PDA

View Full Version : Recommended place for class 5 test?

binton
10-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Hello, I am wondering if you guys have any suggested places to do a class 5 road test. I am looking for one that is particularly easy. And I am expecting some people to criticize me for trying to get off easy but I have heard of many nasty road testers, and I am a good driver I just would like to maximize my chances of passing. I've been searching for a while and any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

dirtsniffer
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
I had a pretty good tester at AMA

RNB11
10-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by binton
Hello, I am wondering if you guys have any suggested places to do a class 5 road test. I am looking for one that is particularly easy. And I am expecting some people to criticize me for trying to get off easy but I have heard of many nasty road testers, and I am a good driver I just would like to maximize my chances of passing. I've been searching for a while and any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Forest Lawn Registry, easiest of all.

dirtsniffer
10-16-2012, 10:58 AM
^Sarcasm, I sense.

But OP, I know what you mean. I was failed for 'failure to stop for a pedestrian' when the pedestrian was still 5' from the corner and after I drove by he didn't even cross the road I was driving down, he went across the side street. Apparently I should have stopped to wait for him to get to the corner to see which way he wanted to go..
Needless to say I didn't go back to that registry.

G-ZUS
10-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Go see Muhammad @ Marda Loop registry

binton
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
can I get some serious answers please, those have the worst reviews

own3dzz
10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Small towns are the easiest to drive in. Airdrie would be a good one, or if you're looking for something easier, take the journey up to Didsbury or Olds.

While on this topic, has anyone done the advanced test to get rid of the "graduated" portion of class 5 license? I still haven't done that and am wondering if anyone has anything to say about it

kylejw
10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by own3dzz
Small towns are the easiest to drive in. Airdrie would be a good one, or if you're looking for something easier, take the journey up to Didsbury or Olds.

While on this topic, has anyone done the advanced test to get rid of the "graduated" portion of class 5 license? I still haven't done that and am wondering if anyone has anything to say about it

This is what I did for the advanced test.

For the 5 GDL test I'd just go to any place, but the advanced one is much longer.

In Airdrie the examiner was an ex cop and very good. Really professional and was cool with my (arguably) aggressive style.

Biggest plus is that most of the roads there are 30km/h. Main drag by the registry is 50 and you need to watch for railway crossings if you're a city boy like me and don't encounter them that often. It was a bit pricier though, I believe $150.

EDIT: Also in Airdrie he made me do the verbal hazard assessment in two places, I thought you only had to do it once. Don't stress about this - it's something you likely do in your head while driving anyway, so just spit it out!
And also an angle park (wtf, cake for anyone whose driven for more than a week). Thought I'd mention it though as I remember people telling me there's no parking on the exam at all.

strawberrydouch
10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by own3dzz

LOL I did the Grad. last year @ the forest lawn reg. What a rip off. 1/2 hour of easy driving with my only mistake being signalling too early. Drive by the forest lawn library and the tester asked me to name some road hazards, I listed obvious shit like debris etc. He was looking for the "Elderly People Crossing" sign. Automatic fail for missing it. Got my Grandma to bitch so I got a second test for free and passed :D But yeah! be prepared for a theory based ringer on the adv. test.

cream
10-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by kylejw

EDIT: Also in Airdrie he made me do the verbal hazard assessment in two places, I thought you only had to do it once. Don't stress about this - it's something you likely do in your head while driving anyway, so just spit it out!
And also an angle park (wtf, cake for anyone whose driven for more than a week). Thought I'd mention it though as I remember people telling me there's no parking on the exam at all.

Took both of mine at Crowfoot Plates in Calgary. I got 2 hazard recognitions too so I'm sure it's standard. And my advanced surprisingly took 20-25 minutes. Test was at 10am, celebrating at my gf's house by 10:30. Passed first try both times.

Just practice and drive comfortably.

kylejw
10-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by cream

Took both of mine at Crowfoot Plates in Calgary. I got 2 hazard recognitions too so I'm sure it's standard. And my advanced surprisingly took 20-25 minutes. Test was at 10am, celebrating at my gf's house by 10:30. Passed first try both times.

Just practice and drive comfortably.

Short exam then congratulatory poon? Nice.

ReflexFX
10-16-2012, 11:41 PM
There should be no easier place than another. Fact of the matter is, if you can't pass the test at ANY registry in Calgary, why should you be on the road?

binton
10-19-2012, 09:02 AM
anyone know about Macleod?

leftwing
10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I just did mine at Wild Rose Registry (oakridge) with Dennis, he was pretty awesome. We talked about hockey the whole time.

leftwing
10-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ReflexFX
There should be no easier place than another. Fact of the matter is, if you can't pass the test at ANY registry in Calgary, why should you be on the road?

I kind of disagree, although there are clearly right and wrong things, many actions are left to the discretion of the tester, a grumpy or shitty tester can easily fail you for something that another tester deemed safe, or not fail-worthy. And lets be honest, no one actually drives as proper as you have to on your drivers test.

cream
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by leftwing

I kind of disagree, although there are clearly right and wrong things, many actions are left to the discretion of the tester, a grumpy or shitty tester can easily fail you for something that another tester deemed safe, or not fail-worthy. And lets be honest, no one actually drives as proper as you have to on your drivers test.

That is true, some places may be pickier than others. But you have 75 points of leeway to deal with these examiners. Like said above, if you can't pass at any registry with 75 points of errors or less, it's just a wakeup call.

leftwing
10-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cream

That is true, some places may be pickier than others. But you have 75 points of leeway to deal with these examiners. Like said above, if you can't pass at any registry with 75 points of errors or less, it's just a wakeup call.

Yes, 75 pts is a lot, if you accumulate that many, you deserve to fail. But what I'm mostly talking about is the auto-fails. Such as being too cautious or, not being cautious enough or other discretionary calls.

binton
10-28-2012, 09:34 PM
bump, appreciate the responses

nj2Type-S
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
go to mojo's on macleod near the chinook station. the tester there is really fair. goodluck!

binton
10-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
go to mojo's on macleod near the chinook station. the tester there is really fair. goodluck!

do you remember the testers name?

JAYMEZ
10-30-2012, 05:23 PM
I dont think you need to worry so much. The test is really freaking easy , unless you are a bad driver.