PDA

View Full Version : The rage2 Car Less for a Week Challenge (started - Dec 3-9)

Pages : [1] 2 3

SQ2
10-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Hello Beyond! You may or may not have caught rage2 and I on global news tonight, so here’s the scoop.

Last year, in an effort to raise money for the Calgary foodbank, I challenged rage to take part in a yoga class. It was a very successful challenge, with people in our office donating over $6,000 to see photo evidence of rage in said yoga class. This year, the holiday fundraising time is quickly approaching, and I've been trying to figure out how to top the challenge from last year.

A month or so ago, rage and I were discussing our driving options for the winter. I said that we could totally manage with one car, relying somewhat on transit as well. The minute I uttered the words public transit, rage was online looking for winter car options. As seen in this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/359682/just-in-time-for-winter-my-new-ride-part-4/, he soon picked up a winter car.

Shortly after that purchase, I heard about a local filmmaker who was looking for households to participate in a car free for a week challenge. I decided to jump on this opportunity, and rage, being the good sport that he is, agreed to partake, with the caveat that we have to raise $10,000 for the food bank along the way. He promises that if I hit that goal, then he’ll post updates throughout the week, photos, videos and all. I hear that Mibz is already plotting to stalk him at bus stops to point and laugh.

And of course, this is where all of you come in :) I need help to make this happen!!! Here's the link to the donation page on the food bank website http://calgaryfoodbank.akaraisin.com/repliconcarfreeforaweek

I thank all of you in advance who help me to make this happen, and I promise I’ll share when and where you can catch rage on transit so you can point and laugh ;)

rage2
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/documentary+highlights+challenges+of+being+car-free+in+calgary/6442734940/story.html

Crappy iPhone video of the story:
5jF9tUlUoCk

edit - Better video off GlobalTV : http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video/families+go+carless+for+a+week/video.html?v=2292116525

Jlude
10-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Good on you guys! Will definetly be interested in how you guys handle getting the little guy to school, etc.:thumbsup:

I only live a few blocks from my office and although I enjoy driving as much as the next guy, I'v been walking to work as much as a I can. I actually feel a lot better throughout the day when I've walked. The only problem is I don't live in Calgary... I'm in Winterpeg, so the -50 means bundle up and drive :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

e36bmw///
10-16-2012, 08:04 PM
nm

03ozwhip
10-16-2012, 08:05 PM
good on you man. i cant do it becausse i dont live in the city and have a 3 year old to transport and walking all that way wont work, otherwise i would try it as well!

Xtrema
10-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Cool. When is this week gonna go down?

Tik-Tok
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Lol. I wonder what all the poverty stricken single working parents who can't afford a car to begin with think of this challenge... an entire week... my god!

Good on you Rage, but seriously, this is kind of laughable. Sort of like that "hidden boss" show or whatever it's called where an executive has to work as a lowly waiter for a week.

rage2
10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Lol. I wonder what all the poverty stricken single working parents who can't afford a car to begin with think of this challenge... an entire week... my god!
I don't get why people are bringing income into this at all. If only poverty stricken people took transit, there would be no busses in half the communities in this city. There are rich people in this city that use transit regularly. It's irrelevant.

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine. It'll also be a review of how efficient our transit system is, seeing as everyone bitches about it compared to cities like NY and London.

XylathaneGTR
10-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Better not try to jaywalk while downtown at night...

Tik-Tok
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I don't get why people are bringing income into this at all. If only poverty stricken people took transit, there would be no busses in half the communities in this city. There are rich people in this city that use transit regularly. It's irrelevant.

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine.

That's kind of my point. Of course it's possible to live without car ownership. Poor people do it all the time. I mention income, because the impoverished don't have a choice in the matter, they HAVE to take transit (or walk, or ride a bike).

urrforce
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Good luck rage, i do both car and transit and it's really not that difficult but i've always ridden the bus or train so it is sort of second nature to me

msommers
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Food bank was a solid choice.

Review of our transit? There are thousands that will tell you how terrible it is haha.

Tram Common
10-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Ya, sorry Rage, but I'm going to have to go way out on a limb here and agree with Tik-Tok.

The mere fact that this is even a story is kind of an indication of just how spoiled some people are these days.

I mean, I'm no different, I drive everywhere... but for fuck's sake... first world problems story right here.

Xtrema
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM

The documentary is aiming to show car people like myself that there is an alternative, and to see if it's possible to live without car ownership. I'm doing it to see the other side, and how it will change my day to day routine. It'll also be a review of how efficient our transit system is, seeing as everyone bitches about it compared to cities like NY and London.

The full experience should be a week with -30c days.

Nothing put you back in a car quicker than freezing to death at station or suffocate in stuck train cars.

I don't have much to complain going to work with transit. Coming home is a whole other story.

You can't be more than 10 mins bus ride to Crowfoot, no?

Mar
10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
What about if you have to go see a client or pick them up for entertainment?

rage2
10-16-2012, 09:13 PM
That's kind of my point. Of course it's possible to live without car ownership. Poor people do it all the time. I mention income, because the impoverished don't have a choice in the matter, they HAVE to take transit (or walk, or ride a bike).
Well obviously it's doable, I'm not debating that. But the majority of the city is heavily reliant on cars, and the film is aiming to change the perception of public transporation for those people, including myself.

Tik-Tok
10-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Still, I'd be WAYYY more impressed if it was like 6 months. One week, is more "Hahah, yeah this sucks, but it's almost over". If anything, it will re-inforce how much you like driving, and won't change.

rage2
10-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Mar
What about if you have to go see a client or pick them up for entertainment?
I dunno, I'll have to figure it out when the time comes.

Still, I'd be WAYYY more impressed if it was like 6 months. One week, is more "Hahah, yeah this sucks, but it's almost over". If anything, it will re-inforce how much you like driving, and won't change.
I don't think the film makers have the budget to follow 4 families around for 6 months. I'm a car guy, I LOVE driving, I'll always want to drive. But I'm also a spoiled brat. I refuse to use public transportation, if I don't have a car I make someone drive me. So maybe this might change my perception a little. Baby steps right?

Offroad
10-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Good Luck Rage.......now is Car2go an option or only public transit ?

sneek
10-16-2012, 09:21 PM
:thumbsup: I think the Food Bank is a wonderful choice.

I thought about just trying to do my job without a car, and honestly it wouldn't be feasible from a time perspective. Calgary transit is available everywhere I need to be for work, but it would take hours between meetings at Quarry Park to go to the Airport.

That said, I am terribly dependant. I drove my car across the street to a pub today. :banghead:

rage2
10-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Offroad
Good Luck Rage.......now is Car2go and option or only public transit ?
Dunno the rules yet, but regardless, I can't car2go to my house, I'm in the burbs, far from the home zone. Unless I rent one for the week, but I won't be doing that. I'm not looking for loopholes with this challenge, I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.

RickDaTuner
10-16-2012, 09:27 PM
JFC your TV is damn clear... lol

Type_S1
10-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Have to agree with you Tik-Tok. How is a rich guy taking a bus for a week news worthy? Seems extremely pathetic compared to the hardships people suffer out there.

The premise of the documentary seems ridiculous as well. Not owning a car is one of the most inefficient things possible. Commuting to and from work transit is great but if you value your time at all you need a car. Imagine everytime you needed something from the grocery store you had to wait for the bus? The guy shooting this documentary is nutty.

However, good on setting this up for charity even though it should go to something better like the ronald macdonald house. Support people who have hardships, not substance abuse people :)

Grogador
10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
lol @ "challenge" this is sad

SQ2
10-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your feedback! Totally understand that this sounds like a first world problem. I don't see it being much different than the fundraisers that people participate in where they sleep outside for a night, or go on a 30hr famine though. Both survivable and unfortunately both done by many people in this world not by choice, but also both experiences that many in the middle class in Calgary wouldn't normally find themselves in, and so a good challenge to their day to day living.

Sure, it's possible to live in Calgary without a car, but how possible is it to do it when you've set up your life with the expectation that you'll be getting around by car? You've purchased/rented a home without considering things like what transit commutes would be like, how convenient a trip to the grocery store will be on foot, or how you'll get your child(ren) to their extra curricular activities. Maybe you just want to get to dinner at your parents' house and had never before thought of how you'd get there without your car.

Yes, living without a car is doable, and I've done it. BUT, I lived inner city and planned my life based on not having a car. I've never done it while living in the suburbs of Calgary though, and if I had to do this for an extended period of time, I would find a way to live in a more convenient location. For rage, I'm hoping this is an eye opener that transit is a possible solution (although I'm betting that he will have more complaints than anything by the end of the week), and at the same time, we can raise some money for the foodbank. Sounds like a win/win situation to me!

Offroad
10-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Dunno the rules yet, but regardless, I can't car2go to my house, I'm in the burbs, far from the home zone. Unless I rent one for the week, but I won't be doing that. I'm not looking for loopholes with this challenge, I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.

Oh ok ...well one way might be you sign one of yer rides ownership to me then hire me as a car and chauffeur . Just kidding,anyways again good luck. I know i could never do it,i did public transit for 2 weeks when i moved here and started working in 1986,swore I'd never do it again. Not saying Calgary transits bad just not for me ,and too much of a car loving, driver guy. :burnout:

roopi
10-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Not sure why people are bitching about the documentary when someone is making a sacrifice to help raise money. Count me in for $100.00 once the link is up for donating.

projekz
10-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Being in Arbor Lake it won't be so bad. Pretty close to the C train. If you were in Copperfield it would suck. Good luck...hope you don't catch a cold:D

90accord
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Like stated above its not the fact that a lot of people live without a car and it's no big deal, it's the fact that he is dependent on his vehicle like most are dependent on legs or arms, if you want to compare to other people it's like them not being able to use one leg for a week! Some people with a leg missing would say "pfft a week big deal" but to someone dependent on their legs would be screwed. I'm with rage on this, it's a big step for a business man like him to take! So quit bustin his chops about this... Good on you I will be donating for sure!

sexualbanana
10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Taxi??

Sugarphreak
10-16-2012, 10:01 PM

AaronK
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
This is a great idea! Good luck with it rage!

Xtrema
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm looking to give every form of public transportation that I'm allowed to use a try in the real world with a hectic schedule running 2 businesses.

That is a challenge if you don't have a 8-5 office job.

I just have a feeling Rage's footage will end up on the cutting room floor because it doesn't fit the narrative of the film maker.

So when's the detail of the challenge set?

JAYMEZ
10-16-2012, 10:39 PM
I use my car wayyyy to often to give it up for a week.. I go to way to many places to rely on Transit.. This will be an interesting one to watch!

black13
10-16-2012, 10:39 PM
It's a cool idea for a good cause. Honestly if I worked downtown, unless I could afford a helicopter, I would take transit.

sexualbanana
10-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Calgary Taxi costs for getting 2 people and a kid around... even Rage isn't that rich

No one can afford that shit on a day-to-day basis, but maybe on those days he's entertaining clients or something? Just curious if it breaks the rules that he hasn't been made aware of yet.

Agent_Oorange
10-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Good on you dude, I couldn't bring myself to go carless.

Kloubek
10-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Sure guys, it isn't a huge deal. He'll find a way to get where he needs to go for that short period of time.

But he's also displaying to people it is possible - but in my opinion, the raising money for the food bank is awesome. So really, no matter what your perspective... I think we can all agree this is a good thing.

Ed the SOHC
10-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Love the charity, love the idea, love the potential entertainment factor. Any chance of doing this for two weeks instead (outside of the documentary)?

1-week is tough already for most beyond members. Rage is a celeb and should do the impossible ;) $10g for 2 weeks is fair entertainment value.

Mibz
10-17-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm glad the haters stayed away from the thread where I PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR 24 HOURS for charity. Haha, Jesus, you wanna talk about first world problems? "My eyes are sore from staring at this 24" monitor all day. My butt hurts cause the cushioning in my chair is flat. Awwww, why does he get that awesome sword?"

I think this is gonna be hilarious and I'll definitely be donating :P

taemo
10-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Tram Common
Ya, sorry Rage, but I'm going to have to go way out on a limb here and agree with Tik-Tok.

The mere fact that this is even a story is kind of an indication of just how spoiled some people are these days.

I mean, I'm no different, I drive everywhere... but for fuck's sake... first world problems story right here.

but that's the point this documentary is trying to show.
most people have been spoiled with all the technologies and conveniences out there trying to make our lives easier that one day, I wouldn't be surprised if we were living on a Wall-E world.

1 week is not enough though IMO, 2-4 weeks would be better.

other than cars, I would actually like to see a documentary about a family living without a phone or internet for a month.

will be donating to this charity for sure as I love the idea and charity that they picked.

ExtraSlow
10-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Good charity, nice work.

Sorath
10-17-2012, 08:37 AM
i will donate if i see rage at a bus stop :rofl:

Seriously though, alot of people here dont understand how hard it is to get into town if you live in the suburbs, without a car. Calgary transit sucks :thumbsdow

Moonracer
10-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Great idea and good luck Rage. Try not to swear too much lol

NoMoreG35
10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
It's not a challenge if it's not done when it's -30 out. I have no problem taking the transit when it's above -10. If it's anything below, I just work from home :rofl:

msommers
10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Honestly unless all of his meetings are downtown, this could be a huge ordeal. It's not even getting to-from work because plenty of people do that all the time. I don't think Shelton is taking transit for charity because it's beneath him, or has to put on his bus pants like Sheldon Cooper. The biggest hurdle I see is meeting clients throughout the day and maintaining an efficient business for a week without a vehicle. Unless of course his job entails sitting at his desk 9-5 and all the clients come see him, which is probably not the case.

FraserB
10-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Definetly going to donate.

In addition I'll send $50 for a picture of Rage at a bus stop or $100 if someone catches him cheating during the week (verified by him of course).

speedog
10-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
i will donate if i see rage at a bus stop :rofl:

Seriously though, alot of people here dont understand how hard it is to get into town if you live in the suburbs, without a car. Calgary transit sucks :thumbsdow
There in lies the problem - people living in the burbs and doing everything else and working far away from home.

Our family would be a good case in point - 5 years ago I was working for TELUS and over the 26.5 year span I worked for TELUS I either took transit, walked or cycled to work. This was doable only because of the places we've lived in have all been within 5 kilometers of the core and on well established transit routes. Living close to good transit routes really helps - I've used cross-town buses to get to/from work that were just as efficient as using my own car and during the summer, cycling actually was just as quick as using a car. For a number of years, I used to regularly walk just over 3km to downtown - didn't matter if it was -30C or not and in reality, rainy weather was the worst to walk in.

Now we have two kids at the UofC and transit works very well for them as we're on a direct bus route and taking a bicycle is under 20 minutes. Getting our kids to school when they were in grade school or higher wasn't a big deal either as all of our kid's schooling was within walking distance under 5 blocks) - problem is that many people living in the burbs don't have these kind of conveniences if you want to call them that.

Rage2's situation is typical of many families living in Calgary these days and our family, since I left TELUS to own our own business in the burb's, is similar - we now have to run a second vehicle because 30km across the city would involve two bus rides plus a train ride, easily a 75 minute plus commute one way plus operating our own business creates a lot more in-city travel then I would've ever imagined. Yeah, we used to run only one vehicle for a family of 5 and even at that, I know of families who do not own a vehicle by choice - they've located in an area that doesn't necessitate the need for a vehicle and they just get things delivered or rent a vehicle when they have to or use transit and they've been doing this for 30 years now.

Lifestyle choices dictate whether or not one really needs a vehicle or multiple vehicles and I look forward to see how this all pans out for Rage - a challenge it will most likely be.

nzwasp
10-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The full experience should be a week with -30c days.

Nothing put you back in a car quicker than freezing to death at station or suffocate in stuck train cars.

I don't have much to complain going to work with transit. Coming home is a whole other story.

You can't be more than 10 mins bus ride to Crowfoot, no?

2 mins I reckon - he could walk to the train station in 10 mins but maybe not at -30

Mibz
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Unless of course his job entails sitting at his desk 9-5 *cough*

I think the biggest change for him will be putting pants on in winter.

EK 2.0
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
*cough*

I think the biggest change for him will be putting pants on in winter.

Or not being able to wear flip flops....

I'll throw some money his way IF there is a video clip of Shelton riding the bus haha...I need proof....haha...

Like this...

0RhOQFu6Dl4

rage2
10-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Or not being able to wear flip flops....

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/6767BD29-7A66-4D9F-B44E-7459F6AFF7B6-5874-0000023AB24B3CBE.jpg

I'm gonna miss that. :(

dumplings
10-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I live in the suburbs and take the bus and train every morning to work downtown. Although there are obvious areas that could be improved, I dont think CT is that bad.

Back on topic, what rage is doing is going to a good cause so why are ppl bringing up first world problems :dunno:

rage2
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by taemo
1 week is not enough though IMO, 2-4 weeks would be better.
I'm thinking of upping it to 2-4 weeks depending on how much money is raised. $10k, 2 weeks, $20k 4 weeks...

Originally posted by taemo
other than cars, I would actually like to see a documentary about a family living without a phone or internet for a month.
Funny, I was thinking about doing this a few years ago. A little more extreme, move to a small town for a month, get a job, no phone, no outside contact. I've got more than enough banked vacation days to actually do this, but haven't had a chance to go for it yet.

Originally posted by nzwasp
2 mins I reckon - he could walk to the train station in 10 mins but maybe not at -30
30 minute walk to the train station from the house. It's definately bus + train to start any trip out of the house.

ZorroAMG
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Good for you Rage! Neat little documentary and raising money for the cause is fantastic!

I don't know why people with their own first world problems and their own stupid threads and posts bitching about stupid stuff are bothering to post here negatively.

Seriously, so if it's a first world problem it shouldn't be news? What would you suggest we do, ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist in an effort to feel more 3rd world? As the world evolves, so do our problems, how is this so hard to grasp?

White knights are for rom coms, by the way, tik tok...no need to Paul Rudd this thread.

Moonracer
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
At least this is something positive on the news rather than all the mostly negative crap they report.

rage2
10-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I don't know why people with their own first world problems and their own stupid threads and posts bitching about stupid stuff are bothering to post here negatively.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, life would be boring if everyone agreed on everything right?

roopi
10-17-2012, 11:18 AM

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, life would be boring if everyone agreed on everything right?

Wrong

speedog
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Wrong

:dunno: This (http://goo.gl/maps/3iO2A) - boring to some and just perfect for others.

rage2
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by speedog
:dunno: This (http://goo.gl/maps/3iO2A) - boring to some and just perfect for others.
No leaves to rake, no ugly power lines on greasy power poles made from logs. Perfection! :rofl:

Tik-Tok
10-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Lol, you can see my buddy's house in that spot.

NoMoreG35
10-17-2012, 11:43 AM

:confused:

roopi
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM

No leaves to rake, no ugly power lines on greasy power poles made from logs. Perfection! :rofl:

I was actually just saying that so I wouldn't be agreeing with you.

:D

ZorroAMG
10-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Whatever, dad.

96GrandAMGT
10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Good on ya Rage2! i think its admirable what your doing, i too refuse to use transit... i wish you luck with this:thumbsup:

89coupe
10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Haha, this may work for two dinks, but for the average young family, Impossible!

The Wife and I both work downtown, jobs are 8-5, my son goes to daycare, needs to be dropped off in the morning and picked up before 5:45pm, this is when the daycare closes.

We live in Aspen, daycare is a 20min drive from downtown.

No way in hell City Transportation could work.

canadian_hustla
10-17-2012, 07:17 PM
damn, good luck to you :thumbsup:

PS - I feel bad for watching most of the global news, including the segment about the bad cellphone reception and then saw a second of this segment but my wife turned it off to watch something else. :(

SQ2
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi all, just an update on the donation link - It should either be available today or Monday... As soon as I get notified that it's up on the foodbank website, I will let you know!

Thank you!

Canucks3322
10-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Saw him on the news :thumbsup:

Idiot Stick
10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Haha, this may work for two dinks, but for the average young family, Impossible!

The Wife and I both work downtown, jobs are 8-5, my son goes to daycare, needs to be dropped off in the morning and picked up before 5:45pm, this is when the daycare closes.

Pretty much.

Out here in Moncton, New Brunswick, the city bus drivers have been on strike since spring. Forcing everyone that uses that transit to walk, or take taxi's.

They want more than 24/hr...for those not in the know, thats a LOT back here. Call centers are 13/hr jobs for fuck sakes.

I know I couldn't do it simply because I am an on-site System Service tech, and need to be able to drive from one town/city to the next. Taxi's would get damn expensive damn quick.

Maxt
10-20-2012, 10:38 AM

But there are people in Calgary that believe everyone could function with either public transit or bicycle and automobile use is completely unneeded ... And that we are just not organized enough , cars have made us lazy an unprioritized. I had an argument online with one of these types that said any job could be accomplished without a car..It would be interesting to track the productivity of service people and trades sans car just to shut some of these dingbats up.

speedog
10-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Sure, the argument can be had that any job could be accomplished without a car, but the additional costs that would come with the extra time one would have to expend in getting to/from a work site would be huge. But then again, these (call them) green advocates don't want to acknowledge reality for what it is - the additional costs to us to get smoked beef bones from the place we purchase them in Airdrie to our shop in deep SW Calgary would make the end product so expensive as to make it unsaleable to the public. This is but one little example - my brother who installs kitchen cabinets for a living, doing that without a vehicle would be quite laughable.

Green advocates, especially the extreme ones - they just don't get it. It takes decades to change a lifestyle culture and even then, it may not happen because with affluence usually comes extravagances and this often includes a much more mobile culture.

max_boost
10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
When is the challenge? Any dates set yet?

Good on you raj, will definitely donate to a good cause.

I remember the days of waiting in the cold for the bus that never came haha

:banghead: :rofl:

roopi
10-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by SQ2
Hi all, just an update on the donation link - It should either be available today or Monday... As soon as I get notified that it's up on the foodbank website, I will let you know!

Thank you!

Any update on the link?

403Gemini
10-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Do a month, either November or February. Not December or January since people get time off during those months so at least 1-2 weeks of each of those months city transit is relatively empty (right around Christmas / New Years). November or February will be cold enough that you need to bundle up, busses will be late, trains will be delayed / break down and both will be PACKED.

Also, try to take both bus/train. Some neighbourhoods have direct buses from 1 block from their homes to 1-2 blocks to their office. People who take the bus, then train... that's a whole other pain ;)

And to think I gave up my job working from home to move back into the office starting Nov 5th... least im car pooling with 3 friends so the price won't be terrible each month and I get their company vs the crazies on the train :rofl:

I took the train for 4 years working downtown and fucking hated it. Nothing worse than christmas eve, taking the train home and about a dozen natives get into a fight on the train, and blood all over one of the cars from the fight - the train was locked down for 3~ hours as the police took statements, they had to contain the car due to bio risk (blood/spit).

SQ2
10-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Alright, I finally have a donation link for you! Here it is:

http://calgaryfoodbank.akaraisin.com/repliconcarfreeforaweek

Thanks to all!!

Xtrema
10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Any update on the link?

sputnik
10-23-2012, 03:55 PM

rage2's girlfriend has a kid.

roopi
10-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by SQ2
Alright, I finally have a donation link for you! Here it is:

Thanks to all!!

Donated! Hope you two reach your goal. :thumbsup:

Feruk
10-23-2012, 04:39 PM
At first I thought this was a stupid idea. Then I realized... I donate to people every November for growing out some peach fuzz. :nut: More sacrifice here.

NoMoreG35
10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
At first I thought this was a stupid idea. Then I realized... I donate to people every November for growing out some peach fuzz. :nut: More sacrifice here.

I donate to ppl who shave their heads.

max_boost
10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Looking forward to the rage2 spotting w/pics when this challenge takes effect. :D

SQ2
10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I believe there's some sort of policy on here as well that donations to charity mean a bump in your user rating... :)

zipdoa
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by SQ2
I believe there's some sort of policy on here as well that donations to charity mean a bump in your user rating... :)

If this is the case... I donated to Mibz 24-hour gaming cause! BRING ON THE RATINGS!

Mibz
10-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, fuck. He didn't bump up my rating for my last donation, he damn well better do this one!

I wanna see at least 101%!

Tik-Tok
10-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

It's not the idea Rage is doing something for charity I think is stupid, (it's awesome he does stuff like this for any charity at all) it's the documentary that's only asking for 1 week without a car I think is lame.

I'll donate $50 for every week Rage2 goes without a car above and beyond the first one. After all, Movember is a month, not 7 days ;)

msommers
10-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't know if that rating system works or I'd be at like 197% haha.

rage2
10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
It's not the idea Rage is doing something for charity I think is stupid, (it's awesome he does stuff like this for any charity at all) it's the documentary that's only asking for 1 week without a car I think is lame.

I'll donate $50 for every week Rage2 goes without a car above and beyond the first one. After all, Movember is a month, not 7 days ;)
Moustache March is a month for normal people, I cheated and started my moustache in December a few years ago because I needed the extra months. :rofl:

Like I said, if we make the $10k target, I'll be more than happy to extend it.

benyl
10-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Mibz, somebody better be hitting BOOST on my user rating 4 times...

Make it happen.

Mibz
10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Mibz, somebody better be hitting BOOST on my user rating 4 times...

Make it happen. http://imgur.com/pXMUB.jpg

Trust me man, I would if I could.

benyl
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
haha, I saw the same error when I tried it. kenny, raj2?

EK 2.0
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by benyl

haha, I saw the same error when I tried it. kenny, raj2?

It was my understanding that only kenny and raj could increase boost levels....

the rest of us....well they've seen how we moderate...and we have heavy fingers.../FnF reference...

st184
10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Excited to see the results of this! Good on you Rage.

Canmorite
10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Any updates?

After yesterday's cluster fuck in the downtown, and everydays slow commute, I can't wait until I can afford to live downtown or never, ever take transit again :thumbsup:

msommers
10-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Hilarious how some are desperately wanting that rating boost :rofl:

FullFledgedYYC
10-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Hopefully our city council/mayor gets to see the results of this to understand how absolutely fucking terrible our transit system is.

msommers
10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Look at the area they're supposed to cover and the resulting population density. It's no surprise transit isn't great. Everyone keeps bitching about transit sucking but then move out to the burbs and hope to have exceptional service. :banghead:

clem24
10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Donated. In for pics and tons of CTrain disruptions! :D

max_boost
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
I just wanna drive by rage2 while he is at the bus stop so I can pull a Nelson and say "HA HA" and then proceed to the nearest computer and make a donation.

:D

FullFledgedYYC
10-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Look at the area they're supposed to cover and the resulting population density. It's no surprise transit isn't great. Everyone keeps bitching about transit sucking but then move out to the burbs and hope to have exceptional service. :banghead:

I live right by glenmore trail... .hardly "burb"

It's pathetic.