PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Horizon Meats?

clem24
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Anyone know if they just moved or closed up for good? I still have a groupon for this place that I haven't used LOL. They had some of the best fucking steaks I've ever bought in Calgary. The marbling was unlike anything else I've seen elsewhere.

Guess I might have to go back to Costco and take my chances with E-Coli.

D'z Nutz
10-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Fuck! I have one of those groupon coupons too.

kaput
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM

speedog
10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Looks like they've been closed for a while - see update on this producer's web page (http://springridgeranchyakcrossbeef.blogspot.ca/2012/04/horizon-meats.html).

z24_wheels
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Pretty sure they went tits up because of the groupon. At least that was the impression I got talking with Stu when they were open.

I was never really impressed with their product. Master Meats is wonderful by comparison.

D'z Nutz
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Damn it. Can I get a refund on the coupon even though it's been like 2 years? Haha

Kloubek
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I wonder how many of those groupons don't even get used. Although it often seems like a heavy discount, I'm willing to bet they still make money. (Especially when they sell them all, then go out of business...)

ExtraSlow
10-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I've often wonderd about the economics of those groupons for the vendor.

I used both of mine that I puchased for Horizon, and I was pleased with the products, but not blown away.

Hmm, Master meats is good? That's very close to me, I'll check them out.

BigDL
10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I used both of mine that I puchased for Horizon, and I was pleased with the products, but not blown away.

Hmm, Master meats is good? That's very close to me, I'll check them out.

I like master meats and the guys that work in there are pretty nice, just be careful of the parking lot, there was some good hole in it the last time i went there.

chinofx
10-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I had a couple dealfind deals for this place. I emailed dealfind a couple months ago and let them know Horizon Meats shut down and they refunded my money.

JRSC00LUDE
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

A few of my friends have participated in them once and will NEVER do it again. A massage therapist, a retail footwear store and a restaurant - each one of them lost a pile of money on it. Groupon sells the sizzle to the business owner but there's no benefit to be gained, just loss. At least according to those three people who all run otherwise successful businesses.

clem24
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Yeah I'd say it's pretty bad economics but I have a feeling this was a business that was already struggling PLUS the fact that even with the coupon, they were still making $$$. I also have a feeling this works for many businesses as I've seen them featured multiple times. But then again, now all dealfind/groupon really offers are crap products at regular or inflated prices. They've really slimmed down on their restaurant offerings.

When I went in, it was pretty dead in there, and the stuff they had in the freezer wasn't all too appetizing to begin with. But as I said, the steaks I got were incredibly good. I'll have to check out Master Meats.

In the mean time, yes you can get a refund. Just need to request one. They're usually very good/very quick with the refunds. Last time I requested one, I think it was back on my card in like 2 days, no questions asked. Just a quick email, quick reply, and on my card.

flipstah
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
9/10, good businesses don't need coupons and let the product do the talking themselves.

I've noticed that most of the GroupOn deals are really shitty restaurants or places I wouldn't trust my life on for their services.

The only 1/10 exception I've seen was Allen Berg. :burnout:

R-Audi
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Most business lose money on Group-Ons/Dealfinds.. but they sell you on that it should be considered a marketing expense. There have been more then a few places that have been screwed over because of these sales...

JRSC00LUDE
10-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Exactly. Typically you're marketing to the wrong demographic, you just get the one time customer that wants a deal, is a pain in the ass and won't be back till the next coupo.