PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this salvage title car

Cos
09-30-2012, 04:03 PM

Zero102
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Fuck no!

It takes a lot of damage to write off a 1 year old car of any make...
My (at the time) 10 month old Elantra was hit in the rear, then the guy drove up the entire driver's side of my car. They had it in the shop, cut out part of the quarter panel, replaced every single other panel on the driver's side, replaced the rear bumper and all of the supports then painted that entire side of the car. The total bill? $8000. To write off a new focus would take at least $12-15k, that is serious stuff.

Also, I still have panel fitment issues, paint match issues, paint peeling and cracking issues and new rattles from the repairs.

You are already suspect that the mechanical bits have not been fixed correctly, what makes you think they did anything else properly? Run away as fast as you can IMO. The certification program in our province is a big joke and requires almost no accountability on the part of the people who fixed and recertified the car.

Graham_A_M
09-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I'd consider it, but I'd have a mechanic go over it with a very fine tooth comb to check for things you have missed, or he neglected to fix. $11k off is a great deal, but Id put a conditional deposit on it. Stating that any additional repairs need to be negotiated into the price, or fixed. Same with the rebuilt inspection if it hasn't been done already.

An intake manifold wont be too much to buy new, as I highly doubt you'll find a good used one on ebay off of a crashed car (given how new it is), so keep that in mind. If its "JB welded" then thats just a bandaid fix. With all the heat expansion & cooling, I can see the "weld" going fairly soon, leave alone with winter coming up soon.

Cos
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Cos
09-30-2012, 05:08 PM

ddduke
09-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Well talked to Ratfink who is a Ford tech and FUCK NO I am not getting near this thing. May as well look at a 2013 now. Haha

elaborate?

Cos
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM

know1edge
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Only thing left is to make sure we can register it as a rebuilt and he also has to get the airbag light reset.

I am thinking of asking him to get the airbag light reset before I buy it. Anything else?

Originally posted by Cos
The ABS modules are said to be replace only due to an accelerometer or something along those lines. Since the ABS light is on there is a good chance this wasnt changed.

:confused:

Cos
09-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Rat Fink
09-30-2012, 10:56 PM

G-ZUS
10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
If the ABS light was on, he must have "paid" one of his "buddies" to overlook it, possibly not even do the inspection and just sign the paperwork. Situations like this are what shy me away from buying rebuilt cars. Salvage cars I'd buy then get them fixed myself. Cos, do you remember what shop did the inspection?

Cos
10-01-2012, 08:38 AM

Tik-Tok
10-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Thanks for the note Rat! That is crazy. All the sensors, all the airbags. I can tell you 100% that wasnt completed. Im going to Cam Clark today to look at what a 2013 can be had for.

Screw the Focus, get a Raptor... :D

Cos
10-01-2012, 09:57 AM

spikerS
10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
should seriously talk to Bruce man. Guy is awesome.

Glad to know your common sense prevailed and you walked away from the russian focus.

urban.one
10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Can you post a link to the add (better yet a screenshot) and the VIN of the salvage focus so if someone is considering buying it and searches, they can find this thread? Sounds like a buyer could get screwed and get an unsafe car.

know1edge
10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Guy who is selling the car said the light just needs to be reset and suggested me to his 'buddy' at another place that could deal with it. I wanted the seller to deal with the light first but he pushed me taking care of it because he doesnt want to register it to drive it there.

Ford Tech said that they are said to be replace only units AND people have been found to be tricking the systems using resistors only on rebuilt cars.

ABS = anti lock braking system?

Cos
10-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Graham_A_M
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by know1edge
ABS = anti lock braking system?

You got it! :thumbsup:

COS, why dont you check out some US Focus' ?

There are some wicked deals to be had, south of the border that aren't rebuilt titles.

LOL I just wrote "Tittles" by accident before I corrected it. :nut:

Im REALLY starting to regret buying a Calgary car rather then buying slightly used US car. :thumbsdow

Cos
10-01-2012, 05:38 PM