PDA

View Full Version : calgarys new traffic management system...

AndyL
10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/traffic_lights.gif

That is all.

syritis
10-03-2012, 08:07 PM
i don't think thats the city, i think thats just what some drivers think they saw.
seen something like that in edmonton though.

slinkie
10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Driving at night time I always hit empty intersections that turn red as I approach. SOO FRUSTRATING! Especially ones like McKnight and Barlow where I have to stop from 90kph for literally no reason

arian_ma
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
IMO, driving in Calgary at any time of day sucks now. Lights are never aligned, traffic absolutely everywhere, terrible drivers...can't wait to see what happens during the first snow storm.

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Lights are never aligned,

If they were aligned, there would be less red-light camera tickets issued. Can't have that.

J-D
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If they were aligned, there would be less red-light camera tickets issued. Can't have that.

Aligned as in time... or aligned as in 5th ave downtown? I never understood why those lanes are skewed. lol.

cloud7
10-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
Driving at night time I always hit empty intersections that turn red as I approach. SOO FRUSTRATING! Especially ones like McKnight and Barlow where I have to stop from 90kph for literally no reason

While traffic signals are great during busy times, they don't work well when there is no traffic around and you get delayed more than necessary. That's why some signals goes to flashing mode at night... but obviously not possible in an intersection like McKnight and Barlow... you just hit the signal at the wrong time. Maybe if you were going a bit faster or slower, you would have made it through.;)

Maxt
10-04-2012, 11:28 PM
On top of the lights, whats up with the new 3 lanes of 52nd st se being 60 km/hr per hour.. stunned.

Tomaz
10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
On top of the lights, whats up with the new 3 lanes of 52nd st se being 60 km/hr per hour.. stunned.

Really? 60??

oops :poosie:

My other Favorite: Why does the speed limit drop to 70 on Glenmore between 52nd and Barlow? It goes slower where there are no intersections, merges, and is a nice open straight stretch. Then speeds up again just in time for the railroad tracks.

cloud7
10-05-2012, 12:03 PM

And also on a lot of other roads... mostly those that are signed at 50 km/h. This is a rant that I have with my colleagues all the time. The City requires intersections that have to be spaced so far from each other, restrict the number of accesses from these roads, requires lane widths that are so wide... and then they go ahead and sign it to 50 km/h speed limit. :facepalm: What is the point? Driver's expectation on these type of roads are at least 60 km/h. Then they complaint when people go above the speed limit.

syritis
10-05-2012, 04:20 PM
kings view blvd in airdrie, 60km/h through the residential area, 50km/h through the commercial. :facepalm:

ga16i
10-05-2012, 04:50 PM

Back when 52nd St was just one lane each way between 130th and 114th it was an 80 km/h zone. Now that it's two lanes each way with a divider in the middle it's become 60 km/h. :banghead: Completely backwards in my mind. Things were also a lot better before they put those stupid lights in for the Lowe's parking lot. Now at 5PM you get ~8-10 cars in between that and the lights at 130th. Still not quite as bad as those retarded lights at 5th Ave over Glenmore behind Chinook though.

sexualbanana
10-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Drives me nuts. There's a stretch along 18th St SE, where there are 2 traffic lights within about 150m of each other.

If one turns red, the other is still green. But you're guaranteed that the light that is green will turn red just as you get to the intersection.

black13
10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I think its because of Calgary's traffic director...
http://www.phlmetropolis.com/Monkey-Computer.jpg

He likes it when you hit every red light.

It would be awesome if every light had intelligent sensors that could see which side has cars coming and switch lights quickly before you approach. It would save alot of gas, time, frustration.

Or at least if you could provide input on a set of lights to the city and they would do something.

Tik-Tok
10-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by black13

It would be awesome if every light had intelligent sensors that could see which side has cars coming and switch lights quickly before you approach. It would save alot of gas, time, frustration.

Or at least if you could provide input on a set of lights to the city and they would do something.

There's one at this location here (https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=207574561297995423542.0004cc74acf9b0e910aca&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=1&iwloc=0004cc74acfb643de05b2) that pisses me off to no fucking end.

Every car coming out of Tims, that turns right onto Mcall way sets the sensor off, which turns the light red for everyone not coming from Tims, within like 5 fucking seconds. So many times I'm waiting there for no reason.

Kramerica
10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Whoever designed 130th ave SE deserves to be shot, you could have a challenge to see who can make it onto deer foot from the co-op the fastest and none of the times would be under five minutes. there's a reason you never see anybody going there anymore.

Skidro
10-20-2012, 04:40 PM
On the bridge to chinook from glenmore if u hit the apex u can make both lights :bigpimp:

btimbit
10-20-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Whoever designed 130th ave SE deserves to be shot, you could have a challenge to see who can make it onto deer foot from the co-op the fastest and none of the times would be under five minutes. there's a reason you never see anybody going there anymore.

That particular parking lot is ridiculous. The stretch from the Mr. Lube to the Co-op is fender bender alley. I do not go to any store in there anymore because of the set up and traffic in there.