PDA

View Full Version : 'CPTNSLW' Golf R!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

flipstah
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5GlYuzCIAApsyR.jpg

New owner of a 2013 Golf R in Rising Blue and right away, I'm loving my purchase!

She pulls hard and is comfy too! The clutch is a bit deep but it's all about getting used to it. :thumbsup:

I stalled a lot yesterday but today was a good day. :)

I plan to do some mods on it in the future but right now, I'm going to enjoy the great stock action and do a proper 'break-in'.

I was skeptical of getting a Volkswagen because of the electrical gremlins but when I test-drove the GTi with the DSG today, I immediately was in love with everything and threw down my order for an R.

So stay tuned and perhaps, all of you wizards will teach me the VW way as I started with a Mitsubishi and know my car inside and out.

I will definitely be asking about engine mods, chip tuning, etc. etc.

For now, here are the mods I had in mind (EDIT as of Feb 9 2013):
- Stage 1 ECU flash (Done by Concept1 using APR; Oct 19, 2012)
- Soundaktor Delete (Feb. 9, 2013)
- Stage 1+ with high pressure fuel pump upgrade
- Titanium vs. Stainless Steel exhaust system
- Carbonio vs. Volkswagen Racing Intake
- LED tail lights (Installed)
- Interior improvements (Gauge cluster, carbon fiber trim, new shifter/short shift kit maybe)
- Haldex Competiton Controller (Installed)
- H&R Sport Springs (Installed)
- 19x8.5 Volk LE37 ET35/Hankook V12 235/35/19 with fender screw mod (Summer setup)

Enjoy this thread and see what transpires! :thumbsup:

flipstah
10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Right off the bat, I'm thinking of doing this for the summer after I put more storage space in:

hOsGnd7O-Ds

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I love these cars...great choice..keep us posted.

rage2
10-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Break it in hard if you want to get the most out of the car.

flipstah
10-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Break it in hard if you want to get the most out of the car.

Any recommendations? I still have half a tank and a lot of road at night. :devil:

Cos
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM

BMW Power
10-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Haha, nice car and nice plate! Bumped into Captain slow and the rest of the TG crew a few months ago :)

zipdoa
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Cos
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Meant for motorbikes but I have broken in all my new cars/motors this way and all have been awesome.

Yup. Audi tech on Quattroworld forums recommends this as well.

Mibz
10-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Meant for motorbikes but I have broken in all my new cars/motors this way and all have been awesome. +1 for this

Also look into new side mirrors. You can't get rid of the blind spot on new Golfs, as you've probably noticed.

Hallowed_point
10-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice new ride flipstah!! Those sound beast with the aftermarket exhaust :drool:

EM1FTW
10-14-2012, 09:51 PM
look into the APR turbo back for that thing! looks slick and it sounds like a jet at WOT!

Darkane
10-14-2012, 10:35 PM
+a lot for hard break-ins.

Built a D16 for boost, broke it in hard. Perfect 150 across all 4 even after 30k. Still going strong.

Broke in my '08 civic Si hard. Dyno'd at 180 WHP bone stock with 500km's. Also ran 90mph at racecity last year stock at 25C.

going to do all my new engines this way now.

Dj_Stylz
10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

flipstah
10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Meant for motorbikes but I have broken in all my new cars/motors this way and all have been awesome.

Originally posted by Darkane
+a lot for hard break-ins.

Built a D16 for boost, broke it in hard. Perfect 150 across all 4 even after 30k. Still going strong.

Broke in my '08 civic Si hard. Dyno'd at 180 WHP bone stock with 500km's. Also ran 90mph at racecity last year stock at 25C.

going to do all my new engines this way now.

Did this for a couple of hours right now. Drove it on Stoney Trail, Deerfoot, to feel the pull and cruised; then diversified onto street usage with stop-and-go. Then back on Deerfoot for quick shifts and cruising.

Earlier today, drove it NE->downtown->NE->downtown; burning gas and getting used to the clutch.

'Twas fun!

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Nice new ride flipstah!! Those sound beast with the aftermarket exhaust :drool:

Originally posted by EM1FTW
look into the APR turbo back for that thing! looks slick and it sounds like a jet at WOT!

I'm still researching but it's either APR or GIAC for a exhaust/chip combination so far for me.

Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Please say hi if you see me!

:)

Redlyne_mr2
10-14-2012, 11:59 PM
btw anymore pics? worst build thread for pics ever lol. :D

gpomp
10-15-2012, 12:19 AM
cool car, can't wait to see if vw will put a dsg in it. not sure if i like the 4 cylinder exhaust note compared to the old vr6's though.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Nice choice, a little bit different than that GT500 you were thinking about or a Vette :P

killramos
10-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Are the r's still for sale? I never looked into them because I was under the impression they had sold out...

That's what I get for not actually asking a salesman...

flipstah
10-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
btw anymore pics? worst build thread for pics ever lol. :D

Haha no pics till this weekend because I spent Saturday and Sunday learning to drive stick.

Day 1 was stallworthy but I got the hang of it after a day. The clutch is very deep; friction point is about an inch or two away from the floor. Reversing is still tricking me out.

Originally posted by gpomp
cool car, can't wait to see if vw will put a dsg in it. not sure if i like the 4 cylinder exhaust note compared to the old vr6's though.

The V6 bellow sounds better but I'd rather have a peppier, lighter 4-banger that produces more power than the V6 (sans mods, of course.)

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Nice choice, a little bit different than that GT500 you were thinking about or a Vette :P

When my hockey bag couldn't fit, I lost hope. :(

Originally posted by killramos
Are the r's still for sale? I never looked into them because I was under the impression they had sold out...

That's what I get for not actually asking a salesman...

All the R's are spoken for in Northland and Fifth Ave. Maybe one fell apart from financing? Unknown status for the south location.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2012, 08:37 AM
I see you bought it from Northland, who was your sales person?

flipstah
10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I see you bought it from Northland, who was your sales person?

Oliver. Very awesome to deal with and a great guy overall. :thumbsup:

So that I don't become a social pariah, can someone explain to me the difference between Co-op 91 and Shell 91?

It's between those two because:

- I know that Husky loves ethanol blend so no go and Husky, Petro-Can and Esso are just too far for me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Its the amount of additives and cleaners they use in the fuel, I would highly recommend Shell 91, I use it in my 135i, or at the very least Petro/Esso 91 because they are top tier fuels as well. Stay away from other brands.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Its the amount of additives and cleaners they use in the fuel, I would highly recommend Shell 91, I use it in my 135i, or at the very least Petro/Esso 91 because they are top tier fuels as well. Stay away from other brands.

Oh okay. Co-op gas has treated our family well with our Volvo and my current car...

For the VW enthusiasts, anyone know a decent place for OEM Euro parts? I need shelves first. :banghead:

Heru-Farukon
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Oh okay. Co-op gas has treated our family well with our Volvo and my current car...

That maybe be true. But non of the family cars run turbo and use regular 87.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Heru-Farukon

That maybe be true. But non of the family cars run turbo and use regular 87.

Ugh... I'm tempted to run a 'taste' test of sorts. It won't be to the extent to what rage2 did but with Co-op vs. Shell and mileage comparison.

Aleks
10-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Shell 91

Airmiles plus you will get awsome mileage with it too. Where does Coop get their gas from?

Heru-Farukon
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Shell 91

Airmiles plus you will get awsome mileage with it too. Where does Coop get their gas from?

From what flipstah told me coop outsources their gas from shell

flipstah
10-15-2012, 09:38 AM

From what flipstah told me coop outsources their gas from shell

Yes that is what I heard but some locations.

darthVWader
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM

For the VW enthusiasts, anyone know a decent place for OEM Euro parts? I need shelves first. :banghead:

I use these guys. http://www.ecstuning.com/ (UPS bs and all) quick turnaround and good product.

One thing you should do is look up all your bulb numbers and build a spare bulb box and leave it in your car. If one headlight goes be sure to know the other is going to go very soon after.
Spare brake, marker and licence plate lights and so on.

Sorry had my brain turned off.

DeleriousZ
10-15-2012, 10:56 AM

Not sure about OEM parts, but check Concept 1 for APR stuff. They're "APR Canada" so they will hook you up :). They should be able to get oem stuff, but I don't know how well they can do for pricing.

Shell 91 is also ethanol free

flipstah
10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by darthVWader

I use these guys. (UPS bs and all) quick turnaround and good product.

One thing you should do is look up all your bulb numbers and build a spare bulb box and leave it in your car. If one headlight goes be sure to know the other is going to go very soon after.
Spare brake, marker and licence plate lights and so on.

Sorry, which guys? I see no link.

The ones I've scouted online for OEM parts include:

- OEMPlus
- ECS Tuning
- Redline Motorworks

Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Not sure about OEM parts, but check Concept 1 for APR stuff. They're "APR Canada" so they will hook you up :). They should be able to get oem stuff, but I don't know how well they can do for pricing.

Shell 91 is also ethanol free

Concept1, eh? Will check out. Thanks!

:)

ducaudi
10-15-2012, 11:18 AM
+1 for ECS Tuning and OEMPlus

max_boost
10-15-2012, 11:22 AM
So cool! Welcome to the VW clan!:clap:

Sorath
10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
whenever i buy a new car, i always test between husky 94 and shell 91, some cars like husky better, some like shell better, i do my final decision by seeing which one has better gas milage

flipstah
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
whenever i buy a new car, i always test between husky 94 and shell 91, some cars like husky better, some like shell better, i do my final decision by seeing which one has better gas milage

Husky 94? Mine's not tuned for 94 and I feel that it would be a waste of gas for me.

Do you do a week-long or one day test for mileage?

flipstah
10-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
+1 for this

Also look into new side mirrors. You can't get rid of the blind spot on new Golfs, as you've probably noticed.

I actually noticed this as well. The side mirrors are oddly shapped and creates a bizarre blind-spot.

Thinking of upgrading to aspherical mirrors:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8155/7139523859_b43cd5093b_c.jpg

My_name_is_Rob
10-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Do you do a week-long or one day test for mileage?

Wouldn't it be easier to do just a full tank test?

PS. That is a SICK color! :poosie:

flipstah
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

Wouldn't it be easier to do just a full tank test?

PS. That is a SICK color! :poosie:

Oh for sure but some people (like me) have OCD and want a weekly average, which is what I will do to approach things.

Thanks!

Some quotes from online retailers,

ECS:
http://i.imgur.com/FOlUS.png

OEMPlus:
http://i.imgur.com/gczJx.png

OEMPlus had more selection for parts but most of them are backordered. If some local shops can match or beat this quote *coughcoughTunerworkscoughcough*, HOLLA AT YOUR BOY! :guns:

Sorath
10-15-2012, 12:45 PM
gas tank tests...

btw i found out that most of my turbo cars liked 94 husky better.

evo/sti/skyline
with the exception to my 335

however my NA cars preferred Shell 91

so definately compare and see which one is best

Kg810
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM

Some quotes from online retailers,

ECS:
http://i.imgur.com/FOlUS.png

OEMPlus:
http://i.imgur.com/gczJx.png

OEMPlus had more selection for parts but most of them are backordered. If some local shops can match or beat this quote *coughcoughTunerworkscoughcough*, HOLLA AT YOUR BOY! :guns:

PM Natty on Eurodrivers. If he can get his hands on it, it'll be cheaper than ECS/OEM+ and Tunerworks.

I just bought some stuff off him last weekend.

ducaudi
10-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Funny, Natty gave a sick quote for me a few weeks ago, I've yet to jump on it. Waaaayyy better than going to stealerships if you're looking for OEM parts. Didn't know he could get other stuff. Probably look into that in the future.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
gas tank tests...

btw i found out that most of my turbo cars liked 94 husky better.

evo/sti/skyline
with the exception to my 335

however my NA cars preferred Shell 91

so definately compare and see which one is best

Thanks, dude. I'll definitely test it out and provide some results here.

Originally posted by Kg810

PM Natty on Eurodrivers. If he can get his hands on it, it'll be cheaper than ECS/OEM+ and Tunerworks.

I just bought some stuff off him last weekend.

Nice. :bigpimp:

flipstah
10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Booked for tint this Friday @ Shadow Tinting. :burnout:

Kg810
10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
:( keep the fishbowl

flipstah
10-15-2012, 04:19 PM
:( keep the fishbowl

:confused:

Explain yourself! Why no tint?!

Heru-Farukon
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I think he's talking about the mirrors?

bigbadboss101
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
No his eyelashes!!

Disoblige
10-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I can never drive a DD ever again without tint in Calgary. Too many SUVs/Trucks with HIDs in the early morning.

Limo tint in the back and it's still noticeable, not including the reflection of the light bouncing from the side mirrors.

Kg810
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM

:confused:

Explain yourself! Why no tint?!

I guess it depends what you're going for. I just prefer no tint cause it's cleaner and tint brings unwanted attention.

What % are you going with?

I think he's talking about the mirrors?

Nope, the blind spot mirrors are a great mod and I highly recommend them haha. Tint on the other hand I'm not really a fan of.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

I didn't know it was SO CHEAP!

Stage 1 flash or tint?! :rofl:

Kg810
10-15-2012, 04:42 PM
FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

I didn't know it was SO CHEAP!

Stage 1 flash or tint?! :rofl:

Stage 1 flash without question.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Stage 1 flash without question.

My car has <300kms in it yet... It would be a bit premature to get it flashed now.

Not broken in yet. Looks like I'll have to do some catch-up and drive a lot this week. :bigpimp:

Cos
10-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Kg810
10-15-2012, 05:43 PM

My car has &lt;300kms in it yet... It would be a bit premature to get it flashed now.

Not broken in yet. Looks like I'll have to do some catch-up and drive a lot this week. :bigpimp:

I think you just missed the APR sale that ended yesterday, so yeah, just keep breaking her in :burnout:

nickyh
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Next APR sale will be Spring so while you are waiting please put the money into the led tails, they were on my car the minute i drove my gti off the lot.

I use 94 Husky in the spring / summer when i'm on my 93 program but i've switched back to stock mode for the impending snow that will fall, otherwise i try and use Shell 91.

flipstah
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Run till 1000/1500 and do the first oil change. Then flash it. I wouldnt do it until it is past the first change and it is past the majority of the break in.

You have to remember you also have to break in your clutch, tranny, difs, bearings, etc. It isnt just the motor.

I think you just missed the APR sale that ended yesterday, so yeah, just keep breaking her in :burnout:

Originally posted by nickyh
Next APR sale will be Spring so while you are waiting please put the money into the led tails, they were on my car the minute i drove my gti off the lot.

I use 94 Husky in the spring / summer when i'm on my 93 program but i've switched back to stock mode for the impending snow that will fall, otherwise i try and use Shell 91.

So it looks like I'll wait it out but will be talking to the experts about the benefits of the stages and comparing price vs. performance for the vendors.

I'm just gonna enjoy her for now. :)

DeleriousZ
10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
For reals, talk to Curtis or Andrew (or even Ken) at concept and they'll fill you in about the APR stuff.

They have a 500+hp golf R sitting in their shop collecting dust, I'm sure they'd take you for a ride if you asked real nice and were serious about flashing your ecu ;)

flipstah
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
For reals, talk to Curtis or Andrew (or even Ken) at concept and they'll fill you in about the APR stuff.

They have a 500+hp golf R sitting in their shop collecting dust, I'm sure they'd take you for a ride if you asked real nice and were serious about flashing your ecu ;)

I have a meeting with Ken on Friday. :burnout:

nickyh
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Dont do it...... (yet) trust me, once you've been shown the power of the APR tune it's a drug you can't say no to.

I gave one guy who was not sure about the flash a ride in my car, I had him sold in less than 5 min. His car had less than 1,000km and when he got back from the states a week later he chipped.

Edit: but the guys at Concept are awesome :thumbsup:

mrsingh
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Damn Don, great choice!

ekguy
10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
How have you had this car for days and yet we have no pics???

:confused: :confused: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :( :(

flipstah
10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
How have you had this car for days and yet we have no pics???

:confused: :confused: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :( :(

It's called going to work and having an active social life. :rofl:

I seriously don't have time for a photoshoot until Friday-Saturday.

Here's a picture a friend of mine took on Sunday night:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5QRPQdCEAAqg-W.jpg

ekguy
10-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Excuses excuses. You should be showing this baby off till we ask you to stop posting so many pics.

;) :D :poosie: :drool: :bigpimp:

K3RMiTdot
10-16-2012, 04:34 PM
nice CM Punk T shirt bwahaha. blue looks great

ercchry
10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
is that a VW Routan or are you really that short? :rofl:

Heru-Farukon
10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Ahah he's really short ^

flipstah
10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
is that a VW Routan or are you really that short? :rofl:

LOL I'm 5'6 and I'm leaning!

Ahah he's really short ^

You're not that tall yourself, chief. :poosie:

Sorath
10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
brotherly love......... :rofl:

Heru-Farukon
10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
brotherly love......... :rofl:
:facepalm:

flipstah
10-16-2012, 05:05 PM

:facepalm:

Quit spamming my thread! :guns:

lilmira
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Are you related to this older, I mean mature white eh I mean north american caucasion male driving a silver civic with a "CPNSLOW" plate? Just saw it today, the plate caught my eyes lol.

beyond_ban
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
James May?

lilmira
10-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Haha no, unless he had an haircut recently.

flipstah
10-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Are you related to this older, I mean mature white eh I mean north american caucasion male driving a silver civic with a &quot;CPNSLOW&quot; plate? Just saw it today, the plate caught my eyes lol.

Haha no I am not.

EDIT: Filled it up today with Co-op 91. Will report on mileage results and engine performance.

flipstah
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Just got Stage 1 complete today through Concept1 and I'll be heading to Banff to get rid of the 92.5 blend I have going on.

Pics:

The industrial pics were a fluke. I got lost looking for the Mohawk station in the SE (nearest 94 octane station around) and I found this quaint spot:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2391_zps766c783b.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2392_zps3b332b03.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2394_zps0648f23e.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2395_zps29bb1371.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2399_zpsfe235120.jpg

flipstah
10-19-2012, 01:15 PM
MOAR:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2401_zps6568a187.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2402_zps2f193aac.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2403_zps722a595a.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2404_zps69cdda31.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2407_zpsd206cd45.jpg

flipstah
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Finally:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2409_zps205a56ef.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2410_zps9faed83d.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2419_zps3fdcd23f.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2425_zps9315c338.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2433_zps0affb5db.jpg

KRyn
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Awesome purchase! Super clean and I love the colour choice! Those seats look comfortable! What kind of difference have you noticed between stock and the stage 1 tune? Any plans for more basic bolt-ons next season (exhaust, intake)? I guess what I am asking is what can you do while still keeping your warranty! :devil:

danno
10-19-2012, 01:47 PM
the warranty is gone with the chip, mine was at least. southcentre fine cars found it. not sure if you need it but my car needed a catch can when i went stage 1. it cracked my valve cover. other than that it mines been perfect

Dj_Stylz
10-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Saw you driving yesterday looks good:thumbsup:

diamondedge
10-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Way to take my photoshoot suggestion locations to heart Don, haha.

Looks good man, I'm super jelly.

EM1FTW
10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Car looks good!
I put that plate frame on it too hahaha! :thumbsup:

flipstah
10-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Awesome purchase! Super clean and I love the colour choice! Those seats look comfortable! What kind of difference have you noticed between stock and the stage 1 tune? Any plans for more basic bolt-ons next season (exhaust, intake)? I guess what I am asking is what can you do while still keeping your warranty! :devil:

I definitely noticed the torque curve. I get way more acceleration now! It doesn't feel delayed one bit! 2nd and 3rd... :drool:

Planning to do a Volkswagen Racing intake and exhaust to get ~330hp, which is MORE than enough for now. Until we get a track that is. :devil:

Also, these seats are quite comfy but I heard the Recaro Euro-spec buckets are even better! $5k though. :(

Originally posted by danno
the warranty is gone with the chip, mine was at least. southcentre fine cars found it. not sure if you need it but my car needed a catch can when i went stage 1. it cracked my valve cover. other than that it mines been perfect

Well, I will be rolling the dice a bit but you gotta pay to play. No catch can yet; that's Stage 1+, I believe.

Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
Saw you driving yesterday looks good:thumbsup:

Originally posted by diamondedge
Way to take my photoshoot suggestion locations to
heart Don, haha.

Looks good man, I'm super jelly.

Car looks good!
I put that plate frame on it too hahaha! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I can't wait for summer 2013. :)

If anyone has more photo locations, let me know!

Some irks that I've found while DD'ing this beast:

- AUX doesn't work if iPod is plugged in
- No voice-activated navigation
- No auto-off headlights
- Clutch friction point is so far but I got used to it
- 5th gear seems like a mile away haha

My_name_is_Rob
10-19-2012, 07:07 PM
MOAR:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2404_zps69cdda31.jpg

I hope you didn't ram bin into wall. :rofl:

EM1FTW
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
You NEED to get the euro spec LED tail lights, totally changes the look of the car!

flipstah
10-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

I hope you didn't ram bin into wall. :rofl:

Definitely gave me a 'WTF" moment when I saw that sign. I HAD(!) to get shots there. :rofl:

Aftermath of my random gas-burning trip to Banff:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2447_zps4e71548b.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2449_zps16bb14d7.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2443_zpsdd580c44.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2450_zps753730ae.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2451_zps5a271a7b.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2452_zps48254a82.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_2441_zpsbb7a4d38.jpg

92.5 octane is almost gone wee! :guns:

Heru-Farukon
10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
^ we don't have enough road to do pulls to waste gas.

ekguy
10-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I usually don't like 4 door cars but damn...that is one sweet vw. hope it's treatin ya right!!

kolumbo69
10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the R club!

flipstah
10-19-2012, 10:24 PM
You NEED to get the euro spec LED tail lights, totally changes the look of the car!

YEEESSSS! I'm on the hunt still. :drool:

danno
10-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Can you fully shut off ESC like was reported or is it like the states where it doesn't fully turn off. I tried talking the wife into looking at the used one, but the responsible thing is to pay off my truck first. Maybe late next year. Why you looking at vw exhaust and intake. I'd personally go miltek or apr.

HiSpec
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Great looking car!

Have you looked into this?
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=534135&postcount=2

flipstah
10-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by danno
Can you fully shut off ESP like was reported or is it like the states where it doesn't fully turn off. I tried talking the wife into looking at the used one, but the responsible thing is to pay off my truck first. Maybe late next year. Why you looking at vw exhaust and intake. I'd personally go miltek or apr.

Yes, you can turn off ESC :)

Im going for the VR intake because it's actually of great quality for an OEM upgrade. You can use it for Stage 2, if you wish.

However, im not married to it and once I've done more research, Ill make an informed decision then.

Originally posted by HiSpec
Great looking car!

Have you looked into this?
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=534135&amp;postcount=2

The VAGCOM is on my wish list because of all the customization i can do! But thanks for the list; didnt know about it!

Edit: The computer might be deceiving and ill know officially after I do another fill and do some math's but im getting better mileage with the chip and 94 octane haha.

EM1FTW
10-21-2012, 09:13 PM

YEEESSSS! I'm on the hunt still. :drool:
concept1 has them in stock!!

flipstah
10-21-2012, 09:27 PM

concept1 has them in stock!!

http://store.concept1.ca/store/product/55011/Taillight-GTI-MK6-Red-W-Fog/

or...

http://store.concept1.ca/store/product/55013/Taillight-GTI-MK6-Cherry-W-Fog/

It'll have to wait when I come back from Asia. :drool:

Summer 2013... Stage 2? :love:

EM1FTW
10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
the plain red ones are from a gti, where as the cherry ones are actual proper golf r tails

flipstah
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
the plain red ones are from a gti, where as the cherry ones are actual proper golf r tails

The LED tail lamps I'm looking for are in this video:

PlIEBGjybA8

I want Calgary to have a track SO BAD. :drool:

DeleriousZ
10-21-2012, 11:41 PM

http://store.concept1.ca/store/product/55011/Taillight-GTI-MK6-Red-W-Fog/

or...

http://store.concept1.ca/store/product/55013/Taillight-GTI-MK6-Cherry-W-Fog/

It'll have to wait when I come back from Asia. :drool:

PPffff stage 2. Skip that and go straight to stage 4 ;)

nickyh
10-22-2012, 07:04 AM

Don't forget, once you go stage 2+ you have to look at a new clutch.... the stock clutch cannot handle stage 2 compared to a DSG vehicle.

I have to admit, seeing your car does make me lust over the R more.

Edit: oh, and here's a picture with my LED tails.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i335/78noname/_DSC0037-crop.jpg

flipstah
10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by nickyh

Don't forget, once you go stage 2+ you have to look at a new clutch.... the stock clutch cannot handle stage 2 compared to a DSG vehicle.

I have to admit, seeing your car does make me lust over the R more.

Edit: oh, and here's a picture with my LED tails.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i335/78noname/_DSC0037-crop.jpg

New clutch? UGGGGHHH.

Looks like just 1+ for now then.

I want those tails...!