PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Vacation

bignerd
10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Looking for suggestions for somewhere that is good to go for Christmas, or places to avoid for that fact as well.

Due to the husbands schedule and days off we would be away on Christmas day. The day itself is not really a big deal for us so I don't care if where we go doesn't celebrate.

Only have about a week, have never travelled at Christmas before.

Would prefer to go somewhere with better weather than here but that isn't a must. I was tossing around the idea of Tokyo as I have been there before and have family there but a week is not a long time to spend there if you are travelling that distance.

cosmok
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Thailand

Tik-Tok
10-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Maui.

I'd agree, 7 days isn't enough for overseas. Between travel, and jet lag, you'd only get to enjoy maybe 3 days.

maxomilll
10-24-2012, 05:32 PM
London

shakalaka
10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
We're probably going to Jamaica.

flipstah
10-24-2012, 10:27 PM
If your total vacation time is a week, avoid >3 hour flights (i.e. stick to West Coast destinations or Mexico).

l/l/rX
10-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Maui.

I'd agree, 7 days isn't enough for overseas. Between travel, and jet lag, you'd only get to enjoy maybe 3 days.

haha... i did HK for 3 days 4 including a travel day. I've been to HK enough times though that I didn't need to do the touristy things. All I did was shop, eat, party and macau. :thumbsup:

taemo
10-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah i would do min 2 weeks for oversea travels but my parents have flown to the Philippines for only a week so HK, Japan is do-able (i wouldnt mind doing it myself if only JPN flights werent so expensive)

You could go Hawaii, Cali, Vegas or Caribbeans.
If you want to visit some cool East cities then NYC, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Florida

flipstah
10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

haha... i did HK for 3 days 4 including a travel day. I've been to HK enough times though that I didn't need to do the touristy things. All I did was shop, eat, party and macau. :thumbsup:

I must meet and party with you.

95EG6P
10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

+1 jamica is one of the best places i been to

bignerd
11-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Jamaica is nice but also quite a bit more pricey over Christmas.

Decided to just go somewhere close and cheap, Puerto Vallarta and Cuba seem to be the best deals.

Any advice for either-have never been to either of them (or anywhere in Mexico for that fact)

flipstah
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Puerto Vallarta is a clean and cozy place to spend Christmas in.

Not the party town like Cancun so don't expect much action but it's not a deadbeat town, to say the least!

adidas
11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Expect the prices to be double during xmas if you plan on going to the caribean all-inclusive resort.

I would honestly say the LA area would be perfect. Enough things to do and see in 7 days and the flights are relatively cheap. The weather is still nice, that swimming is possible in some locations year round.

bignerd
11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Er LA as in Los Angeles??

Have been there a few times already.

Have been thinking about Cozumel? Or the East side of Mexico, really want nice beaches and to maybe do some snorkeling? Cozumel is a little pricier and less selection of dates but sure looks nice.

Whale watching would be cool too but I think that is West side of Mexico??

Weapon_R
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Cozumel is nice but there isn't a lot to do. I'd stay in Playa Del Carmen and ferry to Cozumel for a day. Cancun is also 30 mins away.

GQBalla
11-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Cuba?

i just say that cause im goin decem 13-20

bignerd
11-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Cozumel is nice but there isn't a lot to do. I'd stay in Playa Del Carmen and ferry to Cozumel for a day. Cancun is also 30 mins away.

Do you know any websites that do packages to there? I have been looking mostly on itravel2000 but they don't go to Playa Del Carmen, the do go to Cancun. So it is still a short trip from Cancun to Cozumel?

Chandler_Racing
11-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Going there as well.

Pay a premium given the timing though.

Weapon_R
11-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Do you know any websites that do packages to there? I have been looking mostly on itravel2000 but they don't go to Playa Del Carmen, the do go to Cancun. So it is still a short trip from Cancun to Cozumel?

All flights will take you to Cancun. You have to drive out to playa del carmen. Cancun and Cozumel are both fairly short distances from playa. Playa is a very cool little town

sewerrat
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Have a look at Huatulco Mexico it is in the south west corner and it is georgious there nice and quiet , and lots to do and see, plus the temprature there is usuallu steady around 30 to 33 degrees.

Amysicle
11-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Went to Jamaica last year over Christmas, it was just meh. I mean great location but there were a LOT more seniors this time around (about 70% of the guests) and they formed tight cliques from being there year after year at Christmas time.

If you could stay in the Mayan Riviera, that should put you pretty close to Playa Del Carmen. There are some spectacular ruins nearby that you could see.

Mitsu3000gt
11-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Anyone come across any deals around Dec 22nd to Jan 1 or anywhere in between? So far Florida looks cheapest but I'm open to literally anything.

CapnCrunch
11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Everywhere in the world is expensive at Christmas.

bignerd
11-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Booked our trip to the Mayan Riviera. Turns out we are booked ourselves at the hotel that blew up a couple of years ago and killed a bunch of tourists! Fun.

Thinking about a day trip to Playa Del Carmen, since we are staying right there, maybe a trip to Cozumel and tour of the Mayan ruins, just not sure which ones to go to yet and some snorkelling with turtles.