PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic TCP50ST50 Plasma Buzzing

FullFledgedYYC
10-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Hey all,

So one the recommendation of people on this forum, and other web resources, I picked up the ST50 plasma from Futureshop a few weeks ago.

I noticed a fairly audible buzzing coming from the TV, especially when the screen is displaying white or bright colors (I watch/play a lot of hockey on it... you can imagine the buzz!)

I contacted Panasonic and they sent a tech out to look at it... he said this buzz was normal, and a good thing.

I contacted Panasonic again today and they are now arranging for an exchange at Futureshop.

So... I was just interested in everyones thoughts on this. Do you have a plasma? Does it buzz?

My main concern is I will get another screen via exchange and it will buzz as well, and then they will say that it is just "normal".

ByTeMe
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
I've had a few plasmas in the past and both have had a buzzing sound as you have described.

Older people can't hear it, so they will think your on crack.

......if you get an old technician.

If you can hear it while you have the sound on though, there probably is a issue.

Mitsu3000gt
10-03-2012, 11:11 AM
All plasmas will buzz a bit, and the newer ones aren't nearly as loud as the old ones. If there is any ambient noise at all, or if the TV volume is much above zero, you shouldn't be able to hear it unless you're standing beside it.

msommers
10-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I have an ST50 and I can't hear anything. If say take it back went exchange it. I've read don't people experience the buzz and while some is normal, it should only be when your a foot or Les away.

FullFledgedYYC
10-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I agree with what you are saying Msommers.

I actually went to my gf's dad's house on the weekend and coincidentally he purchased the EXACT SAME tv as me. I could hear a buzzing from his, but only when I walked right up to the tv. Mine, I can hear it from my couch which is about 8-10 feet away.

Prime example was last night... I was playing NHL on my xbox and had the volume up to about 7 or 8... loud enough that I can hear it, but not loud enough to keep the lady awake. All I could hear the whole time was BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. That's what triggered me to write the email to Panasonic.

HHURICANE1
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
My Samsung buzzes as well. Most of the time I don't really notice it but when it is quiet it can be very noticeable.

CanmoreOrLess
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I have had Panny plasmas for the last decade, the latest TV is from 2009 and zero buzz or any issues of any sort. Never had a problem.

Did you buy a floor unit or was it brand spanking new? I would never, ever in a million years buy a floor unit TV or electronics of any sort that had been turned on.

FullFledgedYYC
10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Brand new in box. Hopefully the exchange tv doesn't buzz or I may lose my mind.

Recca168
10-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I have a samsung plasma and it buzzes. I can hear it from my couch if the TV is on but nothing it playing. One I actually watch something I can't really hear it at all. Doesn't really bother me at all.

danno
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I had the same problem with my Samsung. Now it has lines through it so I bought a LCD led sharp.

TE4MFaint
10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
All plasma's buzz.

wtf im nameless
10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Pretty sure your TV just needs a new power supply, it's probably an easy fix but I assumed they'd just send a new power supply and have a tech replace it. Or you can just try to have the TV replaced and hope you get a less noisy power supply... but I wouldn't be concerned with getting it changed, the TV will still be good as new.

Just google "Panasonic Plasma noisy power supply" and read up on it.

FullFledgedYYC
10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Well last night I was watching some "The Office" and it really started to piss me off. I mean, you can't hear it to much when people are talking and stuff, but whenever there is a silent moment... like someone looking at the camera with a facial expression, all I hear is BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

How the hell the tech from Southland TV thought that was normal I will never understand.

I hope the next one isn't like this... but I thought I got the last ST50 they had in stock... so this will be interesting.

wtf im nameless
10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Well last night I was watching some "The Office" and it really started to piss me off. I mean, you can't hear it to much when people are talking and stuff, but whenever there is a silent moment... like someone looking at the camera with a facial expression, all I hear is BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

How the hell the tech from Southland TV thought that was normal I will never understand.

Maybe this guy trained him?

Originally posted by TE4MFaint
All plasma's buzz.

Just call Panasonic directly or call another local authorized Panasonic service center until they resolve it for you. If it's still under warranty you should be able to get it repaired at no charge to you.

wtf im nameless
10-04-2012, 08:29 AM
From another TV thread back in August, you most likely just got a TV with one of those power supplies:

Originally posted by wtf im nameless
The only negative thing I've ever heard about the latest generation of Panny plasmas is there was a batch that had loud power supplies, you could hear the power supply noise changing pitch with different levels of brightness. From my understanding they have corrected this in the factory and offered warranty repairs (changing the power supply) on anyone who was effected by the issue.

FullFledgedYYC
10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Interesting.

Thanks for the info good sir. I am not sure why they wouldn't just swap out the PSU if they know of this issue... oh well. Hopefully the next one is better. If not... RAGE!

fretsey
10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I just bought an ST50 and am very happy with it,PQ wise and all that. What I dislike about it is that it has a loud buzz that can be heard from up to 8 feet away.The buzz gets worse with bright or white scenes on the TV. When I first plugged this unit in it tripped my surge protector twice.The only thing plugged into the surge protector was the TV and cable box. I've never had an issue with the power bar before.

The buzzing is going to be a deal breaker for me,I plan on returning it today(bought it on Friday). In no way will I accept that the buzzing is "normal" and I shudder to think what the experience would be watching a Hockey Game.

All in all,really disappointed I have to go through the whole process of re-boxing and returning this unit.

msommers
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM
An option would be to bring your power bar and TV back to the store, have them exchange it and set it up for you in store to ensure the buzzing isn't occurring. Have them package it back up and head home. It's a fantastic TV but I can completely understand the frustration.

FullFledgedYYC
10-12-2012, 09:58 PM
So.... took it back to Futureshop and listened to my replacement in the store before taking it home.... it buzzed as well.

So now I can exchange for a different tv (I am not sure anything can touch the picture quality of the ST50) or I can get them to ship another one to my house from their warehouse (5-8 business days).

I have no idea what to do anymore.... I am certain the new one will buzz as well. Sucks since its such a nice display.

FullFledgedYYC
10-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Ended up exchanging for a Samsung PN51E8000, it buzzes as well but its a more constant buzz, not dependant on screen image. Slightly annoying... but I can manage it.

I think I just have super sensitive hearing... because nobody else really notices it like I do.

SOAB
10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
my BIL has a plasma at his place and he says that his TV does this buzzing as well. all he did to fix it was tilt the TV up a little bit and he no longer hears it.

Xtrema
10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
My Samsung buzz as well. But only if you are less than 5ft from it and only noticeable when nothing is playing on the speakers.

I guess that one good thing about getting old. :rofl: