PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice! - accident related

cbr600rr
02-11-2004, 01:51 AM
Ok, so here's the thing:

I accidently hit another guy(car on car), and well, there's damage to my car, and barely any to his. The thing is, he said it was ok and said "don't worry about it". This being my first time in an accident, I wasn't thinking and well I didn't take any of his information and he didn't take any of mine.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do? Do I have to report this to the police still? I'm guessing, I'm gonna have to definitely report this to my insurance, correct?

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

EVOI
02-11-2004, 02:02 AM
well, you said there's damage on you car but how bad is it?
and are you planning to fix the damage on your car?

cbr600rr
02-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Part of the bumper is dented and kind of falling off a bit, and the the light is shattered. Yeah, I want to get it fixed also.

EVOI
02-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Then, go to a bodyshop first and get a quote on the damage.
If the damage exceed 1000 then you have to file a report with the police, if not then you don't have to.

As for the insurance, only if you want them to pay for it!

cbr600rr
02-11-2004, 02:20 AM
ok, thanks a lot!

Also, i was told that i needed information from both parties involved in an accident to file a report, but I don't have any of that guy's info, cause he left right after. Is this true or can I just file it without the other guy's info?

20incheyes
02-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Well the other guy may have just left without giving you his info b/c

1. He didn't want to deal with the POPO and fled
2. More likely he didn't care about a minor scratch on his car and looked at yours, thought he'd never report that since he probably thought it was just a couple hundred dollars in damage, and just left being a nice guy.

Get it appraised or check ebay or somewhere else for parts, and then you'll have an answer.

Zero102
02-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Hehehe, you are a lucky one.
First of all, DON'T call the insurance. They will rape you on your rates.
Next, that is correct, you need the other guy's info to file a report. Now, if you tell them the situation, they may just say the other driver is unidentified, and complete the report.
However, for what it's worth, I bought a car with a bunch of body damage, and the first thing I did was go to the police station and get a damage clearance tag, they gave me one without an accident report or anything.
You may not have to file the report.

Also, many body shops (even though the estimates say otherwise) will fix the damage without a sticker.

rc2002
02-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Either he was a really nice guy. Or he had something illegal going on like no insurance or his car was stolen. I think you got off pretty lucky. There are some pricks out there who would want a completely new bumper if you put a small scratch on it.

cbr600rr
02-11-2004, 01:18 PM
yeah, I lucked out big time!

but yeah, the guy was really nice about it. yeah, he came out and looked at my car, then said "don't worry about it". so i guess he pity me and my damaged or something.

but thanks for all the help guys! im so much more relieved now..