PDA

View Full Version : parting out 240 question

Skrilla
10-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Trying to help out a friend who needs to free up some cash. He has a 92 or 93 (don't remember) 240sx he needs to sell fast. I wouldn't mind helping him out since its cheap enough and could bomb to work and back in it for a while. Question is being an automatic the car is not to sought after I guess. If it craps out or I decide to sell in spring is there a decent market for the shell if its rust free? I wouldn't expect all my money back but it all helps.

Would it be better to part the car or sell as a whole? It looks clean except a front fender dent, don't see any rust, under hood is very clean.

Thanks.

Abeo
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla
don't see any rust

Look harder. Nissans of that era had factory primer issues which caused them to rot out quickly.

Ahead/behind rear wheels, behind the mud flaps, under the side skirts (if it has any), there will be a hole above the cat, and probably other various holes or soft spots in the floor. Top of front strut towers probably have some rust, too.

If the car really is rust free, then you would have no issues selling it... and for a few hundred dollars you can convert it to a manual trans too.

Skrilla
10-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Will do thanks. I was in between meetings and rushed over had a quick look underneath and such was clean. But I will pull it inside and go over it.

Abeo
10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I'd take a screw driver with you and poke at the rusty parts. The way they rust out, sometimes there is only paint left. Anywhere there is two or three panels pinch welded together is a potential issue (pinch welds on the bottom of rockers, rear wheel arches, etc).

Also, look at the frame next to the cat, and the side of the frame near the firewall looking in from the front wheel well. If it looks repaired or original but lumpy, then there was/is some rust issues.

Ca_Silvia13
10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
rear spoiler rust is super common too