PDA

View Full Version : Tim Horton's Employee in Gulf Canada Square

StinkyMahoney
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Anyone else see this guy in the morning multi tasking? I'm stressed out just watching him flawlessly/tirelessly serving 3 people at a time barking out signals like he's Peyton Manning.

taemo
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Ray?
he's awesome and quick!
reason why we go there for coffee and he pretty much know the order of most that comes there in the morning

syscal
10-16-2012, 08:38 AM
I've seen him at, at least, one other location on the weekends as well.

Every other Tim Horton's employee, manager, owner needs to spend time at this location.

I was at the Tim's by South Costco and the manager literally told the employee (who was trying to take my order) that they are not allowed to take another order until the first order was completely fulfilled. Six employees picking their noses, but I had to wait because someone didn't get their iced-cap yet. The guy at the till was literally standing there the whole time waiting to take my order.

Gulf Canada, longest line you've seen for Tim's and you'll be done in less than 10 minutes.

StinkyMahoney
10-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah good point...the guy always seems to remember what the customers order too.

I go there about 3 times a week and you can hear his squeaky voice as soon as you enter the building. I've run marathons but I couldn't do what he does for 5 minutes.

Also....yes...monster lineups later in the morning but it moves so fast.

hampstor
10-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Rey is a machine. He also remembers what people ordered, and how they normally pay. I remember over the holidays last year, he was working 2 tills simultaneously - he'd call out your order, punch it into the till, see the next person, call out their order, punch it into the next till, walk back to the original till, collect money, then go back to the other one and collect money. :nut:

Even though I don't work in GCS anymore - I will go there in the morning to get a coffee because it's quicker than waiting in Bow Valley.

StinkyMahoney
10-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Hamp....saw that exact scenario this morning. I was "on deck" waiting for his "good morning next in line please" as he walked back from one till to his usual post and stated my order as I confirmed it. He hands me my change as he is already punching in the next guys order. Remarkable.

Feruk
10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
This guy's a machine! Anyone working fast food could learn a lot from this guy.

Moonracer
10-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Sounds like he is way too good to be working at Timmies!

StinkyMahoney
10-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Moon...I suspect he must be the manager/owner....otherwise he ought to get his own gig

borN
10-16-2012, 09:11 AM
He's the manager. He remembers my order and name every single morning - what a beauty.

Him and Rhon must compete to be the loudest and most efficient employees there.

vtec4life
10-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I have also experienced his master serving skills. He was born to Lead that Tim Hortons

Masked Bandit
10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
This guy sounds just like an older brown guy that used to work at the McDonalds in Deer Run. His name was "Jay" and he was in his mid to late 50's and holy shnit this guy would RUN to get people through. And super happy the whole time, it's like he was on speed or something. I always thought that someone that good at fast food should be doing something else.

Hallowed_point
10-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Is this the Filipino Rey?If so, I've totally seen him in action at the 17 Ave Tim's. :D Hope he can find a job where he can really put those multi tasking skills to use and get paid properly for it.

Moonracer
10-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by StinkyMahoney
Moon...I suspect he must be the manager/owner....otherwise he ought to get his own gig

Originally posted by borN
He's the manager. He remembers my order and name every single morning - what a beauty.

Him and Rhon must compete to be the loudest and most efficient employees there.

Nice! He is doing well then. :thumbsup:

JfuckinC
10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
There's a little flip(i think?) guy at the tim's across from crack macs that just kills it! lines move through there like nothing..

dj_patm
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Some Tims managers make upwards of 80 K.

Hopefully this guy is one of them.

nismo_fan
10-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
There's a little flip(i think?) guy at the tim's across from crack macs that just kills it! lines move through there like nothing..

haha yeah, that guy is one of the best! i used to go there every morning, and on the mornings when he wasn't there i wouldn't even wait, cause it takes 20+ mins.....

Canmorite
10-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I've always wondered if Ray was the Manager/Owner. I hope he's taking home a big cut as he's one of the most efficient, hardworking guys I've ever seen.

HI GOOD MORNING GO AHEAD PLEASE!

Stephen81
10-16-2012, 09:42 AM
I grabbed my coffee there this morning, literally, the second they opened and I can confirm he is just as intense when there only two people in line haha

Dave P
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
The guy is a Tim Hortons stud.

The only other Tim's employee that I have see rival him is Xavier at the Tims by Crack Macs. He had all his bitches on point.

Freestylin
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I will make the effort to walk over there for lunch to observe his awesomeness..

JRSC00LUDE
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
That's awesome, it's fantastic how a guy like that can change your whole experience in the morning hey?

A local one near me in Saskatoon on 33rd St. has a lady named Michelle there and if she was working, the whole place ran better. Same thing - fast, friendly and knew the regulars orders right off the top of her head. My schedule doesn't take me there many morning anymore so I don't know if she's still there but yeah, if you walked in and saw her working it didn't matter how long the line was - she ruled it like a boss.

revelations
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
some one should make a YT clip of this guy (with his permission) ....attitude like that can be contagious and should be spread around

Euro_Trash
10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
I think they cloned Ray. There were two of them this morning, same voice, same volume, same intensity.

CapnCrunch
10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I haven't worked in that building in years and I remember that guy. He was awesome.

Be awesome at whatever you do. :thumbsup:

BigShow
10-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Yea he's good. Nexxxxt pleaaaaaasssssseee:whipped:

toastgremlin
10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Making it to "known customer" state with him is one of my proudest moments working downtown.

nj2Type-S
10-16-2012, 12:55 PM
you guys should maybe give tim hortons' corporate office a shout about this guy so he can get some sort of formal recognition.

i've never been to that location but from the sounds of it, he's doing a heck of a job! :thumbsup:

StinkyMahoney
10-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Great idea nj....I just sent timmys a link to this and added a blurb about how great this guy is.

rx7boi
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
HELLO SIRRRRRRRRR?

OK THANK YOU NEXT IN LINE PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Haha, good ol chum.

You should see him when a customer who doesn't know what they want in at the till thinking.

:rofl: drives him nuts.

JRSC00LUDE
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
nj2Type-S, I actually did do that before I posted earlier.

I know that with our guys, nothing makes them happier (other than bonus cheques lol) than when I can go to them and say how impressed the end-user was with what they did. Recognition of work well done from the people who matter most doesn't happen often enough.

When a guy is busting his ass to get things done and doing a great job at it, praise and sincere thanks from the client always means more than just hearing it from your boss. At the end of the day myself and the other two managers keep our guys employed but it's also our guys that help keep US employed and I love it when we can deliver end-user praise to them.

I hope it actually gets the man some recognition, and a bonus.

:)

TomcoPDR
10-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Somebody call undercover boss Canada as well, sounds like he deserves a brand new car

infected
10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Probably the best Tim's there is because of this guy.

Hi-Psi
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Maybe someone mention it to the news or something, they might do a little fluff piece on him. Might be nice for some recognition/exposure. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
10-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I actually received this reply later in the day:

"Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us with your kind words about the exceptional service from Ray at the Tim Hortons location on Gulf Canada Square in Calgary, AB. It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback about our Restaurant Owners team members.

I have forwarded your email to the District Manager for this location and to the Restaurant Owner to ensure that Ray will receive this well deserved recognition. As part of our Recognition Program I have also informed our COO of our Company who will be sending a personalized Thank You letter to Ray along with a Gold Tim Card based on your compliment.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and for your continued patronage. We look forward to serving you again in the near future."

I was surprised, I wasn't so sure there would be anything beyond a generic auto-reply. All I did was forward a link as a member of this forum and suggest they review it to see all the positive things being said about someone who was setting what should be their standard for service.

Quizzes
10-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Good ol' Rey. Once in a while, I would throw a curveball and order a bagel. Then he would get all flustered because he already rang my medium double-double in before I even walk to his till. LOL

He definitely deserves the recognition.

Neil4Speed
10-17-2012, 07:56 AM
There is a guy like this at the 8th Street Tims as well, just an absolute monster when it works. Even though the Mcdonalds across the street has half the number of people in line, the Tims line moves substantially faster.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
On the flip side, the Tims near my house, at Centre Street and 40th Ave North, has to be the WORST run franchise of the whole chain. In the morning, I'll drive right past this one to get my coffee elsewhere just because it's always such a disaster. I've never been able to figure out who the manger is, because nobody there seems to know how to make a coffee in under two minutes, and getting a breakfast candwich is a 10 minute wait every time.

The tims on Centre street at 14th ave North is much better.

voodoo
10-17-2012, 08:15 AM
he is awesome. i rememeber when he just started there and wasnt the manager yet. he was still the best employee there.

i have half a mind to open this thread on my iphone, and walk downstairs and show him this when i go to tims in 10mins. lol

Canmorite
10-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
On the flip side, the Tims near my house, at Centre Street and 40th Ave North, has to be the WORST run franchise of the whole chain. In the morning, I'll drive right past this one to get my coffee elsewhere just because it's always such a disaster.

I live really close to the 40th ave one, it's so unbelievably slow, even with 10 people working there. Drive thru if it's dead, otherwise, drive to 14th ave and centre st...

FWPs.

Glad to hear Ray is going to get some recognition!

slick2404
10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
HELLO SIRRRRRRRRR?

OK THANK YOU NEXT IN LINE PLEEEEEEEEEEASE.

Haha, good ol chum.

You should see him when a customer who doesn't know what they want in at the till thinking.

:rofl: drives him nuts.

haha bang on, and so true. He's the man.

Quiet10
10-18-2012, 04:01 PM
The first time I went to this Tim's location I was really shocked at how long the line was. I'm used to going to the one across the street from the court house on 6th Ave and how slow their service is. I expected a really long wait, but it was lunch time so I had time to wait.

Imagine my surprise when the line disappeared in no time and with such great service. So efficient and quick. :clap: :thumbsup:

J-D
10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
This guy sounds just like an older brown guy that used to work at the McDonalds in Deer Run. His name was "Jay" and he was in his mid to late 50's and holy shnit this guy would RUN to get people through. And super happy the whole time, it's like he was on speed or something. I always thought that someone that good at fast food should be doing something else.

My favorite part about the McDonalds in Deer Run is people smoking the post on the first corner of the drive-thru. I swear I've seen at least 10 people hit that post and I don't even go to McDonalds that often.

Bladeh
10-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Nice to see someone getting appreciation for doing a good job.

The one in Parkland Mall in Red Deer is terrible! There was a lineup and they only had 1 till, yet some how they had employees pulling out racks of donuts and cleaning the glass screens, and sweeping the floor. Glad I only grabbed a quick coffee, just imagine the crap that would have been on the donuts from sweeping.

Konj
10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
I used to imitate him while waiting for my order. He wasnt very pleased, probably cause i didnt do it right" hi goood morning can i take your order please"

bspot
10-19-2012, 03:08 PM
This thread is amazing. I'm always talking about Rey when at other Tim's, and how everyone should have to be trained at GCS.

I went to that Tim's for years and watched him work his way up from minion to manager. They should be sending that guy around as a high paid consultant to coach other managers.

Disoblige
10-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by syscal

I was at the Tim's by South Costco and the manager literally told the employee (who was trying to take my order) that they are not allowed to take another order until the first order was completely fulfilled.
What a retarded manager.

If any busy establishment did this, it would be game over.

FraserB
10-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
There is a guy like this at the 8th Street Tims as well, just an absolute monster when it works. Even though the Mcdonalds across the street has half the number of people in line, the Tims line moves substantially faster.

I think his name is Xavier, always at the third till furthest from the head of the line.

He is probably Rays clone lol.

n1zm0
10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Reminds me of the staff at subway on 61st Ave se, fastest I've ever seen.

jwslam
10-20-2012, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Reminds me of the staff at subway on 61st Ave se, fastest I've ever seen.
I swear it's only the dark tall skinny guy at UC Subway that can make subs where stuff isn't falling out all over the place. Even the sauces stay in the sub as I eat all the way to the bottom.

Sorry to derail the thread from efficiency... this guy is also very fast. I guess I have to go to GCS TH some time.

xnvy
10-20-2012, 12:03 PM
The guy at the Opa in MacEwan Hall I feel deserves some recognition. I'm pretty sure he's the owner. Fast when it's busy but always willing to chat when it's slow.

jwslam
10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
The guy at the Opa in MacEwan Hall I feel deserves some recognition. I'm pretty sure he's the owner. Fast when it's busy but always willing to chat when it's slow.
Hmm... that brings up the question has anyone actually gotten to chat with Ray during slower times?

Robnaldo
10-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
On the flip side, the Tims near my house, at Centre Street and 40th Ave North, has to be the WORST run franchise of the whole chain. In the morning, I'll drive right past this one to get my coffee elsewhere just because it's always such a disaster. I've never been able to figure out who the manger is, because nobody there seems to know how to make a coffee in under two minutes, and getting a breakfast candwich is a 10 minute wait every time.

This is so true.
When I first moved to Calgary 3 or so years ago, this is the first Tim Hortons I went to.

This literally ruined Tim's for me in Calgary.
I went there 3 or 4 times...and I was done, and I haven't been back to one since.

My problem wasn't just the speed.
Maybe it was because I was new from Nova Scotia, but I literally could not understand what the fuck the cashier was saying to me. The loud music didn't help either.

Without fail, every time...I would make my order and the cashier would ask me a question.
I would repeat my order...they would repeat the question.....rinse and fucking repeat.

http://www.geekzenith.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

Frustrated.....I would just say YES...YES...YES...to that question and the followup questions after that, just to end the suffering.

To this day I still have no idea what they could have possibly been asking me.

StinkyMahoney
10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Update....Rey wasn't there this morning...I was there early so no lineup. I wonder if Tim's sent him somewhere on a Bust Loose vacation?

nj2Type-S
10-22-2012, 09:29 PM
maybe the newly-opened bridlewood location can learn from ray's example.

i understand that they've just opened and aren't fully up to speed with everything but both times i've been there, i've had nothing but slow and rude service.

gqmw
10-24-2012, 11:07 AM
He's a machine haha, so efficient. I always feel stressed watching him though lol.

Kritafo
11-15-2012, 07:37 AM
I thought of this thread while flipping though the Calgary Herald this AM

Fastest fast food workers compete in Tim Cup Challenge

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Fastest+fast+food+workers+compete+Challenge/7550007/story.html

lint
11-15-2012, 10:09 AM
I was just about to post that. Need to check out that Tim's if they're better than the GCS crew. Hard to imagine

rx7boi
11-15-2012, 11:19 AM
With the winter days here now, I changed my order from an XL double double to a XL hot chocolate.

Rey is like Rain Man, he caught on right away :rofl:

Wrath
11-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
The guy is a Tim Hortons stud.

The only other Tim's employee that I have see rival him is Xavier at the Tims by Crack Macs. He had all his bitches on point.

This guy...I worked in this building and now work not far from it....that is the smallest most fucked up Tims in the core...and they keep it movin' NEXT IN LINE PLEASEEEEEE

StinkyMahoney
11-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
With the winter days here now, I changed my order from an XL double double to a XL hot chocolate.

Rey is like Rain Man, he caught on right away :rofl:

I wonder if he can count cards like Rain Man? We could take him to Vegas

taemo
11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I thought of this thread while flipping though the Calgary Herald this AM

Fastest fast food workers compete in Tim Cup Challenge

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Fastest+fast+food+workers+compete+Challenge/7550007/story.html

where's Rey?
notice how 3 of them are filipinos

Neil4Speed
04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Thought I would bump this up from the dead:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/face-amazing-customer-service-martin-belanger-p-eng-?trk=hp-feed-article-title-comment

Gman.45
04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Hah, I forgot about this thread. Rei is amazing, I still can't believe he hasn't been head hunted or sniped by some other company, who would put his talents to use training THEIR staff on how it should be done.

Earls on 16th ave in the NW back in the 90s had a waiter that was always there when my company would eat there, which was often, and he would take the order from a dozen+ loud drinking people, never write a thing down, and get everything 100% correct, every single time, and be Johnny on the spot with refills and whatever else. That x about 6 other tables at the same time, he made it look SO effortless, and he was the reason we went to Earls usually after the 3rd time he waited on us.

People like him and Rei are exceedingly rare, it almost has to be seen to be understood just how incredible they are. Rei's got to have an incredible memory, maybe he's just gifted with it or trained a lot with those "memory power" type courses and techniques, either way, it's truly amazing to watch him run through a line of a couple dozen regulars.

jwslam
04-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Gman.45
Earls on 16th ave in the NW back in the 90s had a waiter that was always there when my company would eat there, which was often, and he would take the order from a dozen+ loud drinking people, never write a thing down, and get everything 100% correct, every single time, and be Johnny on the spot with refills and whatever else. That x about 6 other tables at the same time, he made it look SO effortless, and he was the reason we went to Earls usually after the 3rd time he waited on us.
Back in my restaurant days I tried this for a while. I'm absolutely horrible with faces though. I remembered where stuff went on the table, so if people got up and switched places, well then I'm putting the other person's food in front of you.

There were so many times where someone would pay, leave, come back because they forgot something and I'd try to seat them again :nut: :rofl:

Manhattan
04-13-2016, 01:44 PM
I knew a girl who was afraid to go to this Tim's because of Rei. He was like the soup Nazi in her mind. She was rushed and intimidated by the speed of the service and also the yelling lol.

max_boost
04-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Back in my restaurant days I tried this for a while. I'm absolutely horrible with faces though. I remembered where stuff went on the table, so if people got up and switched places, well then I'm putting the other person's food in front of you.

There were so many times where someone would pay, leave, come back because they forgot something and I'd try to seat them again :nut: :rofl: :werd: been there done that lol and that's because all white people look the same :rofl:

:thumbsup:

jwslam
04-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
:werd: that's because all white people look the same :rofl:

:thumbsup:
THANK YOU!
To be fair I also think Asians look all the same. Therefore I'm not racist.

Moonracer
04-13-2016, 02:02 PM
u5pnDkrCsDQ

Disoblige
04-13-2016, 02:26 PM
^^ Holy fuck, I never heard of this guy before. His humor in other videos is hilarious! Afternoon ruined.

Hallowed_point
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM
Does Tim Hortons have a policy in Calgary to only hire: Filipinos or surly 50 year old former lunch ladies with tattoos?

max_boost
04-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

THANK YOU!
To be fair I also think Asians look all the same. Therefore I'm not racist.

After going to Africa I don't even wanna ask what kind of African are you lol :rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
I knew a girl who was afraid to go to this Tim's because of Rei. He was like the soup Nazi in her mind. She was rushed and intimidated by the speed of the service and also the yelling lol.

Between this, and the fact that my coffee always tastes burnt from here in the mornings, I refuse to go to this Tim's, and opt to go to the TD one instead.

Hallowed_point
04-13-2016, 03:23 PM
I'll say this much, if you want to experience the NE without going to the NE, hit up this location. You'll be the only honkie in the lineup.

Moonracer
04-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
^^ Holy fuck, I never heard of this guy before. His humor in other videos is hilarious! Afternoon ruined.

lol ya it's good time killing entertainment