PDA

View Full Version : 4 day vacation

OU812
10-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Just like the title states looking for suggestions on a good 4 day mini getaway.

Probably February/March time and only 4 days.

Prefer not to Las Vegas. Self drive is fine but in 4 days there is not much that would be worthwhile.

Also prefer not to break the bank. So keeping around $2000 for air and hotel.

Lets see what you can suggest.

TIA

buh_buh
10-07-2012, 02:00 PM
NYC

jdmakkord
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Chicago, San Diego, Miami, NYC

Grogador
10-07-2012, 03:03 PM
What kind of activities interest you? Use Google Flights/Kayak to shortlist a few destinations then hit www.pollstar.com for music/sports/whatever events if that's your thing, or just research local attractions. Hotwire/Priceline a hotel room kinda in the middle of what you wanna do.

I hear NYC is really nice in the fall and four days is plenty to hit the big stuff but probably beyond your budget. Fly into LGA or even JFK instead of EWR.

+1 Chicago (weather dependent)
+1 Cali!

natty54
10-07-2012, 03:18 PM
If it was me I would be looking south

http://www.yycdeals.com/all-inclusive-vacations-from-Calgary/ultimate-all-inclusive-deal-finder/

check out the above link

You can get a real nice all-inclusive all in for $900/PP or even less

Yes usually it's more than 4 days but I am sure in 4/5 months you can make your time allow for 6 days.

If not you can fly really anywhere in the USA and keep to your budget

D'z Nutz
10-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Phoenix might be a nice cheap getaway, especially if you're into golf. You can score round trip tickets for about $350 tax in. Weather is about 25C-30C during this time.

Anton
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
+1 for NYC. I'm going there this month - stoked!

Originally posted by jdmakkord
Chicago, San Diego, Miami, NYC

There are no directs to Miami (unless there are some now) so it's not a very good 4 day trip. Just travel time to there is around 8-10 hours.

msommers
10-08-2012, 09:40 AM
You guys that are going or have been to NYC, what is the attraction to it? Highlights, duration etc?

Cos
10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

taemo
10-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by msommers
You guys that are going or have been to NYC, what is the attraction to it? Highlights, duration etc?

for me it would be the B&H store, street and fashion photography.
I just love walking around Manhattan, Central Park, taking the sub and eating street food. tons of museums, history and sights to see.
There's Grimaldi's pizza as well which is one of the best pizza I ever had.

but I wouldn't recommend feb/march to go there due to the unpredictable weather.

4 days and under $2k, I would definitely go Cali for some sun.

Anton
10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I just love that city. Great food everywhere, shopping, sight seeing. Can walk out onto a street and head in any direction and find something interesting. Lots of events going on pretty much every day.

This time will be nice since I've done all the touristy things there before so this time I plan on just walking around and exploring more of Manhattan. Only thing I know I'm doing is hitting up a Broadway show.

jdmakkord
10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I should mention WJ has daily flights to Chicago direct out of calgary. It's a newer route so rates should be pretty decent on air.

GS430
10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm going to also say NYC, but I'll throw in Montreal too.

Montreal in the winter is a beauty from what i've heard, haven't had a chance to go myself.

Enjoy!

Kavy
10-09-2012, 03:14 PM
I would find it completely impossible for most people to fly to NYC and stay for 4 days and consider it a trip that doesn't break the bank.

To me that is more like a 6 grand trip. Everything is expensive from hotels to cabs to dining.

I did the NYC at Christmas thing and to be honest it was great, it did however cost me and the wife well over 10k for a 7 day trip.

The suggestions for Cali are good, San Fran is rather cheap in my experience and has great sights and attractions as well as some amazing wineries.
San Diego has seaworld, legoland (ya imma be honest, the lego place was awesome) and one of the best zoo's in the USA, the sky ride at the zoo is something else.

flipstah
10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
4 day vacations shouldn't have >2-3 hour flights one-way. So anything beyond Saskatchewan eastwards is too far.

max_boost
10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
I would find it completely impossible for most people to fly to NYC and stay for 4 days and consider it a trip that doesn't break the bank.

To me that is more like a 6 grand trip. Everything is expensive from hotels to cabs to dining.

I did the NYC at Christmas thing and to be honest it was great, it did however cost me and the wife well over 10k for a 7 day trip.

The suggestions for Cali are good, San Fran is rather cheap in my experience and has great sights and attractions as well as some amazing wineries.
San Diego has seaworld, legoland (ya imma be honest, the lego place was awesome) and one of the best zoo's in the USA, the sky ride at the zoo is something else.

:werd:

NYC is great but better open your wallet, son.

bleu
10-09-2012, 08:48 PM
I was in NYC over the summer for 6 days and my bf and I did it for under 5k including my shopping purchases. We visited all the popular landmarks, museums and did a decent amount of shopping. We aren't at all into expensive dining and did a lot of walking/subway.

We both had a great time and will probably head back either during the winter break or next summer.

Anton
10-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

I agree but he did say $2,000 for airfare and hotels. I got my flights for $530 and they were $460 at one point (direct Calgary to Newark). So that leaves roughly $1,500 for hotel for 4 nights. You can definitely find a good hotel for that.

Team_Mclaren
10-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
4 day vacations shouldn't have >2-3 hour flights one-way. So anything beyond Saskatchewan eastwards is too far.

Your 4 day vacation is extremely boring.... Why would you even consider that a vacation....:facepalm:

Feruk
10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
New Orleans. Look at when Mardi gras is on.