PDA

View Full Version : 2013 shelby gt500 - any reviews?

googe
10-14-2012, 01:30 PM
I've never been a big mustang fan, but 662 hp stock for the price is a pretty amazing deal. My warranty on the G37 is up and it feels like time to change cars.

Anyone driven one? How does it compare to other cars in its class? Does it handle terribly like previous mustangs? :rofl:

It rains a lot here...if the rear end can't stick, I'm gonna have a bad time. At least no snow though :thumbsup:

blackpeople
10-14-2012, 03:34 PM
My best friend was one of the first in the city to get one. I must say the car is an absolute monster. The car is one of the meanest cars i have ever been in that cost under 100g. The car handles very well for a solid rear end car. If you are use to tracking vettes and 911s you wont be overly impressed with this cars handling. The car does suffer from brake fade after a couple high mph hard braking, however i think some upgraded pads would fix that. You have to keep in mind the car wasn't really made for that kind of use. Where the car shines like no other is in the raw horsepower area. The amount of power the car makes is just outrageous. When the car had 500kms on it we put it on the dyno and it make 602Rrwhp we later took it to race in Edmonton and it ran 11:6@125 and that's just insane for a stock car. If you dont spend the time to read the instruction manual and just turn the trac control off the car will be a handful. If you enable the launch control and get everything sorted out then it is the easiest race car you can buy. Set the launch, hold clutch and gas to the floor, side step clutch and the car does the rest. It launches the car better than any human can. When it comes to ride quality it seems really soft and comfortable to me. The car also has adjustability with the bilstein shocks. But i am not picky. I can tell you though in my opinion it drives lots smoother than an R35. The new 2013 is in its own league. It is far superior to the 2012 Shelby. My suggestion is that you go and drive one because words cant describe the smile that will be on your face when you open it up on the highway. However everyone looks for different things when they purchase a sports car.

Redlined_8000
10-14-2012, 04:23 PM
^^ Nice input

georgemagana
10-14-2012, 05:12 PM
There is a few reviews by motortrend and a few other magazines that compare it to the ZL1. Awesome car for sure!

gpomp
10-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by georgemagana
There is a few reviews by motortrend and a few other magazines that compare it to the ZL1. Awesome car for sure! doesn't the ZL1 beat it in every comparison test?

cam_wmh
10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
doesn't the ZL1 beat it in every comparison test?

cywhAuuM-_U

Cos
10-14-2012, 07:59 PM

georgemagana
10-14-2012, 08:17 PM
I remember watching a comparison between the 2 and the preferred the ZL1! I obviouly had better handling and better brakes!

blackpeople
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
In all honesty the brakes shouldn't be a deal breaker for most because i don't think most of you will drive the car anywhere close to that limit. This is based of the holier than thou attitude i see on this forum. For the people that like spirited driving i am sure you will end up upgrading pads when the factory ones wear out because when it comes to pads a set of hawks are usually cheaper than oem. As for the handling the gt500 is just a hand full with all that raw power and torque. That is the 2 edged source with all that power. Remember the gt500 and the boss 302 have the same solid rear end but the boss can hang with the zl1 in the corners.

georgemagana
10-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I was only replying from what I remembered about the reviews. I honestly couldnt care less about brakes haha and I dont think theres a car that would be as fun as the GT500 for the money! The 302 is really nice as well :thumbsup:

Aleks
10-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Other way around.

Not according to Car and Driver. Even though it's slower they picked the ZL1 over the GT500. They say the Chevy is more fun to drive.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test-review

gpomp
10-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Not according to Car and Driver. Even though it's slower they picked the ZL1 over the GT500. They say the Chevy is more fun to drive.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test-review

Seems like that's the consensus between the major car magazines. But I'm sure once rage2 buys a GT500, it will be the best car in the world regardless of what they say. :)

After three rounds, the winner, by a closer margin than we ever expected, is the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1206_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_shelby_gt500/viewall.html

That said, the Camaro ZL1 objectively feels like the all-around victor.
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1206_2012_chevrolet_camaro_zl1_vs_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_on_road/viewall.html

1st Place: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
An unrivaled combination of precise control, ample power and a strikingly refined — and multitalented — chassis.
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/camaro/2012/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test.html

M.alex
10-15-2012, 12:51 AM
No 03/04 cobra, no care.

quorum
10-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I've read the reviews, and in the Motortrend "Best Driver's Car 2012" the GT500 comes fourth in both the track time and drag time, only beaten by the Mclaren, Lambo and GT-R (and beating cars like the AMG, Porsche 911s, ZL1). It only lost out in brakes, and I think a serious track racer is going to install DOT4 brake fluid and track pads and that problem is solved.

And that is the concensus with all the magazine reviews. Sure the ZL1 wins the overall review, but loses in virtually all the test numbers.

Which would you prefer, to "win" or to lose but "feel confident"? I get the whole "makes the driver feel confident" thing, and it makes the car more fun to drive, but in the end if you're still going to lose then what's the real value of "feeling more confident"? If the confidence doesn't lead to better track times then "confidence" has no real-world value, and I think all the magazine reviewers seem to miss this point.

googe
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
The feeling confident thing is actually pretty important to me. I don't care about "winning" at all really. Someone else always has a better car/more money so that's an endless pursuit. And there won't be many chances to push it against another driver unless you're doing very bad things on public roads.

The reviews say that they (professional drivers) were nervous about handling it on less than perfect roads. I've seen so many guys lose the rear end of their mustangs over the years that it would make me worried about "spirited driving" on a lot of back roads or in the mountains. I'm sure it's just been bad luck/bad driving but it seems to be easier to lose control of than a lot of other cars, and having to visit your cousin in the hospital makes you think twice. If it felt sketchy, I know I wouldn't push it, and that kinda makes it a waste.

But even still, I just don't like the ZL1. I'll probably end up with the GT500 or just hold out another year. Maybe next year they will fix the suspension :)

Q: Does it need independent rear suspension or has the SVT team made significant improvements to the live axle that make it ride and handle quite well as a daily driver and a track monster?

A: The Shelby treads a very fine line in this area. SVT has done a great job at minimizing the traits associated with old school live axle cars. On the other hand, not a day will go by where you don’t hit a bump somewhere and remember that yes, there is a solid axle back there. On rough pavement, or if you hit a bump while on the power, the back end will take a hop on you, and you had better be prepared. The traction control does a great job dealing with this while going straight, but if that bump happens to occur in a fast bend, be prepared to react, because if you don’t, the car will bite you. I do think that this vehicle is the absolute limit of what that solid axle can handle as a road car.

ercchry
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
if you want good handling more than ridiculous power, just get a boss 302 and save a couple bucks :dunno:

even my base mustang with only lowering springs handles rather well. if you leave the electronic assists on you will feel very confidant. even on the iciest days last year i had no issues bombing down the highway at 130 even with my shitty eurowinter tires

Xtrema
10-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you want good handling more than ridiculous power, just get a boss 302 and save a couple bucks :dunno:

That's basically what Jay said in a recent review of Boss 302.

cam_wmh
10-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by googe Maybe next year they will fix the suspension :) [/B]

Totally.. it's only been what? 50 years?

SideSwipe
10-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

even my base mustang with only lowering springs handles rather well. if you leave the electronic assists on you will feel very confidant. even on the iciest days last year i had no issues bombing down the highway at 130 even with my shitty eurowinter tires

This. A 302 could be considered because it's one hell of a car for the price. You get 90% of the thrills without any of the drawbacks really... OP said they needed wet weather traction. But the GT500 can be daily driven pretty comfortably without getting yourself in trouble and ending up ass backwards into a tree.

I would take motortrend, car and driver, and autoblog reviews with a grain of sand. They say some shit about properly good cars that makes me shake my head.

Ekliptix
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Boss with 12psi booth + meth. Solution found.

95teetee
10-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Not according to Car and Driver.
in other words, Chevrolet's cheque was bigger.

googe
10-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by SideSwipe

This. A 302 could be considered because it's one hell of a car for the price. You get 90% of the thrills without any of the drawbacks really...

It's not a bad car, but 444 HP is actually more like 67% of the thrills ;)

Originally posted by Ekliptix
Boss with 12psi booth + meth. Solution found.

You'd end up spending the same amount but have no warranty. I don't think I see the advantage there.

BTW, apparently in 2014 the MY015 Mustang redesign actually is getting independent rear suspension. With that and the fact that there is a new platform altogether, it's a tough call on waiting/buying now...

InRich
10-17-2012, 12:28 AM
I gotta say, the Mustang has really come ALONG way, and I'm liking the new designs, esp the converts. I still wouldnt take one of a vette though, but I'm seriously impressed. Far as the camero goes.. anyone been in one lately? the inside is pure garbage. gauges, seats, touch and feel, its all super cheap. I wouldnt drive one if they gave it to me for free.

Toma
10-17-2012, 01:05 AM
A friend of mine has a plain 5.0 Coyote Mustang.

Headers, tune, 2.9l whipple. Eats GT500's, and ran 11.2@132 mph for about half the money of the heavy GT500.

The GT500 is a nice car though. Hard to beat for "off the showroom" performance., and adding 60 to 70 hp is apparently easy.

SideSwipe
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by googe

It's not a bad car, but 444 HP is actually more like 67% of the thrills ;)

true.
But you don't use all 600hp 24/7. Or maybe you're a lead footed hooligan and you do :burnout:
In which case, the GT500 is for you.

You can wait for the next big thing, but you'll always be waiting for the next big thing. Stuff gets changed every year, sometime small sometimes large. But chances are, you wont get to buy a 600+hp factory ford mustang for very long.

If you're dead set on tracking it, wait for the IRS. That is, if your primary concern is road racing, wait for the IRS and (maybe) increased price. If not, then just buy whats out now and be happy with it if it's really want you want. You will be happy... I mean it's a stupid fast car. You'll have a permanent shit eating grin on your face till the day you die.

95teetee
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Toma
A friend of mine has a plain 5.0 Coyote Mustang.

Headers, tune, 2.9l whipple. Eats GT500's, and ran 11.2@132 mph for about half the money of the heavy GT500.
a firiend of mine here in Drum put down over 600 hp with a blown 5.0.
I didn't even know he had a blower on it until I saw the 'supercharged' script under the '5.0' on the side. When he caught up to me:angel:

...yes, he missed a shift:D

edit- well, actually I knew when I heard the BOV from a little behind me lol.

calgary350z
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I love my Boss 302 and I had a 2011 track pck GT500. Much better driver and actually faster than the 550 HP gt500 in most cases. The 2013 beats it with just sheer power of course.

All I can say is cant wait for spring as I am getting the Hellion twin turbo kit for my car.Takes it easily to 750-800 hp with quite a bit of savings over a new gt500. That should surprise a few gt500 and Zl1 owners.:D

95teetee
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by calgary350z
I love my Boss 302 and I had a 2011 track pck GT500. Much better driver and actually faster than the 550 HP gt500 in most cases. The 2013 beats it with just sheer power of course.

All I can say is cant wait for spring as I am getting the Hellion twin turbo kit for my car.Takes it easily to 750-800 hp with quite a bit of savings over a new gt500. That should surprise a few gt500 and Zl1 owners.:D wow- and surprise a lot of 'everything else' owners too I would think

Cos
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM

calgary350z
10-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos
With 285's in the rear you wont be able to use 500hp let alone 650. I would go with the Boss if that is what you would prefer.

yeah i agree thats why i had custom made 10.5" rears made to put more of the power down. I will run slicks for track days with the turbo setup for sure.

Cos
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM

googe
10-18-2012, 03:10 AM
Looks like prospective buyers have a while to think about it anyway. The only dealer here in Seattle with a car has it marked up by like 15k. Apparently dealer markups on it are still common. I'll either pay below MSRP or not get one, because I'm sure they're gonna drop in value quickly after the hype dies down.