PDA

View Full Version : Winter 2012/2013 Weather Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

spikerS
10-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Didn't even stick to the roads, but it did make them wet, and the Calf Robe bridge did get a bit slick...about a dozen vehicles paid the price...LOL

0NEoLs4cC5A

I don't get why the city just doesn't put some sort of heating in that bridge deck triggered by freezing temps to stop this from happening...

Boosted131
10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I saw those same ones, was going north though and for some reason north was backed up too

revelations
10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
What I dont get is why the city didnt ask the contractors last year to GROOVE the payment on the Crash Robe bridge.... like the flyover bridge to downtown :dunno:

If they heated the bridge, it would only need to be heated around -5c to 0c ambient temperatures .... anything below that the snow just blows off anyway. (driving conditions are the worst around -5c to 0c).

n1zm0
10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
i saw this probably just as it happened as there were no emergency vehicles there yet but there were lots of cars off to the side of the road that i could see

spikerS
10-21-2012, 12:08 PM
yeah, we were stopped about 80 yards behind it, had to make way for all the emergency vehicles to get past us, so it happened maybe 15 seconds before we got there.

Abeo
10-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by revelations
What I dont get is why the city didnt ask the contractors last year to GROOVE the payment on the Crash Robe bridge.... like the flyover bridge to downtown :dunno:

If they heated the bridge, it would only need to be heated around -5c to 0c ambient temperatures .... anything below that the snow just blows off anyway. (driving conditions are the worst around -5c to 0c).

Grooving is a great idea... but it seems they went for the "moon crater" surface treatment.

When you get steam off the river in -20, it gets mighty slick in the morning. I've seen plenty of people spin on bare concrete on the uphill going northbound in the morning. I don't understand how its so predictable when its going to be icy, but they don't do anything about it....

J-D
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

Grooving is a great idea... but it seems they went for the "moon crater" surface treatment.

When you get stream off the river in -20, it gets mighty slick in the morning. I've seen plenty of people spin on bare concrete on the uphill going northbound in the morning. I don't understand how its so predictable when its going to be icy, but they don't do anything about it....

Gotta love the sewage outflow right upstream of the calf robe that steams it up too.

speedog
10-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Same typical fools every year, don't matter what kind of vehicle/tires they've got. Saw 5 cars pounded up against the east side portland cement barrier a week ago on the bridge over the LRT from EB Anderson onto SB MacLeod - all that had happened weather wise was some snow/freezing rain that sure as shit is going to ice up multiple bridge decks and shazam, people driving like it's still summer and keeping the body shops busy.

Really, it's not a big deal, been driving for 35+ years now and haven't had a winter time accident and this all the while in a variety of FWD/RWD/4WD all season equipped vehicles. Have had many close calls where I've watched other fools come sliding towards me out of control because they have nary a clue as to how to operate their vehicle in slippery conditions and have only gotten out clean from these situations because I left myself enough room or an escape path.

Guess that's the biggest problem with most drivers - they have never been taught the dynamics of actually controlling their vehicle, how to perform skid control in a FWD versus RWD vehicle. Everyone needs to get out on a gravel road or on a slippery piece of road once in a while and run at a good speed to learn how to really operate their vehicle. They need to learn what their vehicle's various control systems can do (or not do) because operating a modern vehicle in adverse conditions is a whole lot different than a 1980's or older non-computerized vehicle - hell, I know so many people who haul off and pump the brakes on their ABS equipped vehicle because they just don't have a clue what their vehicle does, same people who are pounding these barriers on icy bridge decks because they just are too stupid to acknowledge that changing weather conditions just may affect the road surface they're traveling over in a very different way in a very short period of time.

It ain't rocket science, got up this morning to get my one kid to work. He drove and despite the roads being bare and dry in our neck of the woods, I still made him aware that he needed to be extra aware because of the recent snow/whatever and that things as simple as a bunch of wet leaves on the road can be dangerous - also gave him shit for not coming out to clear all the ice from the windows and making sure the wipers were ice free and ready to go (Dad thought about this), that that shit just doesn't magically disappear and it is his responsibility, as a driver, to make sure that his vehicle is not the first source of problems when he goes off on a drive.

FraserB
10-21-2012, 12:34 PM
I love the hill from University Dr up to 16th Ave.

Every time it snowed or got icy, I'd see idiots stuck all up that hill, many spinning their tires with winters or stuck on the curb after trying to get over it to drive on the grass. Proper driving would have solved soooo many delays there, oddly enough I could walk right up it with mud terrain tires.

revelations
10-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

Thats going to be hell to clear snow off from that for the operators.

98type_r
10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
A few cities have installed automatic de-icing sprinkler type systems, I don't know why City Hall hasn't explored that yet.

Cowtown_Raider
10-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Was this around 8pm last night, Spikers? I was heading South around that time over the bridge and experienced some high pucker factor. I felt almost no traction and promptly let off the gas and slowed to about 80. I checked my rear view mirror and a couple hundred metres back I noticed a car lose control. It looked like there was nobody around him/her so I couldn't tell if they recovered or slammed into the guard-rail.

Maybelater
10-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Listen, you need a dashcam.

baygirl
10-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater
Listen, you need a dashcam.
Shhhhhh....we need a radar detector more than we need a dash cam lol

cancer man
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Here's an idea Winter Tires..

syritis
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cancer man

truth. i'm mostly amazed at how people move around this city every day without even the slightest concept of physics.

ddduke
10-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by speedog

been driving for 35+ years now

WTF? how old are you?

speedog
10-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
WTF? how old are you?
You know dirt? Not quite there.

revelations
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by cancer man

Stud or studless :nut:

rage2
10-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Stoney was slippery too. I was on the OEM all seasons and the car did not want to stay in the lane. Wish I had the winters on already.

There were tons of cars in the ditch, and traffic was stopped at country hills due to a big accident. Lots of cops and firetrucks.

Fun stuff. All melted by morning.

DeleriousZ
10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I was on my way back from the airport after this happened, the south was pretty bare on the roads, just wet. Up near the airport there was starting to be some snow accumulating on the road. Merging onto deerfoot, everyone decided to speed up, then slam on their brakes down to 50 causing a fun stack up of cars (no accidents at the time I went thru.)

The car got pretty tail-happy with summers on it, but once I got outta the north it was fine.

Aleks
10-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Boosted131
I saw those same ones, was going north though and for some reason north was backed up too

I drive Deefoot 2x per day during the week. Every time there is an accident one way the other side also backs up just as if there was an accident. People slow down to 20-30kmh as they go by to look.

I drove southbound around 7:15ish, bridge was very very slick.

nzwasp
10-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Looking outside, my road in the sw looks very slick and icy this morning. Even has light snow covering it.

I guess the roads have lost their warmth.

Cant wait for tuesdays commute after a forecasted 5-10cm tonight

FraserB
10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
Side roads were slick but the main roads were OK, debating if I want to spend $1100 on winters or just take the bus until January.

My bet is 199 accidents today, between midnight and 3PM which is the time frame I think they report first.

spikerS
10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
meh, even the side roads up north were not bad, and once I hit the collector for the community, roads were fine from Coventry, down deerfoot to memorial. Once I turned east on memorial, the roads got a little slick, but again, nothing bad.

I guess if this is the prediction thread and today is the day, I am going to hazzard a low guess and say 88 accidents with the same criteria as FraserB.

nzwasp
10-22-2012, 08:03 AM
The exit from my community is one of two downhill sections either onto 17th ave sw or 85th st sw. I ended up sliding down the hill onto 17th ave sw and the car stalled too during this process, causing the lady behind me in a bmw suv to get all pissed off that she couldn't speed past me, hate bitches doing that.

lasimmon
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Was pretty slick in the downtown area this morning.

Almost wiped out 3 times while walking to work :rofl:

KRyn
10-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Gah need to drive to Edmonton this coming weekend so I am going to get my winter tires put on this Wednesday. I bet as soon as my winters get on we won't see any snow for at least the next 2-3 weeks! :nut:

rage2
10-22-2012, 08:19 AM
All season stopping distances suck. I have to start braking so early haha.

Wasn't too bad today, but there were a few roads that are snow covered ice.

DeleriousZ
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM
The side road today for me was a sheet of ice, looks like it's time to get those winters on!

nzwasp
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
Whats the best method for dealing with a snow covered hill using a FWD manual car with winters on - brake early but just tapping it lightly, combined with gearing down?

403Gemini
10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I drive Deefoot 2x per day during the week. Every time there is an accident one way the other side also backs up just as if there was an accident. People slow down to 20-30kmh as they go by to look.

This.

I think Deerfoot in general and Glenmore between 14th St SW & Crowchild has at least 1 accident every single day. I spend most days on the road and I cringe every time I have to go past that section on Glenmore

BigDL
10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Main roads in the city were alright, Lower springbank was slick.

Sugarphreak
10-22-2012, 09:29 AM

ExtraSlow
10-22-2012, 09:34 AM
In a maunual trans car, you need to gear down BEFORE you get onto the hill. Gearing down in the middle of the hill is a bad idea in my experience, as it often results in the front tires skidding and you loosing traction.

If I had to chose between gearing dwwon in the middle of a hill, or jsut using brakes, I'd just use the brakes. I'ave had a couple close calls when gearing down on hills.

DJ Lazy
10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

:werd:

Every morning I wake up, I might as well roll the dice to find out if I'm gonna be creeping in traffic coming into Calgary from Airdrie.

This morning was surprisingly not to bad. No accidents along my route. :nut:

rage2
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
My bet is 199 accidents today, between midnight and 3PM which is the time frame I think they report first.

Originally posted by spikers
I guess if this is the prediction thread and today is the day, I am going to hazzard a low guess and say 88 accidents with the same criteria as FraserB.
The numbers are out (it's midnight to 9AM), 4 injury, 42 non injury.

spikerS
10-22-2012, 11:09 AM
I was closer. FraserB, next time I see you, you buy me a pint! :rofl:

clem24
10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Hmm very uneventful drive this morning from Tuscany -> Downtown. Traffic was fairly normal too (starts bunching up around Brisebois). Roads were not slick at all. Tomorrow should be more interesting though.

guessboi
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
+1 tomorrow looks pretty bad...and probably won't be driving for sure...
I still have my summers on my DD and not planning to change it in the garage until November long (the week I change it every yr). :rofl:

spikerS
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM
yeah, Calgary is now part of the snowfall warning for the next 24 hours. Tomorrow is going to be even worse.

https://twitter.com/paul_dunphy/status/260432439053279232/photo/1

nickyh
10-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Bugger :thumbsdow

Disoblige
10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Woo, glad I winterized/stored the motorcycle on Friday. One more day and I would have been screwed. So lucky.

reijo
10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Whats the best method for dealing with a snow covered hill using a FWD manual car with winters on - brake early but just tapping it lightly, combined with gearing down?

As per other response - gear down (only one gear or so ... engine compression can also cause slippage!) BEFORE the anticipated hill .... and then look for traction - e.g. don't follow the shiny tire tracks ... offset the car one way or the other ... or even one wheel on the shoulder (look for gravel) ... That is where the traction is ... not on the polished ice!

Also, we'll be having more Winter Driving Training sessions this winter .... come see us for more tips on driving in treacherous conditions ... We teach "tricks" you can use from competition that we have learned over many years of competition - very, very few schools will give you that!

See the SASC forum in due time for more info: http://sascsolo.ca/forums/index.php?act=idx

Practicing in your car in real world conditions behind the wheel is far, far better than discussing winter driving on a forum.

:)

Reijo

nzwasp
10-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by reijo

As per other response - gear down (only one gear or so ... engine compression can also cause slippage!) BEFORE the anticipated hill .... and then look for traction - e.g. don't follow the shiny tire tracks ... offset the car one way or the other ... or even one wheel on the shoulder (look for gravel) ... That is where the traction is ... not on the polished ice!

Also, we'll be having more Winter Driving Training sessions this winter .... come see us for more tips on driving in treacherous conditions ... We teach "tricks" you can use from competition that we have learned over many years of competition - very, very few schools will give you that!

See the SASC forum in due time for more info: http://sascsolo.ca/forums/index.php?act=idx

Practicing in your car in real world conditions behind the wheel is far, far better than discussing winter driving on a forum.

:)

Reijo

How much do your training sessions cost? being that this is my 3rd winter ever driving in snow (used to live in nz before canada) I could use anything to improve my skills.

reijo
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
We haven't set a price yet but were recently discussing increasing the fee a bit more from last year (think it was $50 for a day)........we were destroying a lot of cones etc. and we want to improve the course even more this coming year so it might be a substantial boost from that ... maybe $100/day......which is still quite a bit cheaper than most schools since we are a registered, non-profit club in Alberta and making money like a business is not in the agenda. Included in this would be an in-door session to begin the day instead of being outside, etc. etc. (details to be worked out ...improvements as I said).

It is also quite cheap compared to a collision.

What you will get: You will definitely get a good "feel" for what it takes to maintain control under various conditions including emergency conditions ... and even what to do AFTER you have "lost control" ... etc.

R

DeleriousZ
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Use the side of the road with the snow piled up on it, snow is much stickier than ice.

FraserB
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
I was closer. FraserB, next time I see you, you buy me a pint! :rofl:

9AM only, still 6 hours of reports to go.;)

Sugarphreak
10-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Kramerica
10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Anybody got any info on the road conditions going down to okotoks? have to drive down there in about two hours but I still have my summer tires on, driving in calgary was okay today, but it I don't want to hit a cliff where the car has no traction.

SIR_EP3
10-22-2012, 02:16 PM
yeah, Calgary is now part of the snowfall warning for the next 24 hours. Tomorrow is going to be even worse.

https://twitter.com/paul_dunphy/status/260432439053279232/photo/1

Sigh...
This means I have to leave my house at 6 to get to work on time :thumbsdow

nzwasp
10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by reijo
We haven't set a price yet but were recently discussing increasing the fee a bit more from last year (think it was $50 for a day)........we were destroying a lot of cones etc. and we want to improve the course even more this coming year so it might be a substantial boost from that ... maybe $100/day......which is still quite a bit cheaper than most schools since we are a registered, non-profit club in Alberta and making money like a business is not in the agenda. Included in this would be an in-door session to begin the day instead of being outside, etc. etc. (details to be worked out ...improvements as I said).

It is also quite cheap compared to a collision.

What you will get: You will definitely get a good "feel" for what it takes to maintain control under various conditions including emergency conditions ... and even what to do AFTER you have "lost control" ... etc.

R

Sounds pretty good - keep me posted.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So, what is your call for tomorrow there Nostradamus? An actual snowfall is coming, not just snow dust, lol.

We should start a guessing thread and see who gets the closest

122 accidents - 14 injury accidents. That's if there is the reported 10 - 20 cm of snow. Who has the link of the accident tally?

M.alex
10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
I put on my snow tires in the middle of the driveway a few hours ago .... why bother doing it when the weather is good, do it when it's shitty :D

reijo
10-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Anybody got any info on the road conditions going down to okotoks? have to drive down there in about two hours but I still have my summer tires on, driving in calgary was okay today, but it I don't want to hit a cliff where the car has no traction.

Just had a late lunch with an old friend who drove up from Lethbridge earlier this morning .... He said roads were pretty bad up to and including around Okotoks .... and now the snowfall coming.....I would not head that way on summer tires.

Rent or borrow a car is what may be in order. Cheaper than ditching the car or getting into a collision! :)

R

DannyO
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Put my winters on yesterday, but either way, with that snow coming tonight, no way I'm driving through rush hour tomorrow....hooray for being able to work from home :clap:

I also highly recommend the Winter Driving course that Reijo mentions above, I only did it once last year but you learn a lot, especially being able to spend around 6 hours in "bad" conditions, going to be doing it again this winter.

SJW
10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I have my Super High Intensity Tires installed

guessboi
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Roads ain't bad this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Kobe
10-22-2012, 05:20 PM
FML I'm suppose to move tomorrow...

AE92_TreunoSC
10-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Installed my new winter slaloms. First year with AWD + winter tires.

Woulda perfered Observes or Blizzak but I have a 5 km commute to work lol.

baygirl
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
I get to drive home at 5 am...should be fun lol

Power_Of_Rotary
10-22-2012, 06:31 PM
maybe there were more accidents cause people were driving and filming ;)

kaput
10-22-2012, 09:35 PM

FixedGear
10-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Suckas, 30 C for the high today here in arizona :bigpimp:

Melinda
10-23-2012, 12:26 AM
And now the warning has been bumped to 30 cm. So glad I have no where to go tomorrow :)

Shlade
10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Roads were BAD around 1130 tonight on crow child, glen more, and Macleoud... Drive safe tomorrow

K3RMiTdot
10-23-2012, 12:32 AM
pretty slippery driving home from work today... good thing i got off so late though, no traffic..
still havent put the winters on yet though... hopefully i can manage till weds

Team_Mclaren
10-23-2012, 01:05 AM
Just got home and the roads are badddddd. Tomorrow morning is gonna suck, thank god I dont work till noon....

baygirl
10-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Fuck me, not looking forward to the drive home in a couple hours:(

A2VR6
10-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Was just on the roads on the way back from Hockey... all I have to say is wow was it ever fun!

It's going to be brutal for the morning commute... might just leave the house at 5:30 so I can avoid all the traffic BS.

Wakalimasu
10-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Went to work at midnightish.. wasn't that bad :O

nzwasp
10-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Just woke up and looked outside, theres easily 15cm on the road up in sw area. Radar doesnt show it stopping anytime soon either.

botox
10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Just got to work. Drove from panorama hills to 20ave and Center St. Then bussed the rest of the way DT. Kind of fun with the little CRV + Winters but the roads were pretty crappy with cars doing 30-40 down center st. Should clear up as more cars get on it. Going to grab a car2go in about an hour to do a few errands so we'll see how that goes :burnout:

Unknown303
10-23-2012, 06:46 AM
I wish people would stay at home if they are terrified to drive in the snow. I hate driving down Deerfoot going 60. and then I'm pretty sure some people started going 40 or less crossing the Calf Robe bridge.. :banghead:

spikerS
10-23-2012, 06:52 AM
roads are shit, but i gotta say, people were driving pretty smart this morning!

Best part was, at 6:00am, NO ONE was in the timmies drive through, I had my coffee in a flash.

Countryhills blvd, people were doing 50 in the 60 zones, and leaving extra room between them, Deerfoot we were doing 60-70 the whole way to Memorial, and then memorial was cake.

But it was funny, listening to 660 news they kept saying how the full compliment of sanders and plows were out, yet I never saw any till I hit Memorial, and then, they were pulled off the side on Memorial, 2 or 3 of them, and the drivers were all outside smoking. Deerfoot being a priority 1 route, looked like it had not even been touched.

ga16i
10-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Deerfoot being a priority 1 route, looked like it had not even been touched.

^ this

Took 30 min at 5:30AM to get from Mckenzie Towne to Douglasglen. None of the lane markers were visible, just a big mess with everyone driving all over the place, especially at exits.

Sugarphreak
10-23-2012, 07:01 AM

KRyn
10-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Pretty excited to get the winters on and be driving an AWD vehicle this year. It looks like a lot of fun out there this morning.

A2VR6
10-23-2012, 07:05 AM
roads are shit, but i gotta say, people were driving pretty smart this morning!

I have to agree... Only saw 1 car in the ditch going SB on Deerfoot from Stoney. SB roads were shit while NB from memorial to 32 ave looked like it was already melted.

Sugarphreak
10-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Phl0xed
10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Drove in from McKenzie Towne to Highfield this morning. Left at 5:50, arrived at about 6:15. Definitely Leaving early again tomorrow. Blackfoot was absolutely horrendous. I figured my winters would have another season left in them, but after this morning, I'll be putting new ones on as soon as I can. Definitely has not been a single plow/sander in the south yet when I left. They should be laying down a bit of sand/gravel before people get on the roads, not after the morning rush and everyone has piled into the accident statistics...

mrsingh
10-23-2012, 07:40 AM
Drove from Kincora to Sandstone and hopped on the bus there. The usual <10 minute drive took almost 20 with everyone creeping along until we hit Country Hills. Definitely missed having my old all wheel drive today, but the TSX with winters and a manual trans handled it like a champ!

hampstor
10-23-2012, 07:48 AM
My 15 minute drive to the train station took me just over 30 minutes. However once I got there, the trains were running great and on time. props to Calgary Transit !

I left my house 15 minutes early at 5:45 (would've been earlier but I cleared my sidewalk), and in the end I arrived at work at the same time.

jaylo
10-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Left half an hour early and took Memorial East from Crowchild to downtown around 6:30 and it was fine

prosh
10-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Loved the 15-25KM crawl down crowchild. Left 20 mins early and got in 15 mins later than usual. Saw a lot of white knuckling and idling all the way down. Trains were packed pretty good, here's hoping the drive home is better.

Strider
10-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Left my house 5 minutes early today and got to work... 5 minutes early :nut:

14 minute commute as usual, with the bad roads and slow drivers being offset by fewer cars in the core, especially around the construction at the CBE building.

Had to weave back and forth around a lot of white knuckling slow drivers on Centre St too.

FraserB
10-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Left at the usual time, got to work at the usual time.

Drove just under the speed limit most of the way and just used engine braking on the hills. I'm also running only 20 psi in my tires.

Still got passed by retards in pickups though.:rolleyes:

roopi
10-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Drove just under the speed limit most of the way and just used engine braking on the hills. I'm also running only 20 psi in my tires.

Should only cars be allowed to pass you?

Strider
10-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Aren't you worse off underpressuring your tires for today's conditions? You'll float on top of the snow/slush instead of digging through.

sexualbanana
Drove down Deerfoot from Glenmore to Beddington. As much as I loathe going less than speed limit, there was no way in hell I was going 100 this morning. I think I touched 77 at one point. Anyways, most people were driving well. But I did see an old Prelude lose traction merging onto Deerfoot about 30 feet in front of me. That got a little hairy.

FraserB
Originally posted by roopi

Should only cars be allowed to pass you?

If you're speeding in this weather and your back end isn't stable, regardless of what you drive, you're a retard.

Originally posted by Strider

Aren't you worse off underpressuring your tires for today's conditions? You'll float on top of the snow/slush instead of digging through.

I just lowered them so my side lugs would bite, below 20 they completely crap out. Spent an hour or so playing with them last night to find something good. I normally run ~29psi since my sidewalls are pretty stiff and I get the best wear at that level.

flipstah
10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
My commute was slick because I still had A/S on. Traction control kept going on but still got decent grip.

Tonight will be a different night though! Winters will be on from UrbanX :drool:

Lex350
10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE UNLESS I KEEP IT UNDER 20KMS/HR!!!!!!

Seriously, why is it that people completely forget (or don't know) how to drive in winter conditions? I really wish as part of the graduated license that there was a winter driving test to pass.

I found the roads to be easier to drive today over yesterday.

nzwasp
10-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I came in from the SW and I thought the road conditions were pretty good. The traffic was brutal though - down 17th ave sw the lights were out on sirrocco blvd / 17th ave sw so I sat in traffic between 85th st and 69th st for about 30 mins. Ended up using side streets through west hills and ended up getting to work in 2 hours.

I think I saw 4 accidents along the side streets alone.

lilmira
10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
1.5hr drive compared to the normal 35min. Third gear was feeling left out. Freaking idiots out there, if you can't drive faster than 30km/h and stay in your own lane, stay home and take the transit.

Flipstah, with fresh winter rubbers, you'll be having fun. You'll really have to push hard to see the stability control light. Just watch out for the idiots around you.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
My wife has been waiting 45 minutes for the #10 Northbound bus... like wtf?

EK 2.0
10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
So, with this thread, the fb statuses, and the tweets...I am definitely just gonna stay and work out of the house today haha...

Only thing...no starbucks to go with my sheesha haha...

djmr2
10-23-2012, 09:04 AM
10 extra minutes for me despite people crawling up shaganappi at 40km/h!

Winter driving is awesome!

SilverGS
10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I came in from the SW and I thought the road conditions were pretty good. The traffic was brutal though - down 17th ave sw the lights were out on sirrocco blvd / 17th ave sw so I sat in traffic between 85th st and 69th st for about 30 mins. Ended up using side streets through west hills and ended up getting to work in 2 hours.

I think I saw 4 accidents along the side streets alone.

Hmm it was back up by around 8 but it was still lined up the hill. I take Sirocco down to get on to 17th on days like this.

20min commute took about 40 min this morning but no major issues just slow and steady and hitting a few more lights when i got stuck with people doing 20.

clem24
10-23-2012, 09:09 AM
1.5 hours from Tuscany to downtown, usually 30 minutes. Traffic was moving pretty much the entire way but at a crawl. First snow outing for the Axe Murderer with headlights. The X-Ice's felt great!

On that note, saw a schmuck in a rear drive BMW E60 spinning his (summer?) tires and absolutely crawling through the intersection at University Dr. and 14th Ave with everyone else blowing by him. Huge :facepalm: to him. Also saw a lady in a RAV4 trying to READ A FUCKING BOOK while going along on Crowchild. Seriously people? I swear the snow makes people dumber somehow.

AaronK
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Took me 40 minutes from Signal Hill to down near Southcentre Mall. The C63 handled it great with winters on, not so much yesterday with the R comp summers :P