PDA

View Full Version : Accident question

finboy
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Long story short, my girlfriend got in a stop and go fender bender. The damage is light, and it sounds like the other party doesn't mind going outside of insurance. My concern is if she does pay for the persons damage, and the person decides to sue the insurance company anyways after the fact.

This happened previously with another friend, and I would like to avoid it if possible. Has anyone ever used a lawyer to draw up some paperwork to avoid a situation like this?

project240
10-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Why not ask the other party for something written saying she has received compensation and will not be held liable. Also get photocopies of the DL and Insurance Policy.

Kloubek
10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
That's exactly what you need. Written confirmation and a signature they no longer have any legal interests in the accident.

finboy
10-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Appreciated guys, hoping damage is under a grand so we don't need to get the police involved, though I doubt that will happen

Traffic_Cop
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Go to your insurance company. Tell them whats happened. They will give you a form for the other party to fill out, which will indemnify you and the insurance company.

So long as no claim is made, and you (gf) never got a ticket, your rates WONT go up. Dont be afraid of talking with your insurance company.

Ps. The new amount required to inform police is $2000.00