PDA

View Full Version : Need A Window Cored In Basement

ercchry
10-01-2012, 10:26 AM
anyone on here do this type of thing? i need just the most basic of bedroom windows put into a room in my basement, there is no existing window. i need everything done, the hole made, whatever kind of structural stuff done that goes along with such a thing, permits if required, i dunno, i dont do construction.

pm me if you want

ercchry
10-13-2012, 04:33 PM
no one?!

Unknown303
10-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I used to work for CanWest Concrete Cutting and Coring when I first moved to Calgary. I know they cut windows in basements but I'm not sure what was all required. We'd just show up and the hole was already dug around the foundation and we'd chop in a window.

http://canwestconcrete.com/windows-doors

Looks like they still do them. Give them a call they probably know what's required for permits etc.

whydontchathen
10-20-2012, 04:42 AM
I had a basement window for a bedroom cut out last year, and here's what I remember about that:

If you're doing it and you want it to be to code (egress), you can either go for a BIG window that slides open only 50% of the opening -- slide to the left, or slide to the right (y-know-what-I-mean?)

Or you can do what I did since I didn't want a window well and my window was going to be VERY close to ground level (< 3 in). I got a window from Lux that swings out so that the whole size of the window is opening and that way it was to code.

I know I'm not explaining this well at all, but I hope you get the gist of it.

The company I got was Cut n Rock (Kyle), and the whole cost of the operation, with Cut n Rock, + a private window installer/finisher, + the window, was $1900 to me.

PS: the window installer that worked for me did the digging, and yes, there had to be a big, deep hole on the outside of the foundation so that the cutting contraption could fit in to do the cutting.... approx 3 feet deep and 3 feet out from the house.

PPS: oh it's all coming back to me now! :barf: When you go to order the window they're going to ask you "how thick is your basement wall?" and also you have to decide if you want them to do a pre-finshed sill (if that's what it's called), or if your window installer is going to do a custom sill. I went with the custom sill, that way I didn't have to be precise on the exact thickness of the foundation wall. And also, you're going to have to tell the window company the dimensions of the window, and the concrete company the dimensions of the hole you want cut. And between the two of them, there has to be some wooden window framing on the inside of the cut hole, so how are you supposed to know those exact measurements, and that's what they need, exact measurements. So I think you're better off hiring a company (Western Windows?) to take care of all those decisions. I prob didn't save a penny doing it the way I did, but that was my first and last foray into cutting a basement window..... :barf:

Best of luck!