PDA

View Full Version : Electrical engineering technologists

Matty_10
10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Looking for some advice from any electrical engineering technologists out there. If you would prefer PM about it let me know if not post up. I'm currently apprenticing as an electrician and I plan to go back to school for EET in little less than 2 years, will anything from being an electrician help me or is it going to be way more advanced, what school is best NAIT, SAIT or SIAST as I live in SK. What's the work like is it designing, mapping out circuits, hands on or more office based as I'm looking to get into the office but also like to do some hands on every now and then, as I know the place I want to work at has a transmission and distribution team and a system test team that goes to the generating stations and requires travelling which I'm wanting to stay away from. Work hours mon-fri, very much overtime, as I'm looking to get into more of a better work life balance and actually be able to do stuff after work. I've probably missed some things so let me know your experiences, thanks.

FraserB
10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Try sending COS a PM.

dirtsniffer
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Not exactly appplicable but my buddy went from being a welder into WET and he was the most desireable candidate in his class by far. He didn't even apply for jobs because different companies were recruiting him before he finished.

Cos
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM

JordanEG6
10-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm in the Engineering/Design side in O&G. Although Cos is correct for the most part, I prefer the smaller EPC companies as opposed to the large ones (Worley, Jacobs, Amec, Fluor etc.)

Working in large teams (200+) in an assembly line fashion doing one thing for a long period of time gets extremely boring, especially in an office setting. Smaller companies give you a chance to grow as a designer as you get to touch on various, if not all, aspects of the job. Because the group you are working with is alot smaller, you basically touch base with everything in both design and drafting - compressor stations, storage, distribution, control/PLC/DCS, cable trays, switchgears etc. in small, medium and large gas plants, well sites and refineries. It also helps that you're more in touch with the company itself and with your superiors as they are there everyday, most of times available to help you with whatever you need.

Alot of the main design is AutoCAD based as most drawing packages are done in CAD or some sort of CAD software. Depending where you want to do with your career you can do anything from design/drafting, programming, engineering to strictly design, purchasing to pull these packages together.

As for the life in an office setting, I kinda like it, its quiet and relaxed. Most companies are very flexible on hours as long as you make 40 hrs/week. I can come in anywhere from 6am-9am. If there is work available, I can come in for a few hours on weekends for OT if I want. Fortunately for me, my company doesn't have a dress code either, which I like.

Other than visiting plants, sites and panel/building shops, there isn't much labor work. Even if you do go to site, most of it is measuring or observing.

Salary is alright, most people start at $50-60K/yr. Senior designers can make anywhere from $120-200K/yr depending on position (design lead, manager, senior designer, P. Tech etc.).

Hope that helps. Just giving you a short point of view of the design side in smaller to medium sized company.

Matty_10
10-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the great info, and yea I'm looking to get on with Saskpower and I talked one the regional managers and he said starting wage off the street is 39 an hour so not sure what that quite works out to a year. What's the field work like in most places it it going away for week or two or is it working like 10 hours a day but still come home very night as I worked up north in a camp mine and never again, I'm a at home guy every night, and would be plenty happy making +80k.

Cos
10-16-2012, 01:19 PM

dawwgy
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
nm

Phl0xed
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
JordanEG6 said it perfectly. I too am an EET graduate (2010) and have been hired on with a small - mid sized EPCM company since graduation. All information he has stated is very accurate for our line of work.

I too don't like the whole concept of the "assembly line" monotony of the larger firms, but who knows, perhaps one day. Smaller firms are great learning tools. My company has quite the diversity in experience level and has provided excellent opportunities for a fresh grad. :)

When I was nearing the end of my program at Sait, I had an offer from Saskpower and if I can recall, the starting wage was in and around the $33-37/hr range. Can't really remember, though I do believe it was on the higher side of the mid-30's. However, that was for a position open in Prince Albert... I think the pay would vary depending on location, but I can't say that I'd consider PA. My initial thought was to take the offer and then work on a transfer into Saskatoon down the road, but instead decided to follow my gut and stay in Calgary. Haven't regretted that decision one bit.

As most others have advised, it all depends on your interests. Three very different 'main' fields of work as an EET.

Matty_10
10-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
However, that was for a position open in Prince Albert... I think the pay would vary depending on location, but I can't say that I'd consider PA.

As for the wages at Saskpower the EET are in the IBEW I'm pretty sure and he said when they redid the agreement the EET did very well. I did specifically ask me starting wage and he said 38.90 and CET were 43 but he could have been mistaken :dunno:

All the info here has been a great help, thanks guys.

Phl0xed
10-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Matty_10

That's actually where I plan to work as I live there right now, and the guy said its basically a job waiting for you they get next to no applicants and if they do they transfer out right away.

As for the wages at Saskpower the EET are in the IBEW I'm pretty sure and he said when they redid the agreement the EET did very well. I did specifically ask me starting wage and he said 38.90 and CET were 43 but he could have been mistaken :dunno:

All the info here has been a great help, thanks guys.

Sounds pretty accurate then! I'm not sure how you stick it out, living there... But The employment is definitely there because not many people would like to live/work there! All in all, you can't go wrong with the EET program at SAIT. I had an outstanding experience there and I have family who have been to SIAST and have nothing but good things to say about their programs as well. Having your journeyman ticket and an EET or equivalent diploma is a pretty valuable employee to a lot of companies. We recently brought a couple of master electricians in to design, I love having them around. Safety codes gurus and very knowledgeable in general. Gotta keep our engineers in check somehow! :P

Matty_10
11-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Since I still have some time before I go back to school for this course I'm looking to get a head start on it, since some of you have recently graduated what kinds of things can I read up on the internet, and what sites. Thanks.

slohc
11-23-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm in my last year at sait in the EET program , having no electrical background I'm doing awesome in my classes . you'll excel in the program especially first year, since you know some of the basic electrical. just brush up on your basic calculus, that's what most people found difficult last year, but I heard they might be changing it to trig and complex numbers.