PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: License Plate Blocker

rockwolf2001
10-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I was stopped at a red light yesterday and one row up in the lane beside me was a black Audi RS4. On his license plate, he had what seemed to be a clear piece of reflective tape covering the last three digits of his license plate so that it made them blurry and i couldnt see it from my angle

first thing i thought was that it must be illegal...
the light proceeded to turn green and both of us took a left. he then merged into my lane in front of me (changing the angle i was viewing his license plate) and his license plate's digits were no longer faded!!!
it was pretty cool

does anyone have any details about this? is it legal? does it work to prevent red light cameras? what's its use? etc?

also, if the owner of that black Audi RS4 with blacked out windows is a beyonder, nice ride :D
i wish i had taken a picture, but i just wasnt thinking
Thanks

aaronzaski
10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
yes nice car but we do not need photo with plate to out the driver to the police and their followers on here.

rockwolf2001
10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
obviously i would have shown the blurred picture with the last three digits blurred... i'm not a moron

CanmoreOrLess
10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Just mount a bike rack on your trailer hitch like everyone else. Plate unreadable. Illegal anything blocking a plate, even dirt. Imagine a cop seeing this ass-hat in an Audi, he'd have the guy written up from tinted windows to an illegal tailpipe and everything between. I see cops all the time checking plates when they are in traffic. Just asking for trouble this.

bignerd
10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
My mom use to have one, it was a clear plastic cover that had a strip through the middle like you would see on a hologram or holographic card that changes images depending on how you tilt it.

Yes they are illegal and cops will pull you over if they see it. My mom was pulled over and played dumb, told the cop that it was on the car when she bought it...

Disoblige
10-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah, that's just asking for trouble.

Unless you keep cutting the cop off so you're always directly in front of him and he can't see the digits blurred at an angle :rofl:

sexualbanana
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I fucking hate those covers that people put over their plates

AE92_TreunoSC
10-11-2012, 11:42 PM
They are even cutting down on the bike racks.

It's blocking a plate and will assist in breaking the law.

Not just Speed cameras but hit and runs etc...

pf0sh0
10-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Supposed to help with distorting radar camera images

98type_r
10-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
They are even cutting down on the bike racks.

It's blocking a plate and will assist in breaking the law.

Not just Speed cameras but hit and runs etc...

How exactly are they cutting down on bike racks? I've never heard of this.

Hallowed_point
10-12-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

x2..:guns:

Maxx Mazda
10-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Look at it this way. Removing the plate altogether is more effective.

Say you have valid registration and insurance (what idiot doesn't) and no plate. Get pulled over, say someone must have stolen it and you didn't notice. You still provide valid registration and insurance, maybe get a $120 for no plate.

OR, rack up close to $800 in "speed on green" cameras... Take your pick.

Either way, it's illigeal...

rage2
10-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Illegal anything blocking a plate, even dirt.
Ya, definately not a fan of that. I got ticketed about 10 years ago for having an obstructed plate. Was a crazy snow storm, and snow covered the plate on the drive home from work. It was clean before because I parked in a heated parkade.

max_boost
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Ya, definately not a fan of that. I got ticketed about 10 years ago for having an obstructed plate. Was a crazy snow storm, and snow covered the plate on the drive home from work. It was clean before because I parked in a heated parkade. Was definitely out to get you. :nut:

rage2
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Was definitely out to get you. :nut:
haha yup. It was probably because I was on winter tires, and driving near the speed limit in a SLK, while everyone was getting stuck. Not my fault I have the right tires tho right? haha

Kramerica
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Saw some cops walk right by a guy with an obstructed plate on their way into a McDonald's, both of them looked at it and kept walking. Guess their ticket quota for the month was filled :banghead:

GS430
10-12-2012, 03:40 PM
After Rage brushed off the plate this was the exact reaction of the cop..

http://toddsrus.themtodds.org/mma/mother-of-god-gif-i9.gif

and let him go without saying a word.. true story.

aaronzaski
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM

why do you care?

revelations
10-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Saw some cops walk right by a guy with an obstructed plate on their way into a McDonald's, both of them looked at it and kept walking. Guess their ticket quota for the month was filled :banghead:

Could it POSSIBLY be that the cops had better things to do instead of writing up silly tickets (like eat at McDs) :dunno:

ddduke
10-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by aaronzaski

why do you care?

How many days do you think before this guy gets the ol' ban stick?

Maybelater
10-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I see them all the time, I figure some people must be getting away with it or something. Still I'd rather a photo ticket then getting pulled over.

BensonTT
10-13-2012, 01:41 PM
What does this thing look like? I cant picture it. Any pics?

Skidro
10-13-2012, 03:07 PM
I used to have a plastic cover that you put on top of your plate and it was angled so from the left the last 3 were hidden and etc..

heavyfuel
10-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by aaronzaski
yes nice car but we do not need photo with plate to out the driver to the police and their followers on here.

You're such a superhero lol

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

x2..:guns:

Had some today?

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/haterade-logo.jpg

natty54
10-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I have always wanted to make this:

ovLpMzMSj9w

Sugarphreak
10-14-2012, 05:21 PM

Abeo
10-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I always see older trucks with ball hitches partially blocking the plate on the bumper too... it is totally OEM, so I don't think they can get in trouble for it.

http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/58.gif

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r

How exactly are they cutting down on bike racks? I've never heard of this.

Ya I had some idiot cps from Britain stop me and give me a hard time about my bike rack and bike mounted on my hitch blocking me plate... get a life officer ...

ddduke
10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Ya I had some idiot cps from Britain stop me and give me a hard time about my bike rack and bike mounted on my hitch blocking me plate... get a life officer ...

Was it the one around the Mckenzie Towne area with the red charger?

That guy's nuts. Gave my gf a ticket for tint, gave me a tint ticket then on another occasion pulled me over to tell me to remove my license plate cover that doesn't obstruct the plate at all.

rockwolf2001
10-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
I used to have a plastic cover that you put on top of your plate and it was angled so from the left the last 3 were hidden and etc..

THIS!

that's what the guy had.
did you take it off your car skidro?
any stories?

bart
10-16-2012, 02:22 AM
in europe if you put a bike rack on then you must get another license plate for your bike rack