PDA

View Full Version : Good entry level trap shotgun?

chibwack
10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
So the brother just picked up a trap machine so I'm looking for a decent shotgun. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just reliable and comfortable, I'm thinking in the ~500 range. Any suggestions?

KRyn
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Eh for that price you can't get a trap gun. Get a do everything shot gun!

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/pump-action-shotguns/bps-field-stalker/prod81389.html

People will say the 870, but I don't really like them. Or you could get a Super Nova.

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/firearms/pump-action-shotguns/supernova-pump/prod226315.html

chibwack
10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Hm... so how much should I plan for a trap gun? Is the only real difference between that and a "do all" the choke?

KRyn
10-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
Hm... so how much should I plan for a trap gun? Is the only real difference between that and a "do all" the choke?

Not even close. Most of the pros use over/unders for shooting trap, skeet, five stand and sporting clays. The cheapest I would go on a quality O/U that will last a lifetime is $2100.00 or so. At this price point you are getting a very nice shotgun. High quality wood, metals and amazing build quality (you can easily spend $5000.00 up to $25000.00). Go shoulder some of the high end O/Us at any store and you will immediately feel the difference in materials and the way the gun is balanced and moves. Next season I will be buying Beretta 686, amazing guns. Also with an O/U you can have two chokes instead of one, chokes are interchangeable on shotguns now anyways.

You could get into a decent semi if that's your thing. Right now I am shooting a Browning Maxus ($1100.00 on sale) and have nothing but good things to say about it. All depends what you like and plan to do with your shotgun. Eventually I will have a nice pump & semi (for ducks and geese) and a O/U for upland birds and busting clays.

statick
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of pumps, but if I had to have one, it would probably be a Benelli Nova.

I'd go with a basic side-by-side break action; I have a 12 bore made by Stoeger which was $450 new.