PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a nissan frontier

t3rry
02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
whatta you guys think of this truck, do you know anybody that has one?, are they happy with it?.. it'll be the first import i had ever purchased... still not sure about it.

T5_X
02-11-2004, 04:27 PM
5.9 R/T has one.

They're nice trucks, personally I would not get one because they have performed poorly in crash tests.

I am a big supporter of Rangers, but if you have the money you can not go wrong with a Taco

RickDaTuner
02-11-2004, 05:33 PM
Ive had a frointier In my house for about 2 years now.. cant really say anything bad about them other than the Poor poor fuel consumption..

but the good points are.. nice Stiff ride, wicked rear LSD, pumping Rockford fosgate system, the Sub could have been a bit more powerfull though.. good stability when making abrupt manuvers, the S/C model wich is the model we have isnt all that impresive in terms of power though.. 210hp i think it was rated Imo way to underpowered for a truck.. but all in all a good veichle

the frontier was desinged and is produced only in NA and Mexico they dont offer it in japan

mm other things i could say is that, the sift on the fly 4X4 can be a littel picky sometimes when you are moving and switching it.. sometimes we get a nice big thump..

ugh another thing that I have noticed witht his truck is that on the colder days when you leave it parked outside the transmission tends to be a bit sluggish and lazy at temputure of minus 25 the tranny will stick in 2nd gear when on the highway

and finally because the S/C model comes with a rear LSD you will see rapid tire Wear we only have about 60k on our and the tires are hella bald

Ive taken it off roading before pretty damn good tracion when on 4 low but because the crew cab model is so long Ground clearance became a Issue for me when crawling over rocks..

but a wicked thing is that you can Drift this truck on gravel and not worry about it rolling, its super stable !!

t3rry
02-11-2004, 06:15 PM
thanks for the input

5.9 R/T
02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Don't. After living with the non-S/C (SE) club cab version for almost a year now I wouldn't get another one.

Positives:
Exterior styling
Sound system
Locking tailgate
Roof rack
Fairly Reliable so far
The 4wd system handles the sticky stuff fairly well

Negatives:
Road feel is a little on the numb side
Interior quality - everything looks and feels cheap, lots of road noise, doors are paper thin.
POWER even the S/C version is pretty weak, this is the first vehicle i've seen that needs to drop down a gear on highway 2 to make it up some of the hills with NO LOAD. It's gutless. And with the computer controlled tranny it takes forever for it to drop a gear unless you have the pedal to the floor.
The front hubs need to be disengauged after being in 4wd by going into reverse for about 5-10ft. I've owned two previous part time 4wd cars and neither needed to do this.

Basically I would stay away from it. Either spend the extra money on a Taco or stick with the domestics and get way more for you're money. The Dakota I had previous was built 10X better then this thing. It looks like a truck and can do truck like things but it just isn't truck enough for me.

hockeybronx
02-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Frontiers are pretty nice.

If I were you I would go for the Xterra's, man I love those things.

If you do go for the Frontier make sure you get the Supercharged version, I've heard the non-supercharged engines are a little weak.