PDA

View Full Version : Garage-door Openers: Chain drive vs Screw drive

treg50
10-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Im looking to get a garage door opener and was told of these two main types (i'm leaving out belt type).

Any things to consider? Opinions? Advice? Is screw-drive really the better option over chain? How about repair costs? What are the chances of a screw drive unit needing repairs?

CanmoreOrLess
10-10-2012, 11:57 PM
There is a resident garage door guy on Beyond, he will add his experienced advice. A small piece of advice, last year I had a new opener (chain drive) installed, did not notice the unit only came with one bulb, to do it again I would make certain there are two bulbs as the garage can feel a bit too dark driving in.

AndyL
10-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Screw drives are useless in Calgary. They're great out in places where it doesn't get cold...

Stick to chamberlain/liftmaster/craftsman, the rest are headaches.

jaylo
10-11-2012, 07:42 AM
I'd think the garage door would be also an important factor. My garage door does not have those giant loaded springs and two high tension wires, just the garage door opener. (It is actually this one http://www.prodoorparts.com/articles/wayne-dalton-torquemaster-spring-systems/)

It is a lightweight insulated garage door 16x7 and it is fairly quiet

I am using Chamberlain professional garage door opener

Cos
10-11-2012, 07:46 AM

adam c
10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a screw drive and got it because I hate how noisy the chain drives are, haven't had any issues with it but my garage is insulated and heated

Tik-Tok
10-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Why are you leaving out a belt drive? I love mine. A lot more quiet than the chain drive we replaced it.

:werd:

The two belt drives I have in my garage have been there for 10+ years with no problems. They had some heavy ass doors on them too until a couple of years ago.

lint
10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
+1 on belt drive. Andy's recco since my kids rooms are above the garage, and the now the garage doesn't wake them up. So much quieter and easier to sneak into the house.

AndyL
10-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
My garage door does not have those giant loaded springs and two high tension wires, just the garage door opener.

there are no residential doors that do no have springs and cables... there is a defunct commercial product that didn't, but they died off in 05

jaylo
10-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

there are no residential doors that do no have springs and cables... there is a defunct commercial product that didn't, but they died off in 05

My bad,

I have this one with a different spring system, looks and sounds cleaner

http://www.prodoorparts.com/articles/wayne-dalton-torquemaster-spring-systems/

AndyL
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Its 99% installation, as to how loud a door runs... I can make a 1200lb cedar monstrosity run quieter than a 167lb Wayne dalton... but yes,the torque master does have a cleaner more finished look...

If you want quiet, one of the DC motor chamberlain belts (advertised as estate series or hps+), or a 3800 - those are quietest. The regular AC motor belt drive - you'll hear few complaints about

eblend
10-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Why not a liftmaster 3800? love mine and get constant comments on how quiet my garage is

http://www.tdkmotorsports.com/shop/opener.jpg

AndyL
10-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
or a 3800 - those are quietest.

3800s are quietest... because your keeping vibrations on the wall, not roof/floor structure. And fewer moving parts...

AE92_TreunoSC
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
As a kid I always was afraid when I heard the door opening up haha. I like the 3800 looks like a great quiet alternative.

I have detach right now, 2 separate doors, so chain is here to stay.

Next house is attached and I'm gonna keep an eye out for those.

eblend
10-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Next house is attached and I'm gonna keep an eye out for those.

got mine on ebay, there is some guy in lethbridge or one of these small towns who sells these, I think I paid $380 shipped

Ashers
10-12-2012, 10:43 PM
I have a craftsman chain drive on our house. 8 years and no issues. I give it a shot of lube twice a year. Not too noisy, but you can definitely hear it in the room above the garage. The quality of the remotes leaves something to be desired though...

My neighbor has some high end screw drive and its a complete hunk of junk. Constantly requires adjustment on the drive pressure. There is tons of slack the unit. Sometimes it just refuses to open the door. It's the same age as ours.

treg50
10-14-2012, 03:52 PM
I think I've narrowed it down to a couple with Liftmaster looking decent to me: their screw drive unit for $300 (with installation). Is that a decent price?

Nauti_Buoy
10-14-2012, 06:26 PM
I have 7 1/2hp 3280 Liftmaster Pro's for my garage doors and they have been a great unit so far.
Highly recommend the Liftmaster!