PDA

View Full Version : Traffic accident/incident question

lasimmon
10-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey all. Just looking for some opinions on an incident that happened this morning.

A friend of mines GF was driving him to work this morning when she was turning left onto 4th ave from 4 st. There used to be 3 left turn lanes here but now only 2. She turned from the old third lane to stop in front of the building on the northwest corner of the 4th and 4th intersection.

The car in the second (middle) turning lane saw her turn, panicked, and drove into the car turning in the left lane. She was no where near the middle car as its a 4 lane area. They all turned into the proper lane, even though technically she should not have turned from the third lane.

Anyways the other cars reported her as a hit and run even though she didn't hit anyone. The cop called her and she said what happened and cop kinda agreed with her but had to chat with the others.

Is she liable for anything besides maybe an illegal left turn?

Masked Bandit
10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, the girl in question didn't actually make contact with anyone / anything? If so then she is nothing more than a witness to the accident and AT MOST might get a ticket for an illegal left turn but I would be very surprised if the cops bother with that.

lasimmon
10-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes she made no contact with anyone.

FraserB
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
LOL, the person at fault actually tried this?:rofl:

She is liable for nothing. Hopefully she didn't give anyone her information.

lasimmon
10-16-2012, 11:16 AM
She didn't give any info as she left. But my friend got an earful from the 2 ladies that collided. I think he took their numbers only.

cloud7
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
She might get a ticket... that's all... especially if the driver in the middle is making a compliant. People do stupid things and cause accidents all the time, while not getting hit themselves... nothing is usually done.

98type_r
10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I would assume this would be viewed as similar to cutting someone off and causing an accident, ticketable but not at fault.

Did they change it after the repaving? I work nearby and never noticed.
Street view of the old 3 turn lanes.
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=500+4th+ave+sw+calgary&hl=en&ll=51.049326,-114.071555&spn=0.001973,0.004823&sll=54.498365,-115.000188&sspn=14.965524,39.506836&t=h&hnear=500+4+Ave+SW,+Calgary,+Alberta+T2P+3E7&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.049572,-114.071397&panoid=9jO5YE9UdUCPJrrYAc1KqQ&cbp=12,351.9,,0,-7.51

lasimmon
10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Cops visited the GF at work. Got her statement and insurance information and what not.

Girl is now saying she was cut off. But I find that hard to believe.

guessboi
10-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
I would assume this would be viewed as similar to cutting someone off and causing an accident, ticketable but not at fault.

+1

lasimmon
10-16-2012, 12:17 PM
That's kind of what I was thinking. Might get a ticket because she did something wrong. But not responsible for the accident.

FraserB
10-16-2012, 12:25 PM
"I'm sorry officer, I'm declining to provide a statement as I did not observe the accident in such a manner as to be able to provide any valuable information on the matter. If needed, I can make my vehicle available at my convenience to demonstrate I have not been involved in a collision. Thank you for your time."

Evo prec
10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Women drivers ..... seriously calling the cops for a hit and run when you're friend didnt even hit them ? typical

revelations
10-16-2012, 03:19 PM
dashcam = impartial witness

in 5 years i can see it becoming opt equipment in some vehicles

JustinMCS
10-16-2012, 04:44 PM
If your friend was not impatient and got into the lane she needed instead of coming down the outside and then making an illegal turn, none of this would have happened.

rx7boi
10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
She might get a ticket... that's all... especially if the driver in the middle is making a compliant. People do stupid things and cause accidents all the time, while not getting hit themselves... nothing is usually done.

These people are the worst.

Canucks3322
10-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow the middle car is a retard, why the hell would she freak out and then proceed to hit the car on the left side? Huh wtf....

Kloubek
10-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
"I'm sorry officer, I'm declining to provide a statement as I did not observe the accident in such a manner as to be able to provide any valuable information on the matter. If needed, I can make my vehicle available at my convenience to demonstrate I have not been involved in a collision. Thank you for your time."

Perfect response.

Though if there was enough eye witnesses it still might not exempt her from a ticket.... but there is no point in admitting fault if not required to do so.

yipb
10-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
Cops visited the GF at work. Got her statement and insurance information and what not.

cops can do that?

FraserB
10-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Perfect response.

Though if there was enough eye witnesses it still might not exempt her from a ticket.... but there is no point in admitting fault if not required to do so.

Having them issue a ticket based on a couple of eyewitness statements is pretty much the perfect scenario. Get your ticket and push the court date just before increases the chance that they won't show up to the next date. If they do, get them on the stand and just have then tell a different version of events (guaranteed to happen), goodbye ticket.

Masked Bandit
10-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I REALLY wouldn't worry about it. Did your girlfriend contribute to the causing of the claim? Maybe. But it doesn't matter. If she never made contact with anyone there will be no insurance action against her.

dirtsniffer
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Cops can ask for proof on insurance? No wai....:nut:

Note to people who are involved in an accident due to someone breaking a rule. Hit the the fucker breaking the rule not some innocent person in another lane.