PDA

View Full Version : Condo Documents Question

phaneufed
09-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know if condo owners have the right to request free copies of the Condo's documents (bylaws, minutes, etc)?

I'm being referred to condopaperes.com by the property management company, which charges an absurd $15.00 for each of the monthly condo minutes.

bookem
09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
You do not have the right to request free copies. The condo management often mails annual documents (budget/insurance) but otherwise they are not obligated to provide documents for free.

TomcoPDR
09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by bookem
You do not have the right to request free copies. The condo management often mails annual documents (budget/insurance) but otherwise they are not obligated to provide documents for free.

+1

OP, you can always see if your neighbours have copies and just photocopy from that.

I did it with one condo, just knocked on a neighbours door and asked, lol... Asked if I could borrow it for 30mins, ran to local Staples.

JordanLotoski
09-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Management companies are supposed to be working for you yet they line their pockets on condo docs all the time. Your lucky they are available on Condopapers as dealing with the management company is a nightmare.

colsankey
10-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Just recently requested my condo documents for a property.

Cost? $147 and that doesnt even get you a hard copy, just a link and password valid for 72 hours to D/L a PDF. Colour me not impressed.

chibwack
10-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Jesus. Could you get them free if you joined the condo board? Is that even an option?

JordanLotoski
10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
its funny that condo owners hire these Management companies to work for them, only to have the employee charge the owners for their own documents.

nutella
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by chibwack
Jesus. Could you get them free if you joined the condo board? Is that even an option?

Nope. Board members don't even get to set the price for the items appearing on condo papers.

The management company that my Board deals with, wanted to me to take down the pdfs of documents that I scanned and uploaded to our condo website. They wanted to refer everyone to condo papers...they backed off when I pointed out those documents weren't part of the list they had available on condo papers.

Your best bet is a neighbor who keeps everything that the management company sends. Or send an email to the Board - there's gotta be at least one person who would keep a copy of everything.

Cos
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Mys73ri0
10-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

2.) 99.99% of the people who live in a condo board want to complain about flowers, their neighbors, or parking. They dont give two shits about the state of the complex or the financials.

So true, the condo I live in they spent more time freaking out about getting better gym equipment and what type of landscaping should be put in the courtyard instead of finding ways to stop vandilism, theft, fixing the heat and dogs taking shits inside the building...

You could try someone who just moved in as there's a possibility they requested condo docs. Just pretend you're a neighbor welcoming them to the complex and slip the question in.