PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Damage - Insurance Question

kaddy
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
So I was leaving my work parkade a few weeks ago and a moving truck that was parked in the alley had a pallet jack fly off the back of it and smash my passenger rear door.

I got the employee's information, company, etc.

I contacted the company and they told me to get 3 quotes for the damage. Fair enough, got the 3 quotes, but told them I really only wanted to deal with this one shop if possible.

So I emailed the quotes off, and they don't want to use the shop I want to use. It's $90 more, the damage is $1100-$1200, which is very minor.

This is such a hassle for this minor damage and I can't even take it to where I want.

Do I have any other options, should I contact me insurance company, I'm at zero fault for this.

dirtsniffer
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
from my understanding, as long as all the quotes are similiar and reasonable you can take it anywhere you want.

Masked Bandit
10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Do you have full coverage on your car? If so you can tell these guys that you pick the shop OR you're going through insurance. They won't want to do that because they don't want a stupid $1200 claim on their record (which is why they're paying for it out of pocket). THEY are the ones that need help from you here, not the other way around. I would stick to your guns on the shop you want to use.

dirtsniffer
10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
:clap: OP, listen to this man.

Kramerica
10-09-2012, 11:25 AM
+1 to Masked Bandit, you are 100% doing them a favor by bypassing insurance. Even if your vehicle gets written off you're helping them avoid a claim on their record.

kaddy
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Do you have full coverage on your car? If so you can tell these guys that you pick the shop OR you're going through insurance. They won't want to do that because they don't want a stupid $1200 claim on their record (which is why they're paying for it out of pocket). THEY are the ones that need help from you here, not the other way around. I would stick to your guns on the shop you want to use.

Thanks!

Yes I have full coverage. Emailing them back now, telling them I'll file claim with my insurance company + police report if they can't make it work at the shop I want.

dirtsniffer
10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
You don't need a police report unless the damage is > $2000

BigDannyCool
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

you should always do a police report

ee2k
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
... and always go straight to your insurance company if you are not at fault and have all the pertinent information. In my view you have spent too much precious time going around getting quotes, possibly during work hour. We pay insurance for this leg work, let them sort it out.

guessboi
10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Note at the same time, if OP goes through insurance...the repair cost will be on OP's vehicle record - might affect resale...all things considered...

Hopefully they will agree to pay $90.00 more.

Kramerica
10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Also OP wants a specific repair shop, insurance will quote based on whoever they deal with.

kaddy
10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Emailed them back and they said use the shop I want and advise them of the final charges.

I didn't want to contact my insurance company if I don't have to.

Hopefully they don't try and screw me. They're a fairly large company, so it shouldn't be a problem.

DEATH2000
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
No, You NEED a police report to get ANY damage fixed. The idea of "less then $2,00 damage" is for the accident itself. If their is less then $2,000 damage the police dont need to respond. I remember when it was $1,000 but i guess they still felt they responded to to many minor accidents and uped it.

blackpeople
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

No, You NEED a police report to get ANY damage fixed. The idea of "less then $2,00 damage" is for the accident itself. If their is less then $2,000 damage the police dont need to respond. I remember when it was $1,000 but i guess they still felt they responded to to many minor accidents and uped it.

False!! You only need a police sticker to get your vehicle repaired for damages over $2000. Some Police stations wont even give you a police sticker if they think its under $2000

Cos
10-09-2012, 06:42 PM

K3RMiTdot
10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Cos
So just a question. Since you drove into a parked car how is this their fault? Im glad you got them to pay for it though. Good job.

parked in the alley had a pallet jack fly off the back of it

Cos
10-09-2012, 07:15 PM

Mar
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by kaddy
I didn't want to contact my insurance company if I don't have to.
Please tell me why, this is what insurance companies are for. That's like saying, "I don't know how I'm going to get myself a beer. I have legs but I don't want to use them."

speedog
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ee2k
... and always go straight to your insurance company if you are not at fault and have all the pertinent information. In my view you have spent too much precious time going around getting quotes, possibly during work hour. We pay insurance for this leg work, let them sort it out. This. Just because you have your insurance company deal with your side of this accident doesn't mean that the other party has to involve their insurance company - they can deal directly with your insurance company. Hell, the last time I checked I was no expert on automotive body repairs/getting quotes and because my time is somewhat valuable, I would let my insurance company do the legwork for me - that's why you're paying those premiums.

Another though, who is going to pay the body shop where you're getting the work done - often a body shop won't release a vehicle until they see their money. Would be pretty shitty if the other involved party here screwed you around at that point in time and you had to fork out the dough to get your car back and then have to continue the fight.

Mar
10-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by speedog
This. Just because you have your insurance company deal with your side of this accident doesn't mean that the other party has to involve their insurance company - they can deal directly with your insurance company. Hell, the last time I checked I was no expert on automotive body repairs/getting quotes and because my time is somewhat valuable, I would let my insurance company do the legwork for me - that's why you're paying those premiums.

Another though, who is going to pay the body shop where you're getting the work done - often a body shop won't release a vehicle until they see their money. Would be pretty shitty if the other involved party here screwed you around at that point in time and you had to fork out the dough to get your car back and then have to continue the fight.

This. I did this before, if the guy wants to pay in cash, then let your insurance company work that out with him, you have better shit to do than be doing someone else's job for them. While still paying them to do the job you're doing for them. I had a guy rear end me so I called my insurance company to deal with him. A couple of days later my insurance company called me to see if I was okay with the guy paying out of pocket instead of going through his insurance company and I said it was fine. They took care of the rest including booking me into the shop I wanted to go to and taking care of the rental car while it was there.

Why are you doing someone else's job for them? You have 24 hours to claim damage to your vehicle, ANY TIME anyone causes damage to your vehicle, your insurance company should be your first call to get it fixed. Always.

guessboi
10-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Like I said if you go through insurance for the minor stuff...the repair cost will be on OP's vehicle record aka. Car Proof - might affect resale. (assuming is the 07 TSX)

Xtrema
10-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah but it IS a lot of leg work to save someone else's ass.

I did it once, it not worth my time. This include quoting, trying case the person down and pay the damn thing.

Any damage isn't my fault? Deal with my insurance company. I will never go outside of it ever again.

DEATH2000
10-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by blackpeople

False!! You only need a police sticker to get your vehicle repaired for damages over $2000. Some Police stations wont even give you a police sticker if they think its under $2000
Nope. Talk to the CPS Traffic Section (403) 567-4000.

My wife got rear ended and the damage estimate was about $1,500. We were told that in order to get it fixed through insurance we would be required to file a police report first.

I will have to check, but i believe that if you are in a motor vehicle accident you are required by law to report it. Or so ive been told by a friend in CPS.

aaronzaski
10-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Yeah but it IS a lot of leg work to save someone else's ass.

I did it once, it not worth my time. This include quoting, trying case the person down and pay the damn thing.

Any damage isn't my fault? Deal with my insurance company. I will never go outside of it ever again.

when it come to accident, no one is your friend. the other side, police will all try and twist the truth. they made the mistake and must deal with consequences. beside why do a big company a favor like that.

FraserB
10-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Nope. Talk to the CPS Traffic Section (403) 567-4000.

My wife got rear ended and the damage estimate was about $1,500. We were told that in order to get it fixed through insurance we would be required to file a police report first.

I will have to check, but i believe that if you are in a motor vehicle accident you are required by law to report it. Or so ive been told by a friend in CPS.

A report IS require if the damage is over $2000, someone has been injured, one or more of the vehicles is not drivable or one of the parties involved can't provide the required documentation. Not for EVERY accident.

Body shops can work on vehicles with less that $2000 damage without a collision sticker or a police report. You just ran into someone at a bodyshop that has no clue.

DEATH2000
10-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Body shops can work on vehicles with less that $2000 damage without a collision sticker or a police report. You just ran into someone at a bodyshop that has no clue.
Not body shop, CPS Traffic Unit.

gqboy322
10-12-2012, 10:16 PM
FraserB is right. you dont need police sticker unless the damage is over $2000.