09-28-2012, 03:22 PM
First time going to Maui Hawaii, during the week of christmas

what are some must Sees/Do's
or suggested activities?

any suggestions are appreciated!

I do plan on renting a car for my entire stay there

Tik-Tok
09-28-2012, 03:27 PM
The rapids are pretty fun. So is the F1 track, you can rent an actual F1 car (limited speed of course) and do it. Also base jumping off the Burj Khalifa is pretty cool too.

Also make sure to check out these many many other threads on the subject.

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&q=maui&searchid=10718333&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

HuMz
09-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Where is the F1 track with rentals? Did a search on google and can't seem to find it.

Tik-Tok
09-28-2012, 03:57 PM
About a 90 minute drive SE of the Burj Khalifa

msommers
09-28-2012, 04:55 PM
:confused: Isn't that Dubai?!

Anyways, road to Hana is fun. Do the full circle unless it's been raining a lot, the southern part could be washed out. The NE road from Wailuku to Lahaina is also fun but 1 lane most of the way. There is a sign for "best banana bread in the world" so it might be worth stopping; was too late when I rolled in!

100%, get the Maui reveal guidebook if you want to do the road to hana. Personally I'd suggest to stay at least a night in Hana. It's tough to see everything or even close to half at a pace you're going to enjoy. We left at 6am, did the southern road first - which is what I'd suggest as the crowds haven't got there yet - and got to Hana late afternoon. Stopped at the black sand beach for a bit and ended up driving most of the northern section facing the sun and in the dark, didn't bother stopping much at all here. Paia has great seafood thankfully.

Good snorkeling south of Kihei, I'd probably stay there next time. A daytrip to Lanai would be worthwhile to see the whales and dolphins up close. I got my open water diving certification there, quite a few shore and boat dives if that's your thing.

Defintely get up to see the sunrise at the top of the volcano (Haleakala), it's worth it but dress warm. I had my fleece coat, hoodie and a toque with gloves. It's not really THAT cold but when you're used to 25+, it's a shocker. I'd encourage you to go up even earlier than you would to take in some amazing star gazing.

Speaking of food, hit up the groceries stores for some poke.

My summary of Maui is below:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/pondering-hawaii/showthread.php?s=&postid=3917994#post3917994

HuMz
09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
About a 90 minute drive SE of the Burj Khalifa
Do you have a link or the name of the place, I'm leaving to Maui in a couple weeks and can't seem to find anything on it.

Edit: like mentioned I think your thinking of Dubai?

Tik-Tok
09-28-2012, 07:02 PM
:facepalm:

HuMz
09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I kinda figured there was sarcasm in that, but considering I wasn't the thread starter I wasn't sure if you made a honest mistake mentioning dubai, or were just being a all around dick.

Tik-Tok
09-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
I kinda figured there was sarcasm in that, but considering I wasn't the thread starter I wasn't sure if you made a honest mistake mentioning dubai, or were just being a all around dick.

I was being a dick with a point. There's so many threads about Maui, it's ridiculous. Searching just isn't that difficult.

redline
10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Holy shit mega baller to go there over Xmas... Flights are crazy expensive and so are hotels.

lorenzo
10-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Things to do:
Road to Hana where you will find the 7 sacred pool and a 2 hour hike where you will go through the bamboo forest then reach a 400 ft waterfall.
sunrise or sunset at Halaekala Crater
snorkeling at Molokini Crater/turtle bay
snorkeling at Black rock by the Sheraton Resort. Also diving ceremony during sunset.
shop and chill at Front Street. West Maui
Another shopping and chilling place at Whalers Village West Maui
snorkeling at Napili Bay. West Maui
There are two Luaus' in Maui. I've only gone to Old Lahaina Luau and it was pretty good in my opinion
Kihei. South Maui. Lots of beaches/resto
Wailea. Futher south. Wailea mall more upscale shop

Places to eat:
Mama's fish house. Pricey and reservation required but worth it. Town of Paia
The Gazebo. Always a line up but their food is top notch. Macadamia pancakes all the way! West Maui
Fresh Poke at any fish market as mentioned above + cold beer. Ftw!
Also, don't forget to try Ulelani's shaved ice at Front Street and Yogurt Land at Whalers Village. West Maui
Crispy Cream. Hahah i missed the original glaze. They are open 24/7 and it's only 5 min from the airport incase you have a late flight

There's an app for Maui's best places to visit etc. look it up.
Ps. They usually have parties every weekend at Front Street. You should check out the Maui website

I personally preffer staying in the west side of Maui. I find it more chill and relaxing. But the locals are nice wherever you go. Shakas everywhere!

December is winter season, Whale season. We went In Feb earlier this year and it was one of the busiest months to visit Maui... and expensive. My fiancè and I went back again just last month to book our wedding venues. Getting Mauid next year!

Akumaz
10-02-2012, 09:16 AM
thanks guys for the replys and links
i'll be sure to check out the f-1 tracks when i go to Dubai =)

i always wanted to try snorkeling, this will be a great opportunity to do so