PDA

View Full Version : healthy snacks while dieting???

ekguy
10-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Let's hear em.

I'm having a hard time eating healthy as I eat junk food between healthy meals...

I'm not shedding fat as quick as I should with the amount of exercise I'm doing so I know it's my diet.

What are some healthy and tasty snacks???

know1edge
10-16-2012, 06:59 PM
i fooking love bok choy

beef jerky?

black13
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Sunflower seeds. I just bought some. But get the ones that aren't fried or salted as some say in the ingredients.
But even these need to be eaten in moderation.

Other than that, fruits are the best snacks.

duaner
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Nuts and veggies.

davidI
10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Fruits and nuts are generally healthy but also calorie dense. Vegetables, tuna and hot sauce, protein shake etc may be better but it really depends on your overall macros.

TE4MFaint
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dgENZg8wm7g/TBul-uXQotI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/xGCf2JV3ZlA/s200/Spitz+logo+2.jpg

http://assets.kaboose.com/media/00/00/09/7b/8d6d5b9546e0b62e6eff26c7f045f068a930acb2/476x357/rotator-Pea-Pods_476x357.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ApXIr8UjJKo/TjgEDxIxlOI/AAAAAAAAAVA/11VRtjVnEo0/s1600/carrots_baby.jpg

chibwack
10-16-2012, 08:40 PM
My go to's are protein shakes (filling), plain hardboiled eggs and sugar snap peas. Seriously, I eat the latter like candy.

ekguy
10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
keep em coming.

I thought protein shakes (whey) was only for after workouts. If I can supplement that to fill myself rather than eat junk im completely for it.

Shlade
10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Get an isolate protein

I usually have almonds/ non fat yogurt/ really any sort of veggies

jsn
10-17-2012, 12:26 AM
+1 for protein shake and raw almonds. I usually put some non-fat yogurt in my protein shakes as well.

chibwack
10-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Also like a protein shake, smoothies are good. 1 cup milk, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, half a cup oats and a handful of your fruit of choice (I do strawberry's). Blend it up really good, absolutely delicious. Seriously, forget about booster juice or whatever, these are amazing.

Chester
10-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Snap peas. I eat them like candy, handfuls at a time. Make me fart like a mofo tho :rofl:

89coupe
10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Raw almonds
Raw broccoli
Sweet potatoes
Chicken
Tuna
Celery if you just need something to chew on.

Stay away from protein shakes, they do more harm then good. If someone tells you otherwise they are full of it and have no knowledge of how a body absorbs nutrients.

flipstah
10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
^ +1 on almonds.

Beef jerky is mad good! Has to be home-made!

civic_stylez
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Almonds, Beef jerky is excellent for a quick protein kick when you need a snack, trail mix and my personal fave is fat free yougurt and granola. Its my 10am hold-me-over until lunch snack.

Penguin_Racecar
10-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Snap peas, other veggies are good. If you're craving something sweet try a rice cake with some jam. Low in calories (although they are all carbs).

Disoblige
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Buy frozen edamame?
Snack on Cherrios?
Cut up small pieces of celery?
Baby carrots?

:thumbsup:

I would stay away from nuts and seeds. Nutritious, sure, but fatty.

Originally posted by 89coupe

Stay away from protein shakes, they do more harm then good.
In general, or based on OP's situation? I disagree with you if you mean in general, because protein shakes have their uses.

Hallowed_point
10-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Looking to maintain/add Testosterone? Don't be scared of good fats in things like raw nuts, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs etc. Hell of a lot different then the fats contained in MC'd's junk

diamondedge
10-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Buy frozen edamame?
Snack on Cherrios?
Cut up small pieces of celery?
Baby carrots?

:thumbsup:

I would stay away from nuts and seeds. Nutritious, sure, but fatty.

In general, or based on OP's situation? I disagree with you if you mean in general, because protein shakes have their uses.

good fats son! omega3 fatty acids. Peanut butter. Smear that shit on an apple, good til lunch. I keep almonds at my desk, some fruits throughout the day, dried or fresh.

davidI
10-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Stay away from protein shakes, they do more harm then good. If someone tells you otherwise they are full of it and have no knowledge of how a body absorbs nutrients.

You're the first person I've ever heard say this. Most research I've seen supports Whey Protein use before/after workouts.

Redlined_8000
10-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Try a big Tupper of salad with a low Cal dressing and a couple boiled eggs sliced up. It's awesome!

msommers
10-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Organic carrots - they taste much better and sweeter than non-organic. I don't like to buy those baby carrots aftering hearing about them being washed with a lot of chemicals. Plus they're usually slimy and gross.

Broccoli flourets - you can get a giant bag from Costco or a smaller bag usually at Coop, Safeway etc.

Raw almonds - I like Blue Diamond whole almonds

Greek Yogurt

Banana w/ organic peanut butter. Can use almond butter too.

Celery

Hard boiled eggs

BigMass
10-31-2012, 09:02 AM
simple solution. Stop snacking. Must be a north american thing to always be putting shit in your mouth throughout the day. Just eat your "healthy" main meals and count your calories. Snacking, sugar, salt become addictions that you keep craving. But if you stop for a few weeks you'll stop having strong cravings for those things.

davidI
10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
BigMass may be right. The days of fitness professionals recommending 6-8 small meals per day may be over. A lot are subscribing to a philosophy of intermittent fasting now.

I'm not sure what side I'm on yet as I need to do more research...but it is something to consider.

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2008/11/meal-frequency-how-many-meals-per-day-should-i-eat/

Hallowed_point
10-31-2012, 09:21 AM

From what I've read, not all protein powders are created equal. Some of them have HIGH heavy metal content (lead & fun stuff like that.) I'd stick to something like Kaizen which is much less tampered with over something like Mutant Mass for example.

GS430
10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Mix some cottage cheese, low-fat sour cream, chopped up onions and add a little bit of salt. Delicious.

Maxx Mazda
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by GS430
Mix some cottage cheese, low-fat sour cream, chopped up onions and add a little bit of salt. Delicious.

...And have the most rank breath all afternoon!

davidI
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

From what I've read, not all protein powders are created equal. Some of them have HIGH heavy metal content (lead & fun stuff like that.) I'd stick to something like Kaizen which is much less tampered with over something like Mutant Mass for example.

My guess is 89Coupe is talking about absorption, which has always been highly debateable, but I could be wrong.

ON Gold Whey has never done me wrong.

Edit: Did some further reading and you're probably refering to this study. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm ON Whey doesn't look too bad so I'll stick with it.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874

This is another study I saw a while ago that made me decide to stick with ON: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145597871&page=1

89coupe
10-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by davidI

My guess is 89Coupe is talking about absorption, which has always been highly debateable, but I could be wrong.

ON Gold Whey has never done me wrong.

Edit: Did some further reading and you're probably refering to this study. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm ON Whey doesn't look too bad so I'll stick with it.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/news.php?article=874

This is another study I saw a while ago that made me decide to stick with ON: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145597871&page=1

Yes absorption

You are better off eating real foods as your body will absorb it better.

Also protein drinks are notorious for causing kidney stones.

bigbadboss101
10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Hmm I do have problem eating over 150g of protein a day from whole food. That's when protein powder comes into play to get it up to ~ 220+ a day.

davidI
10-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Yes absorption

Research to back this claim up?

Hallowed_point
10-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Yes absorption

I could see that is you were majorly dehydrated. But any bodybuilder worth his salt knows that water intake is key :confused:

wintonyk
10-31-2012, 07:18 PM
water. i know have met so many people that snack when they are thirsty. it comes from surprising your thirst cues.

My go too snacks are apples, almonds, celery with PB, a hard boiled egg, carrots or snap peas and hummus or protein shakes.

Having protein or fat (healthy ones obviously) is going to be beneficial because it helps fill your hunger and satiety cues.

Learn the difference between hunger and boredom too. North Americans have the most effed up ideas of what hunger actually is.

For just about anyone struggling with that I highly encourage reading "the end of overeating" by david kessler (http://www.amazon.com/The-End-Overeating-Insatiable-American/dp/B004NSVE32)

Lol I am living in Korea now though, so the only things I buy are real foods because I can't read ingredients, sticking with that almost anyone can be safe.

ay fitness
11-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Studies confirm that drinking tea, especially the less processed green tea boosts metabolism when you’re resting and specifically targets the release of stored fat. Brew the tea yourself to avoid the sugar added to prepackaged teas.

good luck
:)

Tej.S
12-15-2012, 02:25 AM

What protein shakes are you talking about and what kidney stones lol, strongunaware/10.

@OP: Tbh, if you're dedicated, play around with your macros. I don't mean eat complete junk, but if you feel like eating a cupcake(or whatever else fits that category) and it fits your macros, go for it. It worked for me and a few of my other friends while dieting so it wouldn't hurt to give it a go. Trial and error!

rosemarie
12-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Hi.
Sunflower seeds. I just bought some. But get the ones that aren't fried or salted as some say in the ingredients.
But even these need to be eaten in moderation.

Other than that, fruits are the best snacks.