PDA

View Full Version : Dbag driver... illegal u-turn is better than running the red light?!??

Thaco
10-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Caught this on my dash cam tonight, what an asshat!

oEwqq7S5Vd4

Squishy
10-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that's illegal.

quick_scar
10-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I see this all the time when going up macleod trail on friday or saturday nights. Its stupid how much of a rush people are in to go drink that they will risk the safety of others to save 30 seconds.

Thaco
10-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar
I see this all the time when going up macleod trail on friday or saturday nights. Its stupid how much of a rush people are in to go drink that they will risk the safety of others to save 30 seconds. yeah, i just dont get it... they think somehow by going around the intersection they're breaking the law less?... if you're gonna be an ass, you may as well quit fucking around and just run the light... it's no differnt than what they're already doing...

AE92_TreunoSC
10-18-2012, 11:33 PM
See it all over the city. Moreso when I'm in the NE but its just easier on 36 and 52nd.

I PRAAAAAAAY for a cop and it never happens.

beyond_ban
10-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Yo just testin out my new suspension bra

dirtsniffer
10-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Didn't catch the plate eh?

Kloubek
10-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Douchebag move - sure. But could this not have been put in the thread where all the other douchebag videos are housed?

Mibz
10-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I do that all the time on NB MacLeod at Avenida and SB MacLeod at 194th depending on traffic. Douchebag how exactly? I'm not interfering with anybody else's driving and I'd love to see an argument calling it unsafe. No denying it's illegal, but yeah, an illegal U-turn is WAY BETTER than running a red light.

Love the attitude of "If you're gonna break one law you might as well break them all", ha. You guys are fucking silly sometimes.

Hatehate hatehatehatehate

crazy_c_187
10-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I do that all the time on NB MacLeod at Avenida and SB MacLeod at 194th depending on traffic. Douchebag how exactly? I'm not interfering with anybody else's driving and I'd love to see an argument calling it unsafe. No denying it's illegal, but yeah, an illegal U-turn is WAY BETTER than running a red light.

Love the attitude of "If you're gonna break one law you might as well break them all", ha. You guys are fucking silly sometimes.

Really?

Mibz
10-19-2012, 07:02 AM
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/countygrind/pimped-out-chappelle1.jpg

Thaco
10-19-2012, 07:09 AM

you're doing the exact same thing... crossing traffic... like 4 feet to the right of the intersection...

I really hope you're trolling, becaus eif you honestly think this is ok, then the human race is fucked.

Thaco
10-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Douchebag move - sure. But could this not have been put in the thread where all the other douchebag videos are housed? it is in there, but that's the "bad driver" thread... show me the "blatent douchbaggery" thread.. i thought this one was a little more deserving than to get buried under 10 pages of OMGBADMERGE!

Mibz
10-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Well okay, let's talk through this, because I don't think you're an idiot. I'm not gonna comment on the guy you recorded because, honestly, I don't know that intersection at all. Maybe there are lots of cars or pedestrians or something and it actually is dangerous there. If that's the case you won't hear any argument from me.

Here's my thinking for the two intersections I mentioned, criteria have to be met before I'll pull this move.

MacLeod and Avenida
- There has to be some WB traffic waiting to turn South.
- I have to see the "Prepare to stop" lights start flashing. This lets me know that my light is about to turn red and the WB light is about to turn green. This is where the "not interfering with anybody" comes in. If the light allowing SB traffic to turn East were to go, I'd either be yielding to them and gaining nothing or cutting them off and being a douche.
- There has to be enough traffic ahead of me that I'm gaining something significant. If all I'm doing is skipping the red light then yeah, not a whole lot is gained because it's a relatively short light. But if I can get 20 cars ahead, I'm gonna take it.
- As a worst case scenario, say there's traffic going WB but they don't get the light for some reason, I will just turn right like I'm supposed to at that intersection and go around the long way. It's never happened, but the opportunity is there.

MacLeod and 194th
- There has to be WB traffic waiting for a green
- I have to have missed, or know I'm going to miss, my green arrow
- There either has to be a ton of traffic turning left in front of me or I have to poop, cause this one doesn't save me a whole lot of time otherwise.
In this case I pull the U-turn and wait at the light to cross MacLeod.

There are also no pedestrian crossings at either intersection.

Listen, I understand that people get upset when others do illegal things to get ahead, I really do. Sometimes they piss me off too, but only if it negatively affects other drivers. I really don't care how you drive as long as you're not interfering with me, and that's the logic that I apply to these situations.

I honestly believe that nobody is harmed by my maneuvers, if you can bring up something I haven't considered then I'm willing to hear it, but I have a feeling I've put far more thought into this than anybody calling it douchey.

If this is just a matter of us disagreeing on what's acceptable when driving, then we're going to continue to disagree.

crazy_c_187
10-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Well okay, let's talk through this, because I don't think you're an idiot. I'm not gonna comment on the guy you recorded because, honestly, I don't know that intersection at all. Maybe there are lots of cars or pedestrians or something and it actually is dangerous there. If that's the case you won't hear any argument from me.

Here's my thinking for the two intersections I mentioned, criteria have to be met before I'll pull this move.

MacLeod and Avenida
- There has to be some WB traffic waiting to turn South.
- I have to see the "Prepare to stop" lights start flashing. This lets me know that my light is about to turn red and the WB light is about to turn green. This is where the "not interfering with anybody" comes in. If the light allowing SB traffic to turn East were to go, I'd either be yielding to them and gaining nothing or cutting them off and being a douche.
- There has to be enough traffic ahead of me that I'm gaining something significant. If all I'm doing is skipping the red light then yeah, not a whole lot is gained because it's a relatively short light. But if I can get 20 cars ahead, I'm gonna take it.
- As a worst case scenario, say there's traffic going WB but they don't get the light for some reason, I will just turn right like I'm supposed to at that intersection and go around the long way. It's never happened, but the opportunity is there.

MacLeod and 194th
- There has to be WB traffic waiting for a green
- I have to have missed, or know I'm going to miss, my green arrow
- There either has to be a ton of traffic turning left in front of me or I have to poop, cause this one doesn't save me a whole lot of time otherwise.
In this case I pull the U-turn and wait at the light to cross MacLeod.

There are also no pedestrian crossings at either intersection.

Listen, I understand that people get upset when others do illegal things to get ahead, I really do. Sometimes they piss me off too, but only if it negatively affects other drivers. I really don't care how you drive as long as you're not interfering with me, and that's the logic that I apply to these situations.

I honestly believe that nobody is harmed by my maneuvers , if you can bring up something I haven't considered then I'm willing to hear it, but I have a feeling I've put far more thought into this than anybody calling it douchey.

If this is just a matter of us disagreeing on what's acceptable when driving, then we're going to continue to disagree.

You and this post is the prime example of why we have dash cams and why we have bad driver threads. Your so self righteous in your reasoning to break the law its sad.

Mibz
10-19-2012, 07:43 AM
Thaco, I'm really hoping you come up with something better than this guy. He seems like the type that would call the Cops if I rolled through a stop sign.

crazy_c_187
10-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Well your obvivously a troll , This thread is intresting but with responses like yours i'll end my response's. Hope you get nailed doing your "maneuver" and try and talk your way out of it to the police.

spikerS
10-19-2012, 08:03 AM
actually, I am not sure if what he did is illegal, I don't know that intersection and can't see things properly in this video, but here are my thoughts.

u-turns in calgary ARE illegal at any controlled intersection, but as philz and dayglow have pointed out in the past, you can pull a u-turn between intersections.

So for example, if he made the right turn, pulled a u-turn away from the intersection, headed back to the intersection, and made another right turn to merge back onto the original street, the only infraction I can see is speeding...

I don't know, maybe I am not interpreting dayglow and Phils past comments on this.

Mibz
10-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure you are. You're not allowed to U-turn between intersections. Lemme try and find the exact wording.

EDIT:

Restrictions on making U-turn
30 A person driving a vehicle shall not, at the following locations,
turn the vehicle so as to travel in the opposite direction:
(a) in the case of an urban area,
(i) on a roadway between intersections,
(ii) at an alley intersection, or
(iii) at an intersection where one or more of the highways
is an access to a public or private facility to which
the public normally has access;
(b) in the case of an urban area or a non-urban area,
(i) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn, or
(ii) at an intersection controlled by a traffic control
signal unless specifically permitted by a traffic
control device.
If you were Toma I suppose you could argue that he never went in the opposite direction, haha.

Masked Bandit
10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
To my knowledge u-turns are not universally illegal. They are only illegal A) at a controled intersection (traffic lights / stop signs) or B) where posted (no u-turn signs). The issue I see here is that he basically u-turned in the middle of the road. I don't think that's illegal EXCEPT for the fact that this close to the intersection he probably crossed a double solid yellow line in the process which would be illegal.

Mibz I know exactly what you're talking about at 194th (I live in Chaparral) and I use the same decision process you do when approaching. To the people reading this, the big difference is that West of the intersection, the road is a dead end. I just goes into a City of Calgary compound so there is no traffic coming out of there.

Tik-Tok
10-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
Dbag driver... illegal u-turn is better than running the red light?!??

From a fine/demerits point of view, it's much better. $115, 2 demerits, VS $400 and 3 demerits.

Only problem is if a cop busts you doing the u-turn like that, he'll likely also charge you with careless driving or something.

TYMSMNY
10-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Uturn situation - I don't think that was a uturn... he turned right in the correct lane but just decided to cut across the (presumably) double solid yellow lines. There was no median for him to Uturn so the ticket would be for illegal turn?? or something? :confused:

plus, the driver wasn't "weaving in and out"... a little :whipped:

Modelexis
10-19-2012, 09:30 AM
I've done that before in heavy traffic, right in front of a cop, pulled me over and gave me a warning. :)

The lights were poorly timed and I was just relieving some congestion. Was late getting back to work during lunch.

cr0n1c
10-19-2012, 10:08 AM

hahaha. I think i've done this as well.

Tomaz
10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I have done this on Barlow South and 106th ave. Signs everywhere too... meh.

I have also used off/on ramps to achieve the same result (Glenmore SB, take Deerfoot NB ramp which continues back onto Glenmore. Deerfoot NB, take 16th ramp, and come back down on Deerfoot)

I have always stated that there is a time and place to do this stuff and within reason. What the guy did in the video was a bit ballsy as it looked like he crossed traffic, where all that mibz does is enter a "driveway" to turn around. If one wants to be technical... lol

PS: I haven't done any of those moves in many years, just saying I have done so, in the past, a long time ago.... What is the "statute of limitations" in Canada? lol

Thaco
10-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Uturn situation - I don't think that was a uturn... he turned right in the correct lane but just decided to cut across the (presumably) double solid yellow lines. There was no median for him to Uturn so the ticket would be for illegal turn?? or something? :confused:

plus, the driver wasn't "weaving in and out"... a little :whipped: yes he was, the camera does not point behind me...

guessboi
10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

From a fine/demerits point of view, it's much better. $115, 2 demerits, VS $400 and 3 demerits.

Only problem is if a cop busts you doing the u-turn like that, he'll likely also charge you with careless driving or something.

+1. I see a careless driving ticket here (major conviction)

know1edge
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure you are. You're not allowed to U-turn between intersections. Lemme try and find the exact wording.

EDIT:

If you were Toma I suppose you could argue that he never went in the opposite direction, haha.

Well I dunno if this part applies to that area

Restrictions on making U-turn
30 A person driving a vehicle shall not, at the following locations,
turn the vehicle so as to travel in the opposite direction:
(a) in the case of an urban area,
(i) on a roadway between intersections,
(ii) at an alley intersection, or
(iii) at an intersection where one or more of the highways
is an access to a public or private facility to which
the public normally has access;
(b) in the case of an urban area or a non-urban area,
(i) at a place where a sign prohibits making a U-turn, or
(ii) at an intersection controlled by a traffic control
signal unless specifically permitted by a traffic
control device.

Mibz
10-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Oh geez, I didn't even notice the part I bolded was a subsection. You're totally right.

M.alex
10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
I do that all the time. Who cares.:dunno:

Nufy
10-19-2012, 04:55 PM
East bound Southland at Blackfoot...

I see plenty of douchebags turning into the city parks parking lot to skip the light and keep going...

heavyfuel
10-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Who the fuck cares, really

speedog
10-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
This really, people doing that type of shit run a greater possibility of getting creamed or getting caught doing it right in front of a police officer.

One weird thing the city has done is on WB Beddington Trail at Berkshire Boulevard - a sort of legal loophole (blue line) that allows one to beat the stopped left turn lanes (orange line) on WB Beddington onto Berkshire. Not sure how this came to be, but I use it every time I'm going that way onto Berkshire from Beddington...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5040260/pics/bed-berk.png

speeed
10-19-2012, 06:24 PM
^ That's probably because of the Harvest Hills Blvd exit ramp coming on to Beddington WB, especially during rush hour it's not always easy to cut across 4 lanes to get into the Birkshire turn lane. I use this every time I'm going that way also

4DoorGTZ
10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Theres another one of these "sanctioned" uturn to beat a light places, 14th st southbound, turn into heritage park then uturn to head east on heritage drive. It has some time restrictions though.

Avenida, I do that all the time too. But I dont do the uturn right at the intersection. I take the right, stop at the 3way, go left and down the street to turn back onto macleod. This way is 100% legal if you dont speed, and still gets you ahead if the traffic is backed up all the way to canyon meadows. Helps if you need to turn onto Anderson anyways you just dont merge back to macleod you make them merge into your offramp lane. I do it in my car, but the work truck just doesnt have the cornering/braking/acceleration to make it work. You kinda have to brake late, hope for a quick stop and get on it up to 50kmh to make it worth while.

Too many people are using the deerfoot meadows bypass to get ahead on southbound deerfoot. Now the bottleneck is the people waiting in line to go through the southland intersection or westbound southland gets backed up at the blackfoot lights.... How long till they widen the damn deerfoot bridge over the river to 3 lanes each way..... thats what causes the morning backups back to 130ave and the afternoon backups to pegan tr.

syritis
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

I bet you would when this driver pulls in front of you and wrecks your car. bad habits get people killed.

AudiPWR
10-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Who gives a fuck?

EG6boi
10-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Too bad the traffic cop wasn't there at the 7-11 and Centex gas station. I usually slow down because they radar gun at that intersection; the same direction you were driving through.

SkiBum5.0
11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Amazed that people think is alright. What if there is someone on a bike in the lane perpendicular to the camera? How about pedestrians?
What if a car the dbag doesn't see swerves to miss him and hits a pedestrian?
I'm assuming the people who think this is fine have never been in an accident caused by someone else.

quorum
11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I think that people who get overly riled about traffic signs seem to be the first to ignore the "slower traffic keep right" sign; why? because they're so overly riled about making sure other people follow traffic signs to the point of maverick enforcement.

Traffic signs exist because generally people are stupid and don't exercise common sense. If people simply exercise common sense, then I have no problems with people travelling at 200kmph. Why not - they allow that in some countries. But because people are stupid and can't slow down in urban areas, or when there's children around we have these idiotic 30kmph signs. I would rather have a sign that says "Playground area" and have people act like responsible citizens.

I think those rules about u-turns are overly strict. Sometimes you have to drive for 5 minutes to be able to do a legal u-turn if you miss a turn-off.

If I was king of the world, I'd have extremely strict driving tests that focus on driver awareness, defensive driving, advanced driving techniques, and common sense. Then we wouldn't have to worry about idiot signs that cater to the lowest common denominator.

The problem with society is that it's focused on "rights" and not "responsibilities". Society thinks backwards in my opinion.

Isaiah
11-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by speedog

This really, people doing that type of shit run a greater possibility of getting creamed or getting caught doing it right in front of a police officer.

One weird thing the city has done is on WB Beddington Trail at Berkshire Boulevard - a sort of legal loophole (blue line) that allows one to beat the stopped left turn lanes (orange line) on WB Beddington onto Berkshire. Not sure how this came to be, but I use it every time I'm going that way onto Berkshire from Beddington...

Not actually a 'legal loophole' as you say since you're crossing not a single white line, which is illegal, but two of them.

Not that I care, really, just pointing it out in case you're doing it because you think it's legal. I'm firmly in the 'do not care how others drive' category myself and actually find it a little pathetic that people invest so much time worrying about others instead of focusing on how to improve themselves. It's called self-righteousness.

Cos
11-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Tik-Tok
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Cos

There is this on southbound 14th and heritage too I think. People pull u-turns in the parking lot and go straight through the light.

It's not a loophole, the city obviously has no problem with it since they put this sign up.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/uturn.png

slinkie
11-09-2012, 03:14 AM
People do this at 44th and memorial all the time too

soupey
11-09-2012, 10:05 AM
i used to do this along memorial way back in highschool...probably still safer than cutting a red. that dude in the vid just did it really quickly and carelessly.

that said, i don't think i ever feel like im in a rush enough anymore to pull stunts like that.

Supa Dexta
11-11-2012, 08:01 AM
How anyone thinks its safer to do that then run a red is baffling..

Running a red - you slow and look both ways, with a clear view in either direction (except for possibly a late view to the left, if theres stopped traffic to your left), not changing your course, or moving out of a known clear path - but 'running a red' is seen as a really bad idea

doing the u turn - you are entering an active intersection at an angle and turning back into the direction that you need to shoulder check towards, as well as concentrating on making the corners, possible pedestrians, etc. - but its 'just a u turn' and you think you're getting away with something???

hahaha thats allllll kinds of sense. :facepalm:

The maneuvers themselves have a known consequence, and the ONLY thing I can see as thinking the uturn is better, is the slight possibility of talking your way out of it to a cop, where as theres no chance of that by running a red. When it comes down to it though running a red would be the safer option.

btimbit
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
I do that all the time. I have no issue with it, EXCEPT with the obvious speed and recklessness in this particular video.

If I were to do it, I'd slow right down, yield, do a u-turn when legal rather than right the fuck there, and there'd have to be a lot more traffic to make it worth-while. And that sounds like what a few others in this thread do as well. It's not like we turn off, blitz across a few lanes, back onto the road and giv'r. THAT'S definitely illegal, like how the driver in the video did it.

TheStigz
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
fuck it.. i pull handbrakes and do u's (FWD)

quicker, and safer, brian-o'conner school of driving.

clem24
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
People do this a lot on 14th Ave and University Dr as soon as you exit SB Crow. Ever since they put up the "do not turn left" signs on Hamilton St, people just go through the intersection then pull an illegal U-turn into the exit from 13th Ave onto University Dr. All because they can't wait the 30 seconds for the light to change.

Jeff TYPE R
01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
How anyone thinks its safer to do that then run a red is baffling..
100% disagree.

Running a red requires:

-looking in THREE different directions (left, right, ahead)
-while travelling at...50-70km/h (in this instance)

U turn requires:

-looking ONE direction only (straight ahead for oncoming traffic)
-slowing down to a near stop...10km/h.

Where you are confused is that you are talking about this maneuver as if you have to do a million things at once. You don't. First you make a legal right turn, then the "illegal" u-turn, then another legal right turn.

Now honestly, if you can't handle assessing the safety of an "illegal" u-turn wherein you're practically stopped and only looking straight ahead for oncoming traffic, I would question whether you're fit to be driving at all. Driving safety is about paying attention, vehicle control, and situational assessment. In my opinion, it is not a matter of what move is more illegal or carries more demerits.

I've never pulled this move myself before, but Mibz, don't mind the haters. Those are probably the same guys that'll wait 2 minutes at an empty intersection at 5am because the red light told them to.

crazy_c_187
01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
I understand why ppl give calgary drivers a bad rap, ppl like this guy above and this Mibz guy are some of the biggest douche bag drivers given the statements they have made here. I feel this site has degraded to the fact ppl defend bad driving and arrogant driving practices. A Shame to see such a great site be filled with these arrogant selfish drivers, so long.

Mibz
01-13-2013, 12:16 PM
You heard it here first, guys:

GTS Jeff and Mibz are ruining Beyond.

Supa Dexta
01-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

100% disagree.

Running a red requires:

-looking in THREE different directions (left, right, ahead)
-while travelling at...50-70km/h (in this instance)

U turn requires:

-looking ONE direction only (straight ahead for oncoming traffic)
-slowing down to a near stop...10km/h.

Where you are confused is that you are talking about this maneuver as if you have to do a million things at once. You don't. First you make a legal right turn, then the "illegal" u-turn, then another legal right turn.

blah blah blah[/I]

Nah I'm not saying there's a million things, but there is more to observe than continuing on a straight path.. Break it down as basic as it gets - there's always more chances of things known and unknown occurring when straying from a straight line, then maintaining one.

Disoblige
01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
You heard it here first, guys:

GTS Jeff and Mibz are ruining Beyond.
A first maybe for you Mibz. I'm sure there were other instances where other members thought GTS Jeff was ruining Beyond :rofl:

Thaco
01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

A first maybe for you Mibz. I'm sure there were other instances where other members thought GTS Jeff was ruining Beyond :rofl: thought?

Mibz
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah, it's pretty flattering to be elevated to the company of GTS Jeff.

amear
01-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by crazy_c_187
I understand why ppl give calgary drivers a bad rap, ppl like this guy above and this Mibz guy are some of the biggest douche bag drivers given the statements they have made here. I feel this site has degraded to the fact ppl defend bad driving and arrogant driving practices. A Shame to see such a great site be filled with these arrogant selfish drivers, so long.

Who shat in your corn flakes?:nut:

masoncgy
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by speedog

hahaha... I used to do this everyday when I lived in Sandstone.

The reason it's set up like that is because of the number of people who need to get from Harvest Hills Blvd to Berkshire. You have to cross three lanes of traffic to hit the left turn lane, fun times during peak periods.

Originally posted by Isaiah

Not actually a 'legal loophole' as you say since you're crossing not a single white line, which is illegal, but two of them.

Not that I care, really, just pointing it out in case you're doing it because you think it's legal. I'm firmly in the 'do not care how others drive' category myself and actually find it a little pathetic that people invest so much time worrying about others instead of focusing on how to improve themselves. It's called self-righteousness.

You are not crossing any white lines at that particular spot. Lines are removed to allow traffic to do this manuever as shown in the illustration. Perfectly legal, regardless of whether or not you approach from the merge lane from Harvest Hills or you cut over from Beddington Blvd to hit this and beat the line of left turning traffic.