PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new car without selling a car, Insurance question

ercchry
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
so i tried sending maskedbandit a pm yesterday. but it seems like he hasnt been on here yet.

so, yeah winter beater time. its the weekend. insurance and registry is closed.

i know if i sold my car i could just take all that info and the bill of sale to the new car and be fine. is this still possible to do if i just leave my current car in the garage while picking up my new beater?

Jeeper1986
10-13-2012, 06:49 PM
sure u can just put ur car on park mode with the incurance it will be like 50 bucks a month or so theft and fire well maybe not 50 bucks but im my 97 bmw when i park it i pay like 30 bucks

ercchry
10-13-2012, 07:26 PM
thats not what im asking

THIS WEEKEND... not being able to get insurance since its the weekend... can i get my new shit box home without facing the possibility of $5000 in fines

Cos
10-13-2012, 07:32 PM

GOnSHO
10-13-2012, 07:41 PM
just talked to my mom, she was a branch manager at an insurance company...

As long as you take your insurance, registration and plate from your "summer car" (mustang?) and have the bill of sale from the "winter beater" with you, you shouldnt have any issues with driving the winter car.

on monday, call your insurance agency and add the winter beater, put all of your stuff back in the mustang after you have all new papers for the winter beater

Kramerica
10-13-2012, 08:17 PM
just drive home with current cars plates and don't be an asshole to the cops if they pull you over? :dunno:

Cos
10-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Jeeper1986
10-13-2012, 09:50 PM
when u buy a car u can drive it from the point u got it from to the point u r ending as in urhouse just have the bill of sale with you, and a valid insrance on the plate

Duckman
10-13-2012, 11:19 PM
NO! You cannot legally do what you are proposing. You can use the plates from your old vehicle on your new vehicle as long as you transfer them within 10 days.But then those plates can only legally be used on the new vehicle.
Insurance does not transfer in any case. Either get a transit permit (like $75) or a tow truck.

guessboi
10-14-2012, 12:08 AM
You are fine. Your existing insurance will transfer over automatically for 14 days from the bill of sale. (Same coverage(s) / deductible as your existing vehicle)

Plate is a different story since it is not legal to use your current plate for the new car.

And yes there is a chance you could get pull off.

Safest method is to get a temporary pink card from maskedbandit...and tell him to be avaliable 7 days a week for you. :D
Just like I get all my pm and email to my phone.

Team_Mclaren
10-14-2012, 01:31 AM
He's not transfering anything tho, its a new coverage altogether. I would call monday and pickup the car on Monday. Why risk it...

dannie
10-14-2012, 02:49 AM
As far as the plates go, no. The rule is that you can pull the plate off your old car as long as you transfer them with registries within 14 days of the bill of sale. You're taking a risk if you do it.

ercchry
10-14-2012, 03:34 AM
the plate isnt a big deal, i've talked my way out of that one once or twice ;) plus only a $100 fine with no consequences after that

more so insurance. biggest reason is cause we have a few things to move from the old house and possession is monday for the new owners

Cos
10-14-2012, 09:19 AM

guessboi
10-14-2012, 11:20 AM
^ also 14 days for newly acquired vehicle for the insurance. Not 10.

ercchry
10-14-2012, 11:30 AM
so basically if anything happened i'd be fucked for insurance. but if i was pulled over as far as they would know i had sold the mustang

guessboi
10-14-2012, 11:52 AM
if you have PL/PD coverage on your other car, you are covered for the new beater with PL/PD...Just make sure you have that pink card + bill of sale.

If your mustang is sold and you have no other insurance - don't take it back home. You have no insurance.

ercchry
10-14-2012, 12:26 PM
so when Bill reads this i can blame it on you? hahaha

guessboi
10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
14 days rule
http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

See page 12. section 5. Automobile defined - Newly Acquired Vehicle (Page 14/20 in the link below)

GOnSHO
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
just talked to my mom, she was a branch manager at an insurance company...

As long as you take your insurance, registration and plate from your "summer car" (mustang?) and have the bill of sale from the "winter beater" with you, you shouldnt have any issues with driving the winter car.

on monday, call your insurance agency and add the winter beater, put all of your stuff back in the mustang after you have all new papers for the winter beater

...... i repeat...

Mibz
10-14-2012, 08:34 PM
The linked PDF specifically states that it only applies to a replacement vehicle or if the insured has a policy which covers "all cars", not specific ones.

(b) A Newly Acquired Automobile - an automobile, ownership of which is acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of its delivery to him, notified to the Insurer in respect of which the insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile described in the application or the Insurer insures ... all automobiles owned by the Insured at such delivery date and in respect of which the Insured pays any additional premium required;
He's not replacing a vehicle, he hasn't notified his insurance company and he doesn't currently pay for that vehicle to be insured.

He will likely get fucked and, IMO, isn't worth the risk.

syb65
10-14-2012, 09:50 PM
what you're asking doesn't even make logical sense. why would your insurance company pay for something that they don't have to in case you get in an accident?! that's why u pay for a transit permit or a tow truck; because there is insurance in both instances. please notify your insurance company before you move your vehicle, and maybe make a really unfortunate and bad decision for someone else. pls keep our streets SAFE.

Cos
10-14-2012, 10:17 PM

ercchry
10-14-2012, 11:11 PM
guy dropped it off for me in the end. life is good!

2Legit2Quit
10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah never drive without insurance obvs, but I've been in this situation in the past when I was younger. Bought a car on a Sunday, everything was closed insurance/registry wise, had a plate available so I thought it would be ok to drive it home. Ended up getting pulled over by the awesome luck of a cop randomly deciding to run my plate and saw it was registered to an older car of mine. Showed him my bill of sale and said I just bought the car 15 minutes ago.

No fucks were given, car towed, fined for no insurance and improper use of license plate. Got the car out of the impound, went to court and got the no insurance dropped down to $500. Learned my lesson, dumb teenager mistake.

Any time I'm buying a car on the weekend, if there's a very strong chance I'm buying it, I just contact my rep and let him know that I am most likely buying the vehicle and ask for a days insurance, give him the vin and he emails me the pink slip so I'm legal and can get it registered if I buy on a Saturday. Then take care of getting it added onto my policy on Monday.

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Wow, lots of bad / inaccurate information in the thread.

ercchry, sorry for the late reply, I've been sick in bed all weekend and haven't been online.

The insurance would not have been a problem because you met the crucial qualifiers:

- All of your insurance MUST be with the same company (obviously you & I are the only ones that could know that for sure).

- The lowest coverage of any of your vehicles on your policy would have been what applied to the new vehicle but since you have full coverage on everything, you would have received full coverage on the new vehicle (until you & I chatted and altered it).

Now the registration is a slightly different story and Dannie is the one that has it right. IF AND ONLY IF the plate you're taking off the Mustang (current car) is going to STAY on the new vehicle, then you have the 14 day grace. However in your case because you are going to leave the Mustang insured it technically would have been against the law to use that plate on the truck for the purpose of getting it home. With that said, I think most cops would let it slide and I've probably done this in the past myself.

Mibz
10-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
- The lowest coverage of any of your vehicles on your policy would have been what applied to the new vehicle but since you have full coverage on everything, you would have received full coverage on the new vehicle (until you & I chatted and altered it). How long does that last?

G-ZUS
10-15-2012, 10:45 AM

ercchry, sorry for the late reply, I've been sick in bed all weekend and haven't been online.

The insurance would not have been a problem because you met the crucial qualifiers:

- All of your insurance MUST be with the same company (obviously you & I are the only ones that could know that for sure).

- The lowest coverage of any of your vehicles on your policy would have been what applied to the new vehicle but since you have full coverage on everything, you would have received full coverage on the new vehicle (until you & I chatted and altered it).

Say I have 2 cars

1) Regular daily driver insured with company A
2) Weekend "classic" car insured through company B

If I sold car 1 and bought another car to replace it on the weekend, I wouldn't be covered?

codetrap
10-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Man. This makes me happy that I always get the VIN in advance, call up my insurance company and just put insurance on the car BEFORE I pick it up.

Seems a little planning goes a LONG way.

ercchry
10-15-2012, 11:13 AM
i like to impulse buy :D

G-ZUS
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i like to impulse buy :D

:werd:

guessboi
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Man. This makes me happy that I always get the VIN in advance, call up my insurance company and just put insurance on the car BEFORE I pick it up.

Seems a little planning goes a LONG way.

+1 this is the best way to do it.

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
How long does that last?

14 days from the date on the bill of sale.

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Say I have 2 cars

1) Regular daily driver insured with company A
2) Weekend "classic" car insured through company B

If I sold car 1 and bought another car to replace it on the weekend, I wouldn't be covered?

That would qualify as a temporary substitution and as such the coverage that was on the original car follows through to the new car. In this case you can also run the plates from the old car to the new one. The difference being that it's a substitution, not an addition.

Mibz
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
14 days from the date on the bill of sale. Now what about when I have car insurance with one company and bike insurance with another?

ercchry
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Now what about when I have car insurance with one company and bike insurance with another?

then you go to jail, bad boy

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Now what about when I have car insurance with one company and bike insurance with another?

All of this pertains to private passenger vehicles, not rec vehicles like motorcycles.

Mibz
10-15-2012, 12:55 PM
So, since all my cars are with one company, if I were to go out and buy 6 new cars today they'd all have two weeks worth of insurance equivalent to the lowest coverage on my policy?

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 01:08 PM
So, since all my cars are with one company, if I were to go out and buy 6 new cars today they'd all have two weeks worth of insurance equivalent to the lowest coverage on my policy?

Yep.

Mibz
10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
<3

Cos
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM

ercchry
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I stand corrected. I wonder how many more threads we are going to have like this.

will depend on how many more times Bill gets sick :rofl:

Masked Bandit
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

will depend on how many more times Bill gets sick :rofl:

There WILL come a day when I walk away from this business too. Sadly I think that's probably 20+ years from now.
:(

dannie
10-15-2012, 04:04 PM

Now the registration is a slightly different story and Dannie is the one that has it right. IF AND ONLY IF the plate you're taking off the Mustang (current car) is going to STAY on the new vehicle, then you have the 14 day grace. However in your case because you are going to leave the Mustang insured it technically would have been against the law to use that plate on the truck for the purpose of getting it home. With that said, I think most cops would let it slide and I've probably done this in the past myself.

Lol I love seeing that I'm right, in writing :D lol

At the end of the day tho, there will be more threads like this because the information is confusing to most people. We get this scenario a couple times a day.