PDA

View Full Version : CASB Appeal

Konj
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
Has anyone appealed their module evaluation and won or know anyone that won?

This is such a joke. I got my module 4 evaluations and half of the issues they claim "Not Achieved" I am for a fact 100% certain that I discussed/calculated these issues.

I was talking to my friend and he said he received "Achieved" on issues he didn't even discuss or calculate!

ringmaster
10-05-2012, 11:05 PM
I appealed mod 3 with them and it was a waste of time and money. Same deal, I specifically rebutted their comments on each point they said I missed but didn't matter.

in*10*se
10-06-2012, 02:59 AM
meh, i've marked mods 1/2/4.

1st marker marks
2nd marker marks
If there is a big discrepancy, it will go to a third marker.

Head marker will review the markers and see why there was a discrepancy and discuss with the marker who was not marking to the "standard".

For 1st and 2nd markers that are very similar and both markers agree that it is a borderline case... it goes to the head marker again....

Your comments are meaningless, your exam needs to stand on its own, if you need to explain your work, then you clearly didn't put enough detail/thought/time into what you're trying to explain after the fact.

Sorry to hear, appealing is a waste of time/money.

Konj
10-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se
meh, i've marked mods 1/2/4.

1st marker marks
2nd marker marks
If there is a big discrepancy, it will go to a third marker.

Head marker will review the markers and see why there was a discrepancy and discuss with the marker who was not marking to the "standard".

For 1st and 2nd markers that are very similar and both markers agree that it is a borderline case... it goes to the head marker again....

Your comments are meaningless, your exam needs to stand on its own, if you need to explain your work, then you clearly didn't put enough detail/thought/time into what you're trying to explain after the fact.

Sorry to hear, appealing is a waste of time/money.

I was talking to my friend and he said he received "Achieved" on issues he didn't even discuss or calculate!

Your Thoughts?

bwling
10-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I agree with in*10*se's description of the marking process. Exams that are borderline are marked several times to ensure that the assessment is fair. They really don't want to fail someone unless there are valid reasons (i.e. critical points were not addressed).

With regards to your friend's situation, perhaps he did address the issues and simply didn't recall. Given the multiple marker framework, he would not have passed if he indeed missed those issues (and assuming that those were critical issues).

flipstah
10-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Konj

Your Thoughts?

Do they provide you physical notification that their appeal was successfully completed?

Otherwise, I'd call shenanigans.

BrknFngrs
10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bwling
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I agree with in*10*se's description of the marking process. Exams that are borderline are marked several times to ensure that the assessment is fair. They really don't want to fail someone unless there are valid reasons (i.e. critical points were not addressed).

With regards to your friend's situation, perhaps he did address the issues and simply didn't recall. Given the multiple marker framework, he would not have passed if he indeed missed those issues (and assuming that those were critical issues).

Agreed. Your friend must have hit the point well enough to satisfy the marker, even if they didn't think they discussed it in significant depth.

I can only think of one time that I recall where an individual from our firm appealed and was successful.

in*10*se
10-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Your Thoughts?

friend is trying to make you feel better by trying to imply the marking process is "broken" and that you have been unfairly treated....

unfortunately reality is...
- your friend passed and probably addressed the issues but forgot
- marking process is not broken
- you were fairly treated
- your friend is nice for trying to make you feel better

Konj
10-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se

friend is trying to make you feel better by trying to imply the marking process is "broken" and that you have been unfairly treated....

unfortunately reality is...
- your friend passed and probably addressed the issues but forgot
- marking process is not broken
- you were fairly treated
- your friend is nice for trying to make you feel better

Fairly treated, I agree.

Marking process is not broken? LOL I had to laugh at this one. So your saying that markers compensation being dependent on the number of exams they mark has no impact on the quality of evaluation?

KappaSigma
10-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Fairly treated, I agree.

Marking process is not broken? LOL I had to laugh at this one. So your saying that markers compensation being dependent on the number of exams they mark has no impact on the quality of evaluation?

The marking process is fine. Chalk it up to not meeting standards and try again.

in*10*se
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM

Fairly treated, I agree.

doesn't matter, you can have both markers suck, completely incompetent, but at the end of the day, the control factor is the head marker who is competent, not paid per exam and doesn't suck who reviews everything.

If the process was so broken, casb wouldn't be boasting such a high pass rate on the UFE much less, if you think about it, 85-90% of people pass the modules... if you don't pass, you really had to try to fail, or you just didn't meet a really low, low, and i mean incredibly low standard to pass.

Originally posted by KappaSigma

The marking process is fine. Chalk it up to not meeting standards and try again.

:werd:

busdepot
10-12-2012, 10:02 AM
^^ I wouldn't say the standard is low to pass, much rather that the standards of work coming through are high. Don't worry about failing a module. It's doesn't mean you're dumb or not going to make the cut for your CA. Lots of very well respected and brilliant CA's failed modules/UFE more than once. It's easy to blame the marker, but it probably wasn't their mistake.

Did you do all the practice exams and have them marked by someone else?

The weekly tasks are not challenging, so it boils down to basically your case writing skills and how you manage your time on them. Module 4 is extremely challenging for some writers because the technical aspects of the exams are much less significant then how your response presents them. Mod 3 and Mod 4 are polar opposites, so that may have caught you off guard. Write it again in April/Sept and take the time to improve your case writing approach for the comp at the end of it. I also struggled with Mod 4 so I know where you're coming from, but once you see the different approach that's required from Mod 3 to Mod 4, you'll understand why you got CNA.

Hang in there, you'll get through it.