PDA

View Full Version : Professional resume writers

The_1
10-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey Guys,
Anyone ever use a professional resume writers service?
My resume is crap...just thought it would be good to have a good resume on file
Let me know if you know any that is pretty well priced

Thanks

Super_Geo
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
What industry are you in (or looking to get into)?

Ask people in the industry to help you. They will have a way better idea what people are actually looking for.

For example, when I was in eng and tried putting together a resume for a finance gig I had a couple of engineer friends look over my resume and they said it looked fine overall and recommended some small changes here and there. Then I had some people in finance look it over and they completely restructured it and made it only half as long.

Resumes will need to look different depending on the job you're looking to get into... people in the industry will have a better idea than a generic resume writer.

bignerd
10-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Do you go to school anywhere? I went to a presentation at SAIT about writing resumes and it was very helpful.

Talked about using key words to get past the computer filters and what not, but yes people in your industry can help too.

I still have the SAIT presentation and could email it to you if you want, it was just a power point and is tailored to my program but has some tips in that I found useful and I have several resumes.

The_1
10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
trying to get into accounting/finace departments
i guess my resume is very simple
sometimes i can't word it out the way i want

I went to sait and I've taken the business communication course
I know how to write a resume... I just don't think it's at the level that it could be

Thanks for the help!

Graham_A_M
10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I used Wordscapes many long years ago, and I'd very highly recommend going elsewhere. He charged quite a bit for basically a personalized version of a resume he or anybody else could have downloaded off the internet for free. Whats worse, he used a very specific word writting program that few other people used, so I couldn't update the resume at all without going back to him. A very poor waste of $280 or whatever I paid.

After that whole ordeal, I learned to go find some very good websites of how to write an industry specific resume. There are some key words and things you should know about, as well as specific formatting & presentation that employers looks for.
After you've seen enough templates and examples, its really not hard to write up your own resume' thats on par with anything these "experts" can write up for you, only you can do it for free on your own computer. :dunno:
Over the last 10 years, I've written my own resume's that have always earned me at least an interview. Like I say, it didn't cost me a cent since. Also, I've learned to keep both the cover letter & resume down to one page each, as any more can be construed as rambling on. I just keep the most relevant important things on there that their looking for. I dont need (nor you) to list ALL the things you've done jobwise, just the ones that showcase your abilities and talents, that are relevant to the position you're applying for.

Much the same thing with a cover letter as well. Find out *everything* that the company/position is looking for, and sell yourself as to what you've learned in similar roles, and how they can benefit from hiring you in it. I always call the company a day or two after submitting it if they haven't called, and ask when would be a good time to stop by to discuss things further.

The_1
10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I used Wordscapes many long years ago, and I'd very highly recommend going elsewhere. He charged quite a bit for basically a personalized version of a resume he or anybody else could have downloaded off the internet for free. Whats worse, he used a very specific word writting program that few other people used, so I couldn't update the resume at all without going back to him. A very poor waste of $280 or whatever I paid.

After that whole ordeal, I learned to go find some very good websites of how to write an industry specific resume. There are some key words and things you should know about, as well as specific formatting & presentation that employers looks for.
After you've seen enough templates and examples, its really not hard to write up your own resume' thats on par with anything these "experts" can write up for you, only you can do it for free on your own computer. :dunno:
Over the last 10 years, I've written my own resume's that have always earned me at least an interview. Like I say, it didn't cost me a cent since. Also, I've learned to keep both the cover letter & resume down to one page each, as any more can be construed as rambling on. I just keep the most relevant important things on there that their looking for. I dont need (nor you) to list ALL the things you've done jobwise, just the ones that showcase your abilities and talents, that are relevant to the position you're applying for.

Much the same thing with a cover letter as well. Find out *everything* that the company/position is looking for, and sell yourself as to what you've learned in similar roles, and how they can benefit from hiring you in it. I always call the company a day or two after submitting it if they haven't called, and ask when would be a good time to stop by to discuss things further.

Thanks!!
wordscapes was one of the places that I was looking at
i know someone that paid $100 for a resume and cover letter a long time ago

craigcd
10-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by The_1

Thanks!!
wordscapes was one of the places that I was looking at
i know someone that paid $100 for a resume and cover letter a long time ago

Plus 1 for wordscapes sucking.

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Holy...$100?

I will fix your resume and make you sound like a rockstar for that price LOL.

Do people really pay people to do this crap? I thought it was just common sense?

Sugarphreak
10-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Common sense isn't so common anymore, we should start calling it uncommon sense.

.... that is totally going onto my next resume

Haha nice.

Thinking about it, most of my friends resumes I have fixed up we're terrible when I got them. The worst is my asian friends when i have made changes to resumes or school essays to fix their 4th grade grammar and sentence structure then they don't agree and change it back.

Serious to the OP though...$100 is a scam. Talk to a smart buddy and get them to go over it with you. Resume writing isn't hard but you cannot write like you are trying to tell your buddy why you do at work.

"i helped customers with questions" turns into "assisted clients with all questions or concerns to strengthen business/client relationships" or some mumbo gumbo garbage. (I would have made that alot better but am about 5 beers deep waiting for a cab)

B Wright
01-15-2014, 03:59 PM
I used Wordscapes a number of times over the past few years and have always gotten the interview. Of course I have referred a number of my friends and colleagues to them and they've all had very positive results. I would recommend them anytime. Wordscapes is one of the few resume writer that will actually sit down in person and do a complete interview to extract skill sets a person writing their own resume would never think of.

I never had any problems with the working with the files they provided (Word DOC and PDF). If you're hopeless on computers then any file format will be a challenge.

Anyone that attempts to write their own resume is a fool - much like going to court without consulting a lawyer.

The pricing structure at Wordscapes is much more reasonable than most website rates, that want to fill out forms and give them you're credit card number without ever meeting them. Pretty Risky. Wordscapes has been writing resumes for over 28 years, so they should be good. They're also accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ service rating. So they are a legitimate resume company.

I'd certainly take anyone's negative opinion of Wordscapes with a grain of salt until you call and talk to them. I think you'll quickly realize Wordscapes is the real deal.

Dumbass17
01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
google "your profession" resume template

revise

done.

woodywoodford
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
google "your profession" resume template

revise

done.

Definitely this

I've used a "professional" resume writer while in uni and ended up leaving with half the resume and it looked like shit. No typo's and misplaced comma's, but otherwise total shit.

ddduke
01-15-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm amazed that no one has noticed that B Wright is definitely affiliated with Wordscapes yet.

timdog
01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
B Wright is definitely affiliated with Wordscapes, no doubt there.

this is sort of on topic since someone mentioned cover letters: this might just be me, but as someone who has read through hundreds of emails and conducted hundreds of interviews... I've never read a cover letter. not once. waste of time. your resume should show the experience/skills i'm looking for so why would I waste my time reading your personalized letter? but I'm curious if this is just me... ?

bjstare
01-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Holy...$100?

I will fix your resume and make you sound like a rockstar for that price LOL.

Do people really pay people to do this crap? I thought it was just common sense?

I wouldn't let you write a resume for me if you paid me.

:rofl:

sexualbanana
01-16-2014, 12:24 PM
I went to a career and transition coach to get some help with re-writing my resume and re-focusing my job search. She was really helpful, and had a noticeable jump in interviews afterwards, eventually landing the gig that I have now.

Eileen Dooley.com if you're interested.