PDA

View Full Version : Compact SUV/Crossover

Maybelater
10-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Seriously considering a new vehicle within this year. I have a good idea of what is out there, but I know beyond will be able to provide some useful information.

This vehicle will be used for light off-road applications, rural roads, farm roads and snow on those roads are the biggest challenges it will face. Heavier off-road application would be nice, but I won't be very daring with anything worth as much as a new vehicle.

I like boxy traditional designs, much like Jeep's current line.

What do you suggest, beyond?

(Edit: $30'000 is the upper limit)

spikerS
10-06-2012, 12:27 AM
I like the Jeep 2dr wrangler, can get a nicely equipped one for mid 25s. I used to have a compass, but I never took it off road or on many back dirt roads, so I can't comment on their off road handling, but in the city they were good.

I honestly think the 2dr jeep is your best bet, as most of the other compact SUVs in that price range are more in city grocery getters than farm use kinda thing.

might be worth looking at CRVs and Rav-4s. people that have them seem to like them a lot, and I have seen a few on friends farms, but I really don't like exposed axles on anything going off pavement.

ExtraSlow
10-06-2012, 08:46 AM
the Jeep would be the best choice if the "off road" is your main concern. If it's really gravel roads and winter driving that concerns you, Rav4, CRV, Tuscon, Santa Fe, sorrento, sportage etc. are nice options.

I think the CRV would be my first choice, based on how much I like my Odyssey. I really like what Honda is doing these days over Toyota.

Sugarphreak
10-06-2012, 09:56 PM

tch7
10-07-2012, 10:50 AM
If farm roads are the worst the vehicle will see, all you really need is decent ground clearance. Of vehicles I've driven in that price range, a Kia Sorento LX V6 would probably be my top choice in that case - had one for a couple weeks in early 2011.

I had a 2011 Wrangler for a while last fall. Thing was heaps of fun in the mud and serious offroad stuff, but for everyday driving on highways, gravel roads, and around town it was total crap. The old engine was a big part of why I hated it, so with the new Pentastar it'd be much better, but it doesn't change that it's still a novelty vehicle.

I've also had a Jeep Liberty, but it felt and sounded like it was going to fall apart.

The Grand Cherokee is the only Jeep I've encountered that I'd buy, but it's well out of your price range.

ddduke
10-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Used G-wagon! Doesn't get boxier (is that a word) then that.