PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Flu season

vengie
10-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Well it was inevitable, heading to class this morning on the train people were hacking up lungs all over the place.

Which got me thinking, what are some tactics everyone uses to get through this time of the year healthy??

Personally I rarely get sick, have a fairly healthy diet and LOVE drinking tea.
However I was thinking of adding something a little extra to my arsenal this year.

Does anyone use Oil or Oregano? Or Cold fx? What are your opinions of both.

Any other tactics to help in the fight??

Squishy
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
When someone coughs, hold your breath so you don't ingest the germs :D

Kijho
10-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Been taking cold fx, says take 2 a day or whatever but I've just been taking 1 every day or so, sometimes forgetting days so I just take it tomorrow morning. I don't have a cold but on the bottle it says take at first sign of a cold or as a preventative measure.
Haven't had a cold in a while.

However, I wash my hands literally every 20 fucking minutes it seems like while I'm at work and still managed to end up with the first flu I've had in a good couple years and was throwing up every 20 minutes, about 3 times an hour, zero exaggeration last week here. Called in sick the next day. Felt fine after 48 hours and was back at work -- literally used hand sanitizer all over the keyboards, counter, mouse etc. lol.

Mar
10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't do anything different and I don't take any drugs of any kind. I don't know why people are so paranoid, you're just going to make your immune system worse by ingesting all those things. I never get sick, I've never missed a day of work in my life.

Mitsu3000gt
10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Drink lots of water, wash your hands when you remember, work out, and get decent amounts of sleep.

I haven't been sick in about 18 months.

Also cold FX is a complete scam, and the few reputable studies on it (most are funded by Cold FX) show that if you take 3 pills 3 times a day, every day, sick or not, your chances of getting a cold are a couple percent less than average at best. Most people start pounding the stuff when they get sick and it's not really how it is supposed to work, but if they get better for some other reason, they think its the Cold FX haha.

I also don't get flu shots usually.

lasimmon
10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't try and do anything specific, however I get sick for about 4 days in October every year.

Its like fucking clockwork :banghead:

aaronzaski
10-11-2012, 06:31 PM
double up on the flu shots. my employer offers lots of clinics and i always go twice. if you can't just take medicines.

jdmXSI
10-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by aaronzaski
double up on the flu shots. my employer offers lots of clinics and i always go twice. if you can't just take medicines.

not sure if serious...

I have been felling a little run down lately and been drinking a hot Honey (local)/ ginger/ lemon tea in the morning and evening before bed. Which has seemed to help fight off what ever is making me tired. I also take vitamin D and Emergen-C on top of the daily fruit smoothy of Blue berries, Black berries, Strawberries, Mango juice. *knck on wood* I have not been sick in about 12-18 months.

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Never take pills (Cold FX,etc) dont get flu shots and such. I never do and i like never get sick...Only shitty thing is that when i do get sick im like deathly ill which sucks. Lol.:barf:

Mar
10-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by aaronzaski
That reminds me, I have to book my annual Polio vaccination.

Thomas Gabriel
10-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Vitamin C: 4000mg a day

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/field/jimr/2012/00000040/00000001/art00004

Zinc: 75mg a day (either from lozenges or pills)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3136969/

Aged Garlic Extract: 2500mg a day

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22280901

Those are about the only useful supplemental ways to beat colds. The ginseng in Cold FX has been shown to be somewhat effective in decreasing cold frequency but like mentioned above, it has very little effect on the duration of colds. Sleep is by far the biggest immune system modulator (under 6 hours sleep decreases T-cell count to like 25%).

I personally don't believe trying to avoid the virus through hand washing helps at all. That's a losing battle. It's best just to stay healthy and hope your immune system can kill it before it becomes symptomatic.

flipstah
10-11-2012, 09:36 PM
- Ginger Tea
- Hygiene
- Orange Juice
- Exercise
- Sleep
- Repeat
-???
-Profit

KRyn
10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I get my freak on as much as possible, this helps strengthen the immune system. All the fluid swapping and such, or so I have been told and tell my wifey.

http://www.rodale.com/health-benefits-sex

GS430
10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Vitamin C, eat healthy, get proper sleep, exercise, wash hands.

I've never bothered with any of that ColdFX non-sense, and I've built up quite the immune system.

vengie
10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I get my freak on as much as possible, this helps strengthen the immune system. All the fluid swapping and such, or so I have been told and tell my wifey.

http://www.rodale.com/health-benefits-sex

Looks like I'll have to show this to the ol' lady! :thumbsup:

revelations
10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
I used to get sinus/cold/flu around xmas time like clock work.

Then i started using a humidifier in the condo (house now). I also started taking Potassium in big doses.

Now I dont get sick as much anymore.:dunno:

Rudee
10-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Both my parents are Physicians and they are around sick people all the time. We rarely had colds in our family growing up because my parents taught us to be mindful and avoid rubbing our eyes or picking our nose, because doing so pushes any cold virus you have residing on your hands into your nasal membrane, where it finds the perfect place to grow and make you sick. Bottom line: You can comfortably be around people with colds and not catch one if you keep your hands away from your face, and wash them at the first opportunity.

The main reason why children catch colds more than adults is because children are quite well-known for rubbing their eyes and picking their noses, and thus, transferring the virus from their hands into their nasal cavity.

max_boost
10-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Probably inevitable to get sick. Last year I was active, healthy, eating and sleeping well and then i got hit with the flu for the first Time ever. It took around 10 days to feel better but it lingered on for months. Not gonna lie I thought I was gonna Die. :nut: