PDA

View Full Version : How to get into IT?

Shax
10-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Long story short, I moved to Calgary with dreams of designing that have so fall fallen short so I am looking to get into another technology. IT has always interested me and I have done the odd job myself over the years (lots of Google!) and I am just wondering how someone get into this field?

Anything I should be aware of before running head first into this? Haha

snoop101
10-01-2012, 02:20 PM
There is two different IT people.

There is the ones that started on a commodore, 386 or apple back in the days. They grew up with computers and love them like they are their children.

The other people used computers on and off and went to school for them. This really shows but over time with some experience can be good as well.

Both will easy get started in Calgary doing helpdesk work or even deskside. Your best bet is to get a nice helpdesk position and stay there for a year and most likely this will be a contract (unless your super lucky) If you have no schooling then push that you work with computers as a hobby at home and have love for them.

One thing you will find out in IT is that there is some really smart people and there is some just stupid people that would struggle at Mc Donalds, but yet they still get good pay.

Also a good reason to do a 1-2 year helpdesk contract is that you can see what you enjoy. It would suck to take courses on a subject to find out you hate it or its not used often.

Boosted131
10-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I do i.t. and to get into it took network tech course at sait... they help you find a practicum and usually the company will hire you on after if you're doing a good job!

clem24
10-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Has the pay improved somewhat doing help desk? What's the average salary nowadays? I started life out of Uni in help desk (yes I was one of those who grew up with x86s and actually had to fiddle with IRQs, drivers, and upper memory management hahaha), but found out soon after I lost my first job that it was basically a dead end, low paying job and immediately switched careers.

I think the key is to specialize in something (database management is a good field I think as is network management though I think an internet related field like specialized web design and optimization might be the way to go to really make it big - only problem is you better be damn good at your field). My biggest gripe was that (at the time) getting certification in something (like Microsoft, Oracle, etc...) was going to run me $25k, and I said, fuck, for (practically) free I can actually do something that would pay me much better and went ahead with getting an accounting designation.

Mibz
10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I think the key is to specialize in something I think this is pretty much it. It's obviously nice to start out in a general position and get your hands on as much as possible to figure out what you like, but if you want consistent work and good pay then it'll be easier if you specialize.

Anomaly
10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
:werd:
Chances are good if you don't have some specialty you'll be stuck in service desk\deskside forever. Some of the SAIT programs are a good start, it also helps if you know someone that can help get you an entry level job. I know a couple guys who got there start doing large migrations, roll outs, hardware refreshes, etc. And they had very little experience.

.jl-
10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
A lot of IT employers really look to see if you have any certs. There are certs for pretty much all specialties in IT (help desk, networking, programming, system design/architecture, etc)

Mibz
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
We've had the cert discussion before and the general consensus is that having an entry-level cert will help you get a job in the first place but, after that, most of what you need to know will come from on-the-job training and experience.

I got my CCNP out of school, and it was ridiculously helpful, so I started towards my CCNP Security. Halfway through my IPS studying I realized that I already knew most of the relevant information and all I was memorizing was Cisco-specific syntax, gear, etc.

So I wrote the IPS exam just to renew my CCNP and probably won't write another until it's time to renew again. I might take a VMWare course in the future, just because I can't really get my hands on an enterprise implementation at the moment but I want to learn it. That's more for me though, not just to put on my resume.

adam c
10-02-2012, 11:52 AM
A lot of IT nowadays unfortunately is becoming a who you know much like oil and gas, the last few people to get hired at my work were friends of one of the VP's, granted they are pretty good at what they do, other people lost the opportunity due to this

CapnCrunch
10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

One thing you will find out in "Any career in Calgary" is that there is some really smart people and there is some just stupid people that would struggle at Mc Donalds, but yet they still get good pay.

Fixed

Vagabond142
10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Has the pay improved somewhat doing help desk? What's the average salary nowadays?

I think the average starting is $40k-$45k with a couple of certs, or $35-$38ish if you're coming in fresh and with just an A+

With my A+, a couple of firewall certs, and some history with MSCE 2k8 R2 course (not certed), I'm making a little above the upper average I quoted above.

TimH
10-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

I got my CCNP out of school, and it was ridiculously helpful, so I started towards my CCNP Security. Halfway through my IPS studying I realized that I already knew most of the relevant information and all I was memorizing was Cisco-specific syntax, gear, etc.

So I wrote the IPS exam just to renew my CCNP and probably won't write another until it's time to renew again.

You know you have to pass all the CCNP security exams within a span of three years starting from when you pass the first exam. It sounds like you're planning to take an exam every three years just to renew your CCNP R&S. If you pass all your CCNP security exams at the end you won't actually have the CCNP Security certificiation, you'll just have past all the exams since the initial exams passed would be older than three years. I'm not sure if you know that or not.

Mibz
10-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah, sorry, I should have specified that I won't write any Cisco exam until it's time to renew. It probably won't be a CCNP Security exam when the time comes, but we'll see. I have no desire to get my CCNP Security anymore.

firebane
10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
tany reputable place in calgary that someone could challenge the a+ exam? or perhaps online?

I have noticed that unless you have something like this in calgary most places won't look at you.

cgyITguy
10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Going to SAIT was the smartest thing I ever did, but at a very minimum get some certs. There are tons of IT jobs in Calgary, once you get your foot in the door you will rise rapidly. Within 5 years you can easily be making 60K - 100K, have benefits galore, work from home a lot, meet tons of new people. Just got to pay your dues in the first couple years

r3ccOs
10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
write your A+ and throw your resume at all 500 O&G companies in town!

forget learning about SCADA, Resovoir modeling, Accumap systems... just do it!

JustinMCS
10-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Take courses offered by CompTia, like A+, PDI+ certification. Do you want hardware or software? Deskside support? Server related?

r3ccOs
10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Take courses offered by CompTia, like A+, PDI+ certification. Do you want hardware or software? Deskside support? Server related?

IT has a huge business side as well...
service management - service delivery, product management, project management, ITBA work, BPM, BI, etc...

saying "I want to work in IT" is like saying I want to work in O&G...

want to be a righand, fracing chemist or do you want to trade commodities?

Florida_Son
10-09-2012, 08:52 PM
What about a guy that has a bachelors in Communications (Advertising/PR), an A+, more than 10 years of web design/support experience, and two other off-the-cuff certs that don't really matter (Certified Internet Site Designer and Server Administrator)?

Will I have a chance at a help desk or junior business analyst position in Calgary? My apologies for hijacking the OPs thread. Pretty nice discussion.

Mibz
10-10-2012, 07:01 AM
If you've got an A+ and you're not retarded then there's no reason you can't get a helpdesk job here.

npham
10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Florida_Son
What about a guy that has a bachelors in Communications (Advertising/PR), an A+, more than 10 years of web design/support experience, and two other off-the-cuff certs that don't really matter (Certified Internet Site Designer and Server Administrator)?

Will I have a chance at a help desk or junior business analyst position in Calgary? My apologies for hijacking the OPs thread. Pretty nice discussion.

Jr BA at an O&G company might be hard, but if you have enough relevant experience with their systems/software you might have a chance. But helpdesk for sure.

Florida_Son
10-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, glad to hear that. What's the best approach when a candidate is coming from another province? Would it be best to just line up some interviews beforehand and then drive out for about a week?

sabad66
10-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I would just apply. Check out metafore.ca if you want some contract work. Saw some junior help desk positions on there.

Florida_Son
10-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
I would just apply. Check out metafore.ca if you want some contract work. Saw some junior help desk positions on there.

Alright thanks. Appreciate all the help.

zeensheen
10-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

chibwack
10-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Comp sci major! Probably not in the books, but if I had to go back and couldn't do another finance/economics, that'd be my next pick. Lots of money, can work in literally any industry, and its not always super "geeky" stuff either. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Boosted131
10-18-2012, 10:36 PM
What are the good paying fields in i.t? I've been it in for 2 years and wondering what to focus on

rx7boi
10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
SAP analysts bank some pretty good money. Some will make 100k + with enough experience. SAP courses cost a shitload.

Others include senior systems analyst or anything to do with security you'll be making at least 80k.

Shax
11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
So followup to this thread.

After taking some of your advice I have landed myself a job within the field. It is a contracted position and shift work which as a 9-5er is new to me.

The shift is 7 days on 7 days off with the first shift on days and the second shift on nights with 12 hour shifts. What have I gotten myself into here! :nut: Pay is pretty typical of what has been mentioned in the thread. Hopefully this is a good change, the shift work will be a little rough at first but only working half the year is alright with me.

Cheers!

firebane
11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Shax
So followup to this thread.

After taking some of your advice I have landed myself a job within the field. It is a contracted position and shift work which as a 9-5er is new to me.

The shift is 7 days on 7 days off with the first shift on days and the second shift on nights with 12 hour shifts. What have I gotten myself into here! :nut: Pay is pretty typical of what has been mentioned in the thread. Hopefully this is a good change, the shift work will be a little rough at first but only working half the year is alright with me.

Cheers!

Was that through Tundra for FGL Sports? I had a sit down with Tundra about a position like that but got on board with Acrodex instead.

Shax
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Yep, that's the one. Pretty low key but we will see how it goes I guess.