PDA

View Full Version : Bike Accident on 10th Ave & 8th St SW

mo_money2supe
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I work at the building next to this intersection and snapped a few pics of the forensics team hard at work. They've been at it all morning it seems. Looks like the cyclist was hit by a van going through the intersection. One of my co-workers talked to the cops on scene and it sounded like the cyclist was the one who ran the red light. One of the sketchiest intersections to be travelling through whether by foot, bike, or driving if you ask me.

Sorry for the bad quality pics...still using an iPhone 3GS...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/simonmctam/782CA47F-19B4-4310-9A0F-1F6B5B697DC8-1993-000002923FB97CC0.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/simonmctam/A5B58273-6EE0-4629-A94A-2E853D5E0C75-1993-0000029234FE5DB4.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/simonmctam/5A382692-D24A-4B33-B0E3-2552A90668CC-1993-000002922D29350A.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/simonmctam/E1AF4F2F-4C67-4287-AE1B-357E9E0313F3-1993-000002921A5CB7E3.jpg

nzwasp
10-12-2012, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the cyclist ran a red light - I dont think i ever seen cyclists actually obeying any laws.

suntan
10-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I used to cycle to and fro work and I'd follow the laws as best I could, and I'd get sworn at from other bicyclers for doing things like stopping at red lights.

DeleriousZ
10-12-2012, 10:41 AM
The gf went by there this morning and said she saw a pretty good sized pool of blood on the ground.

Biker _probably_ ran the light, but you can never be sure, white van drivers are fucking awful.

mo_money2supe
10-12-2012, 10:43 AM
If you look at the first pic, there's a "cone" placed on the sidewalk where the blood pool is... They've since cleaned it up though. In fact, the whole CPS unit just finished and left the scene.

Canmorite
10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I saw a lady get smoked by a car there a few years ago. Car turned right while she was crossing the street, not sure who was at fault.

Thomas Gabriel
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
So he ran a red but now they'll use this to support getting their own separated bike lane because 10th ave is "unsafe".

Mibz
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
So he ran a red but now they'll use this to support getting their own separated bike lane because 10th ave is "unsafe". Bingo, haha.

chibwack
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I'd have a lot more sympathy if I ever saw cyclists obey the law. Run a red light, pay the price be it monetary or physically.

rojhero
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I've biked through this intersection almost everyday for the past five years and I've never seen a cyclist run the red on this tricky intersection. There's too much going on and many blind spots with the slope. I saw the aftermath of this incident and was pretty disappointed. Looks like the cyclist ran the light going West and was hit by the van going North.

Most cyclists obey the law from what I've seen. Don't let those few bad apples sway you into thinking cyclists all behave the same way.

Btw, there already is a designated bike lane for Westbound travel between 3:30-6:00PM. Took a while for people not to park in the lane, but now it works well.

Moonracer
10-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by rojhero
I've biked through this intersection almost everyday for the past five years and I've never seen a cyclist run the red on this tricky intersection. There's too much going on and many blind spots with the slope. I saw the aftermath of this incident and was pretty disappointed. Looks like the cyclist ran the light going West and was hit by the van going North.

Most cyclists obey the law from what I've seen. Don't let those few bad apples sway you into thinking cyclists all behave the same way.

Btw, there already is a designated bike lane for Westbound travel between 3:30-6:00PM. Took a while for people not to park in the lane, but now it works well.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Exactly, it's funny how people only see what they want to see sometimes. I see plenty of cars going through red lights too.

XylathaneGTR
10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
...still using an iPhone 3GS...

The biggest crime in this thread.

mo_money2supe
10-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
The biggest crime in this thread.

:rofl: :( My contract's over with Fido and I was planning on going through retentions (again), but they don't offer the S3. I'm not a big fan of the iPhone5 (my wife has one) either, otherwise, I would've just picked that up through Fido. I'm unwilling to switch carriers 'cause none can still match my (now) grandfathered old retentions plan hence why I still haven't upgraded phones. I could pick up the 5, sell it, buy an S3, but picky me, I now consider even the S3 "old" technology so I don't see the point of getting it now. Might see what Nexus has in store if they announce in Dec again.

:hijack:

thetransporter
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

:rofl: :( My contract's over with Fido and I was planning on going through retentions (again), but they don't offer the S3. I'm not a big fan of the iPhone5 (my wife has one) either, otherwise, I would've just picked that up through Fido. I'm unwilling to switch carriers 'cause none can still match my (now) grandfathered old retentions plan hence why I still haven't upgraded phones. I could pick up the 5, sell it, buy an S3, but picky me, I now consider even the S3 "old" technology so I don't see the point of getting it now. Might see what Nexus has in store if they announce in Dec again.

:hijack:

well the iphone 3gs should still have a lot of features and offer high quality pictures its only a few years old.. people camped to buy it...

BrknFngrs
10-12-2012, 12:17 PM

I agree that I don't recall seeing a huge number of bikes running lights at this intersection but bicycle commuters on 8th can be pretty brutal; tons of passing on the shoulder, advancing into intersections way before lights turn green, etc.

dj_patm
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Those photos could use some Instagraming.

FraserB
10-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Witnesses, even people who work with the cyclist, are saying he ran a red light and the truck had a green.

I guess he'll have a while to decide if saving those 2 minutes is going to be worth the outcome.

Feruk
10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow you got to work early. I walked past at picture #3 time. Edit: I think I found myself in your pic.

So he ran a red but now they'll use this to support getting their own separated bike lane because 10th ave is "unsafe".
Too late, there's one there already. It just reverts to car/bike at the intersection.

buh_buh
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I see bikers on a pretty regular basis run the red light heading west on 10th ave.

clem24
10-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Haha funniest statement ever. Most cyclists I've seen so do NOT obey the law. Running red lights and stop signs are something that I totally expect now from all cyclists and am surprised when they DO stop.

mo_money2supe
10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
well the iphone 3gs should still have a lot of features and offer high quality pictures its only a few years old.. people camped to buy it...
Sad thing is, I actually got the 3GS the third day it came out in stores. It's already so outdated that it can barely run the simplest of apps. Could be iOS 6 though...

Originally posted by dj_patm
Those photos could use some Instagraming.
I even tried doing light edits on the photos, including HDR'ing a few but the lack of quality doesn't exactly lend to the greatest of edits. What you see are the "raw" pics only...

Originally posted by Feruk
Wow you got to work early. I walked past at picture #3 time. Edit: I think I found myself in your pic.

Not really...got to my desk at 8:10am - slept in this morning otherwise I would've been here between 7:30-8:00am. These were taken right from my office on the 5th floor. The pics also aren't in order either; they were taken at various times between 8:10-10ish am.

mo_money2supe
10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
In case anyone's still interested:Citybeat Link (http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/injury-collision-239659.aspx)

Injury Collision

October 12, 2012 11:10 AMCategory: Police, Public Safety

The Calgary Police Service is investigating a serious injury collision downtown.

On Friday, Oct. 12, 2012, at 7:15 a.m., a serious motor vehicle collision involving a cyclist occurred at the intersection of 8 Street and 10 Avenue S.W. A 28-year-old man was driving a van northbound on 8 Street S.W. when he struck a 29-year-old male cyclist, who was eastbound on 10 Avenue S.W.

Witnesses have told police that the van had a green light and the cyclist had a red light when the collision occurred. The cyclist was transported to hospital with critical head injuries, but is expected to survive. He was not wearing a helmet.

Weather, speed and alcohol were not factors in this collision.

The CPS Traffic Section continues to investigate and anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call 403-567-4000, or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:

TALK: 1-800-222-8477
TYPE: tttTIPS.com
TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637

Poor guy, he might have serious brain injuries from this. Wouldn't even be able to understand the reprocussions of his bad decision from running the red.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Another angle, this one from before they covered up the blood stain.

http://imgur.com/8ycOQ

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Fuck bikers. Run red light, don't obey laws...sorry for your luck but your asking for this to happen. Bikers are absolutely useless and shouldn't be on the road to begin with than add in that 90% of them don't obey 1 law...fuck em.

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Dbl post

Moonracer
10-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Fuck bikers. Run red light, don't obey laws...sorry for your luck but your asking for this to happen. Bikers are absolutely useless and shouldn't be on the road to begin with than add in that 90% of them don't obey 1 law...fuck em.

Wow you're intelligent. What about all the drivers who don't obey the law, they shouldn't be allowed on the road either.
This guy did something stupid and paid the price. Why do you care if he was on a bike or not?

DeleriousZ
10-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Weather, speed and alcohol were not factors in this collision.

aka. "you fucked up son"

G-ZUS
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
I feel bad for the van driver :(

phreezee
10-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Another angle, this one from before they covered up the blood stain.

http://imgur.com/8ycOQ

Can't even see the crank on the side he got hit. Most if not all the commuters I see have helmets. I'm going to guess this guy was a bike messenger.

Moonracer
10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Can't even see the crank on the side he got hit. Most if not all the commuters I see have helmets. I'm going to guess this guy was a bike messenger.

It's possible but judging by the width of the handlebar it's not likely.

Pacman
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm getting annoyed with the bike's running red lights downtown.

I'm going to buy a dashcam to protect myself on the off chance I hit one. Anyone have a good suggestion for something around the $100 price range?

Sophal
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
I feel bad for the van driver :(

I agree.

Moonracer
10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I feel sorry for all the people that got held up in traffic during the rush hour. :nut:

suntan
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Wow you're intelligent. What about all the drivers who don't obey the law, they shouldn't be allowed on the road either.
This guy did something stupid and paid the price. Why do you care if he was on a bike or not? Seriously, you've seen tons of drivers go through red lights? I've been driving in this damned city for decades now and have seen it twice.

With the amount of traffic there is these days, it's almost impossible to run a red unless it's really late or really early in the day.

Moonracer
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Seriously, you've seen tons of drivers go through red lights? I've been driving in this damned city for decades now and have seen it twice.

With the amount of traffic there is these days, it's almost impossible to run a red unless it's really late or really early in the day.

Ya absolutely. Not generally on purpose but unknowingly which is even worse cause it means they aren't even looking to see if it's clear. My statement was a general one about drivers not obeying the rules like the one by the guy I quoted.

For the most part it's messengers running reds and doing all the crazy stuff but they take very calculated risks and they get ticketed when they are caught just like anyone else. Then there's the guys who copy them and think it's ok to do the same as them. I'm not saying it's right or ok I'm just sayin.......:)

suntan
10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Ya absolutely. Not generally on purpose but unknowingly which is even worse cause it means they aren't even looking to see if it's clear. My statement was a general one about drivers not obeying the rules like the one by the guy I quoted.

For the most part it's messengers running reds and doing all the crazy stuff but they take very calculated risks and they get ticketed when they are caught just like anyone else. Then there's the guys who copy them and think it's ok to do the same as them. I'm not saying it's right or ok I'm just sayin.......:) So, how many did you see?

And if you're "just sayin" that bad drivers should not be driving, then bad bicyclers should also not be bicycling. I don't think you'd ever support or even care about the latter though.

rojhero
10-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I've seen two cars run red lights in the past week. One blatantly on a long red and the other didn't even slow down so probably unknowingly. I actually see it about once a month and I don't drive much since I commute by bike.

I think what moonracer and I are trying to get at is that people make dumb decisions from all walks of life. Don't hate all cyclists because of the actions of a few.

Originally posted by clem24

Haha funniest statement ever. Most cyclists I've seen so do NOT obey the law. Running red lights and stop signs are something that I totally expect now from all cyclists and am surprised when they DO stop. I'm guessing you mainly see courier/messengers in downtown instead of regular commuters. They're the equivalent of taxi drivers in downtown. Many of their actions are illegal and dangerous, but don't let that fool you into thinking all cyclists/drivers are like that.

Pacman - I think you're better off getting a dash cam to watch out for other cars rather than bikes based on the odds. Although much more expensive, I opted for the Blackvue. No hassle high quality recording and super easy to use. Check here for more discussion on all sorts of dash cams:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-car-camera-recommendations-995312/75/

phreezee
10-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Just saw the close up live footage on the news and it looked outright gruesome.:eek: White unbranded bike, no crank, basketball sized impact on windshield and blood pool.

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Considering 98/100 bike riders I see break rules...to the above posters you are talking out your ass. When you rode your gay little pedal bike do you sit in traffic and wait in line like is LEGAL or skip your way to the front?

Pedal bike vs. my car...I win! I bet I have ran into beyonders downtown. I am the one trying to get you to hit curbs or parked cars when you are being an ass shat. :D

btimbit
10-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Funny, just a few days ago I had to slam on my brakes because a cyclist flew in between two lanes to jump to the front of the line at a stop sign, slowed for a quick second to exchange words with the driver of a black truck, before running the stop sign cutting off two other cars.
Dear douchebag cyclist; I don't know what the driver of the black truck did to piss you off, but you probably deserved it. You're only going to hurt yourself with these antics so simmer down.
This wasn't downtown, this was on James Mckevitt

On topic; sucks that the guy got hurt. I feel worse for the van driver for having to live with it when all he did was not brake in time.

rojhero
10-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Considering 98/100 bike riders I see break rules...to the above posters you are talking out your ass. When you rode your gay little pedal bike do you sit in traffic and wait in line like is LEGAL or skip your way to the front?

Pedal bike vs. my car...I win! I bet I have ran into beyonders downtown. I am the one trying to get you to hit curbs or parked cars when you are being an ass shat. :D

:facepalm: Stop trolling dude. Drivers are no better than cyclists and cyclists are no better than drivers. As you can tell from the discussion/pics, no one wins in a collision. You want to be the guy that kills a person at fault or not?

Do you also run other drivers off the road when they roll a stop sign or run a red? That's outrageous.

Type_S1
10-12-2012, 11:48 PM

:facepalm: Stop trolling dude. Drivers are no better than cyclists and cyclists are no better than drivers. As you can tell from the discussion/pics, no one wins in a collision. You want to be the guy that kills a person at fault or not?

Do you also run other drivers off the road when they roll a stop sign or run a red? That's outrageous.

not trolling "dude" :facepalm:

Drivers are much better than cyclists because they don't cause drivers a massive inconvenience by pedaling at 10-15 km/h in a 50. And hold on...from the pictures I can see that the driver won. That is all.

rage2
10-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Drivers are no better than cyclists and cyclists are no better than drivers.
With the exception of downtown. Bikers are insane downtown haha.

cloud7
10-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Strangely, I believe 8 Street is one of the locations being considered for a bike lane.