PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy cake for this Sunday

xolemonteaox
10-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Hi,

It's my dad's birthday dinner this Sunday and I dont know where to order his cake. I was wondering if anybody can recommend a place and the type of cake to order. We've been ordering from Amandine for a long, long time and have tried Yamato, Brulee, Decadent Desserts, A Wish, Manuel Latruwe...
It's for a group of 10, preferably not too sweet.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

supe
10-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Funny was going to say Amandines! lol, my favorite.

Ice cream? Marble slab makes some really good ones.

xolemonteaox
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
^ Haha, I thought I should change it up a little bit =P

Forgot to mention, we're going to a restaurant, so ice cream cake may not be best.

lint
10-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Glamorgan bakery?

xolemonteaox
10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
^ lots of people recommend Glamorgan bakery, is there a cake you would highly recommend?

Hmmm...it seems like they are closed on Sundays.

suntan
10-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Bliss.

I fucking love Glamorgan though. They're also very reasonably priced.

Darell_n
10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
My wife makes Mackay's ice cream cakes in Cochrane. Can't go wrong there. :D $30 for 8" x 3" round.

dj_rice
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Theres that Asian cake place on Center Street but I can't remember the name of it. If its Yamato then ignore me suggetion

xolemonteaox
10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Theres that Asian cake place on Center Street but I can't remember the name of it. If its Yamato then ignore me suggetion Probably Yamato or Amandine?

I'm thinking about Glamorgan Bakery, would you guys recommend the hazelnut or the ganache? Are they really sweet?

egmilano
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Amandine is great, that where I normally go but why not try and bake one =p

suntan
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by xolemonteaox
Probably Yamato or Amandine?

I'm thinking about Glamorgan Bakery, would you guys recommend the hazelnut or the ganache? Are they really sweet? Nope, none of Glamorgan's cakes are very sweet. You can always ask them to tone it down more even too.

ga16i
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I had no idea Glamorgan did cakes. The other stuff that I've had from them were ugly as hell, but very tasty like all good homemade stuff should be.

If you're considering Asian cake places, maybe try a black forest or something from T&T. Small enough for 10 people, cheap, and available on Sundays.

genesis0403
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
glamorgan has a very strong butter flavor.... me personally I would probably go with sunterra market. Just bought a cake from brulee patisserie today but haven't tried it yet.

GS430
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by xolemonteaox
^ Haha, I thought I should change it up a little bit =P

Forgot to mention, we're going to a restaurant, so ice cream cake may not be best.

You could always ask the restaurant to put it in the fridge btw.

Regardless, best wishes to your father.

suntan
10-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by genesis0403
glamorgan has a very strong butter flavor.... me personally I would probably go with sunterra market. Just bought a cake from brulee patisserie today but haven't tried it yet. If you get a cake with buttercream icing, yes, it will taste like butter.

genesis0403
10-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by suntan
If you get a cake with buttercream icing, yes, it will taste like butter.

Actually i ate their pastries and breads but they all had a strong butter flavor

suntan
10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Typically pastries, and brioche and brioche-type breads are made with butter. Most of the bakeries in town use margarine because butter is expensive.

DarkDream
10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Try Yann Haute on 4th street. past 17th avenue

http://yannboutique.com/

The cakes there are amazing. One of the very few place that can make a cake that is still delicious the next day.

Personal favorite is their fruit tart. Has a light creme filling and lots of seasonal fruits.

Disoblige
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
Try Yann Haute on 4th street. past 17th avenue

http://yannboutique.com/

The cakes there are amazing. One of the very few place that can make a cake that is still delicious the next day.

I'll give this place a try.
Price point, looks to be similar to Manuel Latruwe. Curious to see how this compares.

Glamorgan Bakery :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
What a piece of shit cake, and so overrated. Rather eat a Co-op cake for the price.

urrforce
10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
i know its long past when you needed the cake but what about cakeworks? we used to get our cakes for work stuff from them and it was always a hit plus they make cool custom shit.

Disoblige
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I was looking at Yann Haute Patisserie and it seems like the cakes listed on their website are pastries that are made into cake size (i.e. Paris-Brest, Saint-Honore). So it didn't seem very suitable for a birthday (I could be wrong). That and I didn't want a special occasion cake because I hate cakes that use fondant (gross).

I haven't had Manuel Latruwe for a while, so decided to give it a try again. It tastes like a cake made out of Ferrero Rocher.

Yum. Very good.

http://s12.postimage.org/q1vyp97b1/Manuel_Latruwe.png

If you request writing, they will put it on a piece of white chocolate. It's too bad the white chocolate signage tastes like ass. Don't eat that part!

Disoblige
11-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Just recently celebrated a birthday, and if you're looking for an awesome, FRESH fruit cake (not like the horrible shit at T&T), then go to St. Laurent Cake House in Chinatown.

They changed owners, and the cake is the bomb.

Fruit is the freshest I've had in my life. Fresh cream, very soft cake. Much better than Amandine's fruit cake. Plus, you can eat a big slice of this cake and not feel like passing out.

The cake is simple, yet it's executed perfectly. No complaints, I can eat this everyday and gain 20lb easily. :rofl:

http://s15.postimage.org/3ymicsqe3/2012_11_14_19.jpg