PDA

View Full Version : How a cheap part cost me $$$ long story

Mazstyle
10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
This is a series of unfortunate events, I'm still shaking my head in disbelief at how this all happened;

I was going on a long road trip in the summer, I'm a pretty proactive person when it comes to mechanical stuff.

I had pulled my codes with my mac tools et50 code reader on the 2003 saturn vue. (it did not have a check engine light on, i just wanted to check stored codes) It had a bunch of strange codes, a few were undefined, crank position sensor, etc.

I did some reading and it looked like the igniter could throw a CAS code as well as some other random ones when it's on it's way out, the vehicle ran great but I figured I better get a spare one for the trip. ( i've had igniter issues before they are not fun)

Item was $130 at autovalue, or $60 shipped on ebay from a parts retailer.

So I order one up, it arrives....might as well test it out in case I gotta return it.

Installed it, cranked engine...it would not start and the igniter was super hot. Awesome.

Pulled the igniter, reinstall old one. Now the engine is sputtering and misfiring, looks like ebay igniter damaged my coilpacks, wonderful.

At the time it was my only running vehicle, so I limped the ol' girl to picknpull. It sputtered and missed, went into derate mode a few times but i made it. I found a coilpack/igniter set from another 2.2 ecotec, they only charged me $30. Installed it in the parking lot, runs like new.

Now I have a check engine light that won't go away. I get it checked out at 2 different autovalues, because clearly my mac tools et50 is a piece of shit. First scan shows a few codes, p0420 (cat) and a couple others, we clear the codes. CEL is back on I go to another autovalue and they show no codes with there reader yet I have a CEL.

Fed up I take it to the dealer and just get them to scan the codes. Cost me $80 to find out I need a Catalytic converter, which was damaged by the misfire (also had a gas cap and thermostat code).

Ok so I drive it for a couple weeks, looking at my options. I buy a cat from Auto value, and take it to minute muffler on 32nd. Good guys there did it for cheap (thank you).

Cat is installed, and I'm driving it to work and notice the heat isnt where it should be, and the temp gauge is fluctuating - probably needs a thermostat. I rip it out, yep the inner rubber seal is ripped ( I just installed it not even a year earlier) good old motorad thermostats.

This is where it gets painful, on these engines the thermostat is under the rear exhaust manifold, so you have to lay under it while coolant leaks down your arms, onto your face and in your mouth. (oddly my drain port on my water pump isn't drilled, it's a cast nipple with no actual hole)

Also notice my exhaust manifold is cracked, looks fairly fresh...

So i change the thermostat, but I've got weird cooling issues, my overflow keeps purging, temp gauge is all over the map, the system is burping and gurgling.

Since the thermostat is such a fun job, I figure hey lets take it apart again and make sure it went in right. I take it apart it looks ok, reinstall it.

Same issue, ok its gotta be a bad thermostat, I swap in a different one. Same problem, I made sure to bleed the air everything checks out. It's like the coolant system is overpressurizing....wait....what can cause that?

HEADGASKET!

And what can cause a head gasket failure? head warpage from excessive heat in the exhaust manifold from a bad catalytic converter, caused by a severe misfire, caused by a cheap igniter.

Kloubek
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Wow... brutal.

Can a misfire really destroy a cat that quickly?

My_name_is_Rob
10-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Its odd how it ruined all of that, just from cranking it over. What generic eBay brand was it?

rage2
10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Wow... brutal.

Yup. Unburnt fuel will destroy a cat very fast.

schocker
10-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Sucks man, long string annoying events :nut:
Last parts I bought were from rock auto, didn't want to go the ebay route.

Mazstyle
10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Wow... brutal.

Yea, I didn't know that could happen that quickly either. I guess the unburnt fuel can ignite in the cat as well causing a meltdown of the catalyst.

Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob
Its odd how it ruined all of that, just from cranking it over. What generic eBay brand was it?

Well, really my driving it with the misfire is what got the domino's falling.

The ebay name is Global automotive I believe.

Originally posted by schocker
Sucks man, long string annoying events :nut:
Last parts I bought were from rock auto, didn't want to go the ebay route.

I just discovered rock auto last week after a coworker told me about it, looks like a good company with great prices.

Ven
10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
When I used to spin wrenches for a living I learnt quickly that a new part isn't always a good part. I've seen a ton of quality first line and discount line parts be totally hooped right out of the box. I feel your pain man, but you never should have driven the car with it running like that, did it never occur to you it could be damaged?

AndyL
10-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Maybe I'm nuckin futz, but maybe the order is a bit reversed? You had CEL so you made a guess... what's the chances you've got the failures a little bit out of order? :dunno: just a theory...

Some eBay parts are junk, there is no doubt... but I've got a bunch of chassis and drivetain parts that lasted better than OEM - from eBay...

Rat Fink
10-08-2012, 10:03 PM

Penguin_Racecar
10-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Mazstyle

I just discovered rock auto last week after a coworker told me about it, looks like a good company with great prices.

Seconding rockauto. Never had any problems with them up until my last order - housing on heater blower was cracked. Haven't followed up with them yet on it to see how they handle defective parts. Besides that they've been great - ordered 4 times from them so far I think.

sillysod
10-09-2012, 08:26 PM
^^ I buy most parts from RockAuto. They are great.

Warranty is no problem, even returns are accepted. Only catch is you have to pay shipping back.

95teetee
10-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Also, you mention its odd your vehicle doesn't have a drain port on your water pump. Are you talking about the weep hole to indicate a failed seal or are you talking about how you can't drain the block from the water pump?? (because I have never seen a drain on ANY water pump)
I was curious about this part myself...

corsvette
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I have a good one for you. A miserly family member of mine hated paying $50+ for motorcraft oil filters for his two 6.0 Diesel trucks. He finds these off name filters from ebay, shipped it was $120 for TEN filters, a healthy $320 savings. The first oil change went without a hitch on both units. the second oil change went terrribly wrong. Coming home pulling a 32ft horse trailer in Oregon one of those quality filters came apart, plugged the oil cooler which cooked the oil, and overheated the engine. His only warning was a awful smell and then a plume of smoke.

Cost breakdown.

Towing for the truck $375
Hire a truck to tow the horse trailer (with 2 equine on board) $500
Boarding for 2 horses for 6 days $600
Hotel for 5 nights $500
New 6.0L drop in engine (complete with turbo, injectors, hpop etc) + Labour $15,800
Not to mention 6 days lost time and others keeping his farm/ranch operation going at home.

TOTAL COST $17.775

I researched that brand of filters after that happened and it was a common occurance. A small $320 saving cost him huge, I still chuckle to this day thinking of this (just cause this uncle is so fricking cheap)

HO2S
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
On the 2.2l ecotec you always replace the coils and the igniter together. The coils start to short and wipe out the ignitor not the other way around. Once you moved the coils ide say they packed it in and wiped the possibly good made in china igniter. Once the coils start to fail they set a whole bunch of weird codes due to the compression sensing ignition system. You can buy the whole thing from the dealer or any parts supplier, its called a ignition casset.
The vue has gm's shitty mid 90's to mid 2000's coolant reservoir that it very pron to air pockets. Its been a very long time since Ive seen a ecotec wipe out a head gasket, you must have baked the shit out of the engine.
Keep in mind when the cat plugs the volumetric efficiency drops. That means less air is ingested less exhaust comes out and the less power that is made, less heat is created by this. Ide say you wiped out the head gasket from a air pocket.
A cheap part didn't really cost you a lot of money, a improper repair and driving with the cel flashing costed you a lot of money.