PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Allow??

trdjce10
02-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Is washing your car at home allow in Calgary??

sleeper
02-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Only if the soap U use is safe to the enviroment. and it must say so on the bottle

Ferio_vti
02-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Nope, Its illegal.
Biodegradable soap or not, its illegal either way. But everyone does it. Like most bylaws, you can usually get away with it unless a neighbor or someone feels they have to complain to the City.

JordanLotoski
02-10-2004, 08:50 PM
i wash my car 3 times a week in the summer...in my driveway....cop lives accross the street.....i havnt been locked up yet

xkon
02-10-2004, 08:51 PM
if they approach you, duno soap on their lawn and blast them with water

hockeybronx
02-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I thought it was okay but I guess it's not.

I know towards the end of summer they will ban it when the city is getting low on water.

I wash my car in the garage anyways, it's cooler in there so it's comes out cleaner anyways.

My dad hates it, it makes the floor slippery, it's illegal, but it makes my car look :bigpimp: !

dj_rice
02-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah, its just the soap is illegal...which is weird seein how crappy tire still sells the car wash soap and products

U can wash ur car with plain water tho... if that works at all haha..my car is dirty as a mofo

hockeybronx
02-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Yeah, its just the soap is illegal...which is weird seein how crappy tire still sells the car wash soap and products

U can wash ur car with plain water tho... if that works at all haha..my car is dirty as a mofo

Canadian Tire sells many illegal products; soap, tinted liscense plate covers etc.

I hate winter so much, there's nothing better than waking up at 8:00am on a warm summer day in shorts and a t-shirt, and spending the day on your car:

Fill it up with gas, clean the inside, wash the oustide, give it a nice wax job, take a shower and get ready for a nice night of cruisin...:thumbsup:

legereandrew4
02-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx

Canadian Tire sells many illegal products; soap, tinted liscense plate covers etc.

I hate winter so much, there's nothing better than waking up at 8:00am on a warm summer day in shorts and a t-shirt, and spending the day on your car:

Fill it up with gas, clean the inside, wash the oustide, give it a nice wax job, take a shower and get ready for a nice night of cruisin...:thumbsup:

absulutly agree... but by crusie you mean get drunk right?:thumbsup: haha

ZorroAMG
02-11-2004, 12:17 AM

Dude, I was totally there just now, thanks for making me miss it even more with your damn description! ;)

SoSlowDx
02-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Don't think it's allowed. My neighbour washed his car with soap couple summers ago and someone call the police on him after that no more soap.:)

dj_rice
02-11-2004, 01:31 AM
He got off lucky...

My dads friend got a ticket for 300 bucks or more for washing it with soap...

If its illegal to wash it with soap..how come those Car Wash places or the pop a loonie ones dont get in shit for using soap?

hockeybronx
02-11-2004, 02:24 AM
He got off lucky...

If its illegal to wash it with soap..how come those Car Wash places or the pop a loonie ones dont get in shit for using soap?

I'd say either because they have a liscence for it, or they use special soap, or they have special draining systems that either clean the water or lead to different piping.

Maybe it's a big underground system, and only the cops don't know what goes on in those places called "Car Washes":devil:

dj_rice
02-11-2004, 02:28 AM

I'd say either because they have a liscence for it, or they use special soap, or they have special draining systems that either clean the water or lead to different piping.

Maybe it's a big underground system, and only the cops don't know what goes on in those places called "Car Washes":devil:

hahah yeah straight up..I'm guessing its all in the drainage system...but meh...if u have a high enough fence and ur neighbors cant see that ur using soap..then YOU CAN DO IT!!:whocares:

dj_rice
02-11-2004, 02:29 AM
Imma try bringing a bucket, a sponge, and some soap and washing it at one of those Loonie places while inside the stall lol..see what happens

403Gemini
02-11-2004, 02:55 AM

yup they even sell machetes to kids without id'ing... man you can get ANYTHING there :D its great!

Dave P
02-11-2004, 03:16 AM

You almost have the right idea

Replace 8am, with 3pm, and a night of cruisin with, pickin up some ladies and bringing the back to your house, in a clean ride that is

EK 2.0
02-11-2004, 10:35 AM

...Just as you step outside to open the garage door to show off your feshly washed and waxed ride...DAAAAYYYYUUUUMMMMM....its SNOWIN...

t3rry
02-11-2004, 10:44 AM
He got off lucky...

because they reuse the water, and they have to filter the water before it goes into the sewage system :guns:

ZorroAMG
02-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Imma try bringing a bucket, a sponge, and some soap and washing it at one of those Loonie places while inside the stall lol..see what happens

10th and 10th will not allow you to do that. They have signs too and the attendants walk around constantly. If I come at odd hours to wash mine and ASK them they let me, but I discovered a new way of washing perfectly w/out touching the car at all: (may take a buck or so more, but worth it)

Washing:
1)HI PRESSURE RINSE whole car getting any major mud or dirt off.
2) LOW PRESSURE PRE SOAK because the soap sticks and grabs the dirt whereas Hi pressure soap just slides off and leaves a film. Do the whole car, concentrating on rocker panels and bumpers.
3)HI PRESSURE RINSE, then WAX or SPOT FREE (if you don't dry your car)
4) Power rinse Chamois (both sides)

Drying:
1) California Water Blade from top to bottom
2) REAL Chamois to get the details

VOILA, instant BLING!!

Happy washing!

TrevorK
02-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

10th and 10th will not allow you to do that. They have signs too and the attendants walk around constantly. If I come at odd hours to wash mine and ASK them they let me, but I discovered a new way of washing perfectly w/out touching the car at all: (may take a buck or so more, but worth it)

Washing:
1)HI PRESSURE RINSE whole car getting any major mud or dirt off.
2) LOW PRESSURE PRE SOAK because the soap sticks and grabs the dirt whereas Hi pressure soap just slides off and leaves a film. Do the whole car, concentrating on rocker panels and bumpers.
3)HI PRESSURE RINSE, then WAX or SPOT FREE (if you don't dry your car)
4) Power rinse Chamois (both sides)

Drying:
1) California Water Blade from top to bottom
2) REAL Chamois to get the details

VOILA, instant BLING!!

Happy washing!

You got them fancy car washes in Calgary - multiple pressure levels?

Damn, we got one setting here in Edmonton....

QuasarCav
02-12-2004, 10:00 AM
Does anyone find the spray wax does anything?

Is it just some carnuba wax suspended in the water?

I like the ones with the timers, allows you to plan your loonies more effectively. It's good if you are poor

t3rry
02-12-2004, 10:03 AM
i use the spray wax all the time because i dont have the time or desire to stop and dry and wax my car... seems to work great for me..

sputnik
02-12-2004, 10:26 AM

Because the storm sewers (grey water) are different from the "toilet sewers" (black water).

Grey water (off the streets) goes into retention ponds like the "lakes" in many communities. Where as the black water (toilets, sinks, drains, carwashes) go to sewage treatment plants.

davidI
02-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Storm Sewer water also gets into our rivers and pollutes the hell out of them. I used to wash my car on the street but I think I will start using the coin-op washes.

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 10:42 AM
9 degrees today.......ill be taking my pressure washer and soap out and washing the car in the driveway.....(2hr wait at touchless)....kinda funny cause its the middle of febuary....gotta love global warming......

t3rry
02-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
9 degrees today.......ill be taking my pressure washer and soap out and washing the car in the driveway.....(2hr wait at touchless)....kinda funny cause its the middle of febuary....gotta love global warming......

and global warming happens because if poeple like you, you should be proud

sputnik
02-12-2004, 11:03 AM
took my car through the touchless at the co-op on 52nd st se last night... no line... find a touchless at 9-10pm and you should be fine

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by t3rry

and global warming happens because if poeple like you, you should be proud

yeah cause a pressure washer and soap put a hole in that Ozone.......no wait..your right i did......went up there and tore it open...was getting sick of snow.......TOOL

jdmakkord
02-12-2004, 11:11 AM

yeah cause a pressure washer and soap put a hole in that Ozone.......no wait..your right i did......went up there and tore it open...was getting sick of snow.......TOOL :rofl:

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:18 AM

yeah cause a pressure washer and soap put a hole in that Ozone.......no wait..your right i did......went up there and tore it open...was getting sick of snow.......TOOL

its because of irresponsible people like you who just dont give a crap if the earth is still here in 50 years for thier grandkids to enjoy

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:21 AM
what u think your 1983 S10 is better then my 2004 maxima for the "enviroment"? i bet u do more damage with that POS that me washing my car in my driveeay..but thanks though hot shot!!!

jdmakkord
02-12-2004, 11:22 AM
what u think your 1983 S10 is better then my 2004 maxima for the "enviroment"? i bet u do more damage with that POS that me washing my car in my driveeay..but thats though hot shot!!!

Good thing we already built our radiation proof bomb shelters in preparation for the damage we intentionally did.....right Jor? :D

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:23 AM
what u think your 1983 S10 is better then my 2004 maxima for the "enviroment"? i bet u do more damage with that POS that me washing my car in my driveeay..but thanks though hot shot!!!

im sorry it really is my fault that not eveone was born with a silver spoon up thier ass like you

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Good thing we already built our radiation proof bomb shelters in preparation for the damage we intentionally did.....right Jor? :D

:rofl: :rofl:

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:25 AM

im sorry it really is my fault that not eveone was born with a silver spoon up thier ass like you

hahahahahaha....dood...you don't know me at all..I was born with a rusty old spoon man..i made that spoon silver.....maybe when you graduate public school you"ll get a clue:poosie:

ZorroAMG
02-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Sweet!! Flame war, can I join??? Please???????? *grabs his cantine and runs to the chopper*

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:35 AM
theres no flame war, its the owning of some punk kid that thinks he knows everyting...hey t3rry dont you have some whales to save or sumthing??

QuasarCav
02-12-2004, 11:40 AM
When it is -30C outside I bet you would just love global warming.

So grab a spray can and let those CFC's out, At least our kids will have nice tans!!

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
When it is -30C outside I bet you would just love global warming.

So grab a spray can and let those CFC's out, At least our kids will have nice tans!!

and an abundance of skin cancer

get a clue

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:45 AM
yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn...are you a raging hommo sexual..i mean great if u wanna, be just wondering?..cause that would explain alot.......if your unsure...look in your closet...you have a plethera of banana republic shirts?

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:45 AM
yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnn...are you a raging hommo sexual..i mean great if u wanna, be just wondering?..cause that would explain alot.......if your unsure...look in your closet...you have a plethera of banana republic shirts?

ask my wife and kid

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:46 AM
ok....put them on here..i will:D

i still wanna know, how iam killing our enviorment..i mean i recycle....dont litter.....my cars are both new....(less emissions).....so what do you do that we are not doing man?

QuasarCav
02-12-2004, 11:47 AM

and an abundance of skin cancer

get a clue

A joke A joke, you get a clue and I will get skin cancer. :devil:

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
ok....put them on here..i will:D

i still wanna know, how iam killing our enviorment..i mean i recycle....dont litter.....my cars are both new....(less emissions).....so what do you do that we are not doing man?

well obviously you either dont have any kids, or dont care about them....

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:49 AM
sure man i have a son...hes 5..iam not going out of my way to ruin the enviorment...like i said you do more harm to the enviroment with your truck than i do with both my cars and washing my cars.....so who really cars about the future of there children?

ohh wait noticed you changed your profile..u now drive a 2001 grand am..........statement above still stands!!

t3rry
02-12-2004, 11:50 AM
if i could afford it do you honestly think i wouldn't buy a newer vehicle?

JordanLotoski
02-12-2004, 11:51 AM
well if i had the time to wait 3 hours at a car wash i would, but i dont have the time!!!!

Ben
02-12-2004, 12:09 PM
t3rry...way too sensitive to environmental issues, and to preach them on a Car forum...especially one based out of Alberta, I'm sorry to say...aint gonna go over well. Washing ones car in Feburary sure as hell isn't gonna rip a hole in the earth like you say it will, so you need to "get a clue"

Hey, its great to say you care so much, but why do you say that noone else does? Cause they like a clean car in the winter so their tens of thousands of dollars of investment doesn't go to the crapper when it rusts out? Its not like their going down to the local corner coal plant and having them burn a million tons of coal to power the pressure washer that sprays the cars. So unless you wear nothing but knitted and plant based cloththing, live in a sod hut up n the mountains and have never worn anything made by modern machinery, we're ALL guilty of ozone depletion. now lets OT bring this topic up, its useless to discuss.

QuasarCav
02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
well if i had the time to wait 3 hours at a car wash i would, but i dont have the time!!!!

That about sums it up, It is 10 times easier than waiting with the yuppies

t3rry
02-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Ben
t3rry...way too sensitive to environmental issues, and to preach them on a Car forum...especially one based out of Alberta, I'm sorry to say...aint gonna go over well. Washing ones car in Feburary sure as hell isn't gonna rip a hole in the earth like you say it will, so you need to "get a clue"

Hey, its great to say you care so much, but why do you say that noone else does? Cause they like a clean car in the winter so their tens of thousands of dollars of investment doesn't go to the crapper when it rusts out? Its not like their going down to the local corner coal plant and having them burn a million tons of coal to power the pressure washer that sprays the cars. So unless you wear nothing but knitted and plant based cloththing, live in a sod hut up n the mountains and have never worn anything made by modern machinery, we're ALL guilty of ozone depletion. now lets OT bring this topic up, its useless to discuss.

i am not any sort of enviromentalist, i just dont like to see blatent disrespect for the enviroment if it is easily preventable

ZorroAMG
02-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Beyond.ca------>burning holes in the ozone since 2002

SpoonEK9@STRD
02-12-2004, 01:32 PM
who let the hippie in here... i thought this was a car forum? exhuast is awesome! global warming is sick! DOWN WITH THE OZONE!!!

fast95pony
02-12-2004, 03:23 PM
..and yet another thread falls into that pit of name calling and personal insults. Well done , gentlemen.:thumbsup:

davidI
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM

i am not any sort of enviromentalist, i just dont like to see blatent disrespect for the enviroment if it is easily preventable

I agree with you man. When it costs a couple of bucks to go to a car wash and use their pressure washers instead of sending your soap into the rivers I think it's worth it. Next time you go to the mountains or enjoy any sort of nature activity realize how easy it is to not destroy it. I'm not an environmentalist or anything - I'm just not a lazy ass so I'll spend the $2 to wash my car in a place where it won't pollute the rivers.

method
02-12-2004, 04:36 PM
you're a hypocrite. driving a car is 'blatent disrespect for the environment'

the whole human race has blatent disrespect for the environment, get over it.

I wash my car in the driveway every one in a while, so I can wax the thing properly. there's no shade or anything at the damn car wash.

if I really feel bad, I'll wash it in my back alley so the soap sinks down into all the gravel instead of the storm drain.

t3rry
02-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by method
you're a hypocrite. driving a car is 'blatent disrespect for the environment'

the whole human race has blatent disrespect for the environment, get over it.

I wash my car in the driveway every one in a while, so I can wax the thing properly. there's no shade or anything at the damn car wash.

if I really feel bad, I'll wash it in my back alley so the soap sinks down into all the gravel instead of the storm drain.

did you happen to see the part of my post that says "easily preventable"? obviously not, as i said to another member here, if i could afford a newer vehicle do you not think i would buy one?

t3rry
02-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by davidI

I agree with you man. When it costs a couple of bucks to go to a car wash and use their pressure washers instead of sending your soap into the rivers I think it's worth it. Next time you go to the mountains or enjoy any sort of nature activity realize how easy it is to not destroy it. I'm not an environmentalist or anything - I'm just not a lazy ass so I'll spend the $2 to wash my car in a place where it won't pollute the rivers.

i agree, i know atleast half of you complimet ben and mel on thier pictures, most of which are pictures of the enviroment in some way, the mountians, streams, animals.... dont you wnat your kids to be able to enjoy that too?

88CRX
02-12-2004, 05:03 PM

i agree, i know atleast half of you complimet ben and mel on thier pictures, most of which are pictures of the enviroment in some way, the mountians, streams, animals.... dont you wnat your kids to be able to enjoy that too?

<runs out and starts up cat coverter-less car and revs the shit out of it >

Khyron
02-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I had a drain put in my garage floor so I can wash with the soap guilt free!

My brother in law works for the city sewer department - you know what's the worst thing they find in the storm drains? Milk. Safeway and shit dumping hundreds of gallons - it's a bigger pain than some paints. So they put a sensor in the storm drain and then nab you when it detects soap/milk/whatever.

Khyron

method
02-12-2004, 06:25 PM

did you happen to see the part of my post that says &quot;easily preventable&quot;? obviously not, as i said to another member here, if i could afford a newer vehicle do you not think i would buy one?

did you happen to see the part of my post that says
a car

any car is contributing to envrionmental harm. ANY.
pretty 'easily preventable' dont you think? just dont drive a car.

:rolleyes:

I want a drain in my garage! sweet.

davidI
02-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I like how some of you guys say - well you drive a car so I should dump soap down the drains. Seriously, I don't think T3rry was trying to say that everyone should run out and join greenpeace. The fact that some of you are calling him a hypocrite or trying to compare your pouring of soap in the rivers to his driving an old car is retarded. How is that going to prevent pollution problems? I guess since Chernobyl happened our government might as well start burning the dirtiest coal we can find since they've polluted more than us :dunno:

I'm guilty of a lot of shit that harms the environment, everyone is - but I still try to put in a little effort to make sure I recycle as much as I can and that I do the little things like not wash my car in the driveway. I'm not driving an electric powered car or anything like that but I fail to see how I or anyone else is being a hypocrite.

Oh, and Method. Washing your car over gravel is still contaminating the ground water and will eventually seep into rivers and lakes so don't go off thinking you should be the leader of the green party or anything.

fox
02-12-2004, 07:16 PM
i washed my car chassis with thick grease today and used a couple big bottles of engine degreaser, oh no! someone call the cops!:rofl:

:whocares:

Ben
02-12-2004, 07:30 PM
t3rry, I figured you were giving people a hard time about washing their car at the car wash, cause that is what it sounds like. if that is not the case, sorry to get on your case. I havent ever washed my car on my driveway, never had a nice enough car to. 2 bucks at the wand wash = yay for me.

hockeybronx
02-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Because the storm sewers (grey water) are different from the &quot;toilet sewers&quot; (black water).

Grey water (off the streets) goes into retention ponds like the &quot;lakes&quot; in many communities. Where as the black water (toilets, sinks, drains, carwashes) go to sewage treatment plants.

:werd:
Man this guy knows his shiatskies:thumbsup:

t3rry
02-13-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Ben
t3rry, I figured you were giving people a hard time about washing their car at the car wash, cause that is what it sounds like. if that is not the case, sorry to get on your case. I havent ever washed my car on my driveway, never had a nice enough car to. 2 bucks at the wand wash = yay for me.

no, i have no problem at all with carwashes, most of them actually filter the water before it goes back out, which is great, its just the lazy people who do it on thier driveway. its just as easy to wash it at a car wash and drive it home and use a chamois and straight water to wipe it down a bit and then wax it, no problems with that, its just poeple who are too ignorent to make a slight inconvenience for themselves to benifit the whole planet.

davidI
02-13-2004, 11:05 AM
:werd: to everything T3rry has said.