PDA

View Full Version : neighbour's trees' branches

whydontchathen
10-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Hi, I joined this forum to ask this question after already reading this older thread: neighbour's tree branches (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/338068/neighbours-tree-branches/)

So I approached my 60-something neighbor and asked him if he could please trim the tree branches that are hanging over his fence and casting shade in my already-sun-starved back yard, and he went ballistic. I moved here three years ago; they've been here for at least 20 years.....

He said my reason for wanting the branches cut is a "dumb stupid reason" and then he went on a rant about all the things about me that irk him. I "haven't watered my lawn this year, my toy poodle wakes him up during the day, too much stuff in my back yard," etc etc.

So now what should I do? I really do want those fn branches cut, and that's not counting the two reallllly tall trees between the houses that hang over my house and my brand new roof.....

Our houses are only 8 feet apart and I don't really want to be enemies since I don't plan on ever moving.....

TIA for any suggestions, I called the City and the police info line, the City does not have any bylaws about this, the police will come and investigate if he calls them (as he's threatened to) if I cut the branches myself.....

tch7
10-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Two options:
a) Cut the branches up to the property line and live with a neighbor that hates you.
b) Don't cut the branches and live with a neighbor that only moderately dislikes you.

You asked nicely and gave warning. No need to be any more diplomatic about it. At the end of the day, he has no say on what happens on your side of the property line. Of course, it would be neighborly if you did consider and act on some of the concerns he voiced.

rob the knob
10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
are you going to receive sun by trimming the branches that hang over it your yard? or would you require to cut branches down completely?

i would suggest to neighbour you will trim branches that hang on property line on NOVEMBER 1 and if he wish, he may trim himself otherwise you will trim. only trim to property line yourself ok.

GTS4tw
10-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by whydontchathen
Hi, I joined this forum to ask this question after already reading this older thread: neighbour's tree branches (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/338068/neighbours-tree-branches/)

So I approached my 60-something neighbor and asked him if he could please trim the tree branches that are hanging over his fence and casting shade in my already-sun-starved back yard, and he went ballistic. I moved here three years ago; they've been here for at least 20 years.....

He said my reason for wanting the branches cut is a "dumb stupid reason" and then he went on a rant about all the things about me that irk him. I "haven't watered my lawn this year, my toy poodle wakes him up during the day, too much stuff in my back yard," etc etc.

So now what should I do? I really do want those fn branches cut, and that's not counting the two reallllly tall trees between the houses that hang over my house and my brand new roof.....

Our houses are only 8 feet apart and I don't really want to be enemies since I don't plan on ever moving.....

TIA for any suggestions, I called the City and the police info line, the City does not have any bylaws about this, the police will come and investigate if he calls them (as he's threatened to) if I cut the branches myself.....

Do you really need to cut them? Certain trees need the branches pruned properly or it can shock them which would then affect his side. My lawn is growing fine this year and it is surrounded by trees and in the shade for 90% of the day, just needs proper fertilizer and water. I know this is a common problem around here and I try to keep my trees trimmed well so that me neighbors don't touch them.

Post some pics, maybe there is a middle ground you haven't thought of.

Kijho
10-06-2012, 07:52 AM
If the tree's coming closer to your house and potentially scraping roof / siding I'd chop that shit down fast.

Neighbor sound like a complete idiot though. Fuck that. :guns:

Maxx Mazda
10-06-2012, 08:05 AM
You are well within your rights to chop off what's on your side. I like the idea of giving him a week or so to prune them himself, then if he chooses not to, cut em down. I went through this exact situation with my neighbor, ended up cutting a bunch of rose bushes off that had grown through the fence.

ExtraSlow
10-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Here's a thought. Trim the branches to your property line, than all winter, when you are out shoveling your sidewalk, shovel his too. guy's 60, he could use a hand.
By Spring, you guys will be on better ground than you are now, and next time you want a favour, he'll actually talk to you instead of blowing up.

rpalm35
10-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Here's a thought. Trim the branches to your property line, than all winter, when you are out shoveling your sidewalk, shovel his too. guy's 60, he could use a hand.
By Spring, you guys will be on better ground than you are now, and next time you want a favour, he'll actually talk to you instead of blowing up.
Best piece of advice I've heard in a real long time. :thumbsup:

JustinMCS
10-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Cut them, he's probably moving into a home soon anyways.

JRSC00LUDE
10-06-2012, 12:27 PM
You are able to trim things hanging into your yard or onto your roof but decide if you really NEED to first. Then, if you do, consult someone to make sure you trim properly so as not to damage the tree as a whole.

Then listen to extraslow and be a nice neighbour. If he has some legitimate concerns with you, show that you're making an effort. You have to have your own house in order before you go after his.

kvg
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm with extraslow too :thumbsup:

whydontchathen
10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
hey thanks to all of you for the feedback and suggestions. I'm just going to have to wait and see how this plays out I guess.... getting my own house in order would help I know,

JudasJimmy
10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly. There some branches on a tree that are hanging over a 6 foot fence and starving your grass of much needed sunlight? I'm with 60 yr old. get a grip. It’s much better to get along with your neighbor than not.

revelations
10-06-2012, 02:43 PM

:werd:

Weapon_R
10-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Any pictures of this? I can't see how trimming a few branches is going to fix your lawn problems.

If a branch overhangs, you may trim them up to the property line but if your trimming causes the tree to die, you will be responsible for replacing it so I'd be careful or hire someone if you don't know what you're doing.

Tik-Tok
10-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Warning: May not for for everyone.

My neighbor is a real fucking asshole. Every winter I shovel his walk every other snowfall, because his property is between mine and my inlaws, and I do theirs too. Hell I do 75% of the cul-de-sac if I have the time.

He still hates my guts because my 50 year old spruce "leaves needles on his lawn". He even went so far as to call me an asshole over it, even as I was building us a brand new cedar fence, without asking him a dime for it.

shakalaka
10-07-2012, 09:31 AM
^You better not shovel his snow anymore!

theken
10-07-2012, 11:12 AM
You don't water your lawn yet care if it gets sun? Who gives a fuck, your grass is probably shit anyways

AndyL
10-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

He still hates my guts because my 50 year old spruce "leaves needles on his lawn". He even went so far as to call me an asshole over it, even as I was building us a brand new cedar fence, without asking him a dime for it.

My advice, have a discussion with him, tell him your thinking of replacing it with a mature poplar :rofl: maybe he won't mind the needles when offered an uglier alternative :rofl:

Z_Fan
10-07-2012, 11:36 AM
At my old house I had a similar situation with a tree. Basically I just cut anything and everything that came over the fence or through the fence. No questions asked.

So, from that experience, I can tell you that it is really fucking hard to kill a tree. I cut that tree every year. It wasn't because I hated it, or because I wanted sun, etc. It was simply the thing drooped in to my yard and I couldn't walk down the side of my house without hitting that shit. So if it obstructed my walk, I hacked it off. No mercy.

I'd say if it is actually in your way of moving around in your yard, chop it and don't even bother asking or telling him. It's in your yard, nuke it.

If it's just blocking a wee bit of sun. Well, I'm not sure it matters a whole bunch. There is a difference IMO between the tree literally getting in your way or if its presence causes you a lack of enjoyment of an area of your yard. If it does that, trim it to the property line and stop worrying about being nice to your neighbour. A lot of neighbours refuse to see the other point of view and don't care or bother to take the time to understand it.

See Tik-Tok's snow situation.

Tik-Tok I shovel the snow on my driveway, sidewalk and I will also do my neighbours driveway and sidewalk. (both neighbours) Every once in a while I wake up on a cold winter morning to find my driveway & sidewalk are clear. It's nice every once in a while for that to magically happen. I'd say send a message to your miserable cock-sucker neighbour and skip his driveway this year.

aaronzaski
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Call an arborist in and get his opinion. If it is safe to hack away, get it in writing and then do it. Sounds like he doesn't care for you anyways, so why try and win over a dying dog?

whydontchathen
10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JudasJimmy
Let me see if I understand this correctly. There some branches on a tree that are hanging over a 6 foot fence and starving your grass of much needed sunlight? I'm with 60 yr old. get a grip. It’s much better to get along with your neighbor than not.

Originally posted by theken
You don't water your lawn yet care if it gets sun? Who gives a fuck, your grass is probably shit anyways

Way to jump to conclusions, boys. Did I say I wanted the sun for my grass? Did I say that the branches hanging over the back yard are causing the grass in the front yard to dry out?

I want the sun for me, not the grass! I despair over the tiny amount of sun I get on my property. I sit in my very public front yard instead of my nicer private back yard for lack of sun..... All I want to do is have a nice warm sunny spot to sit in......

Unknown303
10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Sneak out in the middle of the night and salt the earth around the tree.................................... :angel:

speedog
10-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Sneak out in the middle of the night and salt the earth around the tree.................................... :angel:
And then get caught by suspecting neighbor and get an ass full of salt from old neighbor's shotgun.

Unknown303
10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by speedog

And then get caught by suspecting neighbor and get an ass full of salt from old neighbor's shotgun.

If it's right next to his fence he could just pour it through the fence dissolved in water.

Sugarphreak
10-07-2012, 04:56 PM

aaronzaski
10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Seems like a real like of people skills is the issue here:

You reach out to your neighbor with a problem caused by him, he in turn reaches out with his problems caused by you... you both get pissed off and call each other douches.... good job slick.

Instead of having a tiff about it, maybe take 10 seconds to consider his concerns... maybe you ought to water your lawn more often, maybe your back yard is cluttered, maybe look at ways to better control your dogs barking.

So instead of storming off, what you say to the guy is: "I am sorry about these things, if I promise to try and deal with these problems, will you consider trimming the tree back?"

Sure, water the lawn more next year, de-clutter the property, and muzzle the dog, but don't approach it like the guy above. Your neighbour is going to pick apart whoever you call in to look at the tree, you will get nowhere, and most likely he is going to say 'let's look at it next year', meanwhile you are shoveling his walk like a chump. Educate yourself about bylaws and laws and do things yourself. As someone who has suffered living next door to these 60+ types, you will never please them and they will always have something to whine about. Stick up for yourself and don't let them or anyone push you around.

sabad66
10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Post pictures

88jbody
10-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by aaronzaski

Sure, water the lawn more next year, de-clutter the property, and muzzle the dog, but don't approach it like the guy above. Your neighbour is going to pick apart whoever you call in to look at the tree, you will get nowhere, and most likely he is going to say 'let's look at it next year', meanwhile you are shoveling his walk like a chump. Educate yourself about bylaws and laws and do things yourself. As someone who has suffered living next door to these 60+ types, you will never please them and they will always have something to whine about. Stick up for yourself and don't let them or anyone push you around.

so true, I rented from someone like that for 5 years, never late on rent, took very good care of the place. but the day be fore garbage day my wife usually put the garbage ont he step so I would take it out when I got home from work a couple housr later and not forget to put it out, He had a bitchfest about making it look like the ghetto for 2 garbage bags there 2-3 hours, complained becasue I hadn't mowed the lawn in 9 days, when he clearly told me to every 7, sorry I went out of town and it was rained for a couple days after I got back. didn't like the swidewalk chalk my kids drew on the driveway with, they drew hop scotch and smiley faces. he came in one day to sevice the furnace, there was 2 loads of laundry on the floor by the washer...again another bitchfest. some people you will never please. ever. this guy also even wrote in the lease how often he wanted us to sweep, vacumm, do the dishes and all that stuff.

whydontchathen
10-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Well since this thread's not dying a natural death I guess I'll add to it here.

I called City of Calgary once a long time ago and again two days ago after the fireworks, and much to my disptmnt there's NOTHING in Calgary Bylaws addressing the issues of neighbours' trees, tree branches, etc etc. "It's a civil matter." That's all they'll say about it.

So then I called the police info line to find out what they would do if he calls them if I cut any of his tree branches. And they said "police attend criminal matters, that's a civil matter. But the trees ARE his property, so if he calls us because you've damaged his property, we will attend." And then we shall see what we shall see.....

Big help that was....

Secondly, I'm not going to butter up this neighb in any way shape or form, I've been trying to establish a friendly rapport with the two of them for going on three years now, and they've been the opposite of friendly. And now with his hot-headed reaction to my request about the branches, a couple of dozen mostly small ones and a few larger ones.... branches that he can't even see from his yard....

well I could go on but don't want to bore evryone with this shtty neighb bs. I've had a few sets of great neighbs in the past, I hate to think I've reached my quota for this lifetime. :(

whydontchathen
10-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody

so true, I rented from someone like that for 5 years, never late on rent, took very good care of the place. but the day be fore garbage day my wife usually put the garbage ont he step so I would take it out when I got home from work a couple housr later and not forget to put it out, He had a bitchfest about making it look like the ghetto for 2 garbage bags there 2-3 hours, complained becasue I hadn't mowed the lawn in 9 days, when he clearly told me to every 7, sorry I went out of town and it was rained for a couple days after I got back. didn't like the swidewalk chalk my kids drew on the driveway with, they drew hop scotch and smiley faces. he came in one day to sevice the furnace, there was 2 loads of laundry on the floor by the washer...again another bitchfest. some people you will never please. ever. this guy also even wrote in the lease how often he wanted us to sweep, vacumm, do the dishes and all that stuff.

hahaha! that's aw-ful!!! how could you last 5 years?? Laundry in your own laundry room - how dare you!!! Thanks for the hilarity 88. how is it that such ppl live in this world??:confused:

Mixalot27
10-08-2012, 12:45 AM

I called City of Calgary once a long time ago and again two days ago after the fireworks, and much to my disptmnt there's NOTHING in Calgary Bylaws addressing the issues of neighbours' trees, tree branches, etc etc. "It's a civil matter." That's all they'll say about it.

So then I called the police info line to find out what they would do if he calls them if I cut any of his tree branches. And they said "police attend criminal matters, that's a civil matter. But the trees ARE his property, so if he calls us because you've damaged his property, we will attend." And then we shall see what we shall see.....

Big help that was....

:(

I don't know. To me that actually sounds pretty good. Its a civil matter basically meaning they won't do anything about it. The last part from the police sounds like in the case of if you have the entire tree cut down or do some extreme damage. Otherwise its a "civil matter" and neighbor can try and sue you if he wants. Which is unlikely due to expense, hassle, and the fact he would likely lose.

Tik-Tok
10-08-2012, 12:52 AM
When I was dealing with my neighbor cutting my branches, I found a provincial law allowing it, it wasn't a city bylaw.

You can cut any branches overhanging your property, but can't go on his property to dot it. Also if it damages his tree, he can sue.

edit: WTF autocorrect? "Allow wing iron?" :facepalm:

Sugarphreak
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM

sevewone
10-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Or do what my parents did..Cut the branches off then throw them into your neighbors yard :) . Hopefully they aren't psychos and say you almost hit them with the Branches as well in there 1 acre yard :rofl:

whydontchathen
10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

You've missed the point I was trying to put across, it has nothing to do with buttering up and everything to do with using leverage to get what you want.

Let me change the wording from "friendly" to "frank"

Friendly: I am sorry about these things, if I promise to try and deal with these problems, will you consider trimming the tree back?

Meaning: Unless you want my dog to bark even more, my lawn to get even browner or have me turn my back yard into a junk pile, you better cooperate on this one tiny insignificant issue.

And if he gets belligerent about it, start a pile of junk in your backyard and go back a week later with an offer to clean it up if he trims his trees.

Maybe the guy is bitching without cause, so let him bitch and pretend you are going to make a better effort... that is probably all he wants anyway. If there is nothing you can do legally about the tree in the end, the only path you have is to get him to cooperate.

Hey SF, sorry I missed the subtlety of your suggestion. Well to tell truth I'm lousy at negotiation, but thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm better off just avoiding him and her, biding my time..... looking for the Provincial law that covers this....

speedog
10-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Way to jump to conclusions, boys. Did I say I wanted the sun for my grass? Did I say that the branches hanging over the back yard are causing the grass in the front yard to dry out?

I want the sun for me, not the grass! I despair over the tiny amount of sun I get on my property. I sit in my very public front yard instead of my nicer private back yard for lack of sun..... All I want to do is have a nice warm sunny spot to sit in......
So the real crux of the problem is that you bought your place some 3 years ago knowing very well that there were some issues. Those trees that are at least 20 years old are just going to continue to grow and block more sunlight from your yard and even if you trim back the branches you can reach, there's nothing stopping your neighbor from planting a few large lilacs (that grow like weeds) further in on his property to fill in the lower gaps or tower poplars to create even a bigger sunlight blocking screen.

So I guess the real solution is to maybe start looking for a place that has a yard where you can enjoy the sun both now and in the future as it just doesn't sound like there's going to be a good solution popping up any time soon with respect to your current situation.

7thgenvic
10-08-2012, 01:21 PM
This thread is USELESS without pictures!!!!!!!!

CapnCrunch
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by theken

:rofl: