PDA

View Full Version : Changing Dentists

bignerd
09-27-2012, 02:18 PM
If you change dentists, is the old dentist required to give you your xrays?

I just tried out a new dentist after not having been to one for a long time, had a check up and xrays done and I am not sure I really like him (I am very hard to freeze for dental work and he just sort of brushed my concerns off).

If I want to see someone else will they give me my xrays, I just had them done so don't want to have to re-do them at a new place if I choose to leave.

Machi
09-28-2012, 11:54 AM
IIRC, any x-rays within the last 2 years are still valid.. so yeah, your new dentist should be able to get them from your old one.

adidas
09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Your new dentist will request the xrays from your previous doctor, however he is not obligated to send them off to your new dentist.

speedog
09-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Machi
IIRC, any x-rays within the last 2 years are still valid.. so yeah, your new dentist should be able to get them from your old one.
How so - lots can change in a 2 year span.

Machi
09-29-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by speedog
How so - lots can change in a 2 year span.

Yeah I'm not sure.. but that's what I was told when I recently switched dentists. :dunno:

VWEvo
09-29-2012, 02:14 PM
X-rays actually belong to you and the current dentist must send them to your new dentist. Some might have you sign a privacy form and the only other hiccup is that you don't have an outstanding balance.

kvg
09-29-2012, 02:20 PM
If you new place, this place is awesome.

http://www.friendsandfamilydentalhealth.com/

bignerd
09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah I tried my husbands dentist... I take ativan before having dental work done (crowns, root canals, fillings) and he made it seem like it was a big hassle for me to do this.

My lower jaw is very hard to freeze and since finding this out the hard way, I now have high anxiety about getting dental work done whenever freezing is required.

I have an appointment next week to get some fillings done since my benefits run out soon so will take my ativan and see how this guy does at the freezing. He's kind of an ass but if he can freeze my lower jaw I'll stick with him. If its an ordeal, then I will have to look around for another dentist.

Just wanted to know since I still have a couple fillings to do after this, if I don't like him, if I can take my xrays and go elsewhere. Didn't want xrays again since they were just done last week.

D'z Nutz
09-29-2012, 02:48 PM
If you're looking for a new place, I'd recommend Concept Dentistry on 17th ave. I used to HATE going to the dentist cause of my old guy to the point where I was averaging one visit per 6 years but now I'm going regularly haha

Concept Dentistry is run by an old school Beyonder too :thumbsup:

kvg
09-29-2012, 03:03 PM
A beyonder owns mine now, lol

suntan
09-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
Yeah I tried my husbands dentist... I take ativan before having dental work done (crowns, root canals, fillings) and he made it seem like it was a big hassle for me to do this.

My lower jaw is very hard to freeze and since finding this out the hard way, I now have high anxiety about getting dental work done whenever freezing is required.I used to think this too. My old dentist once shot me 13 times and I could still feel the drill.

But the last time I got a filling, I went to Arbour Lake; Dr. Lettich. I told him that I was hard to freeze, he nodded, he gave me ONE shot, and I was frozen cold in 10 minutes. He then gave me a new filling in about 5 minutes. He's a total pro.

zipdoa
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Go see VWEvo. He's the man. Super cute staff too :thumbsup:

Masked Bandit
10-03-2012, 01:03 PM
If you can find a dentist that uses lasers for fillings, I highly recommend it. No freezing needed. I don't freeze very well either but my guy (not accepting new patients) started using the laser about 8 - 10 years ago. A filling is 20 minutes from sitting down to walking out the door, and that includes prep time. I haven't had freezing in close to a decade now.

bignerd
10-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Interesting, never have had the laser before. Can they use that on all fillings though or only smaller ones? Not sure what the limitations of it are, but it sounds nice.

Whoever recommended the place with the cute staff, I am a female so not really a deal maker for me unless the dental assistants are male?

I will say one thing, they did freeze me with only two needles, however, I have to go back after the holiday to get my 2 day old filling repaired as a large chunk of it seems to of gone AWOL last night... The appointment I made for the other fillings will be cancelled after the repair.

Seems there is this nice catch 22 with insurance.... I tried to see if another dentist would see me to repair the filling today (the dentist that did it is closed FRI/SAT/SUN/MON for the holiday and does not have any emerg contact info anywhere on their voicemail or website).

Insurance will not pay to have the same tooth filled again within 12 months, even if it is a repair or you are in pain, even if your dentist is closed for four days in a row and leaves you up shit creek. Any dentist that has not seen you before wants another xray and check-up, also not covered by insurance if it was done recently.

Thankfully the tooth is only bothering me a little bit so I should be able to make it until Tuesday and save myself a few hundred bucks.

zipdoa
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Whoever recommended the place with the cute staff, I am a female so not really a deal maker for me unless the dental assistants are male?

Uhhh... yea... I was totally talking about Dr. Dhesi... what a stud! :D

Seriously, Ranchlands Dental is awesome.

Unknown303
10-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I need a dentist in the SW with easy on the eyes staff... :dunno: