PDA

View Full Version : kijiji mechanics vs shops

AutoMats
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Im using shops for now on, just cause a Kijiji mechanic says hes licensed doesnt mean anything. But i figure if theyre licensed and have the experience that they claim, then why arent they working out of a shop. Anyway, Im getting sick of mistakes being made and a lot of times not being able to get a hold of them to fix it or they end up closing down cause a lot of these guys work from their house and dont have any insurance so neighbours will usually always complain and get them shut down.

They can say they warranty all their work but if theyre out of their garage and dont pay insurance then good chance they end up getting complaints.

Shops are double the cost (usually $110+) vs kijiji mechs ($50-60). Have you always found it worth it just to pay up for a legit shop and you get what you pay for. Im not saying there isnt any good independant mechs on kijiji but its a hit and miss and big risk.

Wehbeast
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
theres one mechanic on there he's mobile his name is Alex, good fella

Redlyne_mr2
10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
If the shop screws up you have recourse, if the kijij mech screws up you're screwed. I guess it depends on the job.

M.alex
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
People actually go to kijiji mechanics? i think that has to be worse than going to crappy tire for service :rofl:

egmilano
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I've use a guy named Claude a couple times, has a little shop near Cross Roads Farmers Market, honest fellow and did the work correctly with pictures at half the price. Even installed new thermostat and some other goodies in my old Integra while doing the ball joints for cheap. I used one guy named Dave way back, I see him time from time out and about... total tweeker and tried telling me once he was done that he price was 100 bucks more than what he told me prior. I had to show him his text msg's regarding what he said he'd charge . left a mess in my drive way... total crack head.....

egmilano
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
People actually go to kijiji mechanics? i think that has to be worse than going to crappy tire for service :rofl:

Depends who you get really lol... Crappy tire charged me 130 dollars and couldnt find my coolant leak....2 hrs later I found it on my own ...
That being said I need my o-ring and rad plug on my sw changed when it arrives also need y new thermostat and gasket installed .....any takers =p

Sentry
10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
I think Right Price Auto has a rate of like 65 dollars. I had an OPI done there for only 110 bucks. Thats the cheapest actual shop I can think of.

Edit: Just checked, $69/hr. Pretty greasy place but it's gotta be better than a kijiji "mechanic" lol

egmilano
10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Hey Automats, I know you pm'd me earlier but try giving Claude a call. His number is 403-922-3534 I used him a year ago a couple times with my 94 Integra. Mentioning Kijiji just refreshed my mind lol If he does the work I know youll be happy. Think I may call him about my coolant flush...

AutoMats
10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
Hey Automats, I know you pm'd me earlier but try giving Claude a call. His number is 403-922-3534 I used him a year ago a couple times with my 94 Integra. Mentioning Kijiji just refreshed my mind lol If he does the work I know youll be happy. Think I may call him about my coolant flush...

Sorry Man, my car is already at a shop right now. Fuckin whole timing belt job and have to rip the whole thing apart plus replace the valve gasket and all the seals inside cause the dumbass mech who did it didnt install it right so my spark plugs and coils are soaked in oil :thumbsdow So have to replace spark plugs too cause my spark plugs have wear on them already and clean and dry the coils as best as they can.

Not happy at all! Having to repay for the labour and parts all over again! Going to leave a huge dent in my wallet :banghead:

ddduke
10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Wehbeast
theres one mechanic on there he's mobile his name is Alex, good fella

I really hope you're not talking about the guy who drives a big white van and does mobile mechanics only. I used him on a work truck a few years ago that was stuck out in springbank and he was useless.

BTW, I used Broken Axle for everything, but I needed a mobile guy right then and there, needed to be done that night.

Sugarphreak
10-10-2012, 09:52 PM

ExtraSlow
10-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I use "real" shops only, but I always prefer to use smaller independant shops. Never Canadian Tire, Midas or other chains.

Ocasionally will go to a dealer, but mostly, I have my local guy, he has three mechanics I belive. He's quick, honest and he's always done a good job.

AutoMats
10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I really hope you're not talking about the guy who drives a big white van and does mobile mechanics only. I used him on a work truck a few years ago that was stuck out in springbank and he was useless.

BTW, I used Broken Axle for everything, but I needed a mobile guy right then and there, needed to be done that night.

That might be Cam, theres a guy on Kijiji who always advertises as a pure mobile mechanic. He lives in Kincora.

Boosted131
10-10-2012, 11:13 PM
I met a really gOod bike mechanic on kijiji and also a car one that's likes 40/ hour. Think that alex guy might have done my timing belt

black13
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
I've had Alex work on one of my last cars. He did the job fine. If its the same guy we're talking about, he has his own shop now in bridgeland last time I checked. Ansel motors.

HuMz
10-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Alt of mechanics only work 40 hours a week, so they have lots of time to work on cars on the side for extra cash.

Try and get a few references and tell them you want to see there papers.

bourge73
10-11-2012, 06:51 AM
He sold that shop in Brigeland. Hes a decent mechanic and guy..but he gets way too busy, overbooks, is unorganized, and then his service gets shittty. Me personally, Ive had nothing but crackheads and retards show up off Kijiji. Never again.

FraserB
10-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Currently I take my cars to Honda West, Broken Axle or Fountain Tire (near Chinook) when they need maintenance/work I either can't do myself or don't have time for. Those are really the only shops I trust in town.

Haha, we use the exact same people then. Honda West for the parents Accord, Broken Axle for the Jeep, parts and soon the truck, Chinook Fountain Tire for tire stuff.

Tik-Tok
10-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
TFountain Tire (near Chinook)

Originally posted by FraserB

Chinook Fountain Tire for tire stuff.

The one on Fairmount? I don't know how you guys trust them, unless they've changed hands in the past 5 years, they're a bunch of idiots.

I ordered a set of tires from them, paid for it, went out to my truck and they were the wrong ones. Went back inside and asked wtf? They said the ones I wanted were no longer available, and these were just as good because his neighbor has had them for years :facepalm: . Manager refused to do anything for me, and wouldn't take them back.

FraserB
10-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Macleod and Glenmore.

Tik-Tok
10-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Macleod and Glenmore.

Yeah, that's the one (on Fairmount, beside the Shell)

FraserB
10-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, that's the one (on Fairmount, beside the Shell)

You have the wrong store in mind. South of the Macleod/Glenmore intersection by the Coop Gas Bar, its like Macleod and 70th.

Tik-Tok
10-11-2012, 08:24 AM

You have the wrong store in mind. South of the Macleod/Glenmore intersection by the Coop Gas Bar, its like Macleod and 70th.

Ohhh, forgot about that one. Good to know, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm too lazy/busy to fix something.

Weird there's 2 Fountain Tires so close to each other. If it weren't for the train tracks, you could walk between them in less than 2 minutes, lol.

bituerbo
10-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I paid this kid named Jordan Smith (who at the time was the local rep for VAST) to do my Stage 3 swap on my A6. After he did the swap, called me said the car was pissing oil, must be bad turbos. Tore it apart, sent the turbos back to the shop, shop says they're fine and sends them back - he reinstalls... still pissing oil. At this point he's charged me to do the job twice, and this has taken ~6 weeks. He's insisting bad turbos.

I say fuck it, finally take it to George at TuneDub. Turns out Jordan hadn't tightened the oil fittings down enough to crush the washers.

SO instead of paying someone competent to do the job once, I had to pay some asshat who didn't know what he was doing twice, then a real mechanic once. Because he was just some asshat who didn't know what he was doing working out of his parents garage in Springbank, I had zero recourse.

Shop's have things they need to protect: Insurance, reputation, license etc. Your friends off Kijiji have nothing to lose in fucking you over.

R-Audi
10-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
I paid this kid named Jordan Smith (who at the time was the local rep for VAST) to do my Stage 3 swap on my A6. After he did the swap, called me said the car was pissing oil, must be bad turbos. Tore it apart, sent the turbos back to the shop, shop says they're fine and sends them back - he reinstalls... still pissing oil. At this point he's charged me to do the job twice, and this has taken ~6 weeks. He's insisting bad turbos.

Shop's have things they need to protect: Insurance, reputation, license etc. Your friends off Kijiji have nothing to lose in fucking you over.

I had the exact same experience with Jordan/Jerbel Auto whatever its called! Screwed up my rear main seal job, axle install (popped off on crowchild!) and a few other items. Delayed, delayed, then told me to go elsewhere to get it fixed. I ended up being out of pocket an extra $2500 and had Reigel fix it..

NEVER again will I try to cheap out on $20-40 an hour. Pay someone to do it right the first time, who will fix any mistakes they make on their dime. (and has insurance, certifications etc)

Boosted131
10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone have a number for one of these decent kijiji mechanics ?

R-Audi
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
:facepalm:

Sugarphreak
10-11-2012, 01:27 PM

Boosted131
10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-services-skilled-trades-Mobile-Mechanics-W0QQAdIdZ421041035

This guy tried to quote me over a grand for what others were saying 250-350

GS430
10-12-2012, 08:38 AM
The phrase "you get what you pay for" is generally true.

I had luck once using a kijiji mechanic in Edmonton. The guys had their own little mobile shop in their 1 tonne cube van.

Both were journeymen mechanics and did a great job, I just can't remember the company name though.