aside: Do those GPS nike watches require you to have nike shoes in order to measure your heartrate or can they just do it at your wrist?

nzwasp
09-27-2012, 09:08 AM
. I really want to time my 100m but don't know where/how

I know that they did this at Canada Olympic oval for the olympic athletes before the summer games, maybe you can ring some of the staff there and arrange something for you.

dj_patm
09-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I mean if I could find a track that has a 100m straight I could do it myself (with someone timing) it doesn't need to be exact.

phreezee
09-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Last time I ran holding my IPod Nano :bigpimp:

If you have the last gen nano, the Lunatik's are clearing out 50% off using PROMO CODE=LASTCHANCE. Shipping sucks though.

EDIT: and for shoes SportChek F&F 25% off ends today:

http://www.fglsports.com/hosting/09-24-12/atmf13_e_friendsfamily.jpg

l/l/rX
09-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Yeah I definitely need to get shoes and I want to get one of those watches. Last time I ran holding my IPod Nano :bigpimp: [/B]

I run with my cell phone in hand and use the runkeeper app. A lot of my friends actually use the run keeper app check it out, it's good and it's free. I've only read mediocre reviews on the Nike timing shoes/ apple/ watches

a social dsease
09-27-2012, 01:39 PM
My only advice is to go for it! Just start slow, don't even worry about times for a few weeks.

I just started doing running a few weeks ago, usually I do 10km in 45-47mins. I think a good time to aim for on a 5km run would be 25mins, then work on getting it down from there.

I do it on a treadmill, I find it to be alot easier on my knees.

Good luck!

*Edit: The other good thing about the treadmill is you can set your pace. When I run on the road I always start out too fast, then slow down, then fast, and so on. Treadmill is good because you just set it to whatever speed, then if you feel good increase a bit, and so on. I bet my times would be 5-10% slower running on the road vs treadmill.*

Projek01
09-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Sounds similar to what I have experienced. Felt out of shape after playing ball hockey. I started with 2K and basically added anywhere from 0.2-0.5km every time I ran. Eventually hit 5KM with a time of 28min. Starting to improve on the time now. I use the nike+ app on my android and it is pretty good. It measures your pace throughout the run so you know if you are getting too tired towards the end. The only thing it doesnt monitor is my heart rate.

98type_r
09-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
My only advice is to go for it! Just start slow, don't even worry about times for a few weeks.

For the first week or two you might even want to just stop at the one loop. The worst thing end up with an overuse injury that takes weeks to heal.

CaptainReboot
09-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I run quite regularly and I'm going to try to do the Calgary half marathon next year. I hope to do it I under 2 hours. My fastest 5K was 23 mins but can't keep that pace for the 10K.

I'd recommend starting in a treadmill to get your endurance up. It'll also be easier on the joints as they have bounce so your muscles get used to the impact.

I use the Nike+ app on my iPhone and I have currently logged 1,696km since I started to use it. Its nice to have something that tracks your progress, it definitely gives some motivation.

JC522
09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I started running earlier this year, I set out to run 5km and I only ran 3.5km. Huffing and puffing and an all around feeling of wanting to die. I then bought the nike chip for my shoe and downloaded the nike running app. It gives you quite a bit of motivation and tracks your stats against other runners and tells you how you stack up.

While I run I like to set small goals, I'll jog until I think I need to stop and I find a small lightpost or something up ahead and tell myself, "Okay, I'll run up to that lightpost then I'll take a short break and walk for a few meters." When I get to the light post I'll set another goal instead of stopping to walk. I really think running is a mental thing.

Also I've been more motivated to run since I got the nike running app because it turns it into a competitive thing and I love competition. It allows me to compete against myself and other nike+ runners. My fastest 5k was 19min 19sec and 3 months earlier I completed the 3.5km in almost half an hour.

r3ccOs
09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
i didn't get to read through the entire thread, but I'd prefer to run to supplement my cardio base than use a stationary bike or elliptical trainer

I still play soccer, hockey and ski...
to maintain leg strength and balance I rely on hockey, my skiing and leg presses, however to ensure anerobic conditioning and to ensure my legs are conditioned to all sorts of impact... running is a must

I say running 3-4 days a week for 5k (kept at a pace under 27 minutes) is good to maintaining or developing a good base, as long as you do other intense anerobic sports as well

with a good diet and weight training routine, you can get ripped quickly too

getting back into running takes time... not so much the motion, but the impact and the muscle development, as well as things like progressing distance with time as capiliaries need to also extend to those area's that were more or less atrophied to that type of activity

scboss
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM
When I was wrestling/boxing 4x week I use to run outside or at MRU everyday.
Things I purchased
1 pair of shoes for nice days/indoor
1 pair of shoes for snow/rain
Under Armor thermo hoodie (Also waterproof)
Breakable Gel Hand warmers
Heartrate monitor

You should purchase a heartrate monitor that way if you start gassing you can monitor your pace and keep it a bit lower. It helps alot with increasing your volume slowly over time.

Definitly get wet/snow gear tho. I use to make so many excuses when it rained or snowed. Now I have zero.

klumsy_tumbler
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
This is a really interesting thread. I've recently started running as well (like 2 weeks ago), and I've been doing 5k 2-3 times a week.

I need to get a better pair of running shoes I think, though, as I am starting to get shin splints again (got it bad enough when I was younger that I gave myself stress-fractures... would rather not go through that again!) and I can feel the Osgood's coming on again in my knee. I was thinking that a trip to the Running Room would be needed to get some expert insight...

I was also wanting to get a monitor to measure my bpm while I run, any suggestions? I've heard of a lot that have chest straps, but I would kind of prefer a watch or something similar to that.

Also, just as an aside: my pace/km for a 5K is anywhere from 5'05" to 5'25"... lots of room for improvement. Shooting for my dad's pace of 6min/mile eventually :D

Good luck with your running OP! Share updates/improvements when you can :)

Penguin_Racecar
10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

I need to get a better pair of running shoes I think, though, as I am starting to get shin splints again (got it bad enough when I was younger that I gave myself stress-fractures... would rather not go through that again!)

Shin splints are usually caused by pointing your toes/feet upward too much before landing. Hopefully that helps - might be worth while to read up on running technique to make sure you're striking properly and have proper posture.

A2VR6
10-31-2012, 12:53 AM
I find that intervals work really well to get your pace up. When I first started running I could barely keep a 10 min/mile pace. I then started doing 5 mins on a 10 min/mile pace, then 2 mins on a 8 min/mile pace then back to 5 mins on 10 min/mile. By doing this I found that I could eventually sustain 8 min/mile.

I find that I cant stand treadmills at all.. I just get bored being on one. I hate running as it is but if I run by the river and have stuff to look at the time/distance seem to go by easily.

Khyron
11-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Volume and consistency is key, at least for many many many months. Try and run 5-6 times a week. A sample to try would be 3 3ks, 2 6ks and a 9k on the weekend with a day off.

Guys who run 2-3 times a week but try and get all their volume with a huge long run on the weekend either stay slow or get hurt. Same with the guys who sprint twice a week.

I'm anywhere from 30-90km/week and it really does make a difference.