PDA

View Full Version : Help! Building a garage

aypi
10-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Here is my situation, I'm building a 24x20x9 garage this coming spring using a garage builder company. I just can't decide if I will pay the extra $1000 to get a gas line on the garage or use the money and get a 60 amp panel instead and use a 240v electric heater.

2 of the garage builder that I talked to told me that most home owners are going the electric heater route because it's cheaper and its more practical. It is true because after getting a gas line, gas heater and installation I'll be at $3-$4000. And I will need to upgrade my electrical panel anyways if I want to run more electrical on the garage.

I will not be doing any major car repair or anything like that on the garage. It's basically for parking my cars and bike and do some maintenance work. Also planning to put a fridge and a tv so that I can use it to hang out with friends every now and then (I have 2 kids so sometimes I just want my own space. LOL)

The question is, is it worth the extra money to get a gas line or just use an electric heater?

Thanks!

C_Dave45
10-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Gas. Hands down.
/thread.

mobius
10-20-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure it's more practical to use electric heat down the line due to running costs. Maybe in a well insulated building, but in a garage where the door will be opening all the time letting the warm air out...

Darell_n
10-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Gas. Hands down.
/thread.

Absolutely, we are in Alberta.

Unknown303
10-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Gas. Hands down.
/thread.

:werd:

Cos
10-21-2012, 09:29 AM

FraserB
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Cos
For 1k. Do it. Good re-selling feature even if you dont use it. Get 240 run as well. That way someone can have a heater, welder, lift, whatever the next person (or yourself) wants.

Totally agree. If I was looking for a place and it had gas and 240V run, it would be huge points in favor of the house, probably to the point where I would compromise on other aspects.

InRich
10-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Gas. Hands down.
/thread.

yeap, this is a no brainer.. make sure u get a calcana heater in there afterwards.

tsi_neal
10-21-2012, 05:13 PM
i use a 240 volt electric heater, was only going to be the first year after the garage was built and 4 years later I'm still using it. i only keep the garage at about 5 degrees unless I'm working in there then i bring it up to 15 or so. real cost is about $30 per month. heat recovery after the door is opened is terrible. there is no question that a gas fired radiant heater is the best way to go but they aren't cheap to buy and install and aren't that much cheaper to run.

aypi
10-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. My original plan is to get a gas line in and I think that's what I'll do.

INRICH, how much will it cost me to have a calcana heater installed?

Tsi_neal, what kind of electric heater do you use? Do you think I can use one on a 40 amp panel? Do you run it 24/7 during winter? How long does it take to get the garage warm, like 15-20 degrees?

ryanallan
10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Cos
For 1k. Do it. Good re-selling feature even if you dont use it. Get 240 run as well. That way someone can have a heater, welder, lift, whatever the next person (or yourself) wants.
Or 240V for charging electric cars. Nice feature to have.

Cos
10-21-2012, 08:25 PM

aypi
10-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Yah, I'll just get a gas line in.

Here is another question, who have an ATTIC STORAGE TRUSS? How are they and is it worth the upgrade? The wife likes the idea of the extra storage space.

redrocket
10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I think the storage space is all up to you but do keep in mind make sure you get a light in there which will also cost a bit more.

InRich
10-21-2012, 10:15 PM
like $2400 installed roughly. its more expensive, but in the long run will save you WAY more money. that be like a CAL40-10'

Let me know I can hook that deal up for you. I'll call my old boss :thumbsup:

Cos
10-21-2012, 10:18 PM

tsi_neal
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by aypi

Tsi_neal, what kind of electric heater do you use? Do you think I can use one on a 40 amp panel? Do you run it 24/7 during winter? How long does it take to get the garage warm, like 15-20 degrees?

I cant remember what size panel I have, but its a 5kW heater, I set the thermostat and leave it. probably runs less than 10% of the time to maintain 5* even on the really cold days. I usually try and turn it up about an hour before I want to go out to do some work, id say it more likely takes 2-3 hours to bring it right up to temp as long as the door stays shut.

Originally posted by Cos

To warm a big garage to any decent temp that the door opens and closes a lot (especially a detached garage since it is exposed on all 6 sides) an electric heater isnt going to do much and if it does will double your electric bill.

Detached 22x22x9.5' garage, fully insulated, and the summer to winter electric bill is different by about 50 bucks total, that includes all the extra use in the house with the early evenings and heating the garage (granted to only 5*). Electric heat isnt nearly as good as gas but its a misnomer that it will cost an arm and a leg. I put the electric heat in the first winter I had the garage because the frost had set in by the time I was ready to dig the gas line and the electric was far cheaper than I had expected and works well enough.

With that said I always reccomend gas and radiant heaters, had one in my old plance and loved it, but 240v electric heat is better than most give credit.