PDA

View Full Version : LF: Electrician

s dime
10-21-2012, 03:32 PM
I have two ceiling fans with lights that are not working properly. I suspect they were put up replacing two normal light fixtures as they are wired to a single light-switch. One fan will not turn, and the other will make a funny noise when turned on. The lights do both work however. Hopefully not a big job, but not something I want to tackle myself. Any recommendations Beyond?

90accord
10-21-2012, 03:41 PM
The only thing I would be able to do for you is replace the two fans the windings in the motors on the fan are probably toast if the lights are working you probably getting the right voltage to them.

s dime
10-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Hmm, ok. Here is another question. What would the wiring diagram look like for two fans running from one switch. I have replaced ceiling fans before, but only one fan from one switch. Right now, there are 3 wires to the switch, and appears to be 3 wires coming out of the ceiling at each fan. Im confused...

90accord
10-21-2012, 05:59 PM
If it was an after thought and there was one switch previously it could be wired one of many ways, the most common would be a blak and a white from the switch up to the first location then a black and a white tied to those and to the other location, or else it could have a red black and white from the switch and jumped with a red blak and white. The proper way to do a fan is to run a 3 wire up to the first location and jump a three wire out to the other if you want them on the same switch, provided they are the same fan you would tie the black to the lights on the fans and the red onto the fan motors in each box and get a fan control for the fan motors. It's hard to say without knowing what's goin on exactly.