PDA

View Full Version : Vote No UP-ASS

Pages : [1] 2

davidI
02-10-2004, 10:18 PM
The U Pass is bullshit for people like me who can't take transit. After my 4 year degree I'll be out nearly $500. I know a lot of drivers feel the same way but you guys have to vote if you want to get rid of the U Pass.

RSeXy
02-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'll be sure to get off my lazy bum and vote against it this year. PFFT! 50 bucks should go towards our parking costs!

Weapon_R
02-10-2004, 10:21 PM
I am not in favor of the U-Pass, but it helps a lot of people that otherwise wouldn't have access to the Campus, or would be faced with high fees. I like having the U-Pass - no long parking waits anymore :D

AquamosH
02-10-2004, 10:25 PM
The U-Pass is really good for people who don't drive though. Without it they're going to have to pay about $50 a month (or however much it costs these days) to get to school. Besides, you never know when it might come in handy for you even if you do drive to school.

D'z Nutz
02-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I use the U-pass on a daily basis. Is there a particular reason why they can't have it so that if you're going to use it you can get it, and if you don't need it, you can apply to have the fee reimbursed like the dental coverage? It totally benefits those who rely on city transit, but I think it's retarded that students who don't use it still have to pay for it. And they can't transfer it to others who need it but aren't eligable for it (ie: unclassified students).

D'z Nutz
02-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH
Without it they're going to have to pay about $50 a month (or however much it costs these days) to get to school.

I think it's like $60.

Ajay
02-10-2004, 10:29 PM
That's exactly what they should be doing....making it optional.

I never take the bus or train to school and I never take it any other time either. I'm sure it is an advantage for people who aren't fortuate to have their own vehicles but I'll still be voting 'No' on the U-Pass. I don't need to give grubby Harvey any more money then he already gets.

Weapon_R
02-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I use the U-pass on a daily basis. Is there a particular reason why they can't have it so that if you're going to use it you can get it, and if you don't need it, you can apply to have the fee reimbursed like the dental coverage? It totally benefits those who rely on city transit, but I think it's retarded that students who don't use it still have to pay for it. And they can't transfer it to others who need it but aren't eligable for it (ie: unclassified students).

Student's can't opt out of it because it would no longer be worthwhile for CT. They know how many U of C students actually use the U-Pass and they have found that the ability to opt out will no longer be profitable. Don't forget - 3000 U-Pass' weren't picked up this year. 3000x50=a lot of money that CT would lose out on, maybe even more.

davidI
02-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Student's can't opt out of it because it would no longer be worthwhile for CT. They know how many U of C students actually use the U-Pass and they have found that the ability to opt out will no longer be profitable. Don't forget - 3000 U-Pass' weren't picked up this year. 3000x50=a lot of money that CT would lose out on, maybe even more.

Exactly, Transit makes back the money that students would normally pay from the kids who don't use Transit. ie. instead of 1 kid paying the $300/semester or whatever it is spread out over 5 students. The problem is that not enough drivers vote so it was voted in. THAT IS WHY YOU GUYS SHOULD GO VOTE NO!!! It's just a sick form of equalization payment. If there was some sort of optional system like you suggest of course I'd vote yes but the problem is Transit won't listen to the school while they're making the money that they are. That's why if it is voted down there might atleast be some negotiations to reform the system.

davidI
02-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by AquamosH
The U-Pass is really good for people who don't drive though. Without it they're going to have to pay about $50 a month (or however much it costs these days) to get to school. Besides, you never know when it might come in handy for you even if you do drive to school.

Problem is I've spent over $220 on it so far and taken the LRT once. Over my 4 year degree with the proposed rates it will cost me nearly $500!! That's a lot for a poor university student in my opinion.

Altezza
02-10-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm sure the University will just find another way to grab your money. The Univ will likely lose out as well, not just CT. When that happens, voila, your Univ parking rates just went up to compensate.

Chim
02-10-2004, 11:21 PM
You guys who are against u-pass are overlooking something important.

If some people did not have a transit pass readily available, they would drive to school. This would not only hog up more parking, but they would also congest your entrance/exits. People who have no choice but to drive to school would be screwed over by that. Removing the UP-ASS would make driving to school much less luxurious and more difficult for those who already drive.

If spending such a small amount of money (in comparison to the rest of the aspects of going to the university) bothers you, maybe you should consider taking advantage of your U-PASS!

davidI
02-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Chim

If some people did not have a transit pass readily available, they would drive to school. This would not only hog up more parking, but they would also congest your entrance/exits. People who have no choice but to drive to school would be screwed over by that. Removing the UP-ASS would make driving to school much less luxurious and more difficult for those who already drive.

If spending such a small amount of money (in comparison to the rest of the aspects of going to the university) bothers you, maybe you should consider taking advantage of your U-PASS!

Transit doesn't reach everyone in this city. Transit has been reducing routes since the pass went into effect and the University raised the parking fees anyways. I would much rather have my $112/year go towards parking infrastructure than a transit pass I do not use. Think of it this way, 20 000 university students x $122/year = $2.24 Million. Altezza, I fail to see how any money goes to the University because of the U-Pass. Unless I'm mistaken all of the money goes directly to CT other than perhaps a small amount to support the cost of distributing the stickers. Another thing that gets me pissed off is that a lot of my buddies park in the Brentwood park and ride and walk to the school instead of taking the c-train to the university. Apparently there are people out there watching and giving warnings to students who do this. If that isn't bullshit I don't know what is. Send CT a message by voting NO.

Ajay
02-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Another thing that gets me pissed off is that a lot of my buddies park in the Brentwood park and ride and walk to the school instead of taking the c-train to the university. Apparently there are people out there watching and giving warnings to students who do this. If that isn't bullshit I don't know what is. Send CT a message by voting NO.

I don't agree with the UPass but I agree with CT ticketing people who are simply parking at Brentwood and walking to school. Why should these people park for free if they aren't taking advantage of CT? The park and ride stations are set up for that exact reason...PARK and RIDE not just PARK and go to school. By people doing this it's not fair to the people that actually need the Park and Ride service. Tell your buddies to park and take the train to the U...either that or pay for parking at the U.

UPass was implemented because they found it worked great for Sait. Sait also has alot less parking around their campus and there isn't many places you can park your car along 16th Ave either. UofC definetly has alot more parking areas but alot more students as well. I can see how the UofC thought the UPass would be beneficial to students along with promoting the idea of using CT but students should still have a choice to opt out of it.

If you want out great....get out of it and save yourself the money that goes towards the UPass every semester. If you're gonna use it then pay for it. It is cheaper than buying a transit pass every month for people that actually USE it but a nuisance for people who don't.

thich
02-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm still voting to keep the UPASS b/c i need it and i use it daily...
i don't see an advantage is getting rid of it and ending up paying more for a stupid monthly pass then i have to.

i know it's bad for u guys who don't use it or can't use it, but for those of us who do, it's the next best thing to having a car.

szw
02-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Chim

Yes that is good university 'reasoning', but is it that much more "luxurious" now?

To make it even worse, once the Upass came out the parking rates went up at the same time!

szw
02-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Ajay

I don't agree with the UPass but I agree with CT ticketing people who are simply parking at Brentwood and walking to school. Why should these people park for free if they aren't taking advantage of CT? The park and ride stations are set up for that exact reason...PARK and RIDE not just PARK and go to school. By people doing this it's not fair to the people that actually need the Park and Ride service. Tell your buddies to park and take the train to the U...either that or pay for parking at the U.

From u of C website

each assessed student would be entitled to a special transit pass that entitled them to full access to available transit services during that period of time.

Does available transit services mean park and ride? haha

sexualbanana
02-11-2004, 12:27 AM
I drive to school everyday and I've still managed to use the UPass a good 100 times. Sure beats having to pay for parking downtown.

RiCE-DaDDy
02-11-2004, 02:16 AM
U pass stays, i use it and I'm pretty sure the MAJORITY of students use it as well

RiCE-DaDDy
02-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by szw

Yes that is good university 'reasoning', but is it that much more "luxurious" now?

To make it even worse, once the Upass came out the parking rates went up at the same time!

plain old inflation....haha

gwkwan
02-11-2004, 02:18 AM
i luv the u pass, it saved me so much money:clap:

403Gemini
02-11-2004, 02:52 AM
its funny, u guys at u of c hate the u pass yet so many peeps at mrc want it. if i had the option id still take it. never know when i gotta take the train to a hockey game or concert or something

lint
02-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by szw

Have you ever thought that the reason the university raised the parking prices is to give more incentive to people to take transit instead of driving? And with the new buildings, there are less lots, less spaces, and so the charges reflect supply and demand.
That's exactly what the city does with parking rates downtown. We have the highest parking costs of any major center in Canada. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but damned if I'm going to pay to park downtown. Easily makes the $65/month for a buss pass infinitely more reasonable. Maybe the university should follow the city's lead and start charging $300/month, or $17/day, or $6/hr at the meters.

Zero102
02-11-2004, 11:41 AM
I think the U-pass is BS. I have used it 3 times this year. $50 for 3 bus rides is bull.
I useta park at brentwood and walk in. I don't see why they are ticketing for that. We freakin paid for the parking space.
The fucking university keeps jacking parking rates so they can put in all new machines, to cheat you even more on your parking. No more running out to put another quarter in the meter!
That seems so fair.
:thumbsdow

I think the university should allow you to opt out. Then you could pay the cash to improve parking at the university. A few more multi-level lots and there would be tons of room for all of us. I have severe doubts that with what they are charging for parking that they can't afford it.

davidI
02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
U pass stays, i use it and I'm pretty sure the MAJORITY of students use it as well

The majority of students who vote use it. If you realized how CT manages to retain the same amount of money as they would have if the transit students bought a bus pass you'd realize it's more like 1 in 5 that use it.

davidI
02-11-2004, 11:56 AM

So what you're saying is that they should use the parking lot service AND the transit service instead of just using the parking lot service? That makes no sense. That's like me paying to go to a hotel but the people insist that I eat their continental breakfast, swim in their pool, kick back in their sauna, use as much ice out of their ice machine as possible. Why would they want you to use more services?

rice_eater
02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
what if you want to take the bus home instead of driving and you don't have enough money for a cab? For that one time that you get to use your pass isn't it so good to have :nut:

lint
02-11-2004, 12:08 PM

So what you're saying is that they should use the parking lot service AND the transit service instead of just using the parking lot service? That makes no sense. That's like me paying to go to a hotel but the people insist that I eat their continental breakfast, swim in their pool, kick back in their sauna, use as much ice out of their ice machine as possible. Why would they want you to use more services?

You're not paying to park there, you're paying to use the transit service. And what kind of analogy is that? How about you go to a hotel and eat their continental breakfast, swin in their pool, kick back in the sauna, use as much ice out of their ice machine as possible, AND THEN you complain about having to pay for a hotel room to use the amenities.

lint
02-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I think the U-pass is BS. I have used it 3 times this year. $50 for 3 bus rides is bull.
I useta park at brentwood and walk in. I don't see why they are ticketing for that. We freakin paid for the parking space.
The fucking university keeps jacking parking rates so they can put in all new machines, to cheat you even more on your parking. No more running out to put another quarter in the meter!
That seems so fair.
:thumbsdow

I think the university should allow you to opt out. Then you could pay the cash to improve parking at the university. A few more multi-level lots and there would be tons of room for all of us. I have severe doubts that with what they are charging for parking that they can't afford it.

First off, you PAID for a parking space at Brentwood? Second off, cheating you out of parking?
If you're complaining about $50 for a semester for a Upass, how much are you willing to pony up to improve parking at the university? To contribute to the builing of a few more multi-level lots? And where would you put these lots?
Let's create a free market for parking at the university, true economics, prices reflect supply and demand. How many full time students, part time students, faculty and other works are there? 30000? Now how many parking spots are there total? Conservative estimate would say 1000? 2000? Ok, why not use 5000. So already you have 1 parking spot for every 6 individuals. How much are you willing to pay for one of those spots? You think you can toss your $50 into the hat and secure one? If we use the rest of calgary as a measure, then there are individuals willing to pay $300+ per month to park. Conservatively there are even more people who will pay $200/month. Oh hell, lets be crazy and drop the price to $150/month, you can't even find that in the down town core. Would you be willing to pay that a month to drive and park at the u? I bet that if the university bumped up prices that high, they would still be able to fill all those parking spots. Where does that leave you?

davidI
02-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by lint

You're not paying to park there, you're paying to use the transit service. And what kind of analogy is that? How about you go to a hotel and eat their continental breakfast, swin in their pool, kick back in the sauna, use as much ice out of their ice machine as possible, AND THEN you complain about having to pay for a hotel room to use the amenities.

You have it the wrong way. It's like the hotel complaining that you didn't stay in their room after you paying and using everything else. Why should that upset them? Think about it...

edit: after re-reading your post I think you have everything really messed up in your head. My friends aren't complaining about paying for the U-Pass...they're complaining that they paid for it and now they aren't being allowed to use the parking lot. I'm surprised some people on these boards are even in university... :banghead:

davidI
02-11-2004, 12:53 PM

First off, you PAID for a parking space at Brentwood? Second off, cheating you out of parking?
If you're complaining about $50 for a semester for a Upass, how much are you willing to pony up to improve parking at the university? To contribute to the builing of a few more multi-level lots? And where would you put these lots?
Let's create a free market for parking at the university, true economics, prices reflect supply and demand. How many full time students, part time students, faculty and other works are there? 30000? Now how many parking spots are there total? Conservative estimate would say 1000? 2000? Ok, why not use 5000. So already you have 1 parking spot for every 6 individuals. How much are you willing to pay for one of those spots? You think you can toss your $50 into the hat and secure one? If we use the rest of calgary as a measure, then there are individuals willing to pay $300+ per month to park. Conservatively there are even more people who will pay $200/month. Oh hell, lets be crazy and drop the price to $150/month, you can't even find that in the down town core. Would you be willing to pay that a month to drive and park at the u? I bet that if the university bumped up prices that high, they would still be able to fill all those parking spots. Where does that leave you?

Carpooling? Walking? Biking? Rollerblading? Paying for parking...

Really it doesn't matter because it's the individuals using the service PAYING for the service.

lint
02-11-2004, 12:59 PM

You have it the wrong way. It's like the hotel complaining that you didn't stay in their room after you paying and using everything else. Why should that upset them? Think about it...

Like I originally posted, what did you pay for at the park and ride? Parking is free for transit users. You don't pay for parking and get free transit, although that might not be a bad idea. I think you need to go back and re-read what Ajay posted. CT tickets people who park at the parka nd ride, but don't ride. It's a CT parking lot, that is provided there as a service to encourage people to take public transit. Hence, the service that is paid for is taking the train, the parking is a bonus. You are trying to compare that with paying for a hotel room and then saying they force you to eat their food, use their facilities? How is paying for a hotel room even remotely similar to parking for free? As for why it upsets them, because the parking that they have provided for the use of paying transit customers is being filled up by non-paying university students. But indeed, it is something that I should think about. :rolleyes:

GT-FOUR
02-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Get over it.

The U pass is a basic transfer from the better off students to the less well off students, plain and simple.

If you can afford a car, insurance, parking, and school, the extra 50 bucks a semester shouldnt be too tough for you. There are some students who can truly barely afford to go to school and would normally pay $60 a MONTH for transit service.

I drive to school and park there 2 days a week, and the other 3 days i take the train downtown for work.

:rolleyes:

lint
02-11-2004, 01:09 PM

Really it doesn't matter because it's the individuals using the service PAYING for the service.

You don't get it. This is a great initiative that was brought forward so that there would be less of a strain on the parking situation at an overly crowded campus. There is easy access to the campus by transit, which is also less polluting and more environmentally friendly. The cost is ridiculously affordable being less than a single months transit pass. It is put in place to help out a large number of students in this city (UofC and SAIT). But you're up in arms because you have to pay for this service and don't want to take advantage of it. Well, as I was trying to demonstrate in that example, the alternative could be that you won't be able to afford to pay for the service. You'll be in for a big shock when you finish school and move out into the real world, where only the executives get parking, if you want to drive, you'll be paying $17/day or you can go the transit route at $65/month. Instead of bitching about it, why not try parking your car at a park and ride and take the train in? Less traffic headaches, get caught up on some reading. Make the most of the situation.

sputnik
02-11-2004, 02:27 PM
:werd:

wait until he realizes that downtown parking is $250-300/month.

UPass is an EXCELLENT initiative. Basically a cooperative to create subsidized transit for students and promote a much more environmentally friendly alternative to driving.

Think of it this way... your tuition has gone up and you now have free transit service... in the same way your tuition makes sure there is toilet paper in the bathrooms, garbages are emptied and that the lawn around campus is mowed...

consider it a perk

as for parking and walking to school... that is not the intent of the park and ride lots... they are there for people that park and then ride downtown or across to reduce the traffic in the downtown core and avoid paying a FORTUNE ($2500-3500/yr) in parking...

its no different than parking at a stripmall for the entire day while you are at school... then eating at the fast food joint at the stripmall... then returning to school... and then getting mad because you have been ticketed... the parking lot is being abused

davidI
02-11-2004, 02:27 PM

You don't get it. This is a great initiative that was brought forward so that there would be less of a strain on the parking situation at an overly crowded campus. There is easy access to the campus by transit, which is also less polluting and more environmentally friendly. The cost is ridiculously affordable being less than a single months transit pass. It is put in place to help out a large number of students in this city (UofC and SAIT). But you're up in arms because you have to pay for this service and don't want to take advantage of it. Well, as I was trying to demonstrate in that example, the alternative could be that you won't be able to afford to pay for the service. You'll be in for a big shock when you finish school and move out into the real world, where only the executives get parking, if you want to drive, you'll be paying $17/day or you can go the transit route at $65/month. Instead of bitching about it, why not try parking your car at a park and ride and take the train in? Less traffic headaches, get caught up on some reading. Make the most of the situation.

I'm not even going to argue with you. You're still saying the same retarded things. You said that the parking is for transit users - so if you pay for a transit pass you'd be considered a transit user correct? Well there ya go. And you're saying that I don't want to take advantage of it but maybe that is because I CAN'T take advantage of it just like thousands of others at our school. Find a bus that will get me to the school in less than an hour without driving to the stop and I'll give you a hero cookie. Since you're so much about these equalization payments you should try to find a communist country so that all wealth is distributed from the rich to the poor.

davidI
02-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by GT-FOUR
Get over it.

The U pass is a basic transfer from the better off students to the less well off students, plain and simple.

If you can afford a car, insurance, parking, and school, the extra 50 bucks a semester shouldnt be too tough for you. There are some students who can truly barely afford to go to school and would normally pay $60 a MONTH for transit service.

I drive to school and park there 2 days a week, and the other 3 days i take the train downtown for work.

:rolleyes:

So if you never used the train you wouldn't be bitter about the $500 you spent on it for other kids? $50/semester doesn't seem like a lot but $450-$500 over a 4 year degree is a lot of money I don't have. This semester I can't afford my statistics book - although had I not had to pay for the U Pass I could have been able to.

Ajay
02-11-2004, 02:41 PM

I don't understand how you think by paying for the UPass fee that get's you free parking at Brentwood station? The UPass is a PASS for taking transit not for a free spot in a C-Train station. You're supposed to be using the UPass for getting around.

In another one of your posts you said you were paying for the service...yes you are paying for the service but you're not using the service (transit) if you're just parking at Brentwood and walking to the U so you have no right to park there.

I'm sure by no means did the University figure by implementing the UPass were people going to park at Brentwood and walk to school and figure they could get away with it. Bottom line is you can't. You're not taking transit therefore not using your UPass so you can't park there.

Like I said...if your friends don't want to bitch about getting tickets then tell them to actually use their UPass from Brentwood to the UofC. I'm sure if they're parking there and using transit they aren't going to get tickets because they're USING transit. Either that or take it up the ass and pay for parking at the U.

UPass....:drama:

davidI
02-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

wait until he realizes that downtown parking is $250-300/month.

UPass is an EXCELLENT initiative. Basically a cooperative to create subsidized transit for students and promote a much more environmentally friendly alternative to driving.

Think of it this way... your tuition has gone up and you now have free transit service... in the same way your tuition makes sure there is toilet paper in the bathrooms, garbages are emptied and that the lawn around campus is mowed...

consider it a perk

as for parking and walking to school... that is not the intent of the park and ride lots... they are there for people that park and then ride downtown or across to reduce the traffic in the downtown core and avoid paying a FORTUNE ($2500-3500/yr) in parking...

its no different than parking at a stripmall for the entire day while you are at school... then eating at the fast food joint at the stripmall... then returning to school... and then getting mad because you have been ticketed... the parking lot is being abused

If I'm working downtown then I will be happy to pay my $300/month parking. Do I think that every citizen in Calgary should be taxed to provide free parking for me? HELL NO. With your whole tuition argument, I don't care if tuition goes up as long as I'm getting something out of it. So I pay an extra $300/year for business so they hire a good professor - AWESOME, I came to school to learn and now I'm getting a better education. I AM GETTING NOTHING FROM A UP ASS.

As far as your parking at a strip mall is concerned it is completely different. People who park and at the Park and Rides are expected by Calgary Transit to pay for a ticket for the train, plain and simple. Every U of C student that has parked at a park and ride has paid for their ticket through their fees.

I'm not against the U Pass in every sense, just the way it is currently set-up. I'm all for transit kids having a cheaper alternative to buying monthly passes. The way it is currently set-up with 'equalization' type payments is bullshit though. The only way that transit will re-negotiate the terms of the agreement is if people vote No this election. I believe there should be a cheaper alternative to buying a monthly pass but that alternative should not be making drivers pay. It's often not our choice to drive. I need to get from my home to the school to volunteering to working within 15 minute intervals throughout the day. If you can find me a bus from my house to the school that would be great. Then, if you could find me a route to volunteer in less than 15 minutes that would also be ideal, then, when I'm working outside of the city limits I will give you money to find me a bus out there. I don't own a car by choice, I own one out of necessity. I have to pay for the insurance, gas, maintenance and initial purchase price by working my ass off over the summer. If I could easily get around on transit I wouldn't have a car - plain and simple. So why am I spending extra days during the summer working to provide for those who are lucky enough to live next to an LRT stop?

This will probably be my last post in this thread. I definately see a few of your refutes to the debate but wait until you end up having to pay $500 for something you will never use and I will find benefit out of. You would be pissed. Of course I would love it but I would realize that it is an unfair system and I would still vote it down.

Maybe they should institute a mandatory fee and provide dinner for those with evening classes. Yea, it sux that you don't have an evening class but since some of us have to eat and we're at the school late I think that it would be a fair if you payed for my food. It makes no sense and neither does the U Pass.

sputnik
02-11-2004, 02:54 PM

This semester I can't afford my statistics book - although had I not had to pay for the U Pass I could have been able to.

but you also own 2 cars... drive daily and probably spend more than $50-75 after a couple nights at the bar...

i think you have your priorities a bit screwed up

sputnik
02-11-2004, 02:57 PM

If I'm working downtown then I will be happy to pay my $300/month parking. Do I think that every citizen in Calgary should be taxed to provide free parking for me? HELL NO. With your whole tuition argument, I don't care if tuition goes up as long as I'm getting something out of it. So I pay an extra $300/year for business so they hire a good professor - AWESOME, I came to school to learn and now I'm getting a better education. I AM GETTING NOTHING FROM A UP ASS.

What if they hire 10 new profs... your tuition goes up... and you get none of them? Are you going to tell me that you are getting screwed and that everyone deserves a shittier education?

sputnik
02-11-2004, 03:02 PM

This will probably be my last post in this thread. I definately see a few of your refutes to the debate but wait until you end up having to pay $500 for something you will never use and I will find benefit out of. You would be pissed. Of course I would love it but I would realize that it is an unfair system and I would still vote it down.

Obviously you must live with mommy and daddy... or have never paid PROPERTY TAXES.

I pay school tax every year... and I have NO kids that go to school... i also put money into CPP and when I am 65 I will be lucky if I even see a PENNY of it.

I'm not going to vote down either because both provide a more comfortable and educated society. If getting to school was a burden... that would be a shame... at least that hurdle has been avoided for many.

THAT'S LIFE! Suck it up princess!

davidI
02-11-2004, 03:06 PM

but you also own 2 cars... drive daily and probably spend more than $50-75 after a couple nights at the bar...

i think you have your priorities a bit screwed up

I just sold one of my cars back to my father for cash so I can afford tuition and the U Pass and I've been out less than 10 times this entire year and generally when I do go out it's to spend $10 at Cowboys. :whipped:

davidI
02-11-2004, 03:11 PM

Obviously you must live with mommy and daddy... or have never paid PROPERTY TAXES.

I pay school tax every year... and I have NO kids that go to school... i also put money into CPP and when I am 65 I will be lucky if I even see a PENNY of it.

I'm not going to vote down either because both provide a more comfortable and educated society. If getting to school was a burden... that would be a shame... at least that hurdle has been avoided for many.

THAT'S LIFE! Suck it up princess!

I do live with mommy and daddy because I have no money. The reason I will be happy to pay my school tax is because the people before me that paid it put me through the school system, therefore I got something out of it. An educated society also decreases the crime rate and helps out our economy so there are tons of benefits. I agree with you that CPP is bullshit and I have also put a lot of money into that and will be happy to get something out of it when I'm old. The fact is that in municipal, provincial and federal elections there is a majority of society that votes. The University of Calgary does not have a majority of voters and for that reason I can foresee the transit pass being voted in once again since it is the transit kids that will put in the effort to go and vote yes. The fact remains that a lot of kids with cars have their tuition paid by mommy and daddy and they could care less if their parents have to fork out the extra $500.

davidI
02-11-2004, 03:14 PM

What if they hire 10 new profs... your tuition goes up... and you get none of them? Are you going to tell me that you are getting screwed and that everyone deserves a shittier education?

No, the better profs will make our school better and allow my degree to look more prestigious. If I went to Harvard and had the 20 worst prof's in the school I still have a Harvard degree. The fact is that the high tuition they pay brings in many high quality profs that increase the perception of the school. If the business school went from the top 100 to the top 50 because of an increase in tuition I would be very happy - my education is suddenly worth that much more when I go to get a job.

lint
02-11-2004, 04:00 PM

edit: after re-reading your post I think you have everything really messed up in your head. My friends aren't complaining about paying for the U-Pass...they're complaining that they paid for it and now they aren't being allowed to use the parking lot. I'm surprised some people on these boards are even in university... :banghead:

You're absolutely right. You weren't complaining about paying for a Upass at all. And somehow I misunderstood that the Upass also doubled as a parking pass. My bad. Good thing I'm not in university anymore, I can see it's totally gone down the toilet.

I'm not even going to argue with you. You're still saying the same retarded things. You said that the parking is for transit users - so if you pay for a transit pass you'd be considered a transit user correct? Well there ya go. And you're saying that I don't want to take advantage of it but maybe that is because I CAN'T take advantage of it just like thousands of others at our school. Find a bus that will get me to the school in less than an hour without driving to the stop and I'll give you a hero cookie. Since you're so much about these equalization payments you should try to find a communist country so that all wealth is distributed from the rich to the poor.

And if you really think that my comments belong in a communist country, why don't you look at our health care premiums, EI premiums, city taxes, etc? Canada is not a true free market economy. As a society we have a certain level of caring that extends to those less fortunate, or unable to provide. Have you thought about where mommy and daddy's taxes go? Do you realize that a portion of that tax was used to create the Calgary Drop in Centre? That would be distributing wealth from the rich to the poor. I guess Calgary qualifies as a communist city by your definition.

So if you never used the train you wouldn't be bitter about the $500 you spent on it for other kids? $50/semester doesn't seem like a lot but $450-$500 over a 4 year degree is a lot of money I don't have. This semester I can't afford my statistics book - although had I not had to pay for the U Pass I could have been able to.

But you're right, $50/semester doesn't seem like a lot, but when you look at the big picture, $500 over 4 years. OH MY GOD! Why didn't I see this before? How could I have missed it? Lordy lordy me, I've wasted my university education. You must be a math major? No, wait. You're studying how to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

davidI
02-11-2004, 04:57 PM

You're absolutely right. You weren't complaining about paying for a Upass at all. And somehow I misunderstood that the Upass also doubled as a parking pass. My bad. Good thing I'm not in university anymore, I can see it's totally gone down the toilet.

And if you really think that my comments belong in a communist country, why don't you look at our health care premiums, EI premiums, city taxes, etc? Canada is not a true free market economy. As a society we have a certain level of caring that extends to those less fortunate, or unable to provide. Have you thought about where mommy and daddy's taxes go? Do you realize that a portion of that tax was used to create the Calgary Drop in Centre? That would be distributing wealth from the rich to the poor. I guess Calgary qualifies as a communist city by your definition.

But you're right, $50/semester doesn't seem like a lot, but when you look at the big picture, $500 over 4 years. OH MY GOD! Why didn't I see this before? How could I have missed it? Lordy lordy me, I've wasted my university education. You must be a math major? No, wait. You're studying how to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Allright, this will definately be my last post because I'm not changing my mind and obviously neither are you guys. Once again, of course I'm complaining about my U Pass. I said my friends aren't complaining about the U Pass just the fact that they are getting in shit for using the services that they paid for. Second of all, the drop in centre does provide a service to all of society - crime rates are lowered. Health Care services will be used by all and it is something that everyone wants. It's insurance towards if you need a million dollar operation. E.I. premiums are once again something you may need to use if you are ever stranded without employment. I can guarantee you that I will NEVER need the U Pass. The U Pass does not provide for the less fortunate. It's often the exact opposite. Most of the kids I know that use the U Pass moved out from home and now live near the school or by the LRT station - ie. they have money. A lot of broke ass kids such as myself live at home because they can't afford to move away from home. Finally, I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill - just show that your views are fundamentally flawed. Try passing a city wide free transit pass to all Albertans for a $300 increase to your property taxes. Would it pass? Hell no. Why wouldn't it? Because the transit system doesn't reach all of Alberta and the majority of Albertans don't use Transit daily. So why is it allowed to stand at the University? I'll grant you that a higher percentage of students will use it than the percentage of Albertans but do you think it's a majority?

I honestly do not think the U Pass is the biggest corruption in society or as extravagent of a problem as I make it out to be - I'm just playing the side of the opposition. The problem with democratic society today is that no one is willing to voice the views of the other side. I think for something like the U Pass the vote should almost be mandatory so enough people actually vote to make it legitimate. The issue of the U Pass is simple and could even be voted on during Registration. Most people don't give too shits about the SU election and therefore they do not vote. If I knew that there was a majority vote from EVERY SINGLE STUDENT at the school I would let it slide but the fact is I think if everyone in the school voted, the U Pass would be voted down.

Also, since you don't think $500 is a big deal maybe you should send that money my way and cover my losses since you were the one deriving the benefit from them.

sexualbanana
02-11-2004, 05:16 PM

If that's your point, then I should be able to opt out of some of my taxes because I pay for health care, but I go see a doctor like twice a year. Yet other people are going every week or every other week, and stay at hospitals and get surgery on top of that. So they should be paying because they use it more than I do.

tulit
02-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Man, I'm sick of you guys all for the U-PASS complaining how it would cost you $60/month for a train pass if U-PASS wasn't inplace.

Well, parking on the University costs me $60/month too.

So, since we're helping you with YOUR transportation, why don't you help us with OURS?

Lets make UPASS $200/semester, $50 going to CT, $150 going to parking services (since we can say 1/4 of the students use UPASS, the other 3/4 dont) and the UPASS gives you your choice of taking the train or getting free parking on campus. Saves everyone money.

Sounds fair to me.

Now you see how this sounds completely rediculous? All the transit users will complain how they have to pay for parking they aren't even using?????????

All of us drivers can then come back and cry that you too can drive and make use of parking your paying for. Its not our fault you choose to take the train is it? Plus, without the parking being paid for by everyone, it would cost us almost $60 a MONTH to park our cars at the University!!!! How unfair!!!!!

davidI
02-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

If that's your point, then I should be able to opt out of some of my taxes because I pay for health care, but I go see a doctor like twice a year. Yet other people are going every week or every other week, and stay at hospitals and get surgery on top of that. So they should be paying because they use it more than I do.

Gavin, next time I see you I'm going to kick you in the nuts and then you'll be happy you paid for your healthcare ;)

Read above and I basically described Healthcare as insurance towards when/if you need an operation. I don't need 'transit pass insurance.'

See ya in OPMA tomorrow (wear your can) :D

sexualbanana
02-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Gavin, next time I see you I'm going to kick you in the nuts and then you'll be happy you paid for your healthcare ;)

Read above and I basically described Healthcare as insurance towards when/if you need an operation. I don't need 'transit pass insurance.'

See ya in OPMA tomorrow (wear your can) :D

You'll have to catch me first!!! You slow bitch!

davidI
02-11-2004, 05:58 PM

You'll have to catch me first!!! You slow bitch!

I'll just bring some jr. high girls to catch your undevided attention and that's when I'll Ro Jam Bo you :D

sexualbanana
02-11-2004, 07:49 PM

Maybe you do. Maybe that $50 is 'in case my car breaks' insurance or 'in case roads suck' insurance.

GT-FOUR
02-11-2004, 08:52 PM

:whocares:

$50 x 4 years = $200 out of a total 20 grand+ that I'll be spending at the U. I think I'll be able to live with it. :rolleyes:

It's a transfer, plain and simple. Rich people pay more than poor people in taxes. It's life. Honestly I support it regardless of if I use it or not. There used to be huge line ups to get into the parking lots, which never happen any more. It benefits you, even though you might not think so.

-Chris

Seanith
02-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for reminding me! :)

I'm not even voting for actual positions. I could care less about who gets in, as long as Barskis cabinet doens't get in.

Ajay
02-11-2004, 09:37 PM

$50 x 4 years = $200 out of a total 20 grand+ that I'll be spending at the U. I think I'll be able to live with it. :rolleyes:

It's a transfer, plain and simple. Rich people pay more than poor people in taxes. It's life. Honestly I support it regardless of if I use it or not. There used to be huge line ups to get into the parking lots, which never happen any more. It benefits you, even though you might not think so.

-Chris

I don't like the fact I'm paying for UPass but the way tuition is and the way it will probably rise the extra $50 won't make me lose any sleep at night. Sure Harvey's a bastard that's only concerned with the economics of an education but if I can be better than Harvey that's great.

I still don't understand how you (davidI) seem to think your friends are getting in shit for a 'using' a service they paid for (parking at Brentwood). They're paying for the UPass along with every single one of us that goes to UofC but they aren't using the service if they're parking their cars at an area meant to be used by paying customers who use TRANSIT. I said it before and I'll say it again it doesn't get you a parking pass it gets you a cheaper alternative to riding public transit.

UPass does not equal a free parking stall at a train station especially if you aren't even using transit.

Seanith
02-11-2004, 10:00 PM

As for why it upsets them, because the parking that they have provided for the use of paying transit customers is being filled up by non-paying university students. :rolleyes:

By charging us for the UPASS, we are theoretically paying transit customers regardless of whether or not we actually used calgary transit. Its like a gym membership, your getting charged whether or not your working or not. If you go in one day and watch tv at the gym and not work out, does the fact that your not working out mean that you can't still benefit from your membership? :dunno:

davidI
02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

By charging us for the UPASS, we are theoretically paying transit customers regardless of whether or not we actually used calgary transit. Its like a gym membership, your getting charged whether or not your working or not. If you go in one day and watch tv at the gym and not work out, does the fact that your not working out mean that you can't still benefit from your membership? :dunno:

:werd: and GT-FOUR, it's actually $56 per semester so over 4 years that's $448.

davidI
02-11-2004, 10:30 PM

Maybe you do. Maybe that $50 is 'in case my car breaks' insurance or 'in case roads suck' insurance.

If my car breaks or the roads suck that doesn't change the fact that there is no train near my house.

Ajay
02-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

Agreed....we all pay for the UPass so we are all paying transit customers but once again Brentwood, Dalhousie and all the other Park and RIDE's are meant for people who are actually riding the train. It's not Park and Walk To School And Take Up Spots For People Who Actually Need Them.

Your gym membership analogy makes sense in this case but it still doesn't take away from the fact that if you aren't using transit....don't park at the Park and Ride's.

davidI
02-11-2004, 11:58 PM

Agreed....we all pay for the UPass so we are all paying transit customers but once again Brentwood, Dalhousie and all the other Park and RIDE's are meant for people who are actually riding the train. It's not Park and Walk To School And Take Up Spots For People Who Actually Need Them.

Your gym membership analogy makes sense in this case but it still doesn't take away from the fact that if you aren't using transit....don't park at the Park and Ride's.

So you're saying the kids should just hop on the Brentwood LRT, ride to the University Station and walk from there?

GT-FOUR
02-12-2004, 12:16 AM

:werd: and GT-FOUR, it's actually $56 per semester so over 4 years that's $448.

DavidI, you wouldn't happen to be "dingel" on c.net ? :thumbsup:

Anyways back to my point:

Still irrelevant. I have my car and I also drive a truck, both regularily. I dont use transit for school at all. Do you remember when you could arrive at the U for a 930 class and have to wait 45 minutes to get a parking spot? Doesnt happen any more, because more students are now using transit.

There are some students that seriously can't afford to buy a bus pass at 60 bux a month. You could afford it if you wanted to. Transfers like this are nothing new.

You guys should go bitch at the government because your tax rate is higher than the alberta cattle farmer that brings home $10,000 a year to support his family. Same shit.

Also sexualbanana, you wouldnt be gavin tang eh?

Anyways, theres way too much bitching here about this. This initiative benefitted a lot of people at very little social cost to the students that are better off financially.

Chris
88 Celica 4WD Turbo

davidI
02-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Haha,
yea Chris, I'm Dingel on C.net.

I agree that this thread has gotten to the point of :whocares: because everyone has their own opinions and they're not going to change. I just know I have less money than pretty much everyone I know who uses their transit pass and that's what I'm bitter about. Maybe they should have some sort of $3/student levy for those who actually are in financial need to provide them with a pass or something, I dunno. I just know that I could have used that $500 on a 3S-GTE instead of a Transit Pass and that fact tickles me the wrong way :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
02-12-2004, 01:06 AM
Also sexualbanana, you wouldnt be gavin tang eh?

Sure is. Dietrich?

GT-FOUR
02-12-2004, 01:20 AM

Sure is. Dietrich?

Haha close enough. (Dittrick) Haven't chatted in a while man...hows the civic treating you? Not sure if I mentioned but I swapped in a new engine into my car this summer...now running awesome finally. Awesome = fast. :D Hope to run the 1/4 this summer and break into the 13's...but we'll see. haha.

:)

Chris

Ajay
02-12-2004, 12:19 PM

So you're saying the kids should just hop on the Brentwood LRT, ride to the University Station and walk from there?

If you're going to be parking at Brentwood Park and Ride then that's exactly what I'm saying. If you're riding the train you won't get a ticket for parking your car there as compared to getting a ticket if you simply park your car there and walk to school.

I understand it doesn't seem logical but that's really your only way to get around not getting a ticket because once again...it's Park and RIDE not simply a free parking spot.

I pay for parking every day and I could easily use your logic and park my car at Brentwood and walk to school claiming my UPass is providing me with that "service" but it's not...it's to ride transit...not to park.

But what's done is done....let's move on and forget about this now pointless thread.

davidI
02-12-2004, 04:08 PM

I understand it doesn't seem logical but that's really your only way to get around not getting a ticket

I always thought Universities were supposed to teach students how to find the logical solution?

Anyways, :whocares: :closed:

02bump'nWRX
02-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Really it all boils down to is who has to pay more. Basicly what dave is saying, is that he's pissed that guys like me who use the upass are causing him to pay $500 more in his university career. Well If Dave gets his way and it gets taken out then i'm gonna have to pay over 500 bucks for one school years worth of transit. (8 months X $65 a month). So really, who would be getting screwed over then??????

So unless his money has some sort of magical value that makes his 500 for 4 years better then the 2k i would spend for my next 2 years, i think that utilitarianism should prevail. The most amount of good is the way to go!!! Therefore YES for UPASS!!!

Secondly if it is removed we will likely be having this discussion next year except dave will be on the other end of the spectrum and I would be feeling how he is right now. But my 500 a year is much more significant than his 500 for 4 years!!!

Weapon_R
02-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX
So really, who would be getting screwed over then??????

So unless his money has some sort of magical value that makes his 500 for 4 years better then the 2k i would spend for my next 2 years, i think that utilitarianism should prevail. The most amount of good is the way to go!!! Therefore YES for UPASS!!!

You aren't getting the point. No one cares if you have to pay transit to get to school. It's not my responsibility to get you to school. If you will pay for my parking at school, I will pay for your parking pass. Better yet, you pay for your transportation, and i'll pay for mine.

davidI
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM

My $500 comes out of my pocket instead of the 2k out of your mommy and daddies :poosie: ;)

Edit: I just wanted to add that you sound pretty communist for a conservative club member :tongue:

GT-FOUR
02-13-2004, 11:13 AM

Utility theory owns j00.

davidI
02-13-2004, 11:38 AM

Utility theory owns j00.

I fail to see the utility in me paying to support a kid with a 02 WRX and a 1970 Vette when I'm struggling to afford tuition :D

I get your guys' point but I think it is somewhat cynical.

Oh, and Mitch, I don't get why you say you'll be feeling the same way that I do if there is no U Pass. You'll be spending money to pay for something that you're using...that's your choice to spend it or not. You won't be paying to support anything for me so I have no idea how you could compare the two :thumbsup:

MerfBall
02-13-2004, 12:47 PM

The U Pass does not provide for the less fortunate. It's often the exact opposite. Most of the kids I know that use the U Pass moved out from home and now live near the school or by the LRT station - ie. they have money. A lot of broke ass kids such as myself live at home because they can't afford to move away from home. Finally, I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill - just show that your views are fundamentally flawed. Try passing a city wide free transit pass to all Albertans for a $300 increase to your property taxes. Would it pass? Hell no. Why wouldn't it? Because the transit system doesn't reach all of Alberta and the majority of Albertans don't use Transit daily. So why is it allowed to stand at the University? I'll grant you that a higher percentage of students will use it than the percentage of Albertans but do you think it's a majority?

I honestly do not think the U Pass is the biggest corruption in society or as extravagent of a problem as I make it out to be - I'm just playing the side of the opposition. The problem with democratic society today is that no one is willing to voice the views of the other side. I think for something like the U Pass the vote should almost be mandatory so enough people actually vote to make it legitimate. The issue of the U Pass is simple and could even be voted on during Registration. Most people don't give too shits about the SU election and therefore they do not vote. If I knew that there was a majority vote from EVERY SINGLE STUDENT at the school I would let it slide but the fact is I think if everyone in the school voted, the U Pass would be voted down.

There's some flaws in your argument. You are under the assumption that students who live on their own are all from Calgary and have money to do so. When in fact I guarantee that the vast majority of students who do live on their own are from outside of calgary and are far from rich and usually rely on student loans and part time jobs to survive.

It also sounds like you are under the assumption that it is cheaper to drive than to bus it to school, while I can guarantee you that it may be more convenient to drive, you are paying far more to drive to school when you calculate cost of gas, maintenance, and parking costs.

Even if there was a vote there is a higher chance that the U Pass will stand. U of C has student population of roughly 25,000. And not many of these students do not have the privelege to own or even have access to a car to drive to school. Even the students that don't live at home don't have the money to rent close to school or live in rez (ever compare the rent by the university to rent in other areas of the city, it's DAMN expensive). From a Student population stand point the price that everyone else pays for the U Pass is like social services in society that helps out the poor. Let me reiterate that the vast majority of U of C students given current (and steadily increasing) cost of living in Calgary and tuition rates in Calgary are poor and the U Pass definitely helps them out.

You know what you guys should be fighting is why is the tuition going up still... You might say its for the new buildings and profs... but you have to remember that Profs while are paid by the university get most of their money from research grants. Remember profs at Univeristy's primary job is research. The classes they teach is just a requirement of their job. As for the buildings take the ICT building as an example, the money for that building came from the private sector that questioned why there were so few CPSC grads coming out U of C and provided millions of dollars in grants to the University. Ever wonder why scurfield has company logos all over the place, companies pay money to put all of that up...

And just FYI where the U Pass came from students have been fighting for something like the U Pass for a long time. I doubt it will go away any time soon.

MM99lude
02-13-2004, 12:50 PM
The U-Pass should just have an opt out option... allowing those who don't use it to apply and not have to pay for it. And those that do use the services will still be able to get to the U without too much worry.

sputnik
02-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MM99lude
The U-Pass should just have an opt out option... allowing those who don't use it to apply and not have to pay for it. And those that do use the services will still be able to get to the U without too much worry.

They should also let you opt out of library use, washroom use, food court use too...

Because those cost money too and benefit MOST students... if the UPass was hidden deeper in tuition and tuition just went up $50 (as it often does)... no one would care

davidI
02-13-2004, 02:44 PM

They should also let you opt out of library use, washroom use, food court use too...

Because those cost money too and benefit MOST students... if the UPass was hidden deeper in tuition and tuition just went up $50 (as it often does)... no one would care

You guys are right in a way and that does offer a solution at the same time. I read an article in the gauntlet saying that the university loses close to a million dollars every year in credit card fees (through students paying there tuition online). Now if you take 20 000 students x $122/year U Pass that is 2.24 million. I think the school should lose the convenience of online cc fee payment and turn the U Pass into an opt-out program. I imagine that they could re-cuperate $1.24 Million from students who do use the U pass (that would be 11 000 users.) Even if there were only say 6000 users which is probably closer to the truth it would just be $100/user per semester. Now everyone has the best of both worlds except we'd all need to take an extra minute out of our day to use direct deposit at a bank.

MerfBall
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM

I read an article in the gauntlet saying that the university loses close to a million dollars every year in credit card fees (through students paying there tuition online). Now if you take 20 000 students x $122/year U Pass that is 2.24 million. I think the school should lose the convenience of online cc fee payment and turn the U Pass into an opt-out program.

Don't ever think the University actually "lost" that much money... tuition has also goes up every year and has gone up exponentially in the past 10 years.

maximus
02-13-2004, 04:44 PM

Do you remember when you could arrive at the U for a 930 class and have to wait 45 minutes to get a parking spot? Doesnt happen any more, because more students are now using transit.

Thats what prics are for. Prices are supposed to be the mechanism that drives demand NOT redistribution payments.

GT-FOUR
02-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by maximus

Thats what prics are for. Prices are supposed to be the mechanism that drives demand NOT redistribution payments.

Not entirely true. The goal of the regulatory body (the university) should be to maximize surplus, and redistribute the gains afterwards if there is an equity issue that is socially undesireable or unwanted. With the Upass, the UofC is able to continue to sell the large majority of parking spaces and be profitable, while making transit users significantly better off (much better off than the non-transit users are harmed). Also, as I'm sure you have noticed, parking rates have gone up in recent years.

Now utility theory and econ477 ownz j00.

And another thing. If the U of C were to raise parking rates so that it cost $50 more per semester for you, would you bitch? Would you stop driving? Probably not because that doesnt work out to a significant $/day figure. This way, the only gain would be marginally shorter line ups at the lots. Upass plan is clearly much better than this line of thought.

davidI
02-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

Don't ever think the University actually "lost" that much money... tuition has also goes up every year and has gone up exponentially in the past 10 years.

What do you mean? If I pay my fees through direct deposit they will get my full $4800 or whatever it is. If the credit card company is collecting 2.2% or whatever their current set rate is the cc company will get $105.6 of that. The fact that the University may have had to increase tuition in the past to replace the funds lost to credit card companies does not change the fact of what I'm saying at all - I'm paying Visa $100 every year when I use my Credit Card and the school is therefore losing that $100.

KELSTAR
02-15-2004, 12:59 AM
Sorry if this ruins peoples nights! The election results are in! The U-Pass... 4730 voted YES.. only 1328 voted No!

Seanith
02-15-2004, 01:05 AM
boo urns.

maximus
02-15-2004, 01:52 AM

an equity issue that is socially undesireable or unwanted.

There was no issue that was socially undesireable or unwanted. You think the UofC came up with this idea because they were really worried about the cost for transit users??? I've never heard of this concern for the 4 years I've been there. They were approached by city transit for this plan and I'm the U gets something out of it because, if you havn't noticed, they really arn't out there concerned about our welfare as much as they are for profit.

And yes I've noticed that prices have been going up. I've been going there for 4 years now and every year the prices at each lot go up, and you know what, I've also noticed that lot 10 was less and less full every year. And that was before the U pass.

Maybe common sense ownz j00
:dunno:

maximus
02-15-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by KELSTAR
Sorry if this ruins peoples nights! The election results are in! The U-Pass... 4730 voted YES.. only 1328 voted No!

As expected.....

davidI
02-15-2004, 03:26 AM

As expected.....

No shit....only 25% of the school voted - expectadely most of them transit users.

P.S. I'm drunk as fuck and I sincerely don't care anymore

KELSTAR
02-15-2004, 10:23 AM

No shit....only 25% of the school voted - expectadely most of them transit users.

Well if mostly "transit users" voted in your opinion.. then I guess that the U-Pass should stay in.. If all the drivers don't vote, then they have no right to complain..

sputnik
02-15-2004, 10:29 AM

Well if mostly "transit users" voted in your opinion.. then I guess that the U-Pass should stay in.. If all the drivers don't vote, then they have no right to complain..

welcome to democracy

davidI
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM

welcome to democracy

I agree with that for sure. A majority is a majority.

RiCE-DaDDy
02-15-2004, 03:30 PM
it shows that the drivers dont care or daddy pays for it all so why would they care? lol

maximus
02-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Bottom line is even if every driver votes they will be outnumbered by the transit users.

Oh well I'm leaving next year so :whocares:

davidI
02-15-2004, 04:51 PM

Bottom line is even if every driver votes they will be outnumbered by the transit users.

If you read this entire thread you'd know that the CT works on a cost recovery business - ie. for every transit user there are 4 people paying for it that are NOT using it. But it has been voted on and the U-Pass stays no matter what.

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 12:52 PM
I read most of the posts on the UP-ASS.
I'm one of those extremely against the UPass. It's a complete waste of money for those who drive out of necessity.
Springbank doesn't even have the transit running up there.
How about the opportunity cost of sitting on the bus to get to school as opposed to driving there. You can spend that extra an hour a day doing something else.
Nearly all of my friends on campus drive like I do.
We all have other obligations: work, sports, etc to commit to after or before school and it just makes no sense to be taking the bus since we nearly all live at least a 15 minute drive (good traffic) away from the university.
We can either drive the 15 minutes or else we can take the bus for an hour.
So not only do we need to pay for our INCREASED parking (the science parking lot where I usually am increased from $4.50-$5.50 per day) but we also need to pay for a useless UPass.
I would prefer to pay either one of the increases. Either pay for the UPass and have parking rates stay the same (the UPass calls for less congestion of the parking lots) or else pay for increased parking prices.
The more logical of the two would be to pay for the UPass and be able to find easier parking.
GrrRRR...

RiCE-DaDDy
02-19-2004, 01:04 PM
^ its called inflation :D

i remember in junior high the price of pop went up by 25cents each year haha

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 01:16 PM
if the parking prices were to reflect the rate of inflation then I believe that the prices should be going up 1-3% of the original price. I believe that was the rate of average annual increase that we were told in my economics class. I'm not completely certain tho, so those people who know what the actual increase is, please feel free to correct me.
So with the largest increase of 3% the price would still be 4.64.
From 4.50 - 5.50 there is a 22% increase.
Thieves!

DJ Lazy
02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
*deep breath*... Ok, I just read EVERY post from the beginning..

I USE the U-Pass, I goto SAIT, I drive my PARENTS truck, and I live out in Priddis, which is out in the area of Turner Valley/Black Diamond.

It sucks, I hate it. But I have to get to school somehow. Not only do I have to drive into the city just to GET to a transit station, but I gotta pay for the U-Pass aswell.. I can garuntee that I spend MORE than 50 bucks a month on gas just to get to that Transit station... So I have to pay to drive, and pay to take transit... Just like the rest of you complaining about the U-Pass, and like I said, I pay more than that 50 dollars you are forced to pay, just so I can get to transit. You pay 50 bux a semester for the upass, so do I, but I also have to pay ATLEAST $200 a month for gas... $800 a semester... So how is that fair for me.. I have to drive and take transit.. which brings up the point of the Brentwood park and ride BS... I have a BITCH of a time getting a spot at the train station, and I USE transit.. its not as much of an issue at the station I use (Fish Creek) with ppl parking and walkin to school.. But I am sure there are others who have this problem at the Brentwood ones.. And it would REALLY piss me off to know that ppl are taking up parking space and not using the transit service...

I know the vote is done, but I still gotta get my responce in :D

Lifes a BITCH... Deal with it... I pay out the ass just to get to school, I pay out the ass for everything that is provided to all of society that I don't use, we all pay out the ass for everything whether we use it or not..

PS: I know a good number of other ppl that are in the same situation as I am when it comes to being outside the city and having to get to school... So this isn't just me as an isolated individual... ;)

Cheers. :)

MerfBall
02-19-2004, 02:27 PM

HAHA... so only 25% of the school even give a crap.

Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I'm one of those extremely against the UPass. It's a complete waste of money for those who drive out of necessity.
How about the opportunity cost of sitting on the bus to get to school as opposed to driving there. You can spend that extra an hour a day doing something else.
Nearly all of my friends on campus drive like I do.
We all have other obligations: work, sports, etc to commit to after or before school and it just makes no sense to be taking the bus since we nearly all live at least a 15 minute drive (good traffic) away from the university.
We can either drive the 15 minutes or else we can take the bus for an hour.
So not only do we need to pay for our INCREASED parking (the science parking lot where I usually am increased from $4.50-$5.50 per day) but we also need to pay for a useless UPass.
I would prefer to pay either one of the increases. Either pay for the UPass and have parking rates stay the same (the UPass calls for less congestion of the parking lots) or else pay for increased parking prices.
The more logical of the two would be to pay for the UPass and be able to find easier parking.
GrrRRR...

There is always the choice to park and ride and not park at school since you pay for the pass anyways. Actually when I take the train from downtown I see lots of post secondary students reading their texts on the train. And as mentioned before the vast majority of students at University do not have the privelege to own or have access to a car. As for parking fees, the parking fees at the Science parking lot has gone up from 4.25 to 4.50 in 1996, stayed there all the way up until what seems to be now, that's a good 8 years of no increases, i'd say thats pretty good.

davidI
02-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by MerfBall

HAHA... so only 25% of the school even give a crap.

It's a pretty good assumption that most people who drive also have their tuition paid for by their parents so they wouldn't give a crap about extra fees. It's for the ones that do drive, pay their own fees and don't use the UPass that would have voted against it (will never be a majority...)

sputnik
02-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

Considering you dont pay Calgary property taxes (which funds CT) you cant expect to see buses/trains in Springbank.

If you choose to live outside of the city you need to accept the fact that transportation will be an issue. To solve this problem "simply" move into the city... but clearly that would cost quite a bit more money overall. So quit complaining and realize that YOUR OPINION IS THAT OF THE MINIORITY.

If it was really causing that much conflict... the vote would have been MUCH closer

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM

Considering you dont pay Calgary property taxes (which funds CT) you cant expect to see buses/trains in Springbank.

If you choose to live outside of the city you need to accept the fact that transportation will be an issue. To solve this problem "simply" move into the city... but clearly that would cost quite a bit more money overall. So quit complaining and realize that YOUR OPINION IS THAT OF THE MINIORITY.

If it was really causing that much conflict... the vote would have been MUCH closer

Minority?? ha ha ha, who reallys knows what the entire campus thinks as only 25% voted. So if the majority of the 25% who voted voted yes then it would mean that they are still a minority.
It's quite a high handed assumption for you to be making that my opinion is in the minority. If you read these past posts in this thread you can even see that the opinions are nearly half half.

Once again, here's another example of you assuming. This time though, it's quite easy for me to prove you wrong. Maybe you should read more carefully and that way you don't need to assume so much. I don't live outside the city. As for paying taxes, Revenue Canada is not after my family so I can safely say that we DO pay taxes including CALGARY PROPERTY TAX. I live downtown and in Edgemont. I don't know how I can move anymore into the city as I already live in the downtown CORE!

I was under the impression that the vote was pretty close.. something like 40 - 60.
Who knows, another election just went on.. maybe those who had been unaware of the vote the first time went online to vote this time.

It's obviously quite an issue if the UPass is being voted on again at the SU elections. If my opinion was of the minority then there would be no need to address it in another election.

BebeAphrodite
02-19-2004, 02:48 PM

It's a pretty good assumption that most people who drive also have their tuition paid for by their parents so they wouldn't give a crap about extra fees. It's for the ones that do drive, pay their own fees and don't use the UPass that would have voted against it (will never be a majority...)

Even if someone's parents paid for their tuition, car, parking, etc, why would they want to rip off their parents? Those people would still vote for a no. But most people that I know who were against it didn't even know that there was a vote last year. Because a lot of the people who drive are able to leave campus as soon as their classes are over and don't even know what's going on around campus.