PDA

View Full Version : Car went through unpaved road..

artieg30
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
hey guys, i was driving up to the airport last night and i hit a patch of road that was unpaved/removed so there was a 2" drop for the reg stretch of road to the unpaved part.

Long story short it was like my car hita speed bump (i presume the same type of damage) at a high speed. I was going around 80km/h at the time of the impact so it was definitely quite hard.

I got to check the car out after and it looks like my front passenger wheel is bent along with a bulge in the sidewall of that tire... the tire will be replaced and the wheel will be repaired, however i'm concerned about the long term effects of the damage to the chassis, suspension and frame/structural integrity of the car.

My question is, will this single incident damage the suspension system in my car? i'm a bit paranoid being that it's a brand new vehicle, can some of you genisues out there explain the impact and likelihood of damage with this incident? Thanks!

ddduke
10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't think anyone can predict anything without actually seeing the car. All sorts of damage could have happened.

My girlfriend did the exact same thing and the rad fan clipped the rad, fucking up the fan and causing a leak. That was completely unexpected.

Go get it checked out before it potentially causes a huge head ache for your.

beyond_ban
10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
My brother also hit that on the weekend. His front passenger tire has a bulge in it with a possible bent rim just like you. Is there any recourse that could be taken with the city?

I don't have personal experience with the construction zone, but i assume there is not sufficient signage to warn motorists of the hazard if it has happened on multiple occasions.

artieg30
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
My brother also hit that on the weekend. His front passenger tire has a bulge in it with a possible bent rim just like you. Is there any recourse that could be taken with the city?

I don't have personal experience with the construction zone, but i assume there is not sufficient signage to warn motorists of the hazard if it has happened on multiple occasions.

that was my next course of action, take it up with the city. I was paying attention at the time and saw a bunch of construction pylons on the side but i dont recall seeing anything that mentioned an unpaved road ahead, at least not fair warning! I'll have to drive up there again and see.

BlackArcher101
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Weird, no slower speed limit signs, construction signs, or bump signs?

artieg30
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Weird, no slower speed limit signs, construction signs, or bump signs?

I drove back last night cause I was 100% sure there were no signs, there was one right at the entrance of the ramp that advised a speed limit of 50km/h...

even then, i'm kind of shocked as i was going 80km/h which wasn't that far off... i'll probably get flamed but i still thank that at 80km/h the damage shouldn't have been that excess to the point where i need a new tire + rim.

so doesn't anyone else think this would cause damage to the suspension over one incident like this?

FraserB
10-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Depends on your suspension to be honest. So won't be able to handle it and some will be able to take much more.

Doubt you'll see anything out of he city as well since that area is pretty well signed as construction and you'll never be able to quantify how much of it wasnt your negligence.

And FWIW, the road is not unpaved. It has been milled.

JustinMCS
10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by artieg30
Car went through unpaved road..

http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*486/CPT118052771_high.jpg

I was expecting that. Disappointed.

KRyn
10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by artieg30
hey guys, i was driving up to the airport last night and i hit a patch of road that was unpaved/removed so there was a 2" drop for the reg stretch of road to the unpaved part.

Long story short it was like my car hita speed bump (i presume the same type of damage) at a high speed. I was going around 80km/h at the time of the impact so it was definitely quite hard.

I got to check the car out after and it looks like my front passenger wheel is bent along with a bulge in the sidewall of that tire... the tire will be replaced and the wheel will be repaired, however i'm concerned about the long term effects of the damage to the chassis, suspension and frame/structural integrity of the car.

My question is, will this single incident damage the suspension system in my car? i'm a bit paranoid being that it's a brand new vehicle, can some of you genisues out there explain the impact and likelihood of damage with this incident? Thanks!

This all happened in a F350? If so I wouldn't worry to much.

:dunno:

GS430
10-10-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

I lol'd hard. :rofl:

JustinMCS
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

2013 F30 would be a new BMW 3 Series.

KRyn
10-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

2013 F30 would be a new BMW 3 Series.

How do you know this, OP has numerous accounts?

JustinMCS
10-10-2012, 10:36 AM

How do you know this, OP has numerous accounts?

Just going by his "what I drive":

"artieg30
Neutral

What I drive: 2013 F30"

KRyn
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

Just going by his "what I drive":

"artieg30
Neutral

What I drive: 2013 F30"

Whoops for some reason I thought it said F350. :rofl:
I was all sorts of confused that he was worried about damaging anything!
Many apologies, that is what I get for checking out beyond before drinking my first cup of coffee.

Xtrema
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
I avoid Airport Trail like a plague right now til all the dust settles.

I come from the North so I take Barlow instead.

Or is the said drop isn't on Airport trail?

austic
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
City will not be any help, happend to me during the Stoney contruction and I had a photo showing no sign indicating hazzard that I hit going the 50km/h speed limit and bent my rim. City sent me a nice letter about my claim telling me to pound sand.

Strider
10-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by austic
City will not be any help, happend to me during the Stoney contruction and I had a photo showing no sign indicating hazzard that I hit going the 50km/h speed limit and bent my rim. City sent me a nice letter about my claim telling me to pound sand.

How exactly did they tell you to pound sand?
Did they tell you to go after Alberta Transportation because it's under their jurisdiction?

Xtrema
10-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by austic

There was a time when 4th st was ripped up with no sign.

I hit a port hole hard on my 20s and thought I bent a rim. But everything checks out. Called 311 anyway to let City know and guy on the phone said he will log the call and make sure call back if I find any damages.

artieg30
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
just to clarify, its a 2013 bmw 335xi M-sport. And yes i checked with the folks at Calgary BMW, all appears fine for now... i'm more worried of the damages that will manifest itself in the future as a result of this.. thank you guys for the advice, i'll call 311 to file a claim!

R-Audi
10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Cars are made in a fashion that things like wheels and tires will absorb any impact and damage before any major suspension parts do. If there isnt any major damage visible now you should be ok...

whiskas
10-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I went to the airport in the S2K this weekend and I slowed waaaay down going over those bumps.

I suggest getting your alignment checked, mention to the technician what happened, and if any part of your alignment is severely off spec then it should be easy to determine what part of your suspension is bent.

charlie_su1986
10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I avoid Airport Trail like a plague right now til all the dust settles.

I come from the North so I take Barlow instead.

Or is the said drop isn't on Airport trail?

It's the NB deerfoot exit ramp @ Airport trail. Went through that last sat and today, traffic is backed all the way on to deerfoot thanks to that stupid bump.

I don't understand why can't they do the milling a couple days before paving. :dunno: