PDA

View Full Version : Two insurance policy on same vehicle but didnt know

1RaZoR1
10-18-2012, 06:20 PM
So i guess i have been paying for two insurance policy on the same vehicle, one with full coverage (this is the one i though i cancelled) and the other with just liability. They are two different companies. But i just found out today that its not cancelled and that they have been taking payments out from my visa for the past 5 months.

So i called them up today when i got home and told them that i thought i had cancelled it and that i have a new insurance policy with a different company with only liability for the past 5 months. Buddy said no you still have full coverage with us and we've been taking our payments every month. They also told me that i never signed anything cancelling my policy.

So the full coverge insurance (the one i thought i cancelled) said to come to their office and show them the new policy that i got and that they may refund my money for those 5months.

I rarely drive this vehicle anymore because i purchased a new vehicle like 4 months that i use as my daily driver.

So i when up to meet with them and when i was sitting down with them in their office i remembered that i got hail damaged to this vehicle during that hail storm back in august. I told the insurance person and said well if my policy wasnt cancelled and i was paying for full coverage i would like to put a claim in for the damages from the hail.

He made a call to someone and said they will have to get back to me later this week to see if i can claim the damages or just get my money back for those 5months.

My question is if they come back and say i cant claim the hail damages can i fight that?

MrSector9
10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
say " i never signed anything cancelling my insurance"

that was their excuse.

Jeeper1986
10-19-2012, 12:05 AM
lol kinda the same thing happend to my friend.

He crashed his bike and the insurance paid him for the bike and then they were still charging him insurance for like 6 mons hahaha, he did get his money back tho.

as for your problem just tell them what they told u " i never signed anything cancelling my insurance"

but i think if u do a claim then the insurance you got now might go up since u claimed with another company or am i wrong ?

Masked Bandit
10-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Jeeper1986

but i think if u do a claim then the insurance you got now might go up since u claimed with another company or am i wrong ?

The OP has nothing to worry about there for a couple of reasons. The biggest is that a hail claim doesn't affect your future pricing. The other reason is that once a policy is set up & running, the new company doesn't go back an recheck someone's insurance history a few months later.

We see this situation (sort of) from time to time and as long as there is proof of when the new policy was started it's never a problem to get the old policy cancellation back dated. The claim in the middle however provides an interesting twist. I'm afraid I can't offer you an absolute answer. Realistically I could see this going either way BUT my gut instinct tells me that you will be covered for the loss as you still have not signed anything to cancel the policy.

The reason why you're not "allowed" to run two policies at the same time is because in the event of an accident, which policy has to pay out? That would be true for you IF you were involved in an at-fault collision (the liability portion of your policy would pay) but since this is hail damage and you only had that coverage on one policy, I think it might go through. The downside I guess is that you're not going to get your five months worth of payments back.

1RaZoR1
10-22-2012, 09:42 AM
So they told me that I'm not allowed to go forth with the claim but they will give me back my money for those 5 months and to come in and sign a cancellation form.

Masked Bandit
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by 1RaZoR1
So they told me that I'm not allowed to go forth with the claim but they will give me back my money for those 5 months and to come in and sign a cancellation form.

That's not a giant surprise really. At least you'll have the refund money to put towards fixing the damage should you chose to go that route.

DEATH2000
10-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by 1RaZoR1
Why are you not allowed to claim damage on a vehicle you were paying insurance on? I would think the damage claim would be worth more then the 5 months of premiums so I would fight to have them cover that if i wanted the damage fixed.

Masked Bandit
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Why are you not allowed to claim damage on a vehicle you were paying insurance on? I would think the damage claim would be worth more then the 5 months of premiums so I would fight to have them cover that if i wanted the damage fixed.

Because as soon as you start a new insurance policy the old one is void, even if you are still paying on it. That's why they are refunding his premiums.