PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Opinons needed RX400 or MDX

maxout
10-03-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi All,

I am stuck in between the two and would like your opinions and thoughts. My Family are in search of a SUV and we have narrowed down to the Acura MDX (2007 – 2009 Tech/Elite) and the Lexus RX (2006 – 2009 Ultra Premium). Both of the choices have all the options we would like such as heated/memory seats, Navi, back up camera , power tail gate, Rear DVD player, All wheel Drive, ETC

Now here is the dilemma. We have found a mint 2006 RX 400H with 50k km around our price point however it is a bit older in year. We can also get into a MDX (2007 – 2008) but the mileage will be double around 120k km average.

My Question is would you rather purchase an older vehicle with Less KM or newer with more KM. Also if you have ever owned either of these your suggestions, thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated. I know the MDX have third row seating however not a deal breaker for us.

Thanks

Redlyne_mr2
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM
RX400h, better fit and finish, more economic, ages better, holds its value much better than the mdx.

jaylo
10-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, I have a friend that owns a 2008 MDX Elite and with its 3.5 V6, it eats a lot of gas for a mid-size SUV.

The finish is great on the MDX too and more aggressive than the RX 400h

If gas is an issue, I would go for the RX.

have you looked at the new RX? For that amount of money you are spending on a used car you could get a new RX for a killer % on financing.

If I remember, I think it's 0% financing if you put down $38K

clem24
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Have you actually checked out the cars in question? That would help you sway your decision. Me personally, I would pick the car that's 1 year older with less KMs. But again, in both cases, I'd have to look at the car. But still... We're talking 1 year difference. My guess is the 400h will hold it's value better than the MDX, which are a dime a dozen.

shadowz
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
I've had a 400H Ultra for 4 years now, zero issues but here is the kicker Lexus service rocks. Full detail, loaner car, shuttle, valet pick up service, I could go on. Acura they spray your car down. Many of my family members own acuras and loathe the service. Not to mention overall the Lexus will hold its value over Acura any day. I've also noticed little things comparing to my Aunts MDX there are way too many buttons for things, the backup camera is not as sharp in clarity as the lexus unit (comparing my 07 to her 2010MY) the ride quality is junk compared. Id say going with the Lexus is a better OVERALL package even though I would agree the aggressive look of the MDX is nice. Many of my friends/coworkers would have never thought twice of the RX until they had rode in mine or driven it. Now they all want one too lol

maxout
10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
Yes, I have a friend that owns a 2008 MDX Elite and with its 3.5 V6, it eats a lot of gas for a mid-size SUV.

The finish is great on the MDX too and more aggressive than the RX 400h

If gas is an issue, I would go for the RX.

have you looked at the new RX? For that amount of money you are spending on a used car you could get a new RX for a killer % on financing.

If I remember, I think it's 0% financing if you put down $38K

yes I really like the the aggressive stance on the MDX but would not want to be a slave to the gas stations

New RX would be nice but do not want monthly payments. We have a newborn and have to start dayhome soon. We just want to paid off car.

maxout
10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Have you actually checked out the cars in question? That would help you sway your decision. Me personally, I would pick the car that's 1 year older with less KMs. But again, in both cases, I'd have to look at the car. But still... We're talking 1 year difference. My guess is the 400h will hold it's value better than the MDX, which are a dime a dozen.

Thanks Clem, we have driven both vehicles and like them both. Seems the MDX gets beaten up lots and true dime a dozen.

Leaning towards the RX400H. Like mentioned its a 2006 with 52000 km on it. Virtualy new. Previous owner where grand parents and the head sets are not even opened yet.

maxout
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
I've had a 400H Ultra for 4 years now, zero issues but here is the kicker Lexus service rocks. Full detail, loaner car, shuttle, valet pick up service, I could go on. Acura they spray your car down. Many of my family members own acuras and loathe the service. Not to mention overall the Lexus will hold its value over Acura any day. I've also noticed little things comparing to my Aunts MDX there are way too many buttons for things, the backup camera is not as sharp in clarity as the lexus unit (comparing my 07 to her 2010MY) the ride quality is junk compared. Id say going with the Lexus is a better OVERALL package even though I would agree the aggressive look of the MDX is nice. Many of my friends/coworkers would have never thought twice of the RX until they had rode in mine or driven it. Now they all want one too lol

Thanks Shadowz, have you had any problems with the said battery on the Hybrid system? I heard maintaining the system mayby more expensive.

Yes the MDX has more gadgets inside and can be more complicated but the Lexus still has a tape deck with no AUX. I just hope the CD player at least plays MP3.

Thanks again for your thoughts

shadowz
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by maxout

Thanks Shadowz, have you had any problems with the said battery on the Hybrid system? I heard maintaining the system mayby more expensive.

Yes the MDX has more gadgets inside and can be more complicated but the Lexus still has a tape deck with no AUX. I just hope the CD player at least plays MP3.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Zero problems, I've only had to maintain the car. Adding a ipod connector no biggie, as well I would try to aim for 07+ as they have the Generation 5 Navigation and interface and better backup camera. Plus there are a few other little things that the 07+ have that are nicer than the 06MY

maxout
10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by shadowz

Zero problems, I've only had to maintain the car. Adding a ipod connector no biggie, as well I would try to aim for 07+ as they have the Generation 5 Navigation and interface and better backup camera. Plus there are a few other little things that the 07+ have that are nicer than the 06MY

I am so glad to hear that your able to add a Ipod connector. If not that would suck.

The one we saw and in the mist of purchasing is a 2006. Hopefully the changes are not that significant in a way I will regret it later on.